Best Rain gear

chbrake

Does anyone know the waterproof and breathabikity rating for the ProQuip StormForce PX6 Pro?

I've seen it published before, and I want to say both ratings are over 20K. But, those ratings can also be taken with a grain of salt. The rule of thumb is that, in general 15K and up is more than adequate for waterproofing, but I've had 15K that soaked me, and yet I've had 10K that kept me dry as a bone in monsoons, more or less. I typically prefer to look at the manufacturer and its reputation, and where the specific product falls in their lineup. For example, ProQuip is known for high quality, and the PX5/PX6 are their top tier products. So, I "know" that they are going to be essentially bulletproof, compared to the entry level PX1 and mid tier PX3.

I own the Proquip Stormforce. I bought them last year in preparation for my trip last year to Scotland. I will say without a doubt they are the best I have ever tried. Granted, I really hadn't played in much weather before I bought them(well in 15+ years anyway). I was in Scotland during the Open Championship last year. The Friday that it was bad for them I played in driving rain and walked 18 on the Jubilee. I stayed almost completely dry. Let me rephrase, everything the Proquip was covering stayed dry. Hat wasn't waterproof, and of course when out from under the umbrella it got wet and some water got in there. My shoes also got wet. I have played in rain 5 or 6 other times as well and the Proquip have been amazing.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Does anyone know the waterproof and breathabikity rating for the ProQuip StormForce PX6 Pro?

I've seen it published before, and I want to say both ratings are over 20K. But, those ratings can also be taken with a grain of salt. The rule of thumb is that, in general 15K and up is more than adequate for waterproofing, but I've had 15K that soaked me, and yet I've had 10K that kept me dry as a bone in monsoons, more or less. I typically prefer to look at the manufacturer and its reputation, and where the specific product falls in their lineup. For example, ProQuip is known for high quality, and the PX5/PX6 are their top tier products. So, I "know" that they are going to be essentially bulletproof, compared to the entry level PX1 and mid tier PX3.

I own the Proquip Stormforce. I bought them last year in preparation for my trip last year to Scotland. I will say without a doubt they are the best I have ever tried. Granted, I really hadn't played in much weather before I bought them(well in 15+ years anyway). I was in Scotland during the Open Championship last year. The Friday that it was bad for them I played in driving rain and walked 18 on the Jubilee. I stayed almost completely dry. Let me rephrase, everything the Proquip was covering stayed dry. Hat wasn't waterproof, and of course when out from under the umbrella it got wet and some water got in there. My shoes also got wet. I have played in rain 5 or 6 other times as well and the Proquip have been amazing.

Any special care for them? Or just wash and dry like any other golf garment.

Thanks

A couple more proquip questions....

But first I’d like to thank all of you, and especially Chris for all the time he has spent on here helping everyone out with his vast knowledge! I’ve been reading this post and researching for the last few days, and figured I better ask before I order from across the pond.

1. I live in Iowa and I do play in a bit of rain when I have to, but mostly I need a wind suit as it seems to never cease here unless it’s 90plus degrees. So, I will be wearing it mostly over a layer or 2, and playing down into the 30’s. Seems like the proquip is the best bang for the buck killing 2 birds with one stone???? Wind and rain. And hopefully some warmth as well. Any other opinions there?

2. I’m 6’ 0” tall. Weigh 185 pounds. I have a smallish gut, but it’s definitely there. Shoulders are on the broad side of average, but I’m relatively skinny except for that gut. Jean size is 34x32, but they are a little tight here at the end of winter. Chest is 43 without any clothes. But like I said, mostly going to have something under it.

3. I went to the store here and tried on the FootJoy LTS (only decent suit they had) and the jacket that fit me was definitely the XL. So it seems like that’s probably what I need here as well, but there are some much bigger guys than me on here that said XL fit them good so that made me wonder??

4. In the FJ pants the medium would have been ok with nothing under it, and the large felt a little too big. I was definitely squarely in between. Both pant leg lengths were too long. I was thinking the large pants with the 33 leg?? But someone else here posted they have 32” inseam as well and they like the 31”. Definitely don’t want it too short, but too long obviously isn’t great either??

5. Wish I could find a px5 jacket as I’m not all that keen on the px6 saying proquip on every panel and having the racing stripes, but it is what it is I guess...as for the pants, does anyone here have both? Chris says the px5 pants are his favorite and they are about 25 bucks cheaper on golf support. But when I’m in for this much I’m usually inclined to spend that much extra for the latest?

That’s all I can think to ask at the moment, and THANKS AGAIN! I had already spent hours on the web researching before I stumbled on this thread, and boy am I glad I did! More good information on here than the rest of the web combined...Cheers and thanks!!!!

Live in Southern Ontario, Canada, and cannot find any rain gear locally except the foot joy brand. Some Calvin Green stuff over in Detroit Michigan, but just not a wide selection. Read about golfsupport and Pro Quip, and sent them an email asking for the sizing chart. Within an hour, I had a response with everything I needed to know. Placed the order on Tuesday morning and by that afternoon the PX6 rain jacket and pants were on their way. Started getting timely updates from both golfsupport and from the delivery service DHL. Received an update email today (Thursday) that my package was in Cincinatti Ohio, and would be delivered by tomorrow, Friday. So 4 days in total from the time I ordered it , until it will be in my hands. The price is unbeatable, the communication and support was top shelf, and this has been a totally enjoyable experience up to this point. If you live in the US, you might get your delivery in 3 days as my package has to go through customs etc. Have yet to see the rain suit, but I just wanted to post something commending golfsupport.com for the fantastic attention to detail in their processes. I would not hesitate at all to order again from them.

But first I’d like to thank all of you, and especially Chris for all the time he has spent on here helping everyone out with his vast knowledge! I’ve been reading this post and researching for the last few days, and figured I better ask before I order from across the pond.

1. I live in Iowa and I do play in a bit of rain when I have to, but mostly I need a wind suit as it seems to never cease here unless it’s 90plus degrees. So, I will be wearing it mostly over a layer or 2, and playing down into the 30’s. Seems like the proquip is the best bang for the buck killing 2 birds with one stone???? Wind and rain. And hopefully some warmth as well. Any other opinions there?

2. I’m 6’ 0” tall. Weigh 185 pounds. I have a smallish gut, but it’s definitely there. Shoulders are on the broad side of average, but I’m relatively skinny except for that gut. Jean size is 34x32, but they are a little tight here at the end of winter. Chest is 43 without any clothes. But like I said, mostly going to have something under it.

3. I went to the store here and tried on the FootJoy LTS (only decent suit they had) and the jacket that fit me was definitely the XL. So it seems like that’s probably what I need here as well, but there are some much bigger guys than me on here that said XL fit them good so that made me wonder??

4. In the FJ pants the medium would have been ok with nothing under it, and the large felt a little too big. I was definitely squarely in between. Both pant leg lengths were too long. I was thinking the large pants with the 33 leg?? But someone else here posted they have 32” inseam as well and they like the 31”. Definitely don’t want it too short, but too long obviously isn’t great either??

5. Wish I could find a px5 jacket as I’m not all that keen on the px6 saying proquip on every panel and having the racing stripes, but it is what it is I guess...as for the pants, does anyone here have both? Chris says the px5 pants are his favorite and they are about 25 bucks cheaper on golf support. But when I’m in for this much I’m usually inclined to spend that much extra for the latest?

That’s all I can think to ask at the moment, and THANKS AGAIN! I had already spent hours on the web researching before I stumbled on this thread, and boy am I glad I did! More good information on here than the rest of the web combined...Cheers and thanks!!!!

I have PX5 jacket. Works very well as a cold weather and wind jacket, I wear in the 30/40s with a mid layer pretty comfortably.

I’m 6’5” 240 wear a 46L jacket. And XL fits me. I would say proquip is fairly standard to US sizes.

Gman05, look at the FJ Hydroknit. Lightweight, stretches well, great in the wind, and does the job in the kind of rain you’re talking about. I made several posts about mine earlier in the thread. I would say the fit is similar to the LTS jacket (I tried on both), so if you liked the fit of the XL in the LTS, I’d go with that in the Hydroknit as well. Definitely lighter weight than the LTS, though.

Are the Hypershield pants meant to go over your golf pants or be worn by themself? I kind of like the idea of just keeping them in my bag and throw them over if rain breaks out.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

No problem regarding helping out! My pleasure to do so.

Regarding your questions,

1. Most all raingear will, by it's nature, be windproof as well. That's just the nature of the beast with most waterproof membranes. As far as warmth, no raingear specific piece will offer a lot of insulating/heat retention properties, unless the garment was designed as a waterproof AND insulating piece, and as such, would have an additional thermal liner/insulation inside the jacket. Zero Restriction (the "Gore Brother" model) and Galvin Green (I believe it was the "Akin") have made excellent waterproof winter specific jackets like this in the past, and I've owned or do own each of them to speak for how great they are, but this style isn't very popular. Most people like to have a thin waterproof for maximum versatility, as it's easy to wear them alone on a summer rainy day, and layer under them on colder days.

2 and 3. A chest measurement will put you firmly into size "Large" in most raingear, ProQuip and FootJoy included. I will say that most Americans do wear clothes and outerwear far too loose/baggy than its designed fit, but if the XL LTS was the size that you felt comfortable in, then that would translate to an XL in ProQuip as well. You most definitely want to be comfortable in whatever you are wearing.

4. I'm not sure what the question is here...length? I will say that 1" short will not be as much of an issue as 1" long will be. 1" long will either drag the ground around your heel if they can't be cinched up, and that'll just wear out that edge very quickly.

5. As far as PX5 vs PX6 pants, again, I don't have 1st hand knowledge of the PX6. They are, by all the research I can find, constructed the same, and both have lifetime guarantees, for whatever that's worth (I've discussed warranties on raingear several times). So I'd say there would be no appreciable difference in the two. I have found through extensive use that pants aren't nearly as important as the jacket. I can actually say that my PX1, PX3, and PX5 pants honestly all seem about the same in regards to water resistance, it's just I find the material of the PX5 a bit more refined and nicer. But not by much. Again, pants aren't usually taking direct rainfall like a jacket, and most all water they do encounter is just runoff from the jacket. Only real water under pressure they are experiencing if/when you are sitting down on a seat, and usually your cart seat isn't getting THAT wet anyway. If it is, you're playing in one hell of a storm usually. Where I personally experience this wet seat issue is at the course on a mower or tractor in the rain. Standing up/sitting down on a wet seat a bunch will eventually push water through almost any membrane.

Pants:

I’ve evolved from the classic baggy rain pants where they are worn “over your pants or shorts” to a product like Galway Bay where the rain pants ARE your pants. No more on and off as well as dragging a pair around in your bag, rather you wear the tailored rain pants both lined, for below 50 degrees, and unlined for warmer days. This is the best innovation of golf gear in years, particularly if your going on a trip to Scotland or Bandon where you’re going to walk. No more “on and offs” less stuff to carry in your bag etc, if you’ve made these types of trips, you’ll know what I mean.

Tops:

There are so many companies that make a good goretex products; my only advice is to find one that has “zip up” chest pockets and Doesn’t have the classic hand pockets, b/c all the pockets do is interfere with your putting or swing.

anyone have a really waterproof lite weight golf sweater or pullover

Also look at PING Zero Gravity half zip. Really good one as well (along with the Dexter), but with a LOT more stretch. Very comfortable. Slim Euro style fit, so it doesn't work for everyone. But if it does, it's great.

Hi Chris,

Any idea where to find the PING Zero Gravity Half Zip still? A friend has one and it's awesome, but I'm struggling to find one new.

Thank you!

Also look at PING Zero Gravity half zip. Really good one as well (along with the Dexter), but with a LOT more stretch. Very comfortable. Slim Euro style fit, so it doesn't work for everyone. But if it does, it's great.

Hi Chris,

Any idea where to find the PING Zero Gravity Half Zip still? A friend has one and it's awesome, but I'm struggling to find one new.

Thank you!

As long as you’re not a medium (only size out of stock), have you tried ping.com?

https://ping.com/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/rainwear/zero-gravity-tour-1-2-zip-jacket

Hi Chris,

Thank you!

As long as you’re not a medium (only size out of stock), have you tried ping.com?

https://ping.com/sho...-1-2-zip-jacket

Sorry, I was not clear.

I am trying to find the previous model, without the adjustable sleeve cuffs.

Thanks!

Hi Chris,

Thank you!

https://ping.com/sho...-1-2-zip-jacket

Sorry, I was not clear.

I am trying to find the previous model, without the adjustable sleeve cuffs.

Thanks!

Ah. A previous model might be tough. PING is hard to find new, and even harder to find used! People don’t let go of it once they get it.

Pants:

I've evolved from the classic baggy rain pants where they are worn "over your pants or shorts" to a product like Galway Bay where the rain pants ARE your pants. No more on and off as well as dragging a pair around in your bag, rather you wear the tailored rain pants both lined, for below 50 degrees, and unlined for warmer days. This is the best innovation of golf gear in years, particularly if your going on a trip to Scotland or Bandon where you're going to walk. No more "on and offs" less stuff to carry in your bag etc, if you've made these types of trips, you'll know what I mean.

Tops:

There are so many companies that make a good goretex products; my only advice is to find one that has "zip up" chest pockets and Doesn't have the classic hand pockets, b/c all the pockets do is interfere with your putting or swing.

All very sound advice. I played a few days this past weekend with on and off rain pants, and I it really is a PITA. Thanks for the heads up on the weatherproof pants from Galway Bay, I think those will be a great option for my Bandon trip later this year. And will keep the load lighter while walking 144 holes in 4 days. I also agree with your opinion on the jacket with the pockets. Pockets on my FJ Tour LTS jacket do tend to bother me while putting.

Pants:

I've evolved from the classic baggy rain pants where they are worn "over your pants or shorts" to a product like Galway Bay where the rain pants ARE your pants. No more on and off as well as dragging a pair around in your bag, rather you wear the tailored rain pants both lined, for below 50 degrees, and unlined for warmer days. This is the best innovation of golf gear in years, particularly if your going on a trip to Scotland or Bandon where you're going to walk. No more "on and offs" less stuff to carry in your bag etc, if you've made these types of trips, you'll know what I mean.

Tops:

There are so many companies that make a good goretex products; my only advice is to find one that has "zip up" chest pockets and Doesn't have the classic hand pockets, b/c all the pockets do is interfere with your putting or swing.

Thanks for this suggestion! I am getting on the waiting list for the Galway Bay pants in my size... but while I'm waiting, does anyone know of any similar pants on the market?

Also, while I am here, I want to give a quick shout out to chris975d and everyone else who has provided info on this thread! I've lurked on this thread for about a 6 months prepping for a Scotland trip this coming summer, and the info I've taken from this thread has dictated the purchasing decisions for myself and three of my buddies. Y'all have been a huge help!

I don’t get the desire for waterproof pants that eliminate your regular pants. This may be fine in spring and fall but in the dead of summer with 80 degrees or more maybe not. I have long rain pants and also rain shorts. Zero Restriction made them a few years back but their web site doesn’t show them now. I also have a half-sleeve rain vest from ZR too. Works well.

I don't get the desire for waterproof pants that eliminate your regular pants. This may be fine in spring and fall but in the dead of summer with 80 degrees or more maybe not. I have long rain pants and also rain shorts. Zero Restriction made them a few years back but their web site doesn't show them now. I also have a half-sleeve rain vest from ZR too. Works well.

I have a pair of those ZR pants. Only wore them a couple of times and they seemed to prevent rain, don't remember them getting wet. Always have rain gear in the bag.

Does anyone have experience with the GG Angelo jacket? What are your thoughts? There are so many GG styles it is difficult to differentiate without seeing any in person.

I haven’t owned that specific model of Galvin Green, but having owned/still owning a lot of their models from each year, I can tell you that it’s a GoreTex Paclite model, and typically all of their Paclite models fit and function the same. It just comes down to what style/look you’re going for. Anything specific that you’re wanting answered or feedback on?

just received the PX6 jacket and PX1 pants (no PX5's were in my size were available), they look and feel great! Hoping it rains in LA asap!

any glove recommendations?

played a few weeks ago in the rain with my Titliest players and I could feel it slip and ultimately ruined my glove.

Footjoy rainglove is the best one I've found. Gets grippier when it gets wet and doesn't stretch. I sometimes wear it in the middle of summer too if I'm getting very sweaty.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Does anyone have experience with the GG Angelo jacket? What are your thoughts? There are so many GG styles it is difficult to differentiate without seeing any in person.

I haven’t owned that specific model of Galvin Green, but having owned/still owning a lot of their models from each year, I can tell you that it’s a GoreTex Paclite model, and typically all of their Paclite models fit and function the same. It just comes down to what style/look you’re going for. Anything specific that you’re wanting answered or feedback on?

Looking for a good all purpose rain jacket. Something that will keep out some really bad rain on a golf trip, but something I can also wear as an extra layer/ wind proof in the spring and fall. I’ve thought about the ProQuip PX6 because of all of the rave reviews on here, but the branding all over the jacket makes it less versatile in my opinion.

I haven't owned that specific model of Galvin Green, but having owned/still owning a lot of their models from each year, I can tell you that it's a GoreTex Paclite model, and typically all of their Paclite models fit and function the same. It just comes down to what style/look you're going for. Anything specific that you're wanting answered or feedback on?

Looking for a good all purpose rain jacket. Something that will keep out some really bad rain on a golf trip, but something I can also wear as an extra layer/ wind proof in the spring and fall. I've thought about the ProQuip PX6 because of all of the rave reviews on here, but the branding all over the jacket makes it less versatile in my opinion.

If you're wanting to stick with GoreTex, then a GoreTex Paclite like the Angelo would be your best bet for that use case. It's a lightweight (for GoreTex, there are plenty of lighter competitors out there however) shell with only the waterproof membrane on the inside and a very thin face fabric bonded to the exterior. Four seasons type use, as it's thin enough to wear in a summer rain (GoreTex doesn't breathe well, but this is the thinnest, most breathable golf application of GoreTex), yet can also be a water and wind proof layer in colder temps, provided you layer appropriately underneath.

I will add that although Galvin Green is a great label, and I have several pieces from them, GoreTex Paclite (like the Angelo) is not exclusive to them, and is honestly priced much higher with them than what you can find most competitors' GT PacLite pieces for. Actually my favorite PacLite jackets are several models of Under Armour's PacLite golf jackets. They use the material really well in terms of constructing it for movement in the golf swing, better than Galvin Green in my opinion from testing several PacLite models of each manufacturer. Good fits, not '"loose trashcan liner" fit like FootJoy USA, yet not quite as slim cut as most Euro fits. Hits a sweet spot right in between.

I haven't owned that specific model of Galvin Green, but having owned/still owning a lot of their models from each year, I can tell you that it's a GoreTex Paclite model, and typically all of their Paclite models fit and function the same. It just comes down to what style/look you're going for. Anything specific that you're wanting answered or feedback on?

Looking for a good all purpose rain jacket. Something that will keep out some really bad rain on a golf trip, but something I can also wear as an extra layer/ wind proof in the spring and fall. I've thought about the ProQuip PX6 because of all of the rave reviews on here, but the branding all over the jacket makes it less versatile in my opinion.

If you're wanting to stick with GoreTex, then a GoreTex Paclite like the Angelo would be your best bet for that use case. It's a lightweight (for GoreTex, there are plenty of lighter competitors out there however) shell with only the waterproof membrane on the inside and a very thin face fabric bonded to the exterior. Four seasons type use, as it's thin enough to wear in a summer rain (GoreTex doesn't breathe well, but this is the thinnest, most breathable golf application of GoreTex), yet can also be a water and wind proof layer in colder temps, provided you layer appropriately underneath.

I will add that although Galvin Green is a great label, and I have several pieces from them, GoreTex Paclite (like the Angelo) is not exclusive to them, and is honestly priced much higher with them than what you can find most competitors' GT PacLite pieces for. Actually my favorite PacLite jackets are several models of Under Armour's PacLite golf jackets. They use the material really well in terms of constructing it for movement in the golf swing, better than Galvin Green in my opinion from testing several PacLite models of each manufacturer. Good fits, not '"loose trashcan liner" fit like FootJoy USA, yet not quite as slim cut as most Euro fits. Hits a sweet spot right in between.

Thanks Chris. I’ll check out the UA Paclite, but maybe go with one of the other non- Gore-Tex competitors that seem to be getting a lot of love for all purpose rain jackets.