To superloft or not to superloft - and a modern tragedy along the way?

MarkAJones

Morning all

Just canvassing some opinion on peoples experiences.....

Bear with me on this, some scene setting.... I'm just in the middle of a bag restructure - I'm 2 years into the game now and think I now know what I like or more saliently, what I don't....

My current bag is a bit of homage to Ping tbh but it has served me well. However, the only guaranteed survivors of my bag cull are:

My Ping 3 and 4 crossovers

My Ping Glide SS (1.0) 50, 54, 58

My Ping Cadence Ketsch putter

Those all have to stay as they work well for me

I'm changing out my Ping G irons for Ping i200s in standard loft spec. I'm ready for this and the i200s look but more importantly feel great.

Now - my driver can still be a bit naughty and my 3 wood - pfft, that thing never comes out the bag now the crossovers are there.

The big shock is, I tried the G400 LS and SF and the standard but none particularly blew me away. But then the fitter did something horrible to me - he put a 2017 M1 in my hands. He virtually had to put a gun to my head to make me swing it but what the heck i thought, it'll be poo.

The thing is, I knocked it repeatedly 10, 15 even once or twice 20 yards past the Pings and much , MUCH tighter to the line. Although I wanted to hate the thing, I couldn't. Listen, i'm not trying to say the M1 is 20 yards longer, of course it isn't but for me, it just worked. HZRDUS shaft, weights set to full draw and full forward, I was near the line or a few yards left, rather than 15 to 20 right. So I ordered it. At the end of the day, its a results game.....

So..... finally, to my real point.... I've a hole in my bag because that 3 wood is going.... there's really no point keeping it. If I want control I go to my 4 crossover.

So how to fill the hole? (oooeerrr). As I've improved I've really started to enjoy my wedges. Heck, when i started I hated wedges and would chip a 7 iron 80 yards rather than use one. now, I think flopping a 25 yard 58 over a bunker and getting it close gives me more pleasure than any drive could, same when a 50 stops on a sixpence.

So, given i'm wedge up at 45 50 54 and 58 in the i200/Glides, where should I go. Firstly, Ping only do the Glides up to 60 degrees. I guess I could get someone to mangle one weaker.... anyone ever done that?

In general, does anyone play 62 or even 64 degrees?

Where do you use it?

How often?

Is it worth carrying?

I know Cleveland do the RTX3 in both those lofts and I can even get a custom fit on those (my irons are all +1 inch and all my wedges are made up to PW length)

I'd be really interested to know what people think and if anyone is doing this, what they use - especially interested in wedges with custom fit options....

Cheers y'all!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see a huge benefit in keeping a 64 wedge. Its seldom used and difficult to use when needed. I would chill a bit on the bag construction until you identify a huge hole.

I played nearly the whole season without a 20* club.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Yeah, I realise that a 62 or 64 would be a real niche club and seldom used but then that's the 3 wood for me. I've had it 18 months and hit it on course about 50 times with about a 50% success rate....

I may just leave a space. There'll be a 5degree gap between my 4 crossover and the 5 i200 so I may put some form of utility in there....

I would skip the 64 wedge, unless you feel like practicing with it every day, for a few hours. :)

There are a few courses around me where a 4 wood is a great club to have in the bag. That extra 20-25 yards over the 3 hybrid can make an approach shot much more doable. You can add or remove it from the bag depending on where you are playing that particular day.

So my vote goes for a Ping G 4 wood ( or 17 degree M1/M2), with the same shaft you have in your driver, just 10-15 grams heavier.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Get a 4 wood. Or even a 5 wood. Easier than a 3W and will give you a good long second shot if you can make the par 5, or will give you another option off the tee.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

'Get a 4 wood. Or even a 5 wood. Easier than a 3W and will give you a good long second shot if you can make the par 5, or will give you another option off the tee.'

can't say it any better than mxskier

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

My 64* is the best club in my bag. I'm not sure I could play without it. Someday I won't be able to find a 64* PM grind, so I bought an extra and stuck it in the closet.

Greenside bunkers, shortsided, flop shots over bunkers, the thing drops like a bag of rocks.

That being said, a high launch 3-wood, mine is 16.5*, or a 4-wood would be a great addition. Much easier to hit than a standard 3-word and plenty of height. I hate to see newer players give up on fairway woods.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I also play the occasional 64*. It is not any harder then a 58 or a 60. The only thing you need to remember is a full swing is about 45 yards. So, for that 20 yard flop over a bunker you have to remember to swing that thing pretty much near an 80 percent shot. It'll drop and stay right where it lands even though I have no idea how to spin a ball. They are fun to hit.

A 64* is a specialty club. It's only good for certain occasions, and you have the danger of scooping one clean into your chin ;).

Seriously though: I'm a wedge fiend. I've gone through so many it's ridiculous, and the 64* lasted less long than almost any other wedge. It just didn't serve much of a purpose.

That being said, my 58* is incredibly versatile. I can lay it open on tight lies and not worry about the leading edge coming up too far. If you game wedges that are higher bounce, then something more versatile, i.e. adding a 64* wedge, or even just a 60 with lower bounce will have some use to you.

It all comes down to the courses you play and your game. I put a 62 (measures 63) in my bag even though it is within 5-8 yards of my 58 (measures 59) because it has a grind and bounce which works great off of hardpan and very tight lies. The 58 is great when I am in-between soft/hard conditions, have semi-thick rough, or the bunker looks like it has sand, but more often than not it is hard like cement under that 1/4" of sand. I tweaked my bag over the last 3-4 seasons, so don't rush it - wait and you'll eventually see where you are losing strokes and have a gap for either a yardage or type of shot you frequently need.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

Sounds like a 4 wood, cut to a 5 wood length would be a great weapon to add. It would fill the gap and you'd be surprised at how easy it is to control. I always cut my 3 woods to what would be a 4 wood length and I feel it gives me quite a bit more control.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Keep your glides and have a club guy bump the 54 to 55 and the 58 to 59 or even 60. Leave the 50 alone. I felt like I had to have a pm grind 64 earlier this year so I bought one! Practiced with it, but felt like it was too inconsistent to trust on the course. Fuller shots like to roll up the club face and go dif distances. You will be able to do just as much with your glide bumpeped to 59 or 60 as you would wit a 62 or 64. You just have to practice!!!! Keep your crossovers and start demoing 3 or even 4 fairways. Ping g400 or an m1 or 2 are pretty sweet! Think it over, but don't over think it. Building your bag is suppose to be fun as I'm sure you are finding out! Don't be afraid to try all the company's. My .02. Tim

TBF I don't think my fitter really knows my game. He may have a view on my "usual" swing dynamics but how that translates from a mat, to turf, bunkers and actual game play is another matter.

Don't get me wrong, fitting is super important but for a mid-handicapper like me, my swing is about 75% consistent - even the best fitting can be undone on course! ;)