MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Interested for Aimpoint (time/cost dependent)

That should skew your "central location" just a bit, pulls it out of MoCo and into PG

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

Oh now we want to treat new guys with soft fuzzy gloves... interesting.

c'mon tex, you know the drill.

first, we reel them in with niceities.

then we strap attack.

oh noes! our secret is out!

giphy.gif

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Not sure about Tiger making the cut.

The rough there always seems tricky. It's that kikuyu (or whatever) and Tiger hit fewer fairways than anyone at Torrey. That doesn't sound like a great combination.

His putting bailed him out a bunch at Torrey, but isn't Riv where the Po pops up every day and no one makes putts there?

I'm going to go with "no".

But, also, Tiger.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You know how during the masters, they have coverage of just a couple holes on the website with a couple guys commentating? I wish they did that with #10 at Riviera.

I wonder if it'd get boring after a while. I don't know. It seems like the most interesting golf hole they play all season.

PGA Tour app MIGHT do that. They often have a featured group and a featured hole.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTT: probably not, but it'd be nice to see tiger on the weekend again.

GTT2: what is your understanding of a proper golf swing?

it's a huge question. be as detailed or as flippant as you like. i'm having trouble conceptualizing how my body should work/move in order to deliver the club properly to the ball with any realm of consistency. these are the thoughts that plague a rabid winter golfer.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTT: probably not, but it'd be nice to see tiger on the weekend again.

GTT2: what is your understanding of a proper golf swing?

it's a huge question. be as detailed or as flippant as you like. i'm having trouble conceptualizing how my body should work/move in order to deliver the club properly to the ball with any realm of consistency. these are the thoughts that plague a rabid winter golfer.

understand THIS

Questions for the INTRACLUB CONFLICT I: THE HONEY POT CONFRONTATION captains:

1) Are we thinking a draft here? Can it be live? Will we have detailed analysis of each pick? I think one of us should get the "Fat kid picked last for elementary school kickball" treatment.

2) Could me or Nerf be paired with or against Siegel at some point? With an 11:30 start at NW, we've hatched a plan to stop at Taco Bell beforehand to fuel up. We would then use that to truly test whether Siegel has a sense of smell or not.

3) Will either captain solicit counsel from our last Cap Cup captain Tex, who singlehandely cost us a victory by agreeing to a 3 hole aggregate playoff against Eagle led us to a tie against a tough DC Tour team, losing only in a hard fought overtime battle?

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I made huge strides at the end of last year after conceptualizing the face of the club to be more "swinging door" than "straight back straight through". I realized I was kind of holding off the natural rotation of the clubface, which was causing me to be kind of tight through the entire swing. Swinging door thought has me much more relaxed. Once I latched onto that thought, I started making better contact instantly.

Then I thought about tempo, and I wanted to get away from thinking about the guys we see on tour all the time. Always thought Kenny Perry had a sweet swing. Effortless, but not exactly super athletic or impressive like you'd think about Rory's/Rickie/DJ swing, or whoever. I wanted his tempo. So I latched onto that, and whether it actually looks like his tempo or not, it's helping.

So the "swinging door" with the clubface, coupled with "Kenny Perry Tempo" has me now hitting the ball better than ever.

Then I got serious about focusing on my alignment (with a tip from City about the shoulders), and I don't think it's a strech to say that I'll probably never lose another golf ball for the rest of my life.

Questions for the INTRACLUB CONFLICT I: THE HONEY POT CONFRONTATION captains:

1) Are we thinking a draft here? Can it be live? Will we have detailed analysis of each pick? I think one of us should get the "Fat kid picked last for elementary school kickball" treatment.

2) Could me or Nerf be paired with or against Siegel at some point? With an 11:30 start at NW, we've hatched a plan to stop at Taco Bell beforehand to fuel up. We would then use that to truly test whether Siegel has a sense of smell or not.

3) Will either captain solicit counsel from our last Cap Cup captain Tex, who singlehandely cost us a victory by agreeing to a 3 hole aggregate playoff against Eagle led us to a tie against a tough DC Tour team, losing only in a hard fought overtime battle?

These are good questions. These good questions will all be answered in due time.

Except #3.

I can answer that one now.

No.

I made huge strides at the end of last year after conceptualizing the face of the club to be more "swinging door"

explain please.

same as a putting stroke, but apply it to the full swing. Straight Back/Straight Through vs lots of toe arc. Keeping the face square to the ball vs getting that toe open on the backswing

But honestly, I think the biggest improvement has come from finally getting aligned correctly for the first time ever. starting square (or maybe slightly closed) to the ball allows me to get my arms through impact without pulling myself up off the ball slightly like I would if I was open.

It seems so much easier to stay down through impact when I'm starting in the correct position.

GTT, short version.

Goal of golf : to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible over the course of a round. This is generally best accomplished by being able to send the ball in an intended direction with a lot of speed.

Goal of the golf swing : To start the ball in the intended direction with a lot of speed. To that end, you strive for a square face with center-contact (in one word, control), and a lot of speed at impact. Control and speed are in opposition to each other.

So to me a proper golf swing is one that finds a workable balance of those things.

What this means mechanically/physically (which is probably what you're asking). . .that you want to generate power by winding up a club away from the ball and using your kinetic chain to get back to the ball with speed, and you want to do it with movements that don't make it too difficult to hit the ball control.

And what that means on a specific level. . .that you pull your arms back behind you, turn your body, load your bodyweight onto your right foot generating "potential energy" through torque between ground -> feet -> legs -> hips -> core -> shoulders, then push off the right foot and unwind that whole mess back at the ball. And, if you come up with some motion that can make more power doing that, it better not be at the expense of too much control.

I wrote up a crazy post like a month ago in instruction that I thought was pretty funny. I'll find it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I made huge strides at the end of last year after conceptualizing the face of the club to be more "swinging door"

explain please.

same as a putting stroke, but apply it to the full swing. Straight Back/Straight Through vs lots of toe arc. Keeping the face square to the ball vs getting that toe open on the backswing

Question - are you more focussed on toe arc during the backswing or downswing? Or equally distributed? My tendency has always been to roll my forearms back too much on takeaway generally encouraging me to come over the top. But now I feel like I've overcompensated and am too focussed on keeping the club face feeling like it's facing the ground for the first 1/3 or so of the takeaway.

explain please.

Question - are you more focussed on toe arc during the backswing or downswing? Or equally distributed? My tendency has always been to roll my forearms back too much on takeaway generally encouraging me to come over the top. But now I feel like I've overcompensated and am too focussed on keeping the club face feeling like it's facing the ground for the first 1/3 or so of the takeaway.

It sounds like we had opposite problems. I focus only on the takeaway, not the downswing, and the thought is to get the toe pointed up at parallel, and then feel like I'm wrapping my left arm across my chest, instead of turning my hips and shoulders.

Then I get to the top and black out.

Here. . .you want some good crazy? This was something I wrote in the thread" why is the golf swing so complicated" and I was making the point that it's not. It is an interesting thought experiment to consider the part of what I wrote that starts, "Imagine if we were in a world without instruction or a concept of a golf swing." Like you just gave a ton of people a golf club and a directive. .. "hit that ball long and straight". What would they come up with?

Here's the post. . .

If you're even chasing a "golf swing" -- as if there's this "entity" out there known as a "golf swing" that people can acquire like a television -- you're already lost.

What we really care about is "scoring", but at least on the very first "swing level", you're just talking about hitting a ball straight with power.

Imagine if we were in a world without instruction or a concept of a golf swing. We just told a bunch of people, "your goal is to hit that ball long and straight. You have years to work this out on your own." Well, they'd all start taking whacks at a ball.

Early on, they'd notice things like, "if I grip the rubber end, instead of the bulbous end, I can hit it better." That's thing 1.

"if I have my eyes open, instead of having my eyes closed, I can hit it far and straight more often." There's thing 2.

"If I grip the club with my hands together, instead of apart, I hit it farther." There's thing 3.

"If I keep my left arm straighter, that seems to help." That's thing 50.

Eventually they might realize minute details about timing, things like "if I have an early wrist set, I hit the ball better." But, that's thing 400.

So, where am I going with this? All the people that get to step 400 are going to look pretty similar. They've actually REMOVED all that slop that don't contribute to good contact. And I know you're thinking, "oh, that's not complicated. that's only 400 things." But I'm talking about reaching a very high level there and also, about 390 things are painfully obvious.

I think the problem with some instruction is that the student says, "tell me how to look like the guy at step 400" when we really have to go through so many of the steps ourselves to get to step 400. I just think at some point, if you want to be good you need to be those guys. You need to be at a grass range all the time honestly evaluating your ball flight, and your contact and making adjustments based on some knowledge of fundamentals to get there.

And if you are stuck on something, it might be a good time to see a teacher and then make sure you're doing the things the teacher taught you. That means -- for me -- slo-mo swings in the mirror, more range time, playing some throwaway rounds with the new swing thoughts until you've ingrained that. And hopefully you've moved past "thing 75" and now you can start on the next thing.

To me, it's not complicated. It's just time consuming.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

explain please.

I had that flaw for a while, but then I stopped doing it. So that's how I recommend fixing that.

Anyway, I recently started to get mad at myself for losing distance the past year or two, so I'm trying to fix that. Had some successful practice sessions, basically just focusing on generating a ton of force without having a heart attack. Getting into a position like this, with the spine tilted slightly away from target, only I'm trying to keep it to 3/4th(ish) swings:

1_rory_swing.jpg

and then just pushing off the ground while maintaining my spine angle. Was hitting some really solid balls. But I also haven't played a round of golf since early November, so I'll see if I can actually smash it this weekend at the course.

Anyway, ideal golf swing:

dufner-forever-waggle-2.gif?w=1000

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Tiger is playing with Rory and JT in round 1 at the Genesis.

Does this get Tiger's head on right to find the fairway?

Or does this get in Rory's head having to wait on Tigger playing from 60 yards off line all day?

JT is unaffected imho.

This gives me the tingles...in a good way.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S