2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best Rain gear

chbrake

i wear a lot of hoodies in general, but the idea of wearing one while swinging a golf club concerns me. so i dont think i would like it.

i just ordered the nike hypershield convertible and a titleist stadry bucket hat. will have to see how it goes.

ive played in some light southern california drizzle with a beanie and it was fine for me.

i figure hoodless would give me the greatest flexibility.

give us some feedback on the hypershield.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

anyone have a really waterproof lite weight golf sweater or pullover

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

anyone have a really waterproof lite weight golf sweater or pullover

Also look at PING Zero Gravity half zip. Really good one as well (along with the Dexter), but with a LOT more stretch. Very comfortable. Slim Euro style fit, so it doesn't work for everyone. But if it does, it's great.

@Chris975d Thank you for all your info and recommendations. I just purchased the PX6 pro quip jacket from golfsupport. it’s the most comfy rain jacket I’ve ever had. Also, can’t beat that price.

Yup this makes it easy. I will order from them

Closer to my trip in August. Pro quip for sure at these prices. Are they always this price or is this like a fire sale?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Does anyone know the waterproof and breathabikity rating for the ProQuip StormForce PX6 Pro?

I've seen it published before, and I want to say both ratings are over 20K. But, those ratings can also be taken with a grain of salt. The rule of thumb is that, in general 15K and up is more than adequate for waterproofing, but I've had 15K that soaked me, and yet I've had 10K that kept me dry as a bone in monsoons, more or less. I typically prefer to look at the manufacturer and its reputation, and where the specific product falls in their lineup. For example, ProQuip is known for high quality, and the PX5/PX6 are their top tier products. So, I "know" that they are going to be essentially bulletproof, compared to the entry level PX1 and mid tier PX3.

Chris, which waterproof pants would you recommend?

Depends on the application. Lined? Unlined? Are you wanting them to go over existing shorts or pants, or wear standalone?

Ignore my question. I’ve just found a pair of the 2018 model Kjus Pro 3L in black, on eBay from what I believe is an official Kjus outlet in Austria - golf-for-life. £185 delivered, which is 40% cheaper than a new pair. Ordered.

A lot of the stuff on the Kjus website is brand new model year, as of a week ago, so no surprise that there is some 2018 kit going cheap elsewhere.

I’ve got the Mizuno Impermalite F20 at the moment and they annoy me. The adjustable leg mechanism with press-studs at the knee is a pain in the arse when you’re trying to get them on, and I bought a too big size, they’re massive. Waterproof yes, design flaws yes.

What i would like is a full jacket waterproff but with a half zipper. Any suggestions? I have a sunice half zip and shortsleeve and its awesome. But i would like full length sleeve after a few rain last summer.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Does anyone know the waterproof and breathabikity rating for the ProQuip StormForce PX6 Pro?

I've seen it published before, and I want to say both ratings are over 20K. But, those ratings can also be taken with a grain of salt. The rule of thumb is that, in general 15K and up is more than adequate for waterproofing, but I've had 15K that soaked me, and yet I've had 10K that kept me dry as a bone in monsoons, more or less. I typically prefer to look at the manufacturer and its reputation, and where the specific product falls in their lineup. For example, ProQuip is known for high quality, and the PX5/PX6 are their top tier products. So, I "know" that they are going to be essentially bulletproof, compared to the entry level PX1 and mid tier PX3.

Thanks

What i would like is a full jacket waterproff but with a half zipper. Any suggestions? I have a sunice half zip and shortsleeve and its awesome. But i would like full length sleeve after a few rain last summer.

PING Zero Gravity Tour full sleeve half zip. Packable, light, and good stretch.

https://ping.com/sho...-1-2-zip-jacket

Figured I'd add something to the thread that I learned today. It rained absolute cats and dogs here at the course today...anyone in Georgia today can attest to that...tornados and such. Obviously I didn't open the course for play, but I did do a few things outside at work today, and always look for these opportunities to test out rain gear. Put on a Dexter half zip full sleeve, about 8 months old. I learned that a Dexter will absolutely fail in a hard rain storm. Again, this was a rain that you couldn't possibly play golf in, as I was soaked within 5 minutes of being outside. But the membrane completely failed and water came straight through it. So the guidelines I've heard on the Dexter are true...packable garment used for getting caught in light rainstorms or to get you back to the clubhouse if a monsoon hits, but not for sustained play in a steady rain.

Photos taken after about 30 minutes of coming inside:

Exterior (if it looks like this, you're wet on the inside....this is "wetting out"...face fabric is soaked.

0a90a5271002a2b8e7f01bf6b8948e24.jpg

Interior showing where water came through the material

(Sleeve...inside of sleeve shown above)

a7eeede55a5aa3a20a0e45ca866fa095.jpg

(Chest)

272fca3aa20b69879cc6604a0eea27bf.jpg

Figured I'd add something to the thread that I learned today. It rained absolute cats and dogs here at the course today...anyone in Georgia today can attest to that...tornados and such. Obviously I didn't open the course for play, but I did do a few things outside at work today, and always look for these opportunities to test out rain gear. Put on a Dexter half zip full sleeve, about 8 months old. I learned that a Dexter will absolutely fail in a hard rain storm. Again, this was a rain that you couldn't possibly play golf in, as I was soaked within 5 minutes of being outside. But the membrane completely failed and water came straight through it. So the guidelines I've heard on the Dexter are true...packable garment used for getting caught in light rainstorms or to get you back to the clubhouse if a monsoon hits, but not for sustained play in a steady rain.

Exterior (if it looks like this, you're wet on the inside....this is "wetting out"...face fabric is soaked.

(Chest)

Joelsim .. u mad bro ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

(Chest)

Joelsim .. u mad bro ?

My post was not negatively directed at Joelsim. I own several of the Dexters myself and like them for what they are. I just also like to discover the limitations of things, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do so...it's not often in March that we get that hard of a rain that's also warm. My post was to show that there are trade offs to be made any time you go with the extreme end of the spectrum with something, and in the Dexter's case, it's the extreme end of the scale in terms of weight (or lack thereof). To be as light and packable as the Dexter, you're losing some waterproofing ability...as I already knew, but I wanted to see what that was. If you're planning on playing in a hell of a monsoon, or sustained heavy rain, the Dexter naturally will have limitations and in all likelihood not keep you dry. But then again, no one should realistically think that a rainshirt that can literally pack down and fit in your pants pocket is going to hold off all rain. Or, Kjus's premium Pro 3L would be just as thin/light.

I did something similar to chris975d this afternoon with the rain that came through NC. Put the FJ Hydroknit on and walked around outside for about 10 minutes in a heavy rain (not a downpour, but enough to get you wet in a hurry). Didn’t have a problem with water coming through at all. I doubt it would hold up forever, but for the type of rain that I would play folf through, I’m thinking it would do the trick.

(Chest)

Joelsim .. u mad bro ?

My post was not negatively directed at Joelsim. I own several of the Dexters myself and like them for what they are. I just also like to discover the limitations of things, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do so...it's not often in March that we get that hard of a rain that's also warm. My post was to show that there are trade offs to be made any time you go with the extreme end of the spectrum with something, and in the Dexter's case, it's the extreme end of the scale in terms of weight (or lack thereof). To be as light and packable as the Dexter, you're losing some waterproofing ability...as I already knew, but I wanted to see what that was. If you're planning on playing in a hell of a monsoon, or sustained heavy rain, the Dexter naturally will have limitations and in all likelihood not keep you dry. But then again, no one should realistically think that a rainshirt that can literally pack down and fit in your pants pocket is going to hold off all rain. Or, Kjus's premium Pro 3L would be just as thin/light.

i know you didnt mean anything negative. At all. Your apparel reviews are unparalleled. i own 4 pieces of golf outerwear, and 2 were purchased based on your opinions. So i highly value your insight. i also wish you could post a pic of the '19 Norse II lol.

i removed my comment above. apologies for the insensitivity.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

good info, thanks for sharing. my round at the weekend was pretty rainy but not the kind of biblical stuff i have seen before in the states.

I emailed ProQuip and got the following information in response to my questions about the waterproof and breathability rating: The PX6 has a rating of 20K fabric/20,000 grams.

Funnily enough I played today in a Dexter. It was sunny for the first 12 holes, then almost purple clouds came over and it seriously chucked it down from the 13th to 17th. I put a cap on and it was soaked after just a minute, so I put my UA Gore hat on. The hat worked well although water was streaming off it.

The Dexter worked but I did examine it, and it looked like your pictures, so I’m guessing it did wet out. It didn’t appear to make my jumper wet though, I didn’t feel wet underneath it but could well have done if it’d been consistently raining at that level for more holes. My playing partner was just wearing an unbranded rain jacket and he was complaining he was a bit wet underneath. He’s not one for buying any golf clothing at all.

When I got home I examined it properly but it was fully dry by then, so I’ve just washed it with Nikwax Tech Wash and it’s now hanging up to air dry.

It’s due to rain persistently all day on Wednesday when I’m next due to play so I’ll wear the Pro 3L then. I do see what you mean, after about 50 minutes of extremely heavy rain it did appear to be reaching its limit.

Alright guys- hit me with recommendations for big & tall rain gear. Preferably gore tex, and breathable. I wear 3x tall (or sometimes 3x). I have a couple of pairs of Footjoy rain pants that work, and one older Cutter & Buck jacket that's pretty good but not breathable.

And I'm looking for USA 3x, not Euro 3x that's really an XL.