TaylorMade M3 and M4 Drivers and Metalwoods

ludeatude

This may be premature but it appears that TM is going to be releasing new woods in the first quarter next year....does anyone know if the M3/M4 will be going on discount soon?...possibly December?

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never able to turn my M3 driver over for my normal ball flight and I lost more right on bad days than ever before (worked through 3 shafts including the one I was fit for). I played the Ping G400 for a month or so and lost significant distance. I worked back to a M2 with Black HZRDUS and it is the longest and most forgiving of the three for me. I also prefer it's feel and look so I am set.

I recently picked up a mint M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Tour Limited shaft and it is early but I think maybe I have finally found a 3 wood that will stay around. That shaft/head combo seems great for me.

I am very pleased with the M2-M4 combo and last Saturday had my first even round of the year.

I think, for the most part, M4 is the most popular head of this series, and honestly I think we've sold M4 in the fairways at least 3/1 over M3. Most people, even very good players, seem to go M4 in the fairways.

M4 fairway wood is without a doubt the best looking at address.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I was never able to turn my M3 driver over for my normal ball flight and I lost more right on bad days than ever before (worked through 3 shafts including the one I was fit for). I played the Ping G400 for a month or so and lost significant distance. I worked back to a M2 with Black HZRDUS and it is the longest and most forgiving of the three for me. I also prefer it's feel and look so I am set.

I recently picked up a mint M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Tour Limited shaft and it is early but I think maybe I have finally found a 3 wood that will stay around. That shaft/head combo seems great for me.

I am very pleased with the M2-M4 combo and last Saturday had my first even round of the year.

I think, for the most part, M4 is the most popular head of this series, and honestly I think we've sold M4 in the fairways at least 3/1 over M3. Most people, even very good players, seem to go M4 in the fairways.

The M4 fairway is brilliant, long and forgiving when required.

Having been the only one at my main club with the M4 driver in the bag at the start of the season, I saw another half dozen members on tees with it on the bag. Before the price drop! It must've done alright in testing.

• 2 weeks later...

The M4 fairway is brilliant, long and forgiving when required.

Having been the only one at my main club with the M4 driver in the bag at the start of the season, I saw another half dozen members on tees with it on the bag. Before the price drop! It must've done alright in testing.

I hit the M3 all year, and didn't really have any big challenges, but I didn't love it. I had an older M2 and traded it in on a 8.5 M4 and put the Tensei PO in it. I am now officially in love...it sounds and feels far better than the M3 did for me, and it's REALLY straight.

I may be backtracking on comments from earlier in the year...with a caveat

Earlier in the year I spent time with a tm rep trying to replace my 16 m2. I hit m3 440 and m3 460 in all sorts of lofts and setups (same shaft as my 16 m2). 16 m2 beat every m3 combo by 15+ yards.

I've been on a bit of a search to find the eventual 16 m2 replacement since quality heads are harder to find these days. I cracked 2 m2 driver faces last year so if I do the same this year then I'll be forced to find something.

Tried a g400 lst yesterday after launch monitor testing showed nearly identical launch and spin numbers as the 16 m2. Launch monitor testing showed a draw bias for the lst so I took it on course and it was either really good or TERRIBLE. Hit it head to head with the 16 m2 on every 0ar 4 and 5. Through 11 holes I had missed 3 fairways with the m2 I had 3 balls OUT OF PLAY with the lst.

Took the lst back to the store and decided to try an 8.5 m4 only because I've read the m3 and 4 launch higher than m1 and 2. I was seeing good launch numbers with an 8.5 lst so I figured I should give it a go.

Immediately saw the same launch conditions as my 16 m2, if anything, a slightly higher launch (.5-1 degree). The "hmmm" moment came on several shots where I called "pull" almost immediately after contact. Looked at the screen and the ball is pulled but is falling softly right. Dispersion was fantastic. So now I have an 8.5 m4 in the bag to demo and go head to head with my 16 m2.

Anybody prefer the Atmos staff in the M4? Years ago I loved my Ping G5 driver in grafalloy prolaunch blue. Unbeknownst to me, the prolaunch is a high launching shaft. I had really good results with it. I play an x-stiff usually and wonder if I should be considering the M4 in x-stiff atmos at 9.5 since it's higher launching or go with the tensei shaft in 9.5. It doesn't seem that there is usually much talk of the stock offerings since most people on here have dialed in their favorite shafts. I have not. For a matter of fact, I have always bought drivers in whatever their stock shaft is and gone with that and have no experience with almost all of the shafts discussed on the forums. It's never really been a problem with any driver I have had but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so I am now wondering which one to go with since my store has both in stock. If they didn't, it would have solved the problem for me on it's own. I'm sure this isn't the right way to shop for a driver.

An aftermarket shaft can make a big difference. Like you, I've generally stuck with a stock shaft, But about 4 years ago, with my Bio Cell + I tried, with some success, messing around with different shafts. And the Hzrdus black that I put into my current Cally Fusion about 15 months ago transformed it into a great driver from a very straight but "nothing too special" driver.

Having said that and always trying to find the unicorn driver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now my SS is around 93 and I've never hit an X-stiff shaft until 2 years ago when I hit the Cobra F7+ with a Hzrdus black 6.5. Hit it great. High bombs with low spin that rolled out pretty well (on a LM) but I just couldn't pull the trigger and play an "X".

So a couple of days ago I pick up a 9.5 M4-D with the stock Atmos (Red) in "6X" in the store just for fun. Turns out a couple of kids had the store salesperson "make up" the club since it didn't come stock that way. I haven't gotten along with any TM driver since the Tour Burner ('07 ?) so I wasn't expecting anything.

I got roughly the same ball speed as my Fusion BUT with spin in the 2000 range and so was getting about 10-11 yards more carry with excellent control. Club sounds great and it was pretty smooth swinging it and easy to find the center of the face. But just like the F7+ I hit, an "X" ??? I swapped out the shaft with a 6S and it wasn't nearly the same. I was back up to around 2600 spin rate again and therefore, of course, lost those extra 10 yards of carry.

TM doesn't even offer the 6X as a stock option in the M4-D. I expect if I ordered one they'd ship it that way,,,,,,, and at least I wouldn't be putting out a couple of hundred bucks to experiment with an exotic X shaft. From what I've learned the stock Atmos is a proprietary shaft, i.e. a "made for" and described as "Red" by TM so it's not one of the exotic(?) Tour Spec models. And it's supposed to be a mid-mid (or high-high ?)so I'm not quite sure why the "X" was so low spin while the "S" wasn't but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Will have to try the club a couple of more times indoors to see if I can easily reproduce the numbers with the X

After 10 years of basically trying one and hating it TM is on my radar again.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X