2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Review of the VA Composites Raijin

Roadking_6

Raijin hybrid compared to DI hybrid? Thanks...

Very Interested in this comp as well

thinking of switching my driving iron shaft from ad-di hybrid 95s to the Raijin hybrid 84 s

any views Please?

Hard to describe, I have the Raijin tipped half an inch and it is definitely firmer than the DI untipped.

Flight is similar, maybe slightly lower with the Raijin, spin is about the same I would say.

Feel - I actually prefer the DI and may switch back to that in my #3 hybrid.

Raijin is fantastic though, it's really splitting hairs at this point. Definitely would recommend anyone to try it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just put my order in for the Raijin hybrid. Should be built and ready to go hopefully by Mother's Day. Will report back after hitting it.

Coming from DI 85x which was too stiff, and I am generally dropping all the x - flex stuff from my bag, so dropped down to the Stiff flex in the Raijin.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out to test my new Apex 20* with Raijin Hybrid stiff flex. Really great hybrid shaft. Would totally recommend it. I had the same head in a 85x Tour AD DI which was just a hair too stiff for me. The Raijin in stiff flex is not far off in stiffness from the X flex in the DI, yet still very stable. Stable feeling, easy to swing and the ball flight was nice mid/high and piercing. I did not over-draw with this shaft like so many stock hybrid shafts. I feel like I'm actually in control of a hybrid for the first time that I can think of. Plus, it looks really cool. (Also, the Apex hybrid head is super good.)

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Finally got out to test my new Apex 20* with Raijin Hybrid stiff flex. Really great hybrid shaft. Would totally recommend it. I had the same head in a 85x Tour AD DI which was just a hair too stiff for me. The Raijin in stiff flex is not far off in stiffness from the X flex in the DI, yet still very stable. Stable feeling, easy to swing and the ball flight was nice mid/high and piercing. I did not over-draw with this shaft like so many stock hybrid shafts. I feel like I'm actually in control of a hybrid for the first time that I can think of. Plus, it looks really cool. (Also, the Apex hybrid head is super good.)

this is really insightful

i want to try this hybrid

ad-di ok, but not enough life for me - pro white too boardy - even flow blue i like, but dispersion is a question ...wondering about this...

thanks

any other takes welcome

• 2 months later...

ad-di ok, but not enough life for me - pro white too boardy - even flow blue i like, but dispersion is a question ...wondering about this...

thanks

any other takes welcome

anyone have a take here?

appreciated

• 2 months later...

thanks

any other takes welcome

anyone have a take here?

appreciated

I can share some insight - I was just fit this past weekend and I hit the Rajin (Drago and Slay also) in driver, 3w and hybrid.

Out those shafts you listed above, Raijin was better than them all in terms of feel vs performance. Surprisingly enough, the Drago which has a more stiff tip, didn't feel too much different for me. I commented to the fitter I could have gamed either. Rajin was just giving me slightly better numbers overall. Got fit for 64X in driver, 74X in the 3w and 84X in the hybrid. For whatever reason Raijin launched and spun a touch lower than Drago, which is the opposite of what you'd expect.

I also hit the Accra Zx465 475 and 485 (Dr,3w,hy) and could have gamed those, too just in terms of feel. Numbers just slightly favored Raijin but I did happen to hit my longest shot with the 465 in driver. Give ACCRA a look, too.

I also hit the Atmos TS blue in the hybrid (not good for me) & Diamana Thump 90X. Thump was also very good but I couldn't quite time it as well, I think due to the loading point being a touch closer to the handle than I prefer. Rajin seems to load much more in the middle than other lower spinning shafts.

The one thing I will say about the VA shafts is that they feel smooooooth. For a 290cpm driver shaft, this thing was effortless to load. Drago was maybe a hair more stable but there wasn't much in it. Slay kicks and loads quite a bit... We tried it in the 3w but even in X flex it was too much loading for my taste.

Hope that helps.

I'll look through the thread again, but do we have a ballpark for the prices on these shafts? Sine there's only a handful of places in Canada (in Ontario and one in BC) that are dealers, most of us may never have a chance at testing one.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I'll look through the thread again, but do we have a ballpark for the prices on these shafts? Sine there's only a handful of places in Canada (in Ontario and one in BC) that are dealers, most of us may never have a chance at testing one.

You can get Raijin for $350 and Drago for $300. Slay I'm not sure because I didn't really go down that route.

You can get Raijin for $350 and Drago for $300. Slay I'm not sure because I didn't really go down that route.

Good to know. Now to determine if the dealers in Canada will ship shafts.

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Well, TXG might (In Toronto) because that's where I hit them.

I need to book a flight out to see them. Wish we an affiliate out West. We're so lacking for these things here

I need to book a flight out to see them. Wish we an affiliate out West. We're so lacking for these things here

Ya I don't mean to be a fan boy but the experience I had there was absolute top notch. Not only did I get a super fitting but I felt like I got a mini lesson, too.

If you do end up going, let them know I sent you! Maybe they'll give me a discount on my fitting next year hah.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Just hit the Raijin 84 in my hybrid at Club Champion.  I was blown away at the feel and consistency. I had not heard of VA shafts until I went in for that club fitting.  I knew about Oban and have gamed a few shafts previously, so I had a feeling they would be solid.  Thinking about getting the Raijin in my 3 wood as well.  

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Odyssey Ai-One Milled Eight T