TaylorMade M3 and M4 Drivers and Metalwoods

ludeatude

I have had mine for a while now. It launched way too high with the stock Tensei White. I couldn't get the ball flight through the window that I would like on my good days. I ended up playing it at the lowest loft setting but it just opened the face up too much considering I play a shot that naturally goes right. I upgraded shafts to an EvenFlow Black and it has transformed my flight and lessened my spin rate a good touch.

I keep this club in the fairway more consistently than any driver I have had in the past 2 years. Whenever I can turn it over and play a slight draw it goes forever for me, If I get that shot shape working during the round I know I am golden because it wont drift horribly left and I can go after it pretty solid.

How's the M4 for those who have played a lot with it?

What I like about my M4 10.5 as compared to the Cobra F6 10.5 it replaced is the M4 responded very well to my cranking the loft setting up to 12.0 degrees.

When I upped the loft setting on the F6 the ball a) did not fly any higher, b) did not carry any farther and c) stopped in its own pitch mark when it hit the ground.

The M4 at 10.5 hit an extremely low and piercing hard-running shot that lacked a bit in carry and hang time (my swing is 90mph on my very best days). Taking it up to either 12.0 or 12.5 gained me a few yards of carry, a couple yards of extra elevation and the ball still runs like a jackrabbit when it lands. Best of all worlds seems to be the 12.0 setting.

In my recent (last several years) driver experience I've found two standouts. A couple years back I had a 12-degree Ping G SF Tec with which I could hit the longest-carry, highest, most beautiful ball flight tee shots of my life. It did lack a bit in runout but the great carry distance made that a moot point. Its real drawback [pun intended] was that I had to play for it to draw-draw-draw which meant that once in a while when I got double-crossed with a block or push I was in serious trouble. I just can't stand having to play with a two-way miss always lurking on the tee shot.

The Cobra F6 helped me hit more straight shots and when I did miss it was the big block, hooks or pull-hard-draws were not a problem with the F6 like they had been with the SF Tec. But I was not getting those beautiful high rainbow balls and I didn't always get enough roll to make up for it.

Now the M4 seems like it has a sort of magic Goldilocks ball flight. Not super impressively high but more of a boring shot that still has good hang time. And when the fairways firm up, the roll is extreme. Unlike yourself I don't necessarily need the draw to get that bit runout. I get some suprisingly low straight balls too.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nemesis shot is the huge block 40 yards offline when I make a big turn away from the ball and then fling my arms at it without turning my body back toward the target. When I do that I swing miles from the inside and then catch the ball slightly high and very much toward the toe.

I have been surprised that when I do hit those shots with Twist Face on the M4 the result is not a bit worse than with my F6 or my old G SF Tec drivers. It's still going to be heading toward the trees (usually dead straight or maybe try to work a tiny bit back toward the target at the end) but no deeper in the trees than with any other driver.

I do think Twist Face helps when I occasionally fell that big block coming and sort of instinctively flip my hands to try and save it. Those inside path then flip swings would just go nowhere with my other drivers and sometimes the M4 turns them into a big sweeping hook that comes back more or less in play. But we're talking maybe once a round, if that. Mostly when I do the get trapped and block it thing, it's the same old block no matter what driver.

Just finished my first Trackman fitting in quite some time, honestly wasn't going in with the intention of trying the TM options first but had a hit of the M4, Rogue and the F8, all showed a significant enough improvement particularly with dispersion over my old X Hot.

But it was the M4 in 15* that came out on top, didn't miss anything left and it had a slightly better flight(higher) and beat out the other 2 marginally distance wise. Paired it with an Accra FX series shaft which we also went with in the hybrid, again the M4 won that battle, the Rogue hybrid was 3m longer but the dispersion on the M4 was as tight as you can get.

Couldn't find any reason to switch from my old 910 D3 driver though, which to my surprise beat out everything.

Very happy with the new TM clubs that are on the way.

Just won a TM M3 driver at my club today. I get my choice of the Tensei Blue or Tensei White (Non Pro version). Which shaft should I select as I have not hit either? Is the white super boardy?

Hey TMS....if your speed and launch needs fit whiteboard profile then get tensei white....both are super smooth.....just flight/spin dependent....

Just won a TM M3 driver at my club today. I get my choice of the Tensei Blue or Tensei White (Non Pro version). Which shaft should I select as I have not hit either? Is the white super boardy?

Hey TMS....if your speed and launch needs fit whiteboard profile then get tensei white....both are super smooth.....just flight/spin dependent....

Thanks man!

I finally received my me with tensei pro white after the shaft being back ordered. First impressions are great. It seems to launch a little higher then my ping G LST but with lower spin. I've only been able to play a quick 9 comparing the 2 so far but on good shots the m3 went about 8 yards further. I also had a few bad misses ( a slice) where I was surprised to find my ball a few yards off the fairway. The same shot with my ping G usually equals a ball OB. I still plan on doing .ore testing to see which one stays in the bag but things look promising with the M3

I liked the feel of the white, it wasn't harsh but it just didnt perform at all for me. I got an Evenflow Black off the BST and it has absolutely transformed my M4. I dont want to rave about it too much because I have never hit a driver this well and this far before. Dont want to jinx it.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

I liked the feel of the white, it wasn't harsh but it just didnt perform at all for me. I got an Evenflow Black off the BST and it has absolutely transformed my M4. I dont want to rave about it too much because I have never hit a driver this well and this far before. Dont want to jinx it.

Thanks! It’s going to be in a M3 8.5 head and just didn’t know if the white shaft would be too low spin/low launch and boardy.

It is definitely not super low spin. It does a good job but you wont be dropping huge RPMs with it if that is a concern. Launch was higher than my Evenflow, nothing egregious just not the shape I preferred. Feel was nice, definitely a smoother shaft.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

It is definitely not super low spin. It does a good job but you wont be dropping huge RPMs with it if that is a concern. Launch was higher than my Evenflow, nothing egregious just not the shape I preferred. Feel was nice, definitely a smoother shaft.

Thanks for the background! From your perspective, how do you think the white would perform in the M3 fwys?

Any more reviews that can be shared on the M3 3wood?? Comparison to 2017 M1 would be a bonus! Thanks!

I’m working on this now. I’ve had the 17 M1 3 wood in the bag for awhile. Tinkering with a M3 3 HL last night and tonight. I’ll report back.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Thanks for the PM with loads of info, much appreciated!

Any more reviews that can be shared on the M3 3wood?? Comparison to 2017 M1 would be a bonus! Thanks!

I’m working on this now. I’ve had the 17 M1 3 wood in the bag for awhile. Tinkering with a M3 3 HL last night and tonight. I’ll report back.

After two rounds and a range session, the M3 is outperforming the M1. I have used my Ahina 70 is both heads. The M3 is a little hotter off the face. It’s also helping that it’s a 3 HL (17) vs the std 3 (15) in the M1. M3 is staying in the bag.

I have had my M4 for about a month now. I was fit at the Kingdom for the Tour AD-DI shaft. I played a few tournaments with this combo. I have to say, the twist face actually works. There were a few shots that I hit on the heel or toe and thought, "Oh well, that's going to miss the fairway"...only to watch it stay straight and land in the fairway. However, if I really went after it, I could over-cook it into the left.

I have since bought an aftermarket Tesnei Pro Orange from Will Peoples to go in the M4. Holy Smokes!!! This is one long and Super-Straight combo. You can go as hard as you like and it will not go left. I just stand on the tee now and try to hit the crap out of it with the knowledge that it will go right down the middle.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I almost never hit a shot anywhere near the heel (toward the toe is a different matter) but I will say for that one shot every couple rounds in on the heel I've never seen a driver shrug that off like it's no big deal. The ball starts out like a low cutter but never quite gets around to much of a cut and the hang time ends up being pretty respectable.

If I were the sort of player who's prone to two or three heel-jams a round I'd never touch any driver other than M4. Not really seeing any great magic on the high toe misses but it's a heel-miss fixer like no other.

Update: Cracked my M3 on course yesterday. Hit a drive that sounded weird, checked the sole... Crack right along the 460 line below the weight track heel side. TM sending me a new one and emailed me a return label. Hoping the new head gets here soon.

Who did you contact / talk to for them to verify the crack? I’m in a similar situation. Emailed taylormade customer service?

Hoping this is the right place. Has anyone experienced a crack on the bottom of the m3 driver? I just noticed this and wondering if it's CF overlay or the housing is CF and it's cracked? Does this affect performance? You can feel the crack by touching it too. It's circled in yellow below.

Just call Taylormade customer service 1 (866) 530-8624. They'll request pictures to review and determine whether or not the damage is a manufacturer defect or misuse. Based on the pictures, it's clearly a manufacturer defect. They'll send you a replacement driver and you'll return yours using the included prepaid label once the new one arrives. Pretty simple process and they are super fast.

Do you guys prefer the M3 440 or 460 version?

For me...460. Goes a little higher and is easier to hit.

I like the 460 more. I don't have either of the new models, but I hit them at my local demo day this past weekend. I'm not in the need for a new driver, but I asked the rep how many guys he had seen go with the 440 over then 460. He said he had not fitted a single person into the 440, and he didn't know of any guys on tour using it. It's not so much that the 440 isn't performing well, but there's not a good enough benefit for guys to go with it over the 460.

Thanks shakey. I still have my Nike Vapor Fly woods and am looking at maybe going to the M3 this year. Really only need a shaft change as ball speeds are actually higher with the Nikes, but I've got a good deal at Taylormade that the cost of a new club won't be too much. Any thoughts on them would be great.

I like the 460 more. I don't have either of the new models, but I hit them at my local demo day this past weekend. I'm not in the need for a new driver, but I asked the rep how many guys he had seen go with the 440 over then 460. He said he had not fitted a single person into the 440, and he didn't know of any guys on tour using it. It's not so much that the 440 isn't performing well, but there's not a good enough benefit for guys to go with it over the 460.

I always wondered about this especially since the most wanted driver test has the 440 winning by a bit. The rep mention anything about cracked faces or heads? Really like the M3 but holding off on shelling out $500 as more and more stories coming in of cracked heads/faces. Makes me wonder if the tour heads are built to higher specs as tour players can't have this issue while playing in tourneys.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

I've had the m4 d-type driver, 3 hl, and 5hl with the tour ad iz 7s for a month or so now

The driver is so-so, the fairways are fantastic. The 5hl is really performing well for me and as a low ball hitter I am surprised I can get the 3hl off the deck too

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

The 440 head looks so much better to my eye behind the ball. I love that deep face...

I always wondered about this especially since the most wanted driver test has the 440 winning by a bit. The rep mention anything about cracked faces or heads? Really like the M3 but holding off on shelling out $500 as more and more stories coming in of cracked heads/faces. Makes me wonder if the tour heads are built to higher specs as tour players can't have this issue while playing in tourneys.

They're not, and if they did crack one there are 50 in a drawer in the van they could switch to in 5 seconds

And if you get one and it cracks, they will make it right

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2