Maltby PTM ?

FirePro

Let's hear more about this ptm head. Presently have the maltby TEs and just wondering if the ptms are worth pursuing.

Does anyone have the SCORE or KBS 105 shaft in them? I seem to get on better with mid weight shafts.

I have a 6 iron PTM head in a KBS Tour 105S as well as Score shaft in a second PTM 6 iron head. To me the KBS is a little more aggressive in flex. Score feels better, but I wouldn't say it's better dispersion wise. It's a solid iron. Compared to the TE it launches a bit lower. PTM Seems much larger but in reality it's more of a visual thing. The PTM also has a good amount of weight down low and they tend to feel a bit heavy but in a good way. The lofts on the PTM are stronger so club for club they play longer. Feel wise they are pretty close, the TE does have that unmistakable feel when you hit it flush that almost seems as if you missed the ball entirely. I think it's worth it to make up a single club to tinker with.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popeye, thanks. In the forgiveness dept., is it a tossup between the TE and PTM?
I think it is pretty close with the PTM being a little better forgiveness wise because of its larger size. But that can be perceived differently for each golfer.

I got curious, so I looked them up.... The MOI of the TE and PTM are nearly identical. And strangely, the DBM PTM rated lower than the chrome PTM, possibly because the tested DBM clubhead was 4g lighter.

Which says some interesting things about the relative forgiveness differences of clubheads with various MOI. At least to me. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Popeye, thanks. In the forgiveness dept., is it a tossup between the TE and PTM?
I think it is pretty close with the PTM being a little better forgiveness wise because of its larger size. But that can be perceived differently for each golfer.

I got curious, so I looked them up.... The MOI of the TE and PTM are nearly identical. And strangely, the DBM PTM rated lower than the chrome PTM, possibly because the tested DBM clubhead was 4g lighter.

Which says some interesting things about the relative forgiveness differences of clubheads with various MOI. At least to me. ;)

I think the V cog that is extremely low on the TE really plays into the forgiveness. If you cant get the TE to fly effortlessly it's not the clubhead. The TE which is relatively a lot higher evens it out in playability factor. All that weight down low on the TE helps out its score.

• 3 weeks later...

I wander if they fall more in line with the ke4 forged.....I remember them being slightly bigger than the TE, but they had the weight screw in the middle of the cavity for easy SW adjustability, and that gawdy cavity badge.

I'm returning mine because of that cavity badge. The clubs play well, I just couldn't get over that they used a black sharpie to make up tolerances where the badges weren't cut correctly.

Call me vain.

pretty sure it would pi$$ me right off too - it should be done right. I have just started gaming Maltby DBM's and like them a lot. the really simple design is great - no gawdy decals or other crap on them.

How high does your setup launch? I had the KE4 Tour +'s with the TT Score shafts. That combo launched really high causing some ballooning.

more the score shafts on that way. They play a little soft to flex.

Let's hear more about this ptm head. Presently have the maltby TEs and just wondering if the ptms are worth pursuing.

Does anyone have the SCORE or KBS 105 shaft in them? I seem to get on better with mid weight shafts.

I'm Maltby all the way. These are a performer. Closest to a muscle back I've ever hit. Built a 7 iron with a standard 125gm DG shaft. Very close to the KE4 forged. I think you'd like them with any shaft. I game the TEs. The PTM seem a little more solid. Perhaps more weight behind the ball than the TEs. Not sure if I'd go for an entire set because I like the TE so much. The biggest difference are the lofts. Much stronger than other forged offerings. Not such a bad thing. Check in with the Maltby forum for more. Great resource.

Found this when researching the KE4 Tour heads, Britt Lindsey explains the VCOG has little impact on the launch angle, it has more to do with feel than anything else.

http://ralphmaltby.com/forum/question/loft-vcog-relationship/

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Found this when researching the KE4 Tour heads, Britt Lindsey explains the VCOG has little impact on the launch angle, it has more to do with feel than anything else.

http://ralphmaltby.c...g-relationship/

It's more about spin. All else equal, the further the sweet-spot (AVCOG) is driven below the center of the ball, the more spin will be produced.

This is why some players who really go down and through can find too "soft" of a flight with the lowest sweet-spot designs. Although this is not always the case for this player type, because if our "low point" or where we return to the turf is a little further forward, the sweet-spot will come in a little higher on the ball.

So this is how a lower... or at least "not so high" of a sweet-spot can help many players produce consistently cleaner solid contact, where the face meets the ball before the turf and the COG can still get under the center of the ball

It's more about spin. All else equal, the further the sweet-spot (AVCOG) is driven below the center of the ball, the more spin will be produced.

This is why some players who really go down and through can find too "soft" of a flight with the lowest sweet-spot designs. Although this is not always the case for this player type, because if our "low point" or where we return to the turf is a little further forward, the sweet-spot will come in a little higher on the ball.

So this is how a lower... or at least "not so high" of a sweet-spot can help many players produce consistently cleaner solid contact, where the face meets the ball before the turf and the COG can still get under the center of the ball

I see what you are saying, Britt does say contact, I took that to mean feel, but what you are saying makes perfect sense.

I was considering ordering the DBM line a couple years ago, but was scared off by all the high launch talk as I have a very upright swing. So I bought a set of M3 Staff irons with the Gold XP shafts and they of course launch the ball strait up! Lol

So this winter it will be either the DBM with DG or DG into the Wilsons.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I see what you are saying, Britt does say contact, I took that to mean feel, but what you are saying makes perfect sense.

I was considering ordering the DBM line a couple years ago, but was scared off by all the high launch talk as I have a very upright swing. So I bought a set of M3 Staff irons with the Gold XP shafts and they of course launch the ball strait up! Lol

So this winter it will be either the DBM with DG or DG into the Wilsons.

I would order one or two clubs for testing and consider it an investment into detailed club analysis. You know the exact sweet-spot height of the DBM, so it will allow you to try different things with it and see how it reacts

Could be, the Wilson’s started loft is one degree weaker and if Britt is correct the VCOG really doesn’t play much of a role in launch angle then I think the DGx100 shafts will lower the launch over the XP S300.

I think I will try a DG shaft in the 9 iron

I noticed Diamond Tour has DG Pro sets for a very good price. Any of you tried those shafts?

In my old Ram FX Laser forged irons I replaced the 4-5 shafts with Dynalite to good effect, the Pros sounds like a similar concept.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

• 3 weeks later...

I'm building a set of the PTM Blacks with the Nippon 950 GH shafts for a customer. I had him hit everything and we kept coming back to that combo. His comments were that it almost was feeling like he was missing the ball yet its right down the middle.

Its funny how some don't seem to like this head at all and others absolutely love it.

• 3 months later...

Well, I got a set of the ptms blacks. Got them with the maltby mpf proseries shafts in stiff flex. Taking a shot in the dark here as the price was too good to pass up. Hopefully, the shafts won't be too stiff (ss id low 80s with a 7 iron). First time ever having graphite shafts in irons but I'm not gettin' any younger.

I love the looks of this set and hopefully these clubs agree with my swing. I've also have a set of TEs which I hit well.

Should be here at end of week but I'll be hitting them indoors for quite awhile here in the lovely midwest weather.

Should probably stay away from golf forums as my wallet keeps getting lighter.

Now I gotta sell my mizuno ez forged set. Got to be cured of this club ho affliction.

15 hcp

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd resurrect this thread as I have about 10 rounds in with the ptms/mpf series graphite shafts. First of all, took some time to dial these in. First time using graphite shafts in irons. Got them in stiff flex and have to say, they play soft to flex. I always used mid weight steel in regular flex. These pro series shafts come in at 85 grams so I'm thinking maybe I'm gaining a little more swing speed. I have a somewhat aggressive pass at the ball. So far, I'm liking these shafts as the dispersion is good.

Regarding the ptm heads, when flushed, they feel fantastic. I am more of a sweeper than a digger. My usual miss with irons is hitting it thin. The ptm heads let you know it when hit thin - very harsh! The TE heads are much more forgiving when hit thin. Nevertheless, I plan on sticking with the ptms and hopefully will correct hitting too many thins. Find them forgiving and again (when flushed) produce a strong mid flight with slight draw.

Note I'm a 14 capper and my iron play is usually very good / not very good in the same round. In other words, I can look like low single digit capper on one swing and a 25 capper on the next.

15 hcp

• 1 month later...