Who on tour has a Malaska type swing??

It supersedes marketing in many ways.

One of the admirable aspects of Mike Malaska is that he teaches from two references: his own flaws (of which he is not modest about despite his past high level playing experience) and the building blocks from other teachers and the players of whom he refers to high regard. In between these reference points MM exposes his own swing methodology.

Without Mike Malaska I never would have heard of Joe Nichols (who would?) to whom he addresses a complete video. Here MM explains his thoughts and ideas and points out why he incorporates these fundamentals.

It is the kind of teaching I sincerely praise.

Apparently he's doing the wrong type of marketing, he needs to get on Golfwx and post on the IA forum. I don't know, maybe he's too busy with other things.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

"We got forces that are off setting" lol! What forces are those? The guy is in control of what he's doing to the racket he's applying the forces and he is not doing the same thing when showing it so called "exaggerated" and then when he is making a few "fluid swings" All you have to do is watch is his right hand it's in a different orientation in the so called fluid swings, he's not continually turning the wheel from the top as shown in the exaggerated version

What forces could possibly over power that guy and make the racket go so far the opposite way? Answer there are none ... except for the ones he is applying and the truth is many many average golfers force the club in the exact way they say you need to. How's that working for all the steep at transition dumped under and releasing the wrist angle golfers?

If this were actually true and most golfers are already doing this steep move in transition it makes the MM move redundant, it's like telling someone who throws the wrist angles away at the top to throw away the wrist angles at the top... ridiculous!

You don’t like Monte either I take it? He has videos that show a good way to achieve more lag is to try to release and flip with the right arm as soon as possible in the downswing. It gets the right arm moving faster.

I am really trying to understand why you would have a problem with an instructor NOT doing his exaggerated feel in his real swing. Even you call it an exaggerated move.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I've been working on the Malaska swing principles for about 3 months now.

I was wondering who on the Tour has a swing like Mike advocates?

Thank you

Honestly, There's a ton of the concepts in pretty much every tour player. I wouldn't say it's a "malaska type swing" . it's just good sound fundamentals of the swing which I think a lot of tour players have and we just don't necessarily see them.

"We got forces that are off setting" lol! What forces are those? The guy is in control of what he's doing to the racket he's applying the forces and he is not doing the same thing when showing it so called "exaggerated" and then when he is making a few "fluid swings" All you have to do is watch is his right hand it's in a different orientation in the so called fluid swings, he's not continually turning the wheel from the top as shown in the exaggerated version

What forces could possibly over power that guy and make the racket go so far the opposite way? Answer there are none ... except for the ones he is applying and the truth is many many average golfers force the club in the exact way they say you need to. How's that working for all the steep at transition dumped under and releasing the wrist angle golfers?

If this were actually true and most golfers are already doing this steep move in transition it makes the MM move redundant, it's like telling someone who throws the wrist angles away at the top to throw away the wrist angles at the top... ridiculous!

You don’t like Monte either I take it? He has videos that show a good way to achieve more lag is to try to release and flip with the right arm as soon as possible in the downswing. It gets the right arm moving faster.

I am really trying to understand why you would have a problem with an instructor NOT doing his exaggerated feel in his real swing. Even you call it an exaggerated move.

What has Monte got to do with it? Never mentioned him at all. If someone is doing exactly what is shown and they are already steep in transition, do you need to tell them to get steep in transition? If they are dumped under and are trying to fit the club in and are adding loft because they are already steep in transition does it make sense to tell them to do it the same way as they are already doing it.

Watch any Tour player in a tourney and you tell me if they are steepening it in transition or shallowing it.

You tell me how you fix a golfer who comes for help who is steep in transition and shallows real late by dumping under, releasing wrist angles too soon to fit the club in and flipping it? Just tell them to keep on doing it more?

If MM's steep move at the top helps them or you then keep on doing it.

After 19 pages I'm pretty sure it was shown by Iteach and others what good players do compared to not so good players. Good players shallow in transition and use positive beta later, pretty simple and the reason for it was explained, take it or leave it, it's your swing, your game.

The difference between Monte and MM, is that Monte makes it clear that that No Turn Cast is not a magic move that applies equally to everyone.

Yep, that No Turn Cast is a really good, not just as a drill. I tell all my friends with two plane swings about it and they love it and use it to hit balls.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

The difference between Monte and MM, is that Monte makes it clear that that No Turn Cast is not a magic move that applies equally to everyone.

As does MM.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

You don't like Monte either I take it? He has videos that show a good way to achieve more lag is to try to release and flip with the right arm as soon as possible in the downswing. It gets the right arm moving faster.

As does MM.

I've watched many of MM's videos, and I've never seen him stipulate that his Malaska Move is not for everyone.

Matter of fact he says in one video when asked is it for everyone he replies that it is. Still amazed that the club wants to flatten by some mysterious way and people need to overcome that by applying positive beta torque in transition.

Actually it's more amazing that MM thinks this and bases his concept on an obviously faulty assumption on his part. And the ironic part is the majority of golfers steepen the club too early already. What MM wants people to do IS REDUNDANT and not what good golfers do, good golfers do the opposite.

It's like giving a drowning person an anchor to help them... instead of a life preserver! He has a theory that he claims is for everyone because the club wants to flatten too much if we don't stop it we will be stuck.... Whaaaat? He has it exactly backwards! Most steepen it in transition already.

I just want to thank Dan, TB, northgolf, and several trolls for careing about my well being and saving me the emotional devastation that I could have gone through if I tried the MM move.

Trying it myself to see if it is helpful or not is too big of a risk. A risk I'm not willing to take.

You see I'm a little steep in transition and I know that even if MM's teachings work for me, I know that because of the well articulated points in this thread that it's wrong.

If you're already doing it then you're one of the lucky one's who can overcome that mysterious force that wants to flatten the club in transition! Plus the added bonus is you don't need to try MM's move since you have already mastered it.

Oh I'm sure Dan and FWP, TB don't know anything about the golf swing, they couldn't possibly be right about what they said in this thread.

I just want to thank Dan, TB, northgolf, and several trolls for careing about my well being and saving me the emotional devastation that I could have gone through if I tried the MM move.

Trying it myself to see if it is helpful or not is too big of a risk. A risk I'm not willing to take.

You see I'm a little steep in transition and I know that even if MM's teachings work for me, I know that because of the well articulated points in this thread that it's wrong.

Indeed. Good to see someone getting it. The move is completely wrong and if you are steep it’s a train wreck. But at least it seems you saw the light.

Indeed. Good to see someone getting it. The move is completely wrong and if you are steep it’s a train wreck. But at least it seems you saw the light.

Think he was being sarcastic. Thus the mention of trolls.

It seemed pretty sincere. I tend to take people at their word. We are all just trying to help each other get better right?

It seemed pretty sincere. I tend to take people at their word. We are all just trying to help each other get better right?

Why mention trolls then? we saved him from emotional devastation... really? I still believe he was being sarcastic, but I could be wrong.

Why mention trolls then? we saved him from emotional devastation... really? I still believe he was being sarcastic, but I could be wrong.

There is little devastation as severe as the emotional devastation that comes from being steep on the downswing in golf.

As does MM.

Huge difference. Monte has countless videos and talks about countless other feels and drills. He has said multiple times to work the hands out and other things to shallow the shaft. He's not basing his whole teaching around the no turn cast drill. If Malaska had a couple videos about his move and says it's for ppl who are too shallow then fine. Instead every video about downswing he advocates this move. He's never talked about intentionally shallowing the club.

You don't like Monte either I take it? He has videos that show a good way to achieve more lag is to try to release and flip with the right arm as soon as possible in the downswing. It gets the right arm moving faster.

As does MM.

Huge difference. Monte has countless videos and talks about countless other feels and drills. He has said multiple times to work the hands out and other things to shallow the shaft. He's not basing his whole teaching around the no turn cast drill. If Malaska had a couple videos about his move and says it's for ppl who are too shallow then fine. Instead every video about downswing he advocates this move. He's never talked about intentionally shallowing the club.

Don't speak for Monte .... 4 days ago he read this thread for a long time ... he's checked in since. He's reading it right now. (Sorry MS not stalking just saw your name at bottom more than few times)

I don't know what he thinks of it but I will guess he's not as venomous as some in this thread.

Malaska doesn't say everyone should do this .... he's saying most good swings have this. Some guys may have a way different trigger like replanting lead heel automates rip turning thru a pure shot ... good for you and please don't start paying attention to hands, arms, triangle. If anyone thinks that Beta forces are instant on at P5-6 because thats when you see the club head start to go out then you don't know squat about neuroscience or agonist antagonist relationships in terms of eccentric blend to concentric contraction. It happens earlier ... preferably after shallowing.

Malaska simplifies things way too much for WRX eggheads and sites incorrect forces based on basic feels (his own and feedback from students I assume).

He can't be far off from Butch, Tiger, Jack (who he's worked with for 30 years on the range and in business). Try it for 10 min ... if you are too steep quiet it or do what he says and don't open chest too early. It may not be for you. If it starts to ruin your swing you suck and I don't know what to say.

Who's speaking for Monte? He puts his stuff out for everyone to see as does MM. if you can't see that one person teaches one feel for the downswing and the other doesn't that's your problem.

MM doesn't base his whole teaching system around a move ... isolated and glorified by WRXers and Brendan. He shows (often) how the club moves in good swings. Club moves very differently when pivot and rotation are removed from equation. So whether you slice or hook his goal is to get you sorted out.

My son is 15 and definitely has a sensory processing problem ... probably well shy of a disorder but it's magnified in the golf swing and noted when he's trying to do what his instructor asks him to do.

I've had him supplement all that with a few videos .... guess which help and by that I mean visibly help (lightbulbs and pure shots). Yep a few of MMs and all of Montes production vids.

Simple.

Ask yourself this .... why do so many people like MM and are really seeing results since his name resurfaced and he found the internet. I'm actually interested any detractors' answers to that question.

Love that MM simplifies waaay to much for us eggheads and cites incorrect forces...lol! I'm guessing if the positive beta happens earlier then the negative beta must also happen earlier. Also like the "if you're too steep quit it, or do what he/MM says"... which is steepen it at transition... which you're already doing BECAUSE YOU'RE ALREADY TOO STEEP.

I'm proud to be a member of the WRX egghead society!

The issue i have with this topic is that MM's methodology is reviewed in reversed order. If you read his book MM first addresses pre-swing elements than impact followed by swing skills. If a player is overdoing/misinterpreting/etc the first two elements the third part 'swing skills' will be affected. Please let’s keep things clear: in his book MM does not show nor describe the so-called Malaska Move.

In his book MM explains that by rotating the left arm from the top the club effectivelvly will set the club back on the downplane.

This corner stone is referenced against the old school of thought from pulling the club (either with the arms or the shoulder.

From his PoV this is to prevent dragging the club and/or flipping the club to be square in the shortest amount of time at impact.

MM also states his firm belief in JN's words to release the club early from the start downswing. (these are not his exact words)

Some claim that MM reduces his swing ideas to only positive beta-torque only from the top. If so the ball flight would result in a pull. If MM would not drop his arms the shaft would hit his head.

From my point of view I do not see any constraints. If the left upper arm sort of 'rolls' down from the top (beta torque) AND the wrists/hands motion moves in an different direction. This Wrist/hand force goes outward and away from the targetline thus shallows the club/shaft. The technique will prevent my hands from going out into the target line and do keep the hands close to body yet let clubhead release outward in an early phase of the downswing.

That is simply the way I do it. To me, the conceptual logic of MM stands strong and is embedded in/linked to many other concepts as well. Hence I use many ideas/issues offered by Penick, Lohren, Toski, Jim Hardy, McLean, Dante, Ernest Jones to name a few. But others will do uit different.

The basic philosophy is NOT to challenge these concepts like these do exist as real phenomena. The practical goal is only to adapt to their consequences shown as characteristics in my own creation of a swing. Quite subjective all together.

The issue i have with this topic is that MM's methodology is reviewed in reversed order. If you read his book MM first addresses pre-swing elements than impact followed by swing skills. If a player is overdoing/misinterpreting/etc the first two elements the third part 'swing skills' will be affected. Please let’s keep things clear: in his book MM does not show nor describe the so-called Malaska Move.

In his book MM explains that by rotating the left arm from the top the club effectivelvly will set the club back on the downplane.

This corner stone is referenced against the old school of thought from pulling the club (either with the arms or the shoulder.

From his PoV this is to prevent dragging the club and/or flipping the club to be square in the shortest amount of time at impact.

MM also states his firm belief in JN's words to release the club early from the start downswing. (these are not his exact words)

Some claim that MM reduces his swing ideas to only positive beta-torque only from the top. If so the ball flight would result in a pull. If MM would not drop his arms the shaft would hit his head.

From my point of view I do not see any constraints. If the left upper arm sort of 'rolls' down from the top (beta torque) AND the wrists/hands motion moves in an different direction. This Wrist/hand force goes outward and away from the targetline thus shallows the club/shaft. The technique will prevent my hands from going out into the target line and do keep the hands close to body yet let clubhead release outward in an early phase of the downswing.

That is simply the way I do it. To me, the conceptual logic of MM stands strong and is embedded in/linked to many other concepts as well. Hence I use many ideas/issues offered by Penick, Lohren, Toski, Jim Hardy, McLean, Dante, Ernest Jones to name a few. But others will do uit different.

The basic philosophy is NOT to challenge these concepts like these do exist as real phenomena. The practical goal is only to adapt to their consequences shown as characteristics in my own creation of a swing. Quite subjective all together.

All you got to watch is the video with the steering wheel to see his hands are not working in a different direction...geeeez! Around the 3min 11 sec. mark. I still would like one of his supporters to explain the mysterious force that overcomes golfers at the top and makes the club over flatten so that you would have to apply positive beta torque in transition which is what he says in other videos to students.

Love that MM simplifies waaay to much for us eggheads and cites incorrect forces...lol! I'm guessing if the positive beta happens earlier then the negative beta must also happen earlier. Also like the "if you're too steep quit it, or do what he/MM says"... which is steepen it at transition... which you're already doing BECAUSE YOU'RE ALREADY TOO STEEP.

You may not be in the society.

If you can find any where in print or audio that he says to "steepen in transition" I'll PayPal you $100

Not a motion in isolation but that he actually states to steepen in transition .... go

#227 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• photo-14489.jpg?_r=0
  • Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 14,645 posts

• Member #: 14489

GolfWRX Likes : 4933

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

snapback.pngbaudi, on 31 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

snapback.pngiteachgolf, on 31 October 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

snapback.pngbaudi, on 31 October 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

@ITG

And again Malaska is teaching to apply positive beta at the start of the downswing. Not halfway down.IMHO MM basically only explains the redirection of the club follows the momentum the club which is mainly affected by its directed position in the top.

He has a preferred situation of a laid off position that will (re)-create an effortless approach of the head coming into the ball.

Not sure your point. Video shows him prescribing positive beta kicking in immediately in transition. Which is exactly what I said. The video backs up what I've said.

MM also states that he wants to shallow the arms and let the club come out.

AND he refers to Garcia -who drops the club behind and then tumbles over.

If MM only starts with positive beta-torque motion he would hit his head.

The arms do come down first with a shift. That set the natural force for alpha torque . Yet very well he could agree to the fact that the sooner this rotary motion starts the better it is to prevent a flipping action. A longer action over longer time will set a more quiet move. I think feel, rhythm and timing will define the action. In 2035 Dr Sasho's students will have defined 3 more swingtypes which can be specifically tuned to body frame, forward bend angle, side bend, release type, hit or swing motion (avg, moderate, aggressive) and desired ball flight. .

The new speak of alpha,beta and gamma torque is okay with me but I will hardly use it to explain a swing. With data collection like My Swing or Kvest it will be a matter of time I guess.

Here is an afterthought: Peter Croker.

https://www.youtube....lfLessonsOnline

Nah you’re wrong. He absolutely is starting positive beta immediately. It’s just not only the beta torque. The club is steepening as his arms are pulling the handle down and it’s steepening from the moment he starts down in every demonstration.

He can refer to Sergio all he wants but Sergio isn’t doing what he’s explaining.

You may not be in the society.

If you can find any where in print or audio that he says to "steepen in transition" I'll PayPal you $100

Not a motion in isolation but that he actually states to steepen in transition .... go

A picture is worth a thousand words. He demonstrates to steepen the club at the top in many videos if you think he is showing to flatten the club... god bless you. Do you think Iteach, FWP,TB..etc. don't know what they are looking at?

It's one thing to support someone but I mean when the video evidence is right there for anyone to see and what he tells people to do it's painfully obvious it's a steepening of the club.