Morning Drive...What Happened?

DRRicks

Let's see . . . . the first time someone complained with a thread about Morning Drive was . . . the first time it aired, lol.

Still bad, but our snow is still white (well, except for where the puppy visits). He senses when he is being talked about!

What a beautiful Setter. I'd watch him instead of Morning Drive any day.

Thanks!

And "bad" is an overstatement on my part. I don't watch enough anymore to judge and never liked EK so we got off to a bad start, MD and I.

I've caught RDD and have enjoyed his insights on there and on here, so not really pleased we have some ignorant taunting and provoking going on from a couple folks - not cool.

Folks on MD are likeable and seem genuine and it can't be all things to all people. It knows what it is, but it's so blue and so bright, lol, and it's early in the morning!

I think Jerry Foltz and RDD in a radio show/talk format would be really interesting, would like to see GC get back to some on grass range segments, but I'm not a successful TV producer.

We all are critics but kind of lucky golf has a show on at all like that in the morning.

And yes, you can always change the channel.

Since my aim was to please you, count me in as super-disappointed. Pious much?

Norm Crosby?

There have been 12 Popes who went by "Pius" - but if "Pious much" is your way of conceptualizing . . . . .

At least they’re not showing 3-4 hours of Jim McLean’s X-Factor videos every single morning, which they did back in the “good old days.”

At its absolute worst MD is a giant step up from that.

The main issue, imho, is just that we have MD glut. Too much air time and not enough compelling topics. Sometimes it’s really entertaining. Sometimes it’s Dr what’s his name or some random nutritionist telling me to drink more water and eat less sugar....just like every other health segment on every other morning show, golf or otherwise, on every other network for the last 50 years.

Cut the show to 90 or even 60 minutes Wednesday through Monday and there wouldn’t be so much fluff

Let's see . . . . the first time someone complained with a thread about Morning Drive was . . . the first time it aired, lol.

Still bad, but our snow is still white (well, except for where the puppy visits). He senses when he is being talked about!

What a beautiful Setter. I'd watch him instead of Morning Drive any day.

Thanks!

And "bad" is an overstatement on my part. I don't watch enough anymore to judge and never liked EK so we got off to a bad start, MD and I.

I've caught RDD and have enjoyed his insights on there and on here, so not really pleased we have some ignorant taunting and provoking going on from a couple folks - not cool.

Folks on MD are likeable and seem genuine and it can't be all things to all people. It knows what it is, but it's so blue and so bright, lol, and it's early in the morning!

I think Jerry Foltz and RDD in a radio show/talk format would be really interesting, would like to see GC get back to some on grass range segments, but I'm not a successful TV producer.

We all are critics but kind of lucky golf has a show on at all like that in the morning.

And yes, you can always change the channel.

Norm Crosby?

There have been 12 Popes who went by "Pius" - but if "Pious much" is your way of conceptualizing . . . . .

I hate to interrupt you while your listening to your phonograph, but...one is a person and one is an adjective. Your Norm Crosby reference was unintentionally hilarious.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/pious

At least be correct when using an obscure1920’s reference.

So I was reading this thread while an old episode of Top Gear was airing on the TV. One of the original episodes of Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson and the boys.

Made me think about the women of MD and what they would be if they were supercars.

Holly and Lauren are domestic models; Cara is a British import.

• Holly is clearly a Ford Mustang Shelby gt500; lots of horsepower and great stamina. highlighted by a few obvious after-market accessories to enhance performance and appearance. Well driven; Many, many happy miles on the odometer now.

• Lauren is a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray; a classic model with a ruby red exterior and a well tailored leather interior dyed beige; probably a 2008 model; still shiny and fabulous and a head-turner but, boy, you should have seen her ten years ago!! Lightly driven, not too many miles on the odometer.

• Cara would be an Aston Martin db11; elegant, refined and expensive; handles great in the corners; lots of driving pleasure. Practically brand new; still has the new car smell; very few miles on the odometer.

So, what do you think of the fleet of MD compact cars; if Chantal, Paige and Bailey were recreated as automobiles, what models would they be??

Clearly domestic, Made-in-America products ??

It seems as if the entire content on the Golf channel is suffering. Quite a bit of repeat showings of lame golf movies.

Exactly.

I'd love to see someone with vision and passion revamp Golf Channel.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Their speed golf attempt on the simulator this morning was hilariously bad.

It was supposed to be...

I do not really get to watch the show anymore since I am working when it is on now. I do watch some on the weekends. Now that Charlie Rymer is playing some Champion's tour events is he still going to be a regular on the show or concentrate on his tour efforts? I like ole Charlie he is from my neck of the woods so to speak but younger than I am. I have never met him but he seems to be a good old country boy red neck like I am

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

It seems as if the entire content on the Golf channel is suffering. Quite a bit of repeat showings of lame golf movies.

Exactly.

They are dropping their production costs to look healthier on paper when the PGA Tour buys the station

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

i used to watch it all the time, now i just watch news (i said news, not fox) or my kids watch cartoons in the morning. i agree it was better when it was just basically radio banter between EK, GW, and HS.

i watched the first show from the new studio, and i remember being a bit sad for Arnie because from the beginning i thought "this isn't going to work and won't last." i really do blame the producers and writers because as soon as they changed the format i hated it, even though the on-air people were the same.

as with most anything else, what was once a cool niche little thing, gets gobbled up by a big corporate conglomerate and completely ruined. i bet if you gave the on-air people more freedom to set the direction of the show it would be better.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Exactly.

They are dropping their production costs to look healthier on paper when the PGA Tour buys the station

does that really make sense? Golf Channel airs far more than just tour sanctioned events, and the tour has such a giant tree limb shoved up their a** i wonder if they'd be willing to air euro tour stuff.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I agree it's an afterthought for me now. I enjoy Lauren and Gary most times. Damon seems like a good guy but annoying to watch day in and day out. Cara and charlie, I'm indifferent, some days Charlie is to slapstick. Paige seems knowledgeable but stumbles, a lot.

I love the idea of Genella's segments but it's is constant name-dropping and the most expensive in the area.

The other two annoyances are the overkill of Tiger Woods, which is to be expected and the doctor coming on and treating golf like you're about to storm Normandy.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

i used to watch it all the time, now i just watch news (i said news, not fox) or my kids watch cartoons in the morning. i agree it was better when it was just basically radio banter between EK, GW, and HS.

i watched the first show from the new studio, and i remember being a bit sad for Arnie because from the beginning i thought "this isn't going to work and won't last." i really do blame the producers and writers because as soon as they changed the format i hated it, even though the on-air people were the same.

as with most anything else, what was once a cool niche little thing, gets gobbled up by a big corporate conglomerate and completely ruined. i bet if you gave the on-air people more freedom to set the direction of the show it would be better.

EK was a disaster. In fairness to him, he was put into a bad place from the get-go; the people who hired him forgot to tell him that he would be hosting a show about golf on a channel devoted to golf. Poor guy clearly knew nothing about golf.

Paige I like. She has credibility as a golfer. Same with Charlie and even Gary.

Matt Ginella, in my opinion is like a waiter with an empty tray. He brings nothing to the table. I'd rather see Lauren or Kara do the travel segment.

Damon Hack will marvel at an instructional tip such as turning the left hand a bit more to the right as though he has just witnessed a breakthrough in cold fusion.

Lauren and Kara are fine in small doses. They don't have the playing credibility that Holly does, which is a big reason I wish they had her back. And yes, another reason is I think she's pretty great looking. Great looking girls who have a good sense of humor and are good golfers are few and far between.

Robert Damron is ok. He has playing cred and he reminds me of Michael J. Fox looking in the mirror when he first starts morphing into Teen Wolf.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

Exactly.

does that really make sense? Golf Channel airs far more than just tour sanctioned events, and the tour has such a giant tree limb shoved up their a** i wonder if they'd be willing to air euro tour stuff.

If it makes money, I’m sure they wouldn’t care. What better programming do you want at 4 AM than live golf with a few European stars?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

well, they can't just do whatever they want...they have to get an agreement with the other tours. i wouldn't say that's guaranteed either, the Euro Tour could view being broadcast on the PGA Tour channel as devaluing their brand and offer to be played live on something like NBCSN, FS1, etc for less than they would be willing to broadcast themselves over PGATN.

at least if i was running the Euro Tour marketing side i'd have to give serious thought to it.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Norm Crosby?

I hate to interrupt you while your listening to your phonograph, but...one is a person and one is an adjective. Your Norm Crosby reference was unintentionally hilarious.

https://www.vocabula...ictionary/pious

At least be correct when using an obscure1920's reference.

No it was intentional, it all just went completely over your head, lol, as I'm sure this will. Next time, crayons and coloring books to illustrate the wise cracks. ;-)

What are you talking about, it's worked and lasted and been more of a success than anyone would have reasonably imagined, and Palmer was happy with making a go of it, nothing to be "sad" about.

At least get the history and the context correct.

i mean MD itself, not the golf channel as a whole. they named it the AP Studio after him, had him cut the ribbon, etc. i found it sad to put his name on something that I, and others, view as being worse than the old version.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

well, they can't just do whatever they want...they have to get an agreement with the other tours. i wouldn't say that's guaranteed either, the Euro Tour could view being broadcast on the PGA Tour channel as devaluing their brand and offer to be played live on something like NBCSN, FS1, etc for less than they would be willing to broadcast themselves over PGATN.

at least if i was running the Euro Tour marketing side i'd have to give serious thought to it.

That's a good point. But if you want a golf audience, might be good to be on a golf station.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

what, like the station that broadcasts the US Open? or maybe the one that carries the PGA Championship? : shrug :

Majors are different. People will find that station. Everyday golf is a little different.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Norm Crosby?

No it was intentional, it all just went completely over your head, lol, as I'm sure this will. Next time, crayons and coloring books to illustrate the wise cracks. ;-)

Skip the crayons and either make sense, be correct, OR be funny ;-)

Exactly.

I think NBC is HOPING the Tour buys TGC rather than deciding to build. I think it is a foregone conclusion that the PGA TOUR will have it's own viewing outlet. TGC going the way of "The Speed Channel" for sure imo. TV camera's are expensive though.I wonder how NFL Network is doing financially>?

i mean MD itself, not the golf channel as a whole. they named it the AP Studio after him, had him cut the ribbon, etc. i found it sad to put his name on something that I, and others, view as being worse than the old version.

It's the entire studio, not the bathroom.

Nice tribute. Not like it's "Arnold Palmer's Morning Drive". Oh well.

Exactly.

I think NBC is HOPING the Tour buys TGC rather than deciding to build. I think it is a foregone conclusion that the PGA TOUR will have it's own viewing outlet. TGC going the way of "The Speed Channel" for sure imo. TV camera's are expensive though.I wonder how NFL Network is doing financially>?

The Cubs Channel and the PGA Tour Channel coming to my credit card statement in the near future.

Norm Crosby?

Skip the crayons and either make sense, be correct, OR be funny ;-)

Let's see if we had a lot of Popes named Pius, and Norm Crosby couldn't keep track but knew there were a lot, he might say, you know because his idea of particular words and expressions aren't the same as normal folks . . . . .

You have obviously never been to Arizona - no sense of Yuma.

Morning Drive has always been only semi-bearable but I agree lately it has fallen down a few pegs. Damon Hack contributes absolutely nothing. Cara and Gary are good and Paige is okay. They should let the Fore Play guys do a show on Golf Channel in the morning and guaranteed more people would tune in. At the very least it would be more interesting to watch.

It's the entire studio, not the bathroom.

Nice tribute. Not like it's "Arnold Palmer's Morning Drive". Oh well.

well, fair point. i still saw the new studio, production, and overall direction of the network as inauthentic, tacky, and typical overdone corporate "gold plating," more catered to the average viewer rather than the golf enthusiast.

you don't have to agree, that's just how i viewed the change after the NBC/Comcast takeover.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Morning Drive has always been only semi-bearable but I agree lately it has fallen down a few pegs. Damon Hack contributes absolutely nothing. Cara and Gary are good and Paige is okay. They should let the Fore Play guys do a show on Golf Channel in the morning and guaranteed more people would tune in. At the very least it would be more interesting to watch.

More interesting, but will never happen on the Golf Channel. They are more conservative than ESPN and even they couldn’t run with a Barstool show for more than one episode.

The No Laying Up guys are more creative and better at their podcasts.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna