Games November 2022 - In Closing...

games

• games changed the title to Games - Oct 2021 - Going to Hal's Place - Monte, Chase, and Schnee!

Jealous that you get to go. I may sub out the Chicago clinic to go to Houston next year if they do it again. 

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

On 10/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, Precis1on said:

Jealous that you get to go. I may sub out the Chicago clinic to go to Houston next year if they do it again. 

Loved meeting and working with you at the Chicago clinics.  Saw you got your own sim room started for some winter training.  Fantastic!  Mark said your game is solid, too!

This trip is getting real!  For me, this is a bucket list item.  I'm not into bucket list courses, and play basic equipment.  Instruction with Monte is worth splurging on.  Add WRX regulars like Chris and Chase to the mix, it's just plain exciting.  I'm in my mid 50s and I feel like it's 11pm on Christmas Eve!

For those just getting here:  I am a hack who should be better.  I have excellent hand-eye coordination (former competitive bowler) and really good natural flexibility.  Never had decent golf instruction until I met Monte.  My driver speed is low 90s, and my 6-iron is around 82 now. What I call "NTC 2020" changed my view of the swing and it's time to reset.  My swing models are @Schnee, Brian Smock, and Darren Clarke.   As Monte says time to "Hulk Smash."

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, games said:

Loved meeting and working with you at the Chicago clinics.  Saw you got your own sim room started for some winter training.  Fantastic!  Mark said your game is solid, too!

This is the first winter in a long time that I’m committing to working in the off-season. Will probably get a virtual with Monte to understand the data my Quad is giving me. 

• Like 2

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

3 hours ago, games said:

This trip is getting real!  For me, this is a bucket list item.  I'm not into bucket list courses, and play basic equipment.  Instruction with Monte is worth splurging on.  Add WRX regulars like Chris and Chase to the mix, it's just plain exciting.  I'm in my mid 50s and I feel like it's 11pm on Christmas Eve!

For those just getting here:  I am a hack who should be better.  I have excellent hand-eye coordination (former competitive bowler) and really good natural flexibility.  Never had decent golf instruction until I met Monte.  My driver speed is low 90s, and my 6-iron is around 82 now. What I call "NTC 2020" changed my view of the swing and it's time to reset.  My swing models are @Schnee, Brian Smock, and Darren Clarke.   As Monte says time to "Hulk Smash."

Looking forward to having you down here in Houston. The weather is supposed to be awesome this weekend, should be a great time. 

• Like 3

What a great first day!  My personal highlight was @lv_2_hack telling me in my swing analysis in front of the full group that my problem was LOFT.

Chase was quick, but not too quick, to add he didn’t mean the acronym.  Lol.  Seriously he meant I am delofting the club with bowed wrist at the top.  Wants me to feel a cupped position at the top and just finish in a vertical stack as I tend to reverse C.  Monte added I need to retain more side bend longer into the swing.  

Hal Sutton gave a sermon on learning how to play golf today.  Probably 90 minutes, and all were riveted.  A true, sincere, gentleman who just “dug it out of the dirt”.  He didnt call out Bryson by name, but said future tour success will be had by those who can blend art and science.

Edited by games
  • Like 3

On 10/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, games said:

What a great first day!  My personal highlight was @lv_2_hack telling me in my swing analysis in front of the full group that my problem was LOFT.

Chase was quick, but not too quick, to add he didn’t mean the acronym.  Lol.  Seriously he meant I am delofting the club with bowed wrist at the top.  Wants me to feel a cupped position at the top and just finish in a vertical stack as I tend to reverse C.  Monte added I need to retain more side bend longer into the swing.  

Hal Sutton gave a sermon on learning how to play golf today.  Probably 90 minutes, and all were riveted.  A true, sincere, gentleman who just “dug it out of the dirt”.  He didnt call out Bryson by name, but said future tour success will be had by those who can blend art and science.

Share some before and afters interested to see results. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

During this outing, there was a moment of "Somewhere Des Moines is missing an idiot." 

On Day 3, we're working on our flaws, and I'm in a bay, and @MonteScheinblum walks up and says "Show me what you're working on.  Hit a 50-yard shot."  My brain gets busy going through my 102-point checklist (normally 100 points, with two fixes recently added).  I step up, execute both things I was working on (which of course in my mind were done perfectly).  I look at Monte like a dog waiting for a pat on the head, and he goes "Now try to hit it 50 yards."  (I DGAF what Monte thought.  I was pleased with my 150-yard effort.  LOL)  Step up again, go through my mental checklist and swing again.  Look back at Monte who at this point is ready to throttle me because I again forgot to slow down (it wasn't in my checklist) and hit that one 140 yards.  To prevent injury to myself, I quick hit a third one slow, dribbled it out 35 yards and Monte says "that's better, keep working at that speed" and then walks away muttering something unintelligible...  

• Haha 3

LOL

I would protest the description of my actions, but I can’t.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

My major problems are thin shots, pulls, and lack of distance.  The diagnosis:  Lead wrist is too bowed.  Evidence:  Uneekor captured me hitting shots as much as 10 degrees toe down.  Tape shows an awkward release, elbows separate.

Basically, I am tasked with two things:

1. At the top, feel my lead wrist is cupped (not bowed);

2. Engage the trail hand earlier in the downswing to feel like it's overtaking the left hand earlier.  Monte gave me a Broom Force drill to work with.

My interpretation:  No Turn Cast has me coming more from the inside, but my trail arm isn't activating Cast B.  (I'm lefty playing golf right-handed and my RH is really weak.)  I think Broom Force is going to help in this regard.  Good offseason / winter work.

41 minutes ago, games said:

I'd like to think he wasn't muttering at me, but pretty sure I deserved it if he was.  LOL!

I was probably in trouble with the ex-wife.

• Haha 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, games said:

Apparently, dissenting opinion on new PLMs is frowned upon in this establishment, so after a two week exile, I have returned.  Just in time to let everyone know I'm heading to Houston for the @MonteScheinblum clinic with Hal Sutton, Chase Cooper @lv_2_hack, and Chris @Schnee!!!

I'm looking at this as a bit of a system reset.  Monte's No Turn Cast model has helped my brain understand a proper downswing.  Now, I want to ingrain a physical swing to go with it.  I'm open to changing anything and everything.  Clinic is in a week.  I am so jacked!  

LOL, seemed like someone was pretty busy around that time - another member of the same club here and not alone, haha, a variety of things not violating forum rules were getting some good folks around here some time off.  Sorry to hear it, but moving on . . .

More excited to read about this!  I was so close to pulling the trigger, but just too late in the season for me and a conflict with some things needing attention at work - now I wish I'd gone.  My other reservation was what I expected to be the mostly indoors aspect of it, which really held me back with my elbow issue, still should have gone! We'll just have to get out in 2022 - looking forward to hearing all about it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL, seemed like someone was pretty busy around that time - another member of the same club here and not alone, haha, a variety of things not violating forum rules were getting some good folks around here some time off.  Sorry to hear it, but moving on . . .

More excited to read about this!  I was so close to pulling the trigger, but just too late in the season for me and a conflict with some things needing attention at work - now I wish I'd gone.  My other reservation was what I expected to be the mostly indoors aspect of it, which really held me back with my elbow issue, still should have gone! We'll just have to get out in 2022 - looking forward to hearing all about it!

And, all this time, without you replying, I figured I had done something to honk you off!

It was truly a neat experience with Chase and Monte giving different ways to achieve the same end result. 

For me, getting to play a round with @Schnee got me to see how a bigger guy can flat out move the ball.  Chase had me cup my trail wrist to help shallow and deliver the club.  A weird feeling.  Then, about two weeks ago, Chase released an IG video about low-speed amateurs who bow the lead wrist to their detriment.  I definitely resembled that remark...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• games changed the title to Games - Feb 2022 - What I Get for Listening to Monte and Chase

Just returned from playing and practicing in PHX.  Not the best video, but this is my driver swing, now.  A couple of months working on Chase's feel of an extended or cupped (not bowed / flexed) left wrist at the top.  And, working on Monte's sledgehammer drill from Broom Force.  For me, I'm thrilled with the exit position of the driver which is lower than usual, due to greatly reduced amount of goat violation. which had me in an awkward chicken wing look, which is still there but reduced due to the lower exit.  Starting to look like a golf swing...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chainlinks said:

3 great guys, enjoy the clinic and tell Schnee to ease up on the hamburgers 

I'm in no position to tell a scratch or a plus what to do. Nor in a position to advise anyone on diet.

Chris moves the ball out of his own hard work and talent. 

I was a competitive bowler who learned from watching a guy that was easily 50+ pounds overweight.  He has more USBC Eagles than I do. 

I learned from that great bowler to be inquistive and not judgmental,  30 years before Ted Lasso came on the air.  So if your post is a shot at Chris, I'd respectfully ask you to delete it out of respect for this thread.  Chris has game and I have no clue who you are.

Edited by games

Sorry for the bad videos everyone.  Also, I apologize for having to take trash out on this thread.  But I have some AWESOME news on my swing.  I like taking a local lesson now and then.  Not real picky.  Usually once a year.   After coming back from PHX I wanted someone to watch, record, and comment on what I'm working on.

Well, today, I carried an 8-iron 167 yards. 

Legit sim setup.   Blew my mind.  I've been watching too many "The Big Short" videos.  BUT I AM JACKED TO THE t****!  (And for those in the "lay off the burgers crowd":  GFY.)

I need to be shallow with all clubs.   As in, feel like the club is wrapping behind my waist on the backswing shallow. 

Gap wedge, 8 iron, 6 iron, 4 iron, driver. 

As the Rock says IT DOESN'T MATTER what club it is.  

The pro (Jacob) I worked with loves swing theory and follows several instructors via YouTube.

He laughed after watching me hit steep 8 irons for 25 minutes, then saw my driver and said "Why the f--- don't you swing your f---ing 8-iron that way?"  So I will.

Apparently, I attract instructors that don't mince words...  He also said I need to bend my irons back to standard, pronto.  It might be time for a fitting anyway...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

35 years ago, I had to teach myself to throw a bowling ball 5 mph faster. A full summer of daily practice did it.  The battle wasn’t as much a physical limitation.  It was convincing my mind to allow me to throw faster.  

Last week, I started the Stack program, doing baseline and the first foundation workout.  After the workout, I picked up my driver and was able to get three dry swings over 100 mph, with 104 being highest.  My normal swing with ball is 93.  That afternoon, took my irons to get bent back to normal and checked out some new drivers.  The LM clocked one of my swings at 98 with a nice draw! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leekgolf said:

@gamesThanks for posting this thread and staying with it. It's inspirational. 

I'm jealous you can afford all of these trips and concentrated instruction.

Keep it up and please keep sharing!

Appreciate your kind words.  I am blessed.  I spread out the good instruction to pretty much once a year.  October with Monte, Chris, Chase and Hal was close to a bucket list item for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Many of you know I'm "all in" on golf instruction and fitting experiences.  I got to take a great trip to visit @MonteScheinblum, @lv_2_hack, @Schnee and the great Hal Sutton.  I've done many different fittings over the years, including a couple at Club Champion.  About 5-6 years ago, I did a RoboGolfPro session which was really neat, and will do it again being more conscious about "the feel" the robot is creating.

But, far and away, the fitting experience I had yesterday blew me away AND NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT ON GOLFWRX.  So, I'll be the first.  Have to leave for the day, but will report back with details.

• Like 2

• games changed the title to Games March 2022 - Best Fitting NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking back, Jeremy, Chase and Monte all threw out Alex Noren pre-shot rehearsal as a model.  In geek speak, it’s just P6 club position with P7 body turn. Saturday indoor session, I practiced just that. No NTC or other things.  Just wedges and irons to feel it. Hmm… Let’s hit driver with this….

FEEL is I hit the ball with lower body. Passive arms and hands felt a block right of Limbaugh.   Little off the heel… 90 mph tops.  

Sim I was on showed sweet little push draw.  Then I look at Mevo+ club speed. WTF?

98.9 mph

I’m 93-94 warmed up.

• Like 2

• games changed the title to Games November 2022 - In Closing...