TaylorMade M3 and M4 Drivers and Metalwoods

ludeatude

Another range session w the m3 and got dang if it ain't the longest, straightest setup I've had in a long time.

Sh00terMcGavin can attest -

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the M3/M4 have new face technology which helps reduce dispersion. From the story I was told a new hire engineer straight out of university came up with the concept. Exactly what the technology is I don't know but I'm told TM super excited for this driver. The hammerhead slot is re-engineered too so it retains more ball speed on low face hits.

Cool that you actually go the the scoop! Well done!

Anyone else notice a noise difference in the M3 when moving both weights forward - vs having them in one of the back positions?

Could just be me.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Gave it a go today on the course and it went great. Drives were carrying about 10-12 yards longer than my average drive with my M2D. Hammerhead seems way more important than twist face. My misses were not far enough off the center to see if the tech actually made a difference. The IZ shaft is the DI with more stability, great combo.

Gave it a go today on the course and it went great. Drives were carrying about 10-12 yards longer than my average drive with my M2D. Hammerhead seems way more important than twist face. My misses were not far enough off the center to see if the tech actually made a difference. The IZ shaft is the DI with more stability, great combo.

I have that exact combo on the way and also a 3hl and 5hl with the iz 7s

Hearing your results is good!

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Anyone else notice a noise difference in the M3 when moving both weights forward - vs having them in one of the back positions?

Could just be me.

Yes, it sounded terrible when weights were to far forward. But sounds perfect with weights in or towards the rear.

M1 10.5 Deg. Fujikura Pro 60
R9 FCT 3 & 5 metal Fujikura Motore
Ping I-20 3-PW KBS Tour S
Ping Glide 52SS & 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Craz-E too putter Ultra Slim
Super Stroke 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

How’s the M4 for those who have played a lot with it?

Saw a caved in one at a local shop the other day so that is still happening. Even with the firmer face

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Anybody gaming the M3 3hl? Still pissed at myself for getting ridding of my '17 M1 3hl.

I’ve sort of hijacked the 3HL demo from my store. I keep rotating between it and my 2017 M1 std 3. I like the looks and the feel, but I haven’t quite gotten it figured out. Not sure if it’s shaft or the setting. So far my M1 is just a better fit for me.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Has anybody else upgraded from M1 to M3 fw that can share thoughts?? I was playing 917 driver and fw last year, but picked up an M3 driver this spring and think it'll be staying in the bag. Thought I could save a little money and go 2017 M1 3w, but I really dislike the sound and feel in comparison to the M3 driver. Is the M3 fw an improvement?

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

How's the M4 for those who have played a lot with it?

I really like it, i messed up though and got a 10.5*, launching too high. Changed shafts and brought it down but didnt like the feel. Now I'm on the search for someone in the opposite situation so we can trade!

i will honestly say the "twist face" has probably saved me some strokes, my miss is a toe hook, hit one the other day that usually would have just dove straight down and left and it actually got in the air and wound up just left of the fairway. With my M2 that would have been OB for sure.

I really like it, i messed up though and got a 10.5*, launching too high. Changed shafts and brought it down but didnt like the feel. Now I'm on the search for someone in the opposite situation so we can trade!

i will honestly say the "twist face" has probably saved me some strokes, my miss is a toe hook, hit one the other day that usually would have just dove straight down and left and it actually got in the air and wound up just left of the fairway. With my M2 that would have been OB for sure.

^This. Lot of people who are saying that Twist Face is a gimmick, and maybe it is, but what I can say for sure with me is that my typical miss, a toe hook, just doesn’t snap hook OB the way it did with my M2 now that I have the M3. Call it whatever you will but I can and have seen it multiple times where I look up expecting a snap hook and it’s just a big draw that ends up in the left rough.

I think it is not so much a gimmick is something that is very effective for a very specific type of swing flaw. Kind of like those closed face drivers benefit a certain type of slicer, the Twist Face helps a certain group of high-toe hookers and low-heel cutters.

High-Toe Hooker.,,sounds kinda like High Plains Drifter.

I just got a 2017 M1 tour 8.5 driver head with hotmelt. It's pretty darned good, but I haven't hit the M3 yet (trying to resist). I DID order an M4 Tour 3W though. It should be shipping any day now. Pretty excited to try it out and see if it's an upgrade from my 2016 M1 3W.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

m2 2017 speeder evolution 661 is a good combo, have an m3 coming will be hard to beat it out

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

m2 2017 speeder evolution 661 is a good combo, have an m3 coming will be hard to beat it out

I had a '17 M2 K head and thought the same thing... Hit my buddies M3 and it knocked the M2 out of the bag by the 3rd swing.

By the way TM got me a replacement for my cracked head head shipped to me inside of a week, happy with the warranty service.

Has anybody else upgraded from M1 to M3 fw that can share thoughts?? I was playing 917 driver and fw last year, but picked up an M3 driver this spring and think it'll be staying in the bag. Thought I could save a little money and go 2017 M1 3w, but I really dislike the sound and feel in comparison to the M3 driver. Is the M3 fw an improvement?

Not what you asked but I went from the 917 to the M3 and tossed a Motore Speeder 6.3 VR Tour Spec shaft cut 1 inch short on the M3. The M3 won a fitting for me when I had my mind set on the Rogue or Ping.

Yesterday I played the course I live on with the HS coach's. Zero fairways missed and after playing this course hundreds of times starting in my 20's and playing through my 40's as a 5 HC or less, now at 59 I had an all time long drive on one very long par 4 yesterday. The coach said he had only seen one drive close to that on that hole and it was back during a club championship round when a competitor killed one.

Of course this driver has not made me magically long all the time BUT, I have never hit this many fairways (probably due to the short shaft I am seeing way better dispersion) and my distance is every bit as long as it has ever been. My SS only sneaks up to the 103 - 104 area but if I can produce that and then have the short shaft allow me to hit it on the screws, It gets out there for me and in the short grass.

I can work it both ways usually and my biggest miss in golf use to be the hook OB left off the tees. This has not happened once with this set up and again I contribute this to the shorter shaft. I don't get it as far inside on the takeaway because it makes me feel my shoulder turn takes a little less time and my tempo down is better not trying to rush to the ball. That may make zero sense but please don't tell me because my head believes it and things are good right now :-)

I LOVE this setup!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Not what you asked but I went from the 917 to the M3 and tossed a Motore Speeder 6.3 VR Tour Spec shaft cut 1 inch short on the M3. The M3 won a fitting for me when I had my mind set on the Rogue or Ping.

Yesterday I played the course I live on with the HS coach's. Zero fairways missed and after playing this course hundreds of times starting in my 20's and playing through my 40's as a 5 HC or less, now at 59 I had an all time long drive on one very long par 4 yesterday. The coach said he had only seen one drive close to that on that hole and it was back during a club championship round when a competitor killed one.

Of course this driver has not made me magically long all the time BUT, I have never hit this many fairways (probably due to the short shaft I am seeing way better dispersion) and my distance is every bit as long as it has ever been. My SS only sneaks up to the 103 - 104 area but if I can produce that and then have the short shaft allow me to hit it on the screws, It gets out there for me and in the short grass.

I can work it both ways usually and my biggest miss in golf use to be the hook OB left off the tees. This has not happened once with this set up and again I contribute this to the shorter shaft. I don't get it as far inside on the takeaway because it makes me feel my shoulder turn takes a little less time and my tempo down is better not trying to rush to the ball. That may make zero sense but please don't tell me because my head believes it and things are good right now :-)

I LOVE this setup!!

It is always about the Shaft..

I LOVE this setup!!

Thanks for sharing, that's great to hear. Were you a fan of the 917? I liked it a lot actually, but think I may like the M3 even better. I like your shorter shaft plan. I didn't choose to go shorter, but the Fuji TS Pro 63 that came in mine was cut down to play 44.5". My plan was to flip the shaft and find another at standard length, but I'm really liking the shorter as well. I've only been able to get mine out a couple times, the first jumping around trying to dial in the settings on course, and then for one 18 hole round. Certainly did not hit every fairway, but I think I will be hitting more fairways once I get used to the fact that this driver only wants to go straight (as I have it set). I usually worked the ball both ways with 917D3, but I'll just start aiming more down the middle. I know I could play with the weights to give me some more workability, but both weights all the way back with the sleeve in the lowest lofted setting felt and worked so well for me. I did try adding loft and moving weights forward to give some more workability, but I couldn't find a setting where I felt like I had enough control moving the ball. Plus I like sound and feel the most with the weights back. I'm looking forward to getting it out more, best of luck to you with yours.... I hope it keeps performing for you!

Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Any more reviews that can be shared on the M3 3wood?? Comparison to 2017 M1 would be a bonus! Thanks!

Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX

I LOVE this setup!!

Thanks for sharing, that's great to hear. Were you a fan of the 917? I liked it a lot actually, but think I may like the M3 even better. I like your shorter shaft plan. I didn't choose to go shorter, but the Fuji TS Pro 63 that came in mine was cut down to play 44.5". My plan was to flip the shaft and find another at standard length, but I'm really liking the shorter as well. I've only been able to get mine out a couple times, the first jumping around trying to dial in the settings on course, and then for one 18 hole round. Certainly did not hit every fairway, but I think I will be hitting more fairways once I get used to the fact that this driver only wants to go straight (as I have it set). I usually worked the ball both ways with 917D3, but I'll just start aiming more down the middle. I know I could play with the weights to give me some more workability, but both weights all the way back with the sleeve in the lowest lofted setting felt and worked so well for me. I did try adding loft and moving weights forward to give some more workability, but I couldn't find a setting where I felt like I had enough control moving the ball. Plus I like sound and feel the most with the weights back. I'm looking forward to getting it out more, best of luck to you with yours.... I hope it keeps performing for you!

I think you will continue to enjoy the shorter shaft. Yes, I liked the 917D3 a lot with the Speeder 74 tour spec shaft. The only reason I needed to change was because......of this forum. Everyone was picking the Rogue and G400 over it so i had to get a fitting LOL. But, in the end this has made a difference in my scores and feel like at the current trend I may drop a couple of points on my HC. Of course this game is fickle and I may add a few to my HC at any time LOL.

Enjoy your M3 and hit it well!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I had my doubts about whether M4's "Twist Face" feature would be problem for me or not. Lord knows I hit plenty of shots high and toward the toe and, generally speaking, the push-block-toe-jam drive is my nemesis shot. But I got one anyway, go figure.

I've played about a dozen rounds with it so far and based on the nine rounds for which I have detailed stats I've got to say it works better than the Cobra F6 I'd been playing since mid-2017. According to my Strokes Gained app:

My driving for the last 40 rounds with F6 averaged -4.9 strokes relative to Scratch, hitting 50% of fairways with an average driving distance of 192 yards and a 75th percentile distance of 210 yards.

For the nine (recorded) rounds so far with M4 those numbers are -4.0 strokes relative to Scratch, 53% of fairways and 204 average/220 75th percentile.

The average distance stat reflect the overall performance including bad shots, one that are way off line, shots that hit trees, etc. It says I'm 12 yards longer on average than with the F6.

The 75th percentile stat is meant to reflect how far I hit my good shots. It says I'm 10 yards longer on my best drives.

Any time I can hit slightly more fairways and pick up 10-12 yards that's a winner in my book! I'd say the 9/10 of a stroke improvement in Strokes Gained is probably a fair assessment of what the M4 has bought me in terms of performance. I certainly don't hit any more big blocks than I used to.

Any more reviews that can be shared on the M3 3wood?? Comparison to 2017 M1 would be a bonus! Thanks!

Smallish looking (perfect IMO) but very playable. Very easy to work. Really good off the turf. It sounds and feels like the m2 16, didn't play the 17 fw. Get the right shaft in it and it's hard to beat.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I have had mine for a while now. It launched way too high with the stock Tensei White. I couldn't get the ball flight through the window that I would like on my good days. I ended up playing it at the lowest loft setting but it just opened the face up too much considering I play a shot that naturally goes right. I upgraded shafts to an EvenFlow Black and it has transformed my flight and lessened my spin rate a good touch.

I keep this club in the fairway more consistently than any driver I have had in the past 2 years. Whenever I can turn it over and play a slight draw it goes forever for me, If I get that shot shape working during the round I know I am golden because it wont drift horribly left and I can go after it pretty solid.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.