TaylorMade M3 and M4 Drivers and Metalwoods

ludeatude

i work part time at a golf store and these are number 4 in terms of sales. 1. Cally rogue 23. Ping g400s 3. suprisingly cobra f8. then the taylormade is number 4.

i have hit them all extensively and have bounced around in what i liked. I feel that for me the M3 is very good. i really like how it feels and sounds. i was playing with the settings Friday and found that with one weight all the way forward and the other in the most fade setting i was getting really really good numbers. the next time i am at work i will take a pic of the numbers and post them.

Have had a bout with the lefts on my M3 and I switched into these settings late last week and I am back to a much more neutral flight. Liking the T1100 a lot in this head, and even though I'll probably test out a couple others in the stable, but I think there's something in this setting (1 weight forward, the other all the way back either fade/draw).

how's your spin numbers with the T1100? i've contemplated...lol

I thought you were gaming the Synergy Black?

i was in the G400 non-LST; made some swing changes and now i do not need the incredibly low spin, extreme low launch of the Synergy Black - i wasn't spinning it enough to get it up for any decent consistency (sub 1600's spin).

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any testing or bagging the M4 Driver in 12.0 degrees vs the lower lofts? I hit one at a local demo days and was shocked how far it went and how easy it was to hit I should say.

I have the 10.5 M4 adjusted to 12.0 using the hosel adjustment (in the flat lie setting). I'm thinking M4 must be a pretty low-spin head because the 12.0 setting gets me a bit more carry but the ball still lands and runs out very well.

My previous driver (Cobra F6 10.5) when adjust to 12.0 degrees would just stop where it landed, more like an iron shot than a driver.

Any cuts or hooks I accidentally hit with the M4 are very mild. Like hardly any curve at all. It's been a great driver for me.

P.S. I'm a lefty and did not have the option of a 12-degree clubhead, if they made one that's what I would have bought for my 90mph swing.

Thank you for the feedback and sounds great. I think I am going to pick one up and put it up against my current gamer.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Has anyone had any testing or bagging the M4 Driver in 12.0 degrees vs the lower lofts? I hit one at a local demo days and was shocked how far it went and how easy it was to hit I should say.

I used an M2 HL 2016. I heard the M3 and M4 were higher launching, so I went with the 10.5 in M3 and for me, they launch about the same. I also gamed an M2 10.5 at first, but it was lower launching. Just something to keep in mind. Our inland courses here in SoCal are pretty dry (golf courses cheap + drought watering rules sometimes) except after a rain. I hate having high carries with beautiful looking shots but they don't roll out as much. :D

Just got a Skytrak so I will be playing around with the head settings soon.

Using pure stock shafts, (stock m2 fujikara in reg flex, then the m3 stiff Tensei blue, both with the M3 head) I get the same numbers. My swing speed probably isn't fast enough for there to be a pronounced difference maybe.

The M4 driver is definitely a high launcher. I went down to a 9.5 vs the 10.5 in my 917 D3 head and with the same shaft see very similar launch numbers.

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

Who's gaming the M4 Tour 3w? Already picked Gio's brain on it, anyone else?

I just got one and have only hit it at the range and played 9 holes with it. Came from a 2016 M1.... so far, so good. We will see how my consistency is with it to know if it can kick the M1 outta my bag though. I have a feeling the biggest difference is going to be the shaft I got in it. The M4 Tour has a Fuji Pro 73 Tour Spec x flex.... an upgrade shaft. It feels a little stouter than my M1 shaft.

ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I used an M2 HL 2016. I heard the M3 and M4 were higher launching, so I went with the 10.5 in M3 and for me, they launch about the same. I also gamed an M2 10.5 at first, but it was lower launching. Just something to keep in mind. Our inland courses here in SoCal are pretty dry (golf courses cheap + drought watering rules sometimes) except after a rain. I hate having high carries with beautiful looking shots but they don't roll out as much. :D

Just got a Skytrak so I will be playing around with the head settings soon.

Using pure stock shafts, (stock m2 fujikara in reg flex, then the m3 stiff Tensei blue, both with the M3 head) I get the same numbers. My swing speed probably isn't fast enough for there to be a pronounced difference maybe.

Thanks for this! Very useful and helpful.

Did not think my Epic SZ could get kicked out of the bag. I really like the Epic SZ and I am going to hang onto it. But, tonight we had the TM Demo guys at the club with a TrackMan. Numbers don't lie. I had to go with the M3 AD BB 7X. Felt so smooth and it was high bombs. Granted I play my Epic at 44", but I picked up almost 20 yards on average at 45" with the M3. Numbers were basically perfect for me. Swing speed went up, ball speed increased, lowered spin, smash stayed the same in high 1.4s, launched it a degree higher and it was landing on a better angle. Can't wait to get it.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Did not think my Epic SZ could get kicked out of the bag. I really like the Epic SZ and I am going to hang onto it. But, tonight we had the TM Demo guys at the club with a TrackMan. Numbers don't lie. I had to go with the M3 AD BB 7X. Felt so smooth and it was high bombs. Granted I play my Epic at 44", but I picked up almost 20 yards on average at 45" with the M3. Numbers were basically perfect for me. Swing speed went up, ball speed increased, lowered spin, smash stayed the same in high 1.4s, launched it a degree higher and it was landing on a better angle. Can't wait to get it.

Wait until you try the M3 fairway, just as good as the driver!

What shaft money?

Got some new TM goodies on their way. Went with the M4 12* with the Atmos Red 5S shaft at -1” (44.75”) and a M4 5wood with Atmos Red 6S shaft standard length. Going to crank the driver down to 10.5* so it sits a little open hopefully and see if it can dethrone my ST180 HL driver set at 10.5*. Pumped!

Oh forgot I also ordered the 10gram weight from BillyBobs to get that SW right if my custom order request at D3 doesn’t pan out.

What shaft money?

I have the Tensei white in mine currently. I’m thinking about a PO though...

Anyone here added a 3rd weight to the M3? I like my drivers to come in around 206g. I’ve read that the heads weight about 198-200g without the adapter, so I’m thinking of adding a 5g or 8g weight to the head that TM sells. I know I can add hotmelt to the head, but I’d rather not void the warranty on it. Thanks.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I have the M4 D 10.5 with an Attas Cool shaft coming this week, mid launch low spin shaft, pretty excited

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Absolutely loving the performance of my M3 driver, but is anyone else having problems with the weights sliding around and making noise at impact? It does on just about every shot and I can't seem to make it it stop. Anyone know of a fix? It's pretty aggravating.

The movable weights in the Y track won't lock?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Any high spin/High launch guys playing the M4 D type cranked way down in loft? Curious how your results are

Debating grabbing a M4 D Type 9.5 head and throwing it into my Hzrdus black 75g and cranking the loft down.

The point of the dtype is to stop it from going right. If you crank the loft down you open the face

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Absolutely loving the performance of my M3 driver, but is anyone else having problems with the weights sliding around and making noise at impact? It does on just about every shot and I can't seem to make it it stop. Anyone know of a fix? It's pretty aggravating.

The movable weights in the Y track won't lock?

Yes they do lock, well as much as the wrench alows me to, but I can still hear and feel them shifting around slightly at impact. They make a “clicking noise”...my weights are both set to the forward position. I’ve only played TM drivers for quite a few years now and have never experienced this.

Any high spin/High launch guys playing the M4 D type cranked way down in loft? Curious how your results are

Debating grabbing a M4 D Type 9.5 head and throwing it into my Hzrdus black 75g and cranking the loft down.

The point of the dtype is to stop it from going right. If you crank the loft down you open the face

Yes i Know but I would assume the 12-20 yards of draw they claim you get from the heel weight will be more than opening the face up 1-3 degrees

Wow! didn't think I would reach the end of this thread. I'm very pleased with my M4 D as 10.5 does fly high but I have a UST Mamiya Attas Cool shaft coming mid launch low spin. I have the stock Blue Tensei shaft in it as it's a nice shaft. Whatever it is the Twist flex face or hammerhead I don't know but it's works and I'm a believer.

Played my best round so far it this was the 1st time using my new M4 D. Only missed 1 fairway as I only missed it by 2 yds. Ground is little soft right not much roll as I can see this thing reaching places in the fairway I've never been before. I'm sure the M3 is just as nice as I just don't like all the moveable weights options.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Been using my buddy's M3 440 and loving it so far. Thinking about picking one up for myself. Has anyone tried it with the Even Flow Blue? I hit the Rogue with the Even Flow Blue 65g Stiff shaft and loved the feel of that shaft, but haven't been able to try it in the M3 anywhere.

[size=3][color=#0000ff][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Taylormade M3 440 10*
Taylormade R7 TP 15*
Titleist 816h1 19*
Ping G400 4 - 7
Ping i200 8 - UW (Power Spec Lofts)
Mizuno MP-T4 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Futura X7 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/color][/size]

I don’t really notice any difference in performance between the M3 460 and 440. I LOVE the look of the 440, so that’s what I end up playing. Performance for me is a step up from M1/M2 in dispersion, and possibly distance (although I feel the Copperhead shaft paired with this head is a perfect match for me).

Side note, I’ve recently played the new Titleist AVX... and with this driver it is longer than I’ve ever hit the ball... and I’m in my mid-forties.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Side note, I’ve recently played the new Titleist AVX... and with this driver it is longer than I’ve ever hit the ball... and I’m in my mid-forties.

I had been playing AVX for about several months with my Cobra F6 and it was the longest I’d ever hit my tee shots. Then I got my M4 a couple months ago, cranked it up to 12.0 loft and the combo with AVX is unbelievable. It’s like I can combine max carry (from high loft) and max roll (like a low loft driver) at the same time with no trade off.

Same here. It is seriously the fountain of youth with respect to distance gains, especially off the tee with driver... and I do not find it to be low launching either.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Spent some time on the range this morning hitting a M3 10.5 (set at std loft...weights all the way to draw and fade) with the Maru Green 60 Stiff. I pulled a few at first, but starting hitting big high baby fades. Easy combo to hit.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I don’t really notice any difference in performance between the M3 460 and 440. I LOVE the look of the 440, so that’s what I end up playing. Performance for me is a step up from M1/M2 in dispersion, and possibly distance (although I feel the Copperhead shaft paired with this head is a perfect match for me).

Same, the 440 just appealed to me so much more than the 460 visually. Personally I don't find it unforgiving that a 460 head would be needed. Put my Green Mamba Xtorsion in it last weekend and thus far the results are very positive.