Best Rain gear

chbrake

My Dexter just came in, Purple People Eater color from STP for $70. Ordered the 50 (medium) - fit is near perfect, I’m 5’8 160 lbs with an athletic build. Can’t wait to test it out at Bandon

I know the Sunice Apollo has been thrown around this thread a few times. Is it significantly worse than PX6 in terms of fit and waterproofing? The colors on the PX6 are not as good, yes ironic since I just bought a bright purple Dexter. Kicking myself for not buying the PX5 in Storm...

Has anyone tried out the Pro 3L vs the Pro 3L 2.0 from Kjus? It's about $250 extra for the 2.0 right now, so trying to decide which way to go. I have not a lot to go on, so am curious if anyone has any feedback on the differences and if they are worth it.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Has anyone tried out the Pro 3L vs the Pro 3L 2.0 from Kjus? It's about $250 extra for the 2.0 right now, so trying to decide which way to go. I have not a lot to go on, so am curious if anyone has any feedback on the differences and if they are worth it.

I've been looking at it to get it and try...I'm a sucker for testing new rain gear. But honestly I've fallen so in love with the Kjus Clive that I don't know how the new Pro 3L 2.0 could be something I like even more. I never use my current Pro 3L anymore.

I've been looking at it to get it and try...I'm a sucker for testing new rain gear. But honestly I've fallen so in love with the Kjus Clive that I don't know how the new Pro 3L 2.0 could be something I like even more. I never use my current Pro 3L anymore.

My post was intended to narrow down the choices, not expand them! What do you like about the Clive? In particular compared to the Pro 3L?

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

My post was intended to narrow down the choices, not expand them! What do you like about the Clive? In particular compared to the Pro 3L?

For me, it's almost their perfect model. It's very, very light. Not Dexter light, as it has a liner, but basically like a Dexter with a liner. It's very quiet and soft/supple. Good amount of stretch. Has adjustable cuffs. It's like they blended the Pro 3L with a Dexter. And it breathes extremely well. I'll put it on in the morning when I leave the house and honestly forget I have it on and wear it all day at work at the course. Even in the 70+ degree days we’ve had this year. I’ve even had my assistant say “I don’t know how you’re not burning up wearing that jacket today” and it was only then that I realized I was even wearing it.

They don’t offer the Clive anymore.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

For me, it's almost their perfect model. It's very, very light. Not Dexter light, as it has a liner, but basically like a Dexter with a liner. It's very quiet and soft/supple. Good amount of stretch. Has adjustable cuffs. It's like they blended the Pro 3L with a Dexter. And it breathes extremely well. I'll put it on in the morning when I leave the house and honestly forget I have it on and wear it all day at work at the course. Even in the 70+ degree days we’ve had this year. I’ve even had my assistant say “I don’t know how you’re not burning up wearing that jacket today” and it was only then that I realized I was even wearing it.

Thanks Chris - do you prefer the Clive over the Pro 3L because the Pro 3L is too hot? I'm going to be mostly wearing this in a cold place, so warm and dry is a combination I want to be able to achieve. The Pro 3L 2.0 seems to have better stretch than the Pro 3L, but I suspect is otherwise pretty similar. The Clive is less money, which is clearly a plus, but I want this to be a "this is the last one I have to buy" thing, so if there are drawbacks to the Clive, it would be good to know what they are.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

I screwed up! Didn't leave enough time for Golfsupport. They had to order my pants from ProQuip, and then ship them. That additional couple days is going to cut it too close, unless they can ship right to Bandon, which I'm inquiring about.

Any other options now that I'm in a pickle and hate the idea of flying out without any rain pants in tow? I'm shifting from finding the perfect pair of pants to "make sure I have something."

They don’t offer the Clive anymore.

It's on their website.

hmm when I google it, it takes me to their site and shows sold out. Only offered in blue. Is there another one?

Thanks Chris - do you prefer the Clive over the Pro 3L because the Pro 3L is too hot? I'm going to be mostly wearing this in a cold place, so warm and dry is a combination I want to be able to achieve. The Pro 3L 2.0 seems to have better stretch than the Pro 3L, but I suspect is otherwise pretty similar. The Clive is less money, which is clearly a plus, but I want this to be a "this is the last one I have to buy" thing, so if there are drawbacks to the Clive, it would be good to know what they are.

Most of my reasons are just personal that I've developed over the years of buying/trying/testing out LOTS AND LOTS of raingear. I like the Clive a bit better because of the material feel, mostly. It's a bit softer and more supple, and just a bit more quiet. Not that the Pro 3L is loud, it's just that the Clive is that soft/quiet. And the Pro 3L isn't heavy, but for me, I can always "tell" or "feel" that I'm wearing a waterproof when it's on. The Clive just disappears on me. As I said before I literally forget I'm wearing it. It breathes, but yet is also warm for what it is. And remember (if you haven't read some of my seemingly 100s of posts on raingear) that I'm an extremely cold natured person. I like that it has an interior mesh liner to keep the membrane directly off my skin on the inside. I don't know what it is, but with any company's waterproofs, when the waterproof membrane touches my skin on the inside, it's always noticable. Even makes me feel colder somehow. But that mesh liner in the Clive allows the membrane to not be on my skin, and allows the exterior to move and flow without moving directly on my skin.

Now I've only had each about a year, so I can't speak to the longevity of the Fast membrane of the Clive vs the Derzimax (amazing membrane, probably best on the market in my opinion)of the Pro 3L, but it's still working like new with my level of usage. And again, if you've read any of my rain gear posts, I use the hell out of raingear.

I screwed up! Didn't leave enough time for Golfsupport. They had to order my pants from ProQuip, and then ship them. That additional couple days is going to cut it too close, unless they can ship right to Bandon, which I'm inquiring about.

Any other options now that I'm in a pickle and hate the idea of flying out without any rain pants in tow? I'm shifting from finding the perfect pair of pants to "make sure I have something."

I got an email that budget golf carries Galvin Green now- May want to try there. Or order some ping zero gravity and get them shipped fast. I don’t have any experience with either pants, just the zero gravity top, which is great

I got an email that budget golf carries Galvin Green now- May want to try there. Or order some ping zero gravity and get them shipped fast. I don’t have any experience with either pants, just the zero gravity top, which is great

I wouldn't waste my time looking at BudgetGolf for Galvin Green. Their prices are a bit absurd. $700 for a jacket and $600 for pants. I've inquired into becoming a Galvin Green retailer in the US, so I know what the wholesale is on it. Unless it's changed a LOT in 12 month time, which I doubt.

I haven’t tried the Clive, but it doesn’t appear to be as breathable as the Dexter or the Pro 3L.

My take on this and I have three Dexters and a Pro 3L is as follows.

Grey 1/2 zip Dexter in my golf bag so I’m never caught short. And grey goes with everything.

Claret 1/2 zip Dexter to wear when there is light rain forecast.

Atlanta Blue Dexter Jacket for when it’s likely to be a mix of rain and sun, unzip fully as required.

Atlanta Pro 3L for when there is heavy rain forecast or it’s very cold.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been caught in torrential rain with a Dexter and it’s always performed admirably.

I haven’t tried the Clive, but it doesn’t appear to be as breathable as the Dexter or the Pro 3L.

My take on this and I have three Dexters and a Pro 3L is as follows.

Grey 1/2 zip Dexter in my golf bag so I’m never caught short. And grey goes with everything.

Claret 1/2 zip Dexter to wear when there is light rain forecast.

Atlanta Blue Dexter Jacket for when it’s likely to be a mix of rain and sun, unzip fully as required.

Atlanta Pro 3L for when there is heavy rain forecast or it’s very cold.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been caught in torrential rain with a Dexter and it’s always performed admirably.

I've got them all as well, the Pro 3L, Clive, and several Dexters, had the Dexters for quite some time, and the Clive is far and away my favorite to wear of the 3. I don't even use the Dexters that much anymore, they are just relegated to emergency kit duty (which is what they are designed for). I wear the Clive in situations where I used to wear the Dexters, and don't feel like I'm wearing anything significantly heavier, and way more upscale. The Clive is like a hybrid Pro 3L/Dexter cross.

I wouldn't waste my time looking at BudgetGolf for Galvin Green. Their prices are a bit absurd. $700 for a jacket and $600 for pants. I've inquired into becoming a Galvin Green retailer in the US, so I know what the wholesale is on it. Unless it's changed a LOT in 12 month time, which I doubt.

Thanks. I honestly don't feel as strongly about pants as a jacket. I can wear a jacket for rainy days going to work, etc. But will want something to bring. I've asked them to ship straight to BD, and for any other options they have in stock. Any opinions on the Aquastorm PX1 or the Tourflex PX3 (both are in my size on their site)? Are they just older models, or lower-end? Based on the price (about half the PX6) I assume they're lower quality.

Thanks. I honestly don't feel as strongly about pants as a jacket. I can wear a jacket for rainy days going to work, etc. But will want something to bring. I've asked them to ship straight to BD, and for any other options they have in stock. Any opinions on the Aquastorm PX1 or the Tourflex PX3 (both are in my size on their site)? Are they just older models, or lower-end? Based on the price (about half the PX6) I assume they're lower quality.

I have a pair of each actually, the PX1s and PX3s, as well as my PX5s which are my favorite rain pants. If you're not using them several times a month or more, any of them will do in a pinch. Yes, they are slightly less robust and feature filled as the PX5s, but I've found in my extensive use that pants aren't nearly as important as a good jacket. Pants rarely are subject to direct rainfall, and just in general aren't subjected to the levels of wetness that jackets are. And with the PX3s, I've often times gotten them confused with my PX5s. They are that close in terms of wear and fit

I have a pair of each actually, the PX1s and PX3s, as well as my PX5s which are my favorite rain pants. If you're not using them several times a month or more, any of them will do in a pinch. Yes, they are slightly less robust and feature filled as the PX5s, but I've found in my extensive use that pants aren't nearly as important as a good jacket. Pants rarely are subject to direct rainfall, and just in general aren't subjected to the levels of wetness that jackets are. And with the PX3s, I've often times gotten them confused with my PX5s. They are that close in terms of wear and fit

Thank you so much. I'm waiting to hear what they've got in stock. Fingers crossed I can make it work.

Chris

Is it not possible for you to become a Proquip dealer in the US? The proquip usa site seems to have sole rights here in the US which is very different than europe, where many shops sell it, and why i assume they charge such drastically higher prices because they dont have any competition

Chris

Is it not possible for you to become a Proquip dealer in the US? The proquip usa site seems to have sole rights here in the US which is very different than europe, where many shops sell it, and why i assume they charge such drastically higher prices because they dont have any competition

You know, it's not really something I've looked at before. While ProQuip is really good, it's not a widely known brand to the average golfer AT ALL. Remember, 95% of golfers out there don't know a third of the info/brands/etc that GolfWRXers or other forum members know. It would definitely be a hard sell in my area, as all people know here for rain gear is FootJoy and "GoreTex". While I would love to have a wholesale account for ProQuip for my own personal use, I always have to remember that I'm not stocking the proshop to sell to me, I'm selling to the average golfer. If I stocked it for me, I'd have 10 times the dollar amount tied up in inventory, and stock would be priced too expensive for anyone to buy. lol.

Chris

I have a proquip account, but it's not much cheaper or faster than buying from golfsupport to be honest.

I got an email that budget golf carries Galvin Green now- May want to try there. Or order some ping zero gravity and get them shipped fast. I dont have any experience with either pants, just the zero gravity top, which is great

Chris

I have a proquip account, but it's not much cheaper or faster than buying from golfsupport to be honest.

That's also kind of what I figured. Looking at the MSRP prices on proquip USAs site, it's pretty easy to ballpark the wholesale cost. Which, like you said, isn't much different than ordering from overseas.

Really appreciate the help. They had a pair of PX1 in stock in my size. Save me $60 and for as infrequently as I'll wear them, I think they'll do the trick. Now just fingers crossed they show up by Tuesday. I suggested they ship directly to Bandon, but never got a response to that.

Hi Chris975D,

I'm planning on buying a set of rain gear and was hoping to confirm your thoughts on:

Proquip Mens Tour rain jacket

vs

Aqua Strom PX1 Rain Jacket

also for pants, should I buy a size or 2 bigger for rain pants since I might put them on and take them off during play?

since Im wearing shoes with Spikes...

Headed to Ireland in August for work (ha) with customers for golf. Since it’s essentially a work trip, funded by them, I’m thinking of splurging on good gear. I know I mentioned Galway Bay earlier buy Proquip was the other I was considering. Some PX5 pants and jacket. Is the PX6 that much better? I prefer the color of the gray PX5 buy wondering why it’s not on the Proquip USA site. It seems limited.