2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chicago Clubs

Olympia Fields if you like classic, Butler National if you like modern.

MM

I'll put in a big thumbs up for OF as first of all...... THEY ALLOW WOMEN!

However, they also have overnight accommodations, beautiful pool, and 2 courses. Butler is only golf and only for men, although I give it a ton of credit as a very nice course.

I posted this in the Chicago thread a week or so ago. Black Sheep would be a little bit of a drive but they are running some membership specials in 2018. Definitely a drive but they have 27 holes and is a top 15 course in IL.

https://cgm.cld.bz/Black-Sheep-Golf-Club-E-Invitation/12

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

MM

Butler is at least $150,000.00 to join, if not more.

My guy must have gotten some special deal.

I personally know a member and while I do not know exactly what he paid I do know for a fact it was not $150,000 love how people just throw random numbers out like they know. Also for Butler I am almost certain it is about a 2 to 3 year process of getting in with and interview process etc... and by invite only.

MM

I personally know a member and while I do not know exactly what he paid I do know for a fact it was not $150,000 love how people just throw random numbers out like they know. Also for Butler I am almost certain it is about a 2 to 3 year process of getting in with and interview process etc... and by invite only.

It was a "random number" documented by Ed Sherman who is a Chicago golf writer. The source was a Crain's Chicago Business article and the link was shared.

It's kind of ironic that I posted documentation yet you know for a fact, without any documentation, what someone paid.

MM

It was a "random number" documented by Ed Sherman who is a Chicago golf writer. The source was a Crain's Chicago Business article and the link was shared.

It's kind of ironic that I posted documentation yet you know for a fact, without any documentation, what someone paid.

I am not here to argue about it just saying its not 150 g's and the article is from 8 years ago...... just saying things change.

Really not that big of a deal how much the membership is to Butler. I do know for a fact it is $100K, and that's if you get accepted to the club.

Other really nice clubs that have been mentioned include Flossmor, Crystal Tree (far from city), Ridgemoor (close to downtown), Beverly (Blackhawks players are members here because of the proximity (10K), Evanston, etc.

Fellow Midwest Golfers,

I will be moving to Chicago early in 2017 and want to join a club and continue playing golf (moving from Columbus). I played golf in college and have continued to play at a fairly high level and would love to join a club with competitive games. I am 25 and will not have the capital to join the top tier clubs that require $$ initiation.

Any ideas on good clubs with reasonable dues? I will be living in Lincoln Park and will most likely have a car.

Thanks,

TL

Glen club would be the closest course to you. That being said traffic is terrible in Chicago and any course in the suburb especially coming from Lincoln Park will take forever. I lived in Chicago my whole like and commuting is terrible for a 4 hour round. It takes a whole day.

Play Sydney Marovitz on LSD and Irving Park/Recreation drive. It is a 9 hole dog track. Tee off midday because that course gets packed. It's sad there is only one course on the North side and its only 9 holes. There is also a course in Rogers Park that is 9 holes.

Price-wise southern Burbs is a good option. Driving from Lincoln Park though will not be great. Obviously North would be the best logistically, but you are looking at higher price. I just moved out of the city to Naperville, playing golf isn't easy when you live in the city and in my opinion, it is tough to play enough to make the fees worth it. Obviously, I don't know your job or what time constraints you have, but for me it was very tough to get out enough to make it worth it and the biggest reason I moved to the Burbs. Good luck, i know i didn't provide much, just my opinion though.

Nice! Another Naperville resident. I'm a 5 minute walk from Naperville CC. We need to get a group going. There has to be enough of us by now.

I posted this in the Chicago thread a week or so ago. Black Sheep would be a little bit of a drive but they are running some membership specials in 2018. Definitely a drive but they have 27 holes and is a top 15 course in IL.

https://cgm.cld.bz/B...E-Invitation/12

Whoa, thanks for sharing. This is a great price unless the other fees are wildly high. Black Sheep is a top 100 modern course in the US so it's even better.

Price-wise southern Burbs is a good option. Driving from Lincoln Park though will not be great. Obviously North would be the best logistically, but you are looking at higher price. I just moved out of the city to Naperville, playing golf isn't easy when you live in the city and in my opinion, it is tough to play enough to make the fees worth it. Obviously, I don't know your job or what time constraints you have, but for me it was very tough to get out enough to make it worth it and the biggest reason I moved to the Burbs. Good luck, i know i didn't provide much, just my opinion though.

Nice! Another Naperville resident. I'm a 5 minute walk from Naperville CC. We need to get a group going. There has to be enough of us by now.

87th and Rt 59 here.

87th and Rt 59 here.

I'm in St. Charles but definitely interested if there is a get together or group outing.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

87th and Rt 59 here.

I'm in St. Charles but definitely interested if there is a get together or group outing.

Yeah, plenty of options out by us. I'm looking to play every week. Is Settler's Hill worthwhile? I love Prairie Landing by you.

Would a Google Doc/Spreadsheet be the most effective way to plan? I imagine there enough people to have an active network/directory. Then an email or text msg to arrange something weekly or whatever frequency people can make it.

Used to play Settler's Hill (aka: The Dump) with buddies all the time. It was never in the best condition but it was cheap and had some fun holes. I haven't been out there in quite awhile. In fact, I wasn't even sure if it was still open. A few years ago there was talk about turning it into a walking / cross country skiing area.

Prairie Landing is a great little course. I always liked Mill Creek too.

Get yourself over to Cantigny and play. You won't be disappointed.

Actually the forest preserve approved a plan to expand SH and build a driving range to the east of the first hole. Greg Martin is doing the work IIRC.

It's not a terrible design, just needs to have some of the drainage issues addressed.

Milf Creek (it's the time of year when the high school seniors fix the sign) needs to invest some money in the range balls and practice area. Not a bad course with some interesting routing.

• 1 month later...

I just heard today that Mill Creek is now closed, as in shut down permanently.

Here's the answer...

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180314/whats-next-for-mill-creek-golf-course-in-geneva

Thanks. I no longer live in the area and heard it 2nd hand but this article suggests a possibility of reopening in the future.

What Is and What Should Never Be

• 2 weeks later...

What is the deal with Calumet CC? I was playing Ravisloe recently and also heard the rumors they might be closing/going public. I played there once many moons ago, would love to get back out there. When I drove past it was deader than dead, but the flags were in the holes.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Pretty sure Calumet CC is currently for sale. Don’t know what it means for the private / public status going forward.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

What is the deal with Calumet CC? I was playing Ravisloe recently and also heard the rumors they might be closing/going public. I played there once many moons ago, would love to get back out there. When I drove past it was deader than dead, but the flags were in the holes.

The rumor I heard is that it's going to be sold to FedEx for a distribution center. It's proximity to the Chicago Intermodal Terminal at Canadian National Markham yard makes it quite appealing for the company.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 2 years later...

Reopening the thread, I live in the Humboldt Park area and was starting to explore family-friendly clubs. I’m in my 30s and have determined that I’m pretty much a 20-30 minute drive from a handful of places like Oak Park CC, Evanston GC, Beverly CC, Riverside, Ridgemoor, etc. I have absolutely no idea what any of these places cost or how hard they are to get into, but figured I’d ask the forum. Thanks!

In addition to a walking scorer why not have a walking guy with instagram live going on his phone and a backup battery. A handful of those and you'll have the footage to make highlights after. Plenty of youtube golf rounds are watched without being able to see where the ball lands exactly. You figure out how good the previous shot was by looking at where the next shot is taken from.

Depends if you are 30-34 or 35 and up. Huge difference in price. Most the places mentioned have a higher initiation fee too. If you are looking for something with not such a high initiation fee I would check out Flossmoor. Awesome course and a solid group of members all age groups. Best thing to do is just email the clubs, most are more approachable than you would think. Let me know if you have any questions I live in the same area/same age group and went through the same process a couple years ago.

Thank you @TerrapinGolfer - am 33 at the moment... If I pay a smaller initiation now and keep my membership, will I eventually have to pay the remainder of the "normal" (AKA for someone over 35) initiation? And regarding Flossmoor, I've heard good things, but it's too far (a 45 minute drive from where we live with no traffic).

@Dashfast yes from my understanding you do have to pay the remainder but whatever dues you pay goes towards it. I would double check this, I tend to skip words when I read. I understand it is a bit of a drive, still though I would recommend checking out all the clubs and getting the full tour they will even give you a round of golf. Ask about the assessments, monthly minimum(which is very easy to reach) there are other fees like locker room, bag storage.