Back from a week at Whistling Straits/Erin Hills...

dcmidnight

Appreciate all the good nuggets I had gotten from the forum, had a spectacular trip to Wisconsin. Will do a full writeup at some point but was absolutely blown away by the golf.

If you told me at some point in the future that the Straits Course and EH were ranked 1/2 in the country now, I wouldn't argue with you. I thought the layouts were that good from the first tee to the 18th green. In fact, from a golf perspective, I think its a joke that either of those two courses are ranked behind Pebble Beach.

Couple of random pictures.

Erin Hills post round

Erin Hills, 9th Tee

Straits Course

17 Tee

18 Tee

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow looks like you had beautiful weather while there! Awesome pics

A+ playing weather. In fact for the 4 rounds we played at WS, my phone said 68* every time I went to post a pic at the beginning of the round. I actually thought it was broken at one point lol.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Courses:

Blackwolf Run (River / Meadow Valleys)

Whistling Straits (Irish / Straits)

Erin Hills

Flew Southwest into Milwaukee - quick, cheap and easy. Hardshell golf cases checked for free, never one single issue. Had lunch at a brewery in Milwaukee Friday afternoon (Lakefront) that had excellent food/beers but was ironically not actually on the lake but a little canal/river. Perfect weather to be eating outside on the water. They had a patio/dock setup on the water where people were pulling up kayaks and paddleboards to eat. Really good spot. Cheese fries, fried cheese curds and liverwurst sandwich = A+. Weight = rising. Absolutely recommend for anyone thats in the area.

Got into Kohler Friday afternoon and decided at the last minute to try and play the River Course. We were scheduled to play it Sunday morning but at the time the forecast was for storms Sunday morning. No problem at all, tee sheet was empty when we went over so they sent us out. The range at Blackwolf Run was...pretty average I thought. Its a smaller, two sided range and both times we were there they werent allowing shots over 250 yards. Kind of disappointing for a place with two big courses.

But the River Course itself was solid. Lots of fantastic carries off the tee with a couple of *really* narrow chutes. Loved the look of it. One of the par 3s I posted a pic of was 205 yards, river down the right with the green just perched seemingly in the middle of the river. Just a stunning hole. I could see how this course could be tightened up and play as an amazing tournament track.

My only complaint would be that BR kept the greens running way too fast (on both courses) considering the undulation on the greens and how small some of them were. When we played there (Fri/Sat) the shop guy said they were as fast as he could remember them being but that since it was scheduled to rain Sunday, they were letting them firm up. Which would be fine on flatter greens. But with the undulations and smaller size of the greens, they got to be a little bit absurd. Didn't ruin the enjoyment though.

Post round drinks up on the patio which was an A+. You can watch people finishing on the 18th of the River Course - which is a long par 4 with a huge bunker all down the left side - and watch people finish 18 on the Meadow Valleys course, which includes a tough 2nd over water. Really, really great spot. Had food/beers here 3 nights.

BR River course - 9/10.

Played the Meadow Valleys course Saturday. Definitely felt completely different than the River Course and really did feel like you were in the middle of farm country. Couple of beautiful old barns out there with some great sightlines. Some excellent holes and a couple of really great Par 5s. I think its still ranked in the Top 100 in the US which isnt suprising, its a great track. If that course was in the DC area it would probably be a Top 5 course. There were a couple of ticky tack holes that weren't that great but still a really fantastic course overall. I'd say it was my "least favorite" of the 5 courses we played last week but thats a pretty high bar

BR Meadow Valleys course - 8.5/10

Sunday was an off day, got some rain in the morning but we were able to walk around a bit after that. Drove down into Sheboygan but again, not a lot going on so they were pretty quick trips. After walking around the docks and seeing the wind/waves rolling in, I can only imagine how cold that is in the winter.

Had a Monday afternoon tee time on the Irish course. The two WS courses are @ a ten minute drive from Kohler, couldnt be easier to get to. One thing Wisconsin seems to be good at is building dead straight roads, so you take one road for a few miles, take a right and then you literally run into WS.

Met up with our caddie (Austin) who was great for both rounds. Former Navy guy that had moved up there when his wife took a job. Super caddie. I had been driving the ball great for the first two days so he kept pointing out "alternate" lines on a lot of the holes including a couple of the par 5s that I was able to reach in two by taking the agressive line. It was so much easier playing a course like this with a caddie. You could do it with just a yardage book but IMO it would be really tough.

What a beautiful course though. I dont know why the people that I talked to who didn't like the course didn't like it but I absolutely loved it. 2nd favorite WS course.

WS Irish Course - 9.8/10

Tuesday afternoon was the Straits course. I had been looking forward to playing this course for years and it managed to exceed expectations. Weather was just dead on perfect, high 60s with a 3-5 mph breeze most of the day but zero gusts, zero rain. I had been playing well for 3 days so bit off a bit more and played back on the blue tees. Unfortunately my driving felt just a bit off all day but thankfully everything was findable and playable. Posted an 82 but it ended up being @ a 6 differential. Felt like I played way better than I scored.

Playing the 18th was one of the highlights of the trip. The 18th is a split fairway/option hole with the right side being the safer/layup side that leaves you @ 200 in. If you want to try and carry the bunkers on the left, you'll have a much shorter shot but it is a long carry all over bunkers. Given the way I'd been driving it, I was definitely going for it. It was @ 260 to carry the last bunker and I hit it absolutely perfect, faded back slightly but it carried the bunkers, landed on the downslope and ran into the first cut with @ 130 left. With everyone watching from up on the patio, I hit a soft PW to 8 feet. Thankfully I have a good video clip of that. Even my caddie was really pumped after that, what an awesome way to finish.

Every hole at the Straits Course has something going on. Either a safe/agressive option off the tee or an option on the approach to hit some different shots - or both. A lot of visual intimidation too from the blue tees, you just have to trust your caddie/book to hit the shot as far as he tells you. To say nothing of the absolutely stunning views of the lake on just about every hole. Pics probably tell the story better than I am, I really cant say enough good things about the course. Its the best course I've ever played, period.

WS Straits Course - 10+/10

Checked out Wed AM to head to Erin Hills. Upon further review, I honestly dont get all the hype over the American Club in Kohler. Supposed to be this 5 star, amazing property and I thought it was...just OK. Very big place so the restaurants were always crowded with big groups or on two nights, wedding groups. And if you've ever stayed in an older B+B you know how you can always hear people walking around above you or the floors creaking? It was like that, only exponentially more expensive. Talked to a guy at WS that was mentioning how many good Airbnb options there are now up there, definitely would make for a great option on a future guys trip.

Erin Hills

Got in Wednesday noon, scheduled to play that afternoon and Thursday morning. From the first minute you drive in, the entire property itself is just stunning and you really are/feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. On the outskirts of the property - the range and the entrances specifically - there seems to be a lot of cleanup/construction still going on from the Open. But you dont hear any of it once you are out on the course. In fact, you dont really hear much of anything once you are out on the course since it is walking only. I love that.

From the getgo though you realize that the hills there are really no joke. All of the tv talk or reviews, nothing can really prepare you for the hikes up/down almost every hole. We only saw one group that attempted to carry their own and two of them got a caddie at the turn. It just seems like one of those things you dont do, walking is hard enough. I'm sure you *could* but with the caddies are available I'm not sure why you would want to.

I played pretty good golf both days. Posted a 77 on Day 1 (14 holes) and a 79 on Day 2 - both were @ a 3 or 4 differential. Continued to drive it well and at EH I didnt miss many fairways. As long as you followed your caddies line, you had plenty of room to work with. The 2nd day it was blowing 15-20 mph pretty consistantly but I think I hit 12 fairways. I did miss the 1st on both days, same exact thing, drove the ball down the left center and it bounded into the hazard. Dropped, hit the ball onto the fringe (220 or so to the hole both days) and two putted for par.

18 on Thursday was dead into the wind, 613 yards on the GPS, 629 to the back. I hit driver, 3W, 4i - all flushed - short of the green. If I had to have one nit, this is just a stupid finishing distance hole from the green tees (6750) even when the wind wasnt blowing. Flipside of not enjoying that hole was getting a great eagle on 14 - downwind par 5 that was @ 510. Crushed a drive that left a 4 iron in. The green on your 2nd shot plays uphill and is half blocked on the left side by a big mound short of the green. Caddie says, play a 200 yard shot right over that mound. Hit it perfect, ball lands right where he wanted it on the green and falls right over a ridge to 6 feet. Back of the cup for an eagle.

Without question, these were the best greens of the trip. Rolled absolutely pure and seemed to be at a speed that matched the contours. Caddie (Frank) was awesome, highly recommended.

We had a room on the ground floor of the lodge that had a door right out onto the patio/fire pits. Really cool. Lodge only had 11 or 12 rooms so it is really small but they also have 4 or 5 cottages on the property (I think they are all 4 beds) that look like they would be a great option for a group trip. Its too bad the season is so short up there, man what a track. WS/EH are definitely my 1/1a courses. Its hard to say one is "better". But having played played a few other Top 10 courses over the years, its easy to say that these two are better than all of them. Without question.

Course rating - 10+/10.

Overall

I honestly couldn't pick a favorite between the Straits Course and Erin Hills, I think they are both that good. Trying hard to think but IMO there's not a real throw away hole between those two courses. By contrast, from a pure golf/shot making/design standpoint, I think there are @ 9 or 10 throw away holes at a place like Pebble Beach. I think they are currently rated @ #4 and #8 and that is really underrating them IMO. These two could easily be the top 2 rated courses in the country - and I dont think thats just recency bias.

Couldnt have asked for a better trip. I wish we had been able to sneak Sand Valley in while we were at it but it was just too long a drive. After talking to a guy that had driven up there, he said the greens really needed another season to grow in better, so I think we made the right call.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Yeah, can't go wrong with either course. Sure, a few minor quibbles here and there, but in the end they present some seriously good golf.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Wisconsin has some amazing golf. As a Michigander I wish golf in Northern Michigan was developed later like Wisconsin. N MI has so much golf and none of it is really stand out while Wisconsin is getting alot of great courses being built at a much better time for golf architecture. 1 and 2 in the country for WS and EH is a little much (I personally prefer Lawsonia Links to both) but the quality of golf in Wisconsin can't be denied and is only going to get better.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Wisconsin has some amazing golf. As a Michigander I wish golf in Northern Michigan was developed later like Wisconsin. N MI has so much golf and none of it is really stand out while Wisconsin is getting alot of great courses being built at a much better time for golf architecture. 1 and 2 in the country for WS and EH is a little much (I personally prefer Lawsonia Links to both) but the quality of golf in Wisconsin can't be denied and is only going to get better.

You're a man after my own heart.

Give me Lawsonia Links over any course in the USA! IMO its the perfect golf course.

I played both the Straits at Whistling and Erin Hills back in mid-August. Both are fantastic courses, the views at Whistling are beautiful and you don't feel like you are in the middle of the heartland. The weather at Whistling was perfect, 75 and sunny, wind only 5-10 mph. Only had a one blow up hole on number #6, I landed my approach in the pot bunker and after my 3rd attempt to get out of the bunker, I decided to play it backwards towards the fairway. Ended up shooting an 88(14 handicap) so I was extremely happy with my round. Erin Hills was a completely different story. It rained early that morning and the whole day was overcast with winds 25 mph, gusting to 40. Hole 16 was playing 178 yards that day and was directly in to the wind, I used my 3 hybrid of the tee(225 club) and barely made it on the front of green. Highlight of my round was an eagle on 15 though. Playing 328 yards down wind, I hit driver off the tee and landed 15 feet left of the pin, left a slippery down hill but my caddie gave me the perfect line and ball rolled in center cup. After playing both courses, I preferred Erin Hills over WS. EH is laid out perfectly and has great flow to the course. EH will probably end up becoming a yearly trip for me.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...

Here a couple pictures of Whistling Straits.

Great pictures. I am playing there in a few weeks and cannot wait!

Enjoy! I am already itching to get back up there. A group of us were debating between another round there or Erin Hills before the year is over. EH is offering a free round with paid round and a hotel stay the last week of October so 3 of us are heading there.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

Can you do me a small favor? Somewhere in the WS clubhouse there is a small framed photo hanging on the wall that was taken before Herb and Pete started moving dirt. I believe it's a black and white photo showing a flat farm field along the lakefront. Can you take a picture of the photo?

A lot of folks don't realize that WS was flat farmland before the bulldozers turned it into its current form. I haven't been able to find the photo online.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Can you do me a small favor? Somewhere in the WS clubhouse there is a small framed photo hanging on the wall that was taken before Herb and Pete started moving dirt. I believe it's a black and white photo showing a flat farm field along the lakefront. Can you take a picture of the photo?

A lot of folks don't realize that WS was flat farmland before the bulldozers turned it into its current form. I haven't been able to find the photo online.

That's right. Until 1960, it was an airfield used by the military to test anti-aircraft weapons. Wisconsin Electric bought it and held it with the intent of building a nuclear power plant, which was ultimately constructed at Point Beach to the north. The land was vacant until Kohler bought the property from Wisconsin Electric in 1995, then constructed the Straits Course which opened in 1999.

Sure thing!

Great post and pics ... need to do a road trip !

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

• 4 months later...

Doing a trip of 12 in June. Any dining suggestions? Have 2 nights at Kohler, 1 in Erin

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA