2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Spieth moves the needle as much as Tiger

dlygrisse

Anybody who truly thinks Spieth "moves the needle" like Tiger just started watching golf 2 weeks ago.

Well, to say definitively 'no' is foolish too. He's 4-5 years into his career. Does he stack up in terms of moving the needle? No, I don't think so, not yet. But that he's already in the conversation is significant. Gonna have to bump this thread in 20 years to have a more definitive debate.

Won't matter. Whether folks like the phrase or not-see the post below yours- Spieth could have a career closer or even better than Tiger and not move the needle the same.

On the LPGA Wie still moves the needle more than any other player.

Doesn't always make sense.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone moves the saying "moves the needle" into a dumpster, sets in on fire, and rolls it off a cliff into South Pacific so it can join "three metal" "trundle" and "nawn mawls" in their final resting place.

Agreed :) and I started this thread.

Full disclosure I started this thread in the middle of my 3rd glass of Ketel One. :)

So I think my goal was to start a dumpster fire and divert all the attention away from the JS bashing going on in the other threads. He is a fine player, and I hope he is known as the best player of his generation when all is said and done. Why people have this irrational amount of hate for him is beyond me but I will be the first to admit he does NOT move the needle like Tiger, but probably more so than anyone in the game right now.

As for "trundle" who the hell came up with that term? Have you actually ever heard that in real life in actual conversation? 3 metal, don't get me started. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I hope someone moves the saying "moves the needle" into a dumpster, sets in on fire, and rolls it off a cliff into South Pacific so it can join "three metal" "trundle" and "nawn mawls" in their final resting place.

Full disclosure I started this thread in the middle of my 3rd glass of Ketel One. :)

So I think my goal was to start a dumpster fire and divert all the attention away from the JS bashing going on in the other threads. He is a fine player, and I hope he is known as the best player of his generation when all is said and done. Why people have this irrational amount of hate for him is beyond me but I will be the first to admit he does NOT move the needle like Tiger, but probably more so than anyone in the game right now.

As for "trundle" who the hell came up with that term? Have you actually ever heard that in real life in actual conversation? 3 metal, don't get me started. :)

If Jordan wins this week, you are in charge of posting the "Will Jordan Break Byron Nelson's Record Winning Streak?" thread.

If Jordan wins this week, you are in charge of posting the "Will Jordan Break Byron Nelson's Record Winning Streak?" thread.

I got more Ketel in the freezer, so I'm on it! :)

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

This thread is flawed, or at a minimum needs rails. Without a timeline restriction, this could go round and round.

If we're talking about now... Spieth plays, Tiger doesn't. Doesn't Spieth win out of default?

If we're talking about 15 years ago... Spieth was 9 for goodness sake, and Tiger was winning majors.

So what are we talking about?

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Hold ya horses folks besides the obvious fact that tiger has been on tour wayyy longer you can only compare their careers by age. (Tiger is still winning) but in Jordan's defense its harder to win on tour now, when tiger was winning weekly he was the only one in the gym, lifting weights, running and stretching so therefore he hit it a mile I think it was the 1997 masters Tiger had A PITCHING WEDGE into a par 5 while others were hitting 5 irons at the least. He beat everyone because he did something that no one else did back then (the gym) and had an advantage. Now EVERY pro goes to the gym so no one has that advantage now we have people on your like DJ, Rory (huge mcilroy fan) Justin Thomas and Adam Scott where they all hit it over 300 and have potential to win every week. It's impossible for 1 man to dominate the tour like tiger use to. But Tiger changed the game and is better than Jordan when their both in their prime

Hold ya horses folks besides the obvious fact that tiger has been on tour wayyy longer you can only compare their careers by age. (Tiger is still winning) but in Jordan's defense its harder to win on tour now, when tiger was winning weekly he was the only one in the gym, lifting weights, running and stretching so therefore he hit it a mile I think it was the 1997 masters Tiger had A PITCHING WEDGE into a par 5 while others were hitting 5 irons at the least. He beat everyone because he did something that no one else did back then (the gym) and had an advantage. Now EVERY pro goes to the gym so no one has that advantage now we have people on your like DJ, Rory (huge mcilroy fan) Justin Thomas and Adam Scott where they all hit it over 300 and have potential to win every week. It's impossible for 1 man to dominate the tour like tiger use to. But Tiger changed the game and is better than Jordan when their both in their prime

If its so hard to win on tour now

Why is Jordan Spieth beating everyone?

http://youtu.be/yB-JzPBJalA

giphy.gif

Let's not forget DJ was waxing everyone prior to the fall down the stairs at the masters ?

giphy.gif

LOL, I like it frosty cold.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Anybody who truly thinks Spieth "moves the needle" like Tiger just started watching golf 2 weeks ago.

Well, to say definitively 'no' is foolish too. He's 4-5 years into his career. Does he stack up in terms of moving the needle? No, I don't think so, not yet. But that he's already in the conversation is significant. Gonna have to bump this thread in 20 years to have a more definitive debate.

Won't matter. Whether folks like the phrase or not-see the post below yours- Spieth could have a career closer or even better than Tiger and not move the needle the same.

No golfer will move the needle like Tiger did. Tiger was the right person in the right place at the right time. All the stars were aligned for Tiger; a stagnant tour with no dominant player, a sport with a 'rich white guy'image, bland unathletic fields, the internet and social media about to explode. Tiger was the perfect package, and he played the role perfectly. No matter how well Spieth plays he won't generate the same hype as Tiger.

The Tour today is built around short runs of great golf. Remember a few years ago Kaymer was supposed to conquer the world? Then Rory? Then Jason? Then Jordan? Then DJ? Justin came out of the gate like a thoroughbred this year, now Jordan has momentum. WHO will be next?......Nobody will move the needle like Tiger did! Nobody!!......

No golfer will move the needle like Tiger did. Tiger was the right person in the right place at the right time. All the stars were aligned for Tiger; a stagnant tour with no dominant player, a sport with a 'rich white guy'image, bland unathletic fields, the internet and social media about to explode. Tiger was the perfect package, and he played the role perfectly. No matter how well Spieth plays he won't generate the same hype as Tiger.

TW was in the *wrong* place.

He just took it upon himself to beat the living crap out of everybody and every obstacle in front of him.

Fuzzy and his ilk was the first vaporization ; )

The rest of the establishment was next.

Then, new heights, new definitions of greatness, new expectations and possibilities.

Inspiration for generations to come.

Surely the OP was only saying that JS moves GolfWRX Forum members' needles?

Or....something like that.

:)

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The Tour today is built around short runs of great golf. Remember a few years ago Kaymer was supposed to conquer the world? Then Rory? Then Jason? Then Jordan? Then DJ? Justin came out of the gate like a thoroughbred this year, now Jordan has momentum. WHO will be next?......Nobody will move the needle like Tiger did! Nobody!!......

That's the media trying to hype up anyone who might help them with ratings, none of them were ever close to being Tiger.

Tiger was a phenom, he attracted non-golfers to the sport because he not only won, but he dominated his competition and people appreciate greatness. There is more parity today, Rory probably has the best tools to dominate but Spieth has the fire and drive to win.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I wish you people singing Hosannas for Woods would quantify "moved the needle" in some rational manner or even explain what in the plueperfect hell "moving the needle" means! Give a rational argument about what Tiger "did for golf" that isn't getting done currently every weekend on the Tour. Yep, I was around and was/am a Tiger fan but I've been around long enough to know there are no "unbreakable" records in sport--none, and if not Spieth then someone sometime will surpass Woods.

I wish you people singing Hosannas for Woods would quantify "moved the needle" in some rational manner or even explain what in the plueperfect hell "moving the needle" means! Give a rational argument about what Tiger "did for golf" that isn't getting done currently every weekend on the Tour. Yep, I was around and was/am a Tiger fan but I've been around long enough to know there are no "unbreakable" records in sport--none, and if not Spieth then someone sometime will surpass Woods.

Quantify?

17 PGA Tour wins and a career Grand Slam of Majors in 2 years.

Thats more than Rory has done in 9 full years.

Quantify?

But it's not just the accomplishments. It was the aura that surrounded him. He was like a rock star. The only sports figures close were Jordan and Ali.

And then he f'd it all up.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Quantify?

But it's not just the accomplishments. It was the aura that surrounded him. He was like a rock star. The only sports figures close were Jordan and Ali.

Ahhh, $hit happens ; )

How bout this to cheer you up,

In 13 months, from 8/99-8/00, TW won as many PGA Tour events and Majors as Rory has won in 9 years.

Quantify?

Ahhh, $hit happens ; )

In 13 months, from 8/99-8/00, TW won as many PGA Tour events and Majors as Rory has won in 9 years.

Holy Moses, I've never seen it put that way.

Quantify?

Ahhh, $hit happens ; )

Yeah, but Xander Schauffele has won more PGA Tour events in the last month than Tiger in the last 3, almost 4, years.

Funny how selective use of dates works.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome