Shipsticks.....Lower then Airlines Now?

So in a couple of months we are going to Hawaii (Maui). We have been there a few times and I have played all the courses there I wanted (the ones I can get on that is) . This year I am not planning on playing as there are other things we have planned and the schedule would be tight.

In a odd twist yesterday the wife tells me I should bring the clubs "just in case" I get that itch and something changes. First thing I am wondering is "Ooooo she wants something for sure...." :swoon:

I sheepishly ask.....why?? She then proceeds to show me an email from Shipsticks and it reads "Lower then Airlines". Hmmmmm curious I punch in Denver to Maui and it was $149.99 one way? Unless I am flying some cheap airlines I am not seeing how that is lower.....? I checked and Alaska Air would only charge me $25 each way.

Granted I know Shipsticks is a very good service and the security aspect is the key, but off the cuff I figured it would be $75 one way.

Again not planning on taking the clubs, but a question to members, is $250.00 difference worth using Shipsticks to you.

Edit: For the record I have not used Shipsticks before but friends have when travelling outside of the USA and swear by them. I do typically travel 2-3 times a year with my clubs but all within the Continental US and have only once had an issue with clubs missing the primary flight. They did come on the next flight 2 hours or so later.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're running into a Hawaii-specific issue. Obviously everything to Hawaii has to go by air and not alternative ground methods, so you're forced into the $169 top price. I just checked and that's the only price available to Hawaii, but CONUS destinations have alternatives. Just this morning I was pricing it out for a Bandon trip, and there are more, and cheaper, options depending on how far in advance you ship your clubs. If I shipped about a week ahead it was $79 each way for an XL bag, the price goes up the closer you get, all the way to the $169 price for next day. A standard bag, I'm assuming that's a soft bag and Club Glove, would be $59 each way via the slowest method.

It's been a while since I've flown with the clubs, and even then it was Southwest, so I have no idea what the airlines charge today. Admittedly I've not been keen on Shipsticks as it seems UPS or FedEx could do the same thing, but as far as getting my clubs there, for certain and on time, I'll be going with Shipsticks. I don't want to risk the airlines losing or bumping my clubs (supposedly notorious on the small planes into Bandon), nor do I want to deal with lugging them to the airport the day I travel.

I think you're running into a Hawaii-specific issue. Obviously everything to Hawaii has to go by air and not alternative ground methods, so you're forced into the $169 top price. I just checked and that's the only price available to Hawaii, but CONUS destinations have alternatives. Just this morning I was pricing it out for a Bandon trip, and there are more, and cheaper, options depending on how far in advance you ship your clubs. If I shipped about a week ahead it was $79 each way for an XL bag, the price goes up the closer you get, all the way to the $169 price for next day. A standard bag, I'm assuming that's a soft bag and Club Glove, would be $59 each way via the slowest method.

It's been a while since I've flown with the clubs, and even then it was Southwest, so I have no idea what the airlines charge today. Admittedly I've not been keen on Shipsticks as it seems UPS or FedEx could do the same thing, but as far as getting my clubs there, for certain and on time, I'll be going with Shipsticks. I don't want to risk the airlines losing or bumping my clubs (supposedly notorious on the small planes into Bandon), nor do I want to deal with lugging them to the airport the day I travel.

I noticed that also as no options existed. I thought there would be different pricing depending on time I provide the clubs to them. If I do take them I would just use the airline. My thought is to just rent a set for one round if I do play, as I am pretty sure this trip I will not have time for more then one round and pricing is about the same as brining my clubs...minus the airport hassle/fear factor.

I normally fly Southwest (wish they went to Maui) and have never had an issue by them while traveling with clubs. Southwest and Alaska Airlines both have been excellent.

I looked at pricing when I went over to Scotland this year, something like $230 each way LOL. Even as a 2nd checked back on UA where I do not have status was $100 each way so they rode on the plane with me. The nice thing about Hawaii is I can pack for an 8 day trip in a carry on all you need is board shorts and t shirts, my golf bag is my checked item $25 each way. The only trip I would realistically consider Shipsticks on is a trip to Bandon where we would be flying up as a 4 some. 4 guys in a rental with travel bags would be a huge PITA and it was reasonable $60 each way via shipsticks and would save most of that by being able to rent a smaller rent a car.

Also depending on when you are going to Hawaii, Southwest is rumored to be announcing Hawaii routes starting in 2018

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I looked at pricing when I went over to Scotland this year, something like $230 each way LOL. Even as a 2nd checked back on UA where I do not have status was $100 each way so they rode on the plane with me. The nice thing about Hawaii is I can pack for an 8 day trip in a carry on all you need is board shorts and t shirts, my golf bag is my checked item $25 each way. The only trip I would realistically consider Shipsticks on is a trip to Bandon where we would be flying up as a 4 some. 4 guys in a rental with travel bags would be a huge PITA and it was reasonable $60 each way via shipsticks and would save most of that by being able to rent a smaller rent a car.

Also depending on when you are going to Hawaii, Southwest is rumored to be announcing Hawaii routes starting in 2018

Ooooo I know Southwest is planning Hawaii in 2018 sadly not when we are going. Been watching it like for months and months it seems. I think I have roughly 125,000 pts with Southwest currently. Not sure if that would get me 3 tickets there or not but would of been a nice offset VS the $1900 on the tickets. Denver to Portland though you can get awesome flights on southwest and I could of used those funds on a potential Bandon weekend :tongue:

Edit: Excellent point on rental car, the last trip we had 4 people and we ended switching to a full size SUV because of all the bags. Shipsticks would make complete sense for that reason.

I read awhile back it's cheapest to ship just your clubs using ups/usps and borrow a bag at your destination. Someone explained it was about the size and extra weight of bag that makes it super expensive. Idk though, I've never tried it myself yet.

If you have adjustable woods just put the heads in your check in and it could cut down even more space in the shipping box.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

Ooooo I know Southwest is planning Hawaii in 2018 sadly not when we are going. Been watching it like for months and months it seems. I think I have roughly 125,000 pts with Southwest currently. Not sure if that would get me 3 tickets there or not but would of been a nice offset VS the $1900 on the tickets. Denver to Portland though you can get awesome flights on southwest and I could of used those funds on a potential Bandon weekend :tongue:

Edit: Excellent point on rental car, the last trip we had 4 people and we ended switching to a full size SUV because of all the bags. Shipsticks would make complete sense for that reason.

Yikes $1900 from Denver to Maui that for 1 ticket or multiple? I have grown so used to our shoulder season flights from PHX to HNL the cost being so low it is cheaper for us to go to Hawaii than the east coast.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Yikes $1900 from Denver to Maui that for 1 ticket or multiple? I have grown so used to our shoulder season flights from PHX to HNL the cost being so low it is cheaper for us to go to Hawaii than the east coast.

No it was 3 tickets. Booked months back to get the best price since the first part of January is high demand because of the golf and whale watching. Just looked it was $1952.80 and insurance if we cancel was another $117.00, so just over 2K.

No it was 3 tickets. Booked months back to get the best price since the first part of January is high demand because of the golf and whale watching. Just looked it was $1952.80 and insurance if we cancel was another $117.00, so just over 2K.

Ahh that is not bad especially for January.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Appreciate this discussion as I’m currently planning a cross country trip to Bandon. I like the theory of using shipsticks—easier travel, rental car room, guaranteed to arrive at Bandon on time—even though I’ll be flying southwest and checking clubs would be free. However...my biggest concern is I’d have to ship them on Tuesday or Wednesday to arrive on Saturday, and I want to have my clubs to hit the range a few times in the days leading up to a Bandon trip!! Lol. I think I’d go crazy the 72 hours before heading to Bandon and not having my clubs around to work out loose energy, and pissing everyone off at my local range by hitting low running 4 irons. Ying and yang, I guess.

Appreciate this discussion as I’m currently planning a cross country trip to Bandon. I like the theory of using shipsticks—easier travel, rental car room, guaranteed to arrive at Bandon on time—even though I’ll be flying southwest and checking clubs would be free. However...my biggest concern is I’d have to ship them on Tuesday or Wednesday to arrive on Saturday, and I want to have my clubs to hit the range a few times in the days leading up to a Bandon trip!! Lol. I think I’d go crazy the 72 hours before heading to Bandon and not having my clubs around to work out loose energy, and pissing everyone off at my local range by hitting low running 4 irons. Ying and yang, I guess.

Different strokes, due to my work schedule and lack of desire to beat balls on a driving range my clubs sit untouched M-F so using the ship sticks ground option not a huge deal for me. Besides this is WRX everyone should have at least 1 if not 2 backup sets right? In all honestly if I could find a promo code for ship sticks I will probably pay a little more to do the 2 day AIR. From AZ to Bandon $55 ground $99 air. Difference in renting a standard size rental sedan $65 a day vs a Full size SUV $245 a day more than pays the difference in using ship sticks. Again only really makes sense to me if going to 1 destination and travelling with a group of players to save luggage space and get a way with a smaller rental car to save $ (Note that is full rack enterprise rates) I just looked up the Enterprise rate with my corporate code. LOL. laughable how much they mark up rental cars. $70 a day for full size SUV instead of $245

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I sheepishly ask.....why?? She then proceeds to show me an email from Shipsticks and it reads "Lower then Airlines". Hmmmmm curious I punch in Denver to Maui and it was $149.99 one way? Unless I am flying some cheap airlines I am not seeing how that is lower.....? I checked and Alaska Air would only charge me $25 each way.

Is it possible that Shipsticks is comparing to shipping via the airline? I needed to ship my clubs home for Scotland last year and Shipsticks was cheaper than shipping on the airline.

I don't really get the use case for ShipSticks. I mean, I guess I get a couple of them. I could see if somebody was doing a really well organized corporate outing (i.e. you're not paying for it), ShipSticks saves some hassle. I could see if you kept your clubs in a bag room somewhere, having the bag room guys use ShipSticks to get your clubs to an away match at another club.

But for everyday golf travel? Get a Club Glove and bring them on the plane.

I don't really get the use case for ShipSticks. I mean, I guess I get a couple of them. I could see if somebody was doing a really well organized corporate outing (i.e. you're not paying for it), ShipSticks saves some hassle. I could see if you kept your clubs in a bag room somewhere, having the bag room guys use ShipSticks to get your clubs to an away match at another club.

I won't bring my clubs with me on a flight unless the flight is non-stop to my final destination. I don't trust the airlines enough to make the transfer from one plane to another and not lose my clubs.

That said, when I flew out to Pebble in 2013 I shipped my clubs out there about a week ahead of time via FedEx. Cost me about $95 each way. No problems whatsoever. Any service that guarantees they'll get my clubs there in time without losing them is worth the price to me.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I won't bring my clubs with me on a flight unless the flight is non-stop to my final destination. I don't trust the airlines enough to make the transfer from one plane to another and not lose my clubs.

That said, when I flew out to Pebble in 2013 I shipped my clubs out there about a week ahead of time via FedEx. Cost me about $95 each way. No problems whatsoever. Any service that guarantees they'll get my clubs there in time without losing them is worth the price to me.

Assuming you are going somewhere which is set up to recieve your clubs ahead of time and take care of them when you arrive.

Assuming you are going somewhere which is set up to recieve your clubs ahead of time and take care of them when you arrive.

I'd be more shocked at a hotel or golf course that doesn't do this.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

We probably travel on very different golf holidays.My travel is almost entirely to private golf clubs in UK and not staying in full service hotels. It has never really been a serious possibility given my arrangements.

But I would do it in a heartbeat if traveling to a resort like Bandon, set up to handle the logistcs as a matter of routine.

Only time I tried to use shipsticks it was $149 I think may have been more. I decided to just check at airport $25 each way it was a lot cheaper. My friends used shipsticks their last trip to Orlando area, they ended up not getting their clubs back for 5-6 days, that is too long without my clubs for me.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Unless you're planning more than a couple of rounds, just use rental clubs. I've found that the rental sets at resort courses are as good or better than my set. Using different clubs has never made a noticeable difference and I actually enjoyed trying different clubs. Why risk loss or damage or pay high shipping prices? If you're an average golfer, you'll not be affected by different clubs. If you're really good, then you should be able to play anything.

Unless you're planning more than a couple of rounds, just use rental clubs.

Blasphemy! :-p

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I’m not a heavy golf traveler, maybe 25 trips lifetime checking my clubs on the airline. Never had a problem with delay or damage though. What I don’t understand is the heavy trust in ShipSticks “guarantee” that your clubs will arrive. I’ve had numerous FedEx/UPS deliveries go bad, way more than issues with airline baggage. Their guarantee won’t put your clubs in your cart if the carrier loses them, runs over them with their truck or they get stolen, they simply cover the cost of replacement. Maybe my sample size is too small, but I’d say I take about 8 commercial flights per year and haven’t ever lost a bag, so that’s 16 trips to baggage claim. FedEx/UPS delivers to our house about every 2 weeks and at least twice per year we have a damaged package on our doorstep. Their record isn’t so great, and that’s how your ShipSticks delivery is transported.

I've made 15-16 trips with my clubs, mostly transatlantic. One time I noticed a slight bend in a putter shaft when I returned, it was one of the teo times I used a soft cover instead of an SKB.

One return trip my clubs were delayed for several hours in Atlanta so I just went home and came back to get them the next day.

One damage, one slight delay in rougly 30 flights. No way ShipSticks is better than that.

I read awhile back it's cheapest to ship just your clubs using ups/usps and borrow a bag at your destination. Someone explained it was about the size and extra weight of bag that makes it super expensive. Idk though, I've never tried it myself yet.

If you have adjustable woods just put the heads in your check in and it could cut down even more space in the shipping box.

I have done this, even with a glued head driver. It was nice to not lug them through the airport and they were in my hotel room waiting for me when I got there. It was kind of a pin to lug the box to the pro shop to get them in a bag, but the cost savings was well worth it. They also boxed them back up for me and shipped them right back, piece of cake.