PGA Championship to be on BBC

Dave230

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't live pause, watch it in HD, flick through the channels easily.

Red button TV is a very tedious experience.

The point is they'se shoved it to the rear .. again , just like they always used to. To be fair, because they have no choice.

It was stupid to give the BBC this.

I know the World Athletic Championships are on, which I'm also interesting in watching, but this is supposed to be a major and should be given appropriate billing, just feels like the red button is hidden away. Can't help but think if it was tennis and Andy Murray was involved, they'd shove something else out of the way. At least with tennis as well, if it was red button it would probably also be on EuroSport or somewhere else.

I've just moved into a new house, can't get the iPlayer here or red button, so I'd to end up watching the PGA stream. Pretty frustrating.

I can't live pause, watch it in HD, flick through the channels easily.

Red button TV is a very tedious experience.

The point is they'se shoved it to the rear .. again , just like they always used to. To be fair, because they have no choice.

It was stupid to give the BBC this.

I know the World Athletic Championships are on, which I'm also interesting in watching, but this is supposed to be a major and should be given appropriate billing, just feels like the red button is hidden away. Can't help but think if it was tennis and Andy Murray was involved, they'd shove something else out of the way. At least with tennis as well, if it was red button it would probably also be on EuroSport or somewhere else.

I've just moved into a new house, can't get the iPlayer here or red button, so I'd to end up watching the PGA stream. Pretty frustrating.

Yeah, it's the attitude BBC have to sport and it's frustrating! And the red button can be a nightmare. But the coverage is TNT I think (never heard of it before) and the BBC have just gone with that.

Also the premier league starts this weekend, hoping the golf isn't messed around further.

What I can't understand, is not using bbc4 or something similar and just put the pga on that all day as it just shows crap all day. But it's free to watch which is good but the coverage in truth isn't best, which is a shame as the BBC seem not to care

I'm with the naysayers on this one. I thought it was a travesty when Sky got the Open but after watching last nights effort I suddenly became a Sky Sports golf fan, even though they persist with Mark Roe.

I'm pretty sure that they aren't on the ground, Mark James was talking about the feed coming from America. They have that numpty who knows nothing about golf asking one or two Euro's about their game, the course etc, the players look totally confused.

Nobody on the course whispering into a mike. It's not completely necessary but it does break up the commentary.

As already stated it is relegated to the red button. "I know lets celebrate the fact that we have golf once again". " How should we celebrate?" We'll hide our new acquisition in the deepest darkest depths of our coverage and pretend it isn't happening".

Then we have the commentators. I always loved Peter Alliss always witty and sharp but sadly past his prime. Last night was just sad.

Mark James makes me want to slit my wrists. Three times winner of the world most boring man championships, and twice a runner up. He couldn't inject enthusiasm into his commentary if his life depended on it. And it looks like Maureen Madill attended the Mark James school of life, what has happened to her?

Ken Brown is still Ken, adds a touch of pep, but where is Ken on the course. Probably difficult to do that one from a studio in London and that may be the problem.

Think of those footy games where you know the commentary team are not actually at the game but watching the same stream as you, they always appear flat and so it is with this. Difficult to generate enthusiasm from a few thousand miles away.

All in all a really poor show from the BBC. If this is the best they can do to enthuse the younger generation they might as well give up and give it back to those who will treat it and us with a bit of respect.

​I'll still be there tonight though.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

In the few hours that I watched it last night, the conclusion I came to is that Mark James hasn't made as many mistakes since his singles order at Brookline!

He doesn't seem to recognise half of the players, Peter Allis is actually more switched on than James and that sadly, these days, is saying something.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I'm with the naysayers on this one. I thought it was a travesty when Sky got the Open but after watching last nights effort I suddenly became a Sky Sports golf fan, even though they persist with Mark Roe.

I'm pretty sure that they aren't on the ground, Mark James was talking about the feed coming from America. They have that numpty who knows nothing about golf asking one or two Euro's about their game, the course etc, the players look totally confused.

Nobody on the course whispering into a mike. It's not completely necessary but it does break up the commentary.

As already stated it is relegated to the red button. "I know lets celebrate the fact that we have golf once again". " How should we celebrate?" We'll hide our new acquisition in the deepest darkest depths of our coverage and pretend it isn't happening".

Then we have the commentators. I always loved Peter Alliss always witty and sharp but sadly past his prime. Last night was just sad.

Mark James makes me want to slit my wrists. Three times winner of the world most boring man championships, and twice a runner up. He couldn't inject enthusiasm into his commentary if his life depended on it. And it looks like Maureen Madill attended the Mark James school of life, what has happened to her?

Ken Brown is still Ken, adds a touch of pep, but where is Ken on the course. Probably difficult to do that one from a studio in London and that may be the problem.

Think of those footy games where you know the commentary team are not actually at the game but watching the same stream as you, they always appear flat and so it is with this. Difficult to generate enthusiasm from a few thousand miles away.

All in all a really poor show from the BBC. If this is the best they can do to enthuse the younger generation they might as well give up and give it back to those who will treat it and us with a bit of respect.

You know, after sleeping on it word for word you're spot on. I was happy that it was free but the BBC have been poor, really awful effort

In the few hours that I watched it last night, the conclusion I came to is that Mark James hasn't made as many mistakes since his singles order at Brookline!

He doesn't seem to recognise half of the players, Peter Allis is actually more switched on than James and that sadly, these days, is saying something.

Heard him last night referring to a round he played with Phil Mickelson in the "British Open" - part of me thinks he is deliberately incompetent just because he knows it will annoy people. He seems the type.

You know, after sleeping on it word for word you're spot on. I was happy that it was free but the BBC have been poor, really awful effort

It just felt like a bit of half-hearted effort from the BBC. After the initial euphoria of getting the coverage from Sky wore off, seems like they couldn't be bothered with the hassle of actually doing it right. Shame.

Mark James has always been a toxic mixture of terrible and inappropriate. After Darren Clarke won the 2011 Open he said about Northern Ireland "maybe they'll stop fighting each other", then there's the time that he called Paul Dunne British.

Their studio is in England, surely they would have some budget to be on site? It's the BBC. It's a major!

I'm all for free to air sports but last night made me think twice, i was staggered how poor it was!

You can knock sky all you want (and quite rightly with the cost) but you see the difference in the coverage.

The commentators are an absolute joke!

Peter Aliss - how is he still alive?? and after last night, still on TV!

Mark James - Completely hopeless!

Some scottish woman - i actually laughed how bad she was, especially after the "Pep guardirora" - "Graeme mcdoowel" and "graeme de latt" (trying to spell how she pronounced there names lol)

Totally awful coverage. No HD, no live pause, no recording capability, no repeats. Terrible. For the first time in a long time I don't care to watch, there's no point. Monday morning I'll read about who won.

The PGA royally screwed this up by giving it to the BBC to 'increase' the audience, and then the BBC failed in every way imaginable.

Its as though the PGA were buying Tower Bridge and got London Bridge...and then the BBC gave them the finger.

If they wanted to get it to more people - couldn't they have used youtube? Let people stream it in 4k, bring in a few commentators (even some of the ones the BBC used) - restrict it to UK ip's.

BBC hiding the 4th Major behind the red button until after 11pm is utterly pathetic!

Thankfully i have a mag256 and am streaming the USA coverage in HD with knowledgeable commentators - heck of a lot of ads tho, but still wayyy better than that BBC joke.

As I wrote earlier, for those who remember, the coverage was reminiscent of how Screensport used to operate in the early 90's.

Extremely low budget with commentators in the UK overdubbing the host broadcaster's pictures. No shot analysis, no on course stuff, no replays, no awareness of where the coverage was going next and, of course, no HD. Simply amateurish.

I can't comprehend how the BBC can manage to show tennis all day, sometimes on both main channels, for 14 days, yet shove major championship golf behind the red button. Even Sunday night's final round doesn't merit main channel coverage until 10pm.

eventually found the bbc coverage after searching all listings then going on the internet to find one of the biggest Golf tournaments of the year, ffs!

I tune in and am immediately transported back to the 1980's blurry tv coverage with poor commentary, I squinted my eyes and I swear I saw Stadler Woosnam Faldo and Floyd

BBC coverage of the Golf! Great, so we'll have Peter Allis talking about seagulls whilst Jordan Spieth putts and Ken Brown chasing after a rubber duck.

It's great that it's available to watch in the UK the BBC coverage of Golf is beyond woeful.

woeful, really? when they had the open they had uninterrupted coverage for 8 hours a day, some of the commentators may be past there prime but woeful it definitely isn't.

I have to say the only plus point of The Open on the BBC was no adverts. The commentators were awful. Sky has really gone to town with the shot tracers and commentary team, plus I love the addition of CH3 in the shot centre.

Woeful it definitely was.

I stand by my statement of BBC commentators being awful. Watched most of the coverage on mute last night. Such a shame, Peter Aliss has been outdated with the golf world for 20 years.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

BBC coverage of the Golf! Great, so we'll have Peter Allis talking about seagulls whilst Jordan Spieth putts and Ken Brown chasing after a rubber duck.

It's great that it's available to watch in the UK the BBC coverage of Golf is beyond woeful.

woeful, really? when they had the open they had uninterrupted coverage for 8 hours a day, some of the commentators may be past there prime but woeful it definitely isn't.

I have to say the only plus point of The Open on the BBC was no adverts. The commentators were awful. Sky has really gone to town with the shot tracers and commentary team, plus I love the addition of CH3 in the shot centre.

Woeful it definitely was.

I stand by my statement of BBC commentators being awful. Watched most of the coverage on mute last night. Such a shame, Peter Aliss has been outdated with the golf world for 20 years.

I was expecting a criticism about Nick Faldo's practice regime

It was shambolic!

I have really enjoyed watching Quail Hollow with the Wells Fargo stop in recent years and was really looking forward to seeing the poor mans major on such a great course.

I can look past my Sky Golf bias and see the argument that yes its good for the game to have coverage on free to air tv, and certainly it’s good for those who have no access to Sky sports but by god, for those of us accustomed to golf on Sky, this was a disaster of epic proportions.

• No real advertising, listing or previewing of the event. If you didn’t know BBC were screening it, they were not telling you.

• Hidden away on Red button until 11.15. Nuts!

• No HD content until 11.15 – scandal in this day and age

• Commentators dull as dishwater – Allis, Mark James, Maureen!

• No guys out on course providing their thoughts on the putts, distances, club selections. This is such an easy fix as the BBC 5Live guys are out on the course doing that job for radio anyway, just hook them into the feed!

• No onsite interviews with the players

Honestly, I turned it off after half an hour. I’ll likely watch the conclusion on Sat and Sunday night at 11pm or whenever they switch on HD, but it really is brutal!

The well hidden red button??? Well they spent a lot of our ( in U.K.) money to get this tournament then don't tell us where it's on!!

The coverage is middle class tosh , the almost intentional mispronunciation of well known US players' names , even recent major winners, is cringeworthy at best.

It really is the last bastion of what golf used to be. I love golf tradition, history and etiquette, I am relatively old myself , but BBC needs to look at what it's doing , it's not on Radio 2 , young people enjoy golf and they are the future but have nothing in common with what Allis and the team roll out on BBC golf broadcasts . Rant over

The well hidden red button??? Well they spent a lot of our ( in U.K.) money to get this tournament then don't tell us where it's on!!

The coverage is middle class tosh , the almost intentional mispronunciation of well known US players' names , even recent major winners, is cringeworthy at best.

It really is the last bastion of what golf used to be. I love golf tradition, history and etiquette, I am relatively old myself , but BBC needs to look at what it's doing , it's not on Radio 2 , young people enjoy golf and they are the future but have nothing in common with what Allis and the team roll out on BBC golf broadcasts . Rant over

I ranted pretty much the same to the BBC complaints! Been a little better today....but in truth it's dreadful stuff