Morning Drive...What Happened?

DRRicks

I love golf but I cannot watch this show; Charlie and Damon are honestly so horrible I can't imagine the decision-maker at NBC watches that show and doesn't want to get rid of them. It's unwatchable.

This sums it up for me as well ^^^^^

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

I love golf but I cannot watch this show; Charlie and Damon are honestly so horrible I can't imagine the decision-maker at NBC watches that show and doesn't want to get rid of them. It's unwatchable.

This sums it up for me as well ^^^^^

I agree. I love golf but this show doesn't interest me in the least. What is the host's background? GW? Am I missing something? I find that guy annoying.

You guys remember how good this show was in the early early days? Before they switched studios? Just two guys talking golf going down the list of the days hottest topics? Miss that.

Erik Kuselias was absolutely horrible. Knew next to nothing about golf, but acted like he did which made it worse. He was insufferable. Gary is a lot better now than he was then. It was two guys talking into a prop/nonworking microphone. The only time it was good was when Jerry Foltz would sub in, he was good at that format. Too bad they didn't find the right guys to start with. Totally different show now, but had to evolve.

Of course, then there was the whole Mrs. Huxtable's ex-husband thing, lol.

I'll miss Charlie. The puppy wants his Hallmark Christmas movies now first thing in the morning, so haven't been watching, but will after the first of the year with Kapalua. RDD was doing great last I watched, Paige is good, too.

I like the show and how the format has evolved. I'm not sure why people are so quick to bash it.

At times I find all the hosts/presenters/contributors engaging and very knowledgeable. In addition they seem like good people so when something may require criticism I don't hear an agenda but an honest appraisal eg. Robert Damron earlier this year on Phil's antics @ Shinnecock & Greenbrier particularly the insight on the perception in the PGA Tour locker room.

They also have excellent contributors such as Ron Sirak, Geoff Shackelford, Jaime Diaz etc.

Tim Rosaforte must be a good sport, I felt uncomfortable/self-conscious for him on the Halloween show. I'm sure he was completely cool with it.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I like the show and how the format has evolved. I'm not sure why people are so quick to bash it.

Me either, I actually liked most of what Charlie brought to the table. The idea of two guys sitting around talking about golf sounds boring as heck to me - and I imagine to 99% of their other viewers as well. WRX members may not like it but thankfully they dont program with us in mind.

It was honestly a pretty big surprise to me that he was leaving and I watch MD a lot.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

The idea of two guys sitting around talking about golf sounds boring as heck to me - and I imagine to 99% of their other viewers as well. WRX members may not like it but thankfully they dont program with us in mind.

Whatever you do, don’t listen to the Golf WRX podcasts

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Charlie Rymer became a PGA Member last year, I wonder if he is taking a role in the Carolinas section or at a golf management company in Myrtle Beach? Seems like he had a reason to pursue membership, he had tweeted about finishing the course work. I don’t think he’s going to be behind the counter ringing in players or washing carts, but there are lots of roles he could do for the section or a high profile management group.

Charlie Rymer became a PGA Member last year, I wonder if he is taking a role in the Carolinas section or at a golf management company in Myrtle Beach? Seems like he had a reason to pursue membership, he had tweeted about finishing the course work. I don't think he's going to be behind the counter ringing in players or washing carts, but there are lots of roles he could do for the section or a high profile management group.

You might see him behind a counter wearing a badge that says Charlie, Fort Mill, SC.

Charlie Rymer became a PGA Member last year, I wonder if he is taking a role in the Carolinas section or at a golf management company in Myrtle Beach? Seems like he had a reason to pursue membership, he had tweeted about finishing the course work. I don't think he's going to be behind the counter ringing in players or washing carts, but there are lots of roles he could do for the section or a high profile management group.

You might see him behind a counter wearing a badge that says Charlie, Fort Mill, SC.

Here is your range token, we are running right on time now for your group’s 9:42. The starter will call you 10 minutes ahead, please be ready. Carts are 90 degrees today, the grill opens at 10:30 but drinks and snacks are available from the halfway house for now. Thank you for joining us today, hit ‘em straight.

Repeat every 10 minutes for 11 hours, 6 days a week. Still has to be better than spending any time at all with Damon Hack.

Any money is "found" money for Charlie Rymer, as his playing career certainly earn him enough to retire on.

You might want to check and see what Rymer actually earned on tour.

Charlie earned about $387,000 on the PGA Tour. Not retiring on that.

Minus caddie salary/winnings, agent commission, taxes, travel expenses.

You guys remember how good this show was in the early early days? Before they switched studios? Just two guys talking golf going down the list of the days hottest topics? Miss that.

Erik Kuselias was absolutely horrible. Knew next to nothing about golf, but acted like he did which made it worse. He was insufferable. Gary is a lot better now than he was then. It was two guys talking into a prop/nonworking microphone. The only time it was good was when Jerry Foltz would sub in, he was good at that format. Too bad they didn't find the right guys to start with. Totally different show now, but had to evolve.

I'll miss Charlie. The puppy wants his Hallmark Christmas movies now first thing in the morning, so haven't been watching, but will after the first of the year with Kapalua. RDD was doing great last I watched, Paige is good, too.

+1,000,000,000 on the Kuselias comment. First, he didn't play golf so the natural passion for the game that we all share wasn't there. Second, he was happy to have a job after getting booted by the Mothership for his fling with Stephania Bell.

And I thought I recall seeing that Ms. Sonders very quietly dumped him last year.

I do not watch a ton of morning drive, but on the occasional watch I feel they change too much too fast. It's almost a different show every 4 months or so.

Also, I feel they try to do too much or be too much, like, be funny but not too funny, also be diverse, but not too diverse, also bring perspective, but don't have crazy insight. Some of the hosts I'd rather not watch, I know they try hard, but it doesn't work or they get bad show notes. Been said before, but Tim Rosaforte with the "inside scoop"; "I tweeted Ricky about what socks he's wearing today". Matt Ginella giving a 400 word description of the sun at Torrey.

I listen to a lot of golf podcasts (ForePlay, No Laying Up, Shack House), and though those are a little, I'll say dumber, they address the hardcore golfer more. NLU just did a 2-part Brandel interview that was great, and FP always has a back and forth about stuff you would debate with your buddies, like if Bryson crazy or not.

I do not watch a ton of morning drive, but on the occasional watch I feel they change too much too fast. It's almost a different show every 4 months or so.

Also, I feel they try to do too much or be too much, like, be funny but not too funny, also be diverse, but not too diverse, also bring perspective, but don't have crazy insight. Some of the hosts I'd rather not watch, I know they try hard, but it doesn't work or they get bad show notes. Been said before, but Tim Rosaforte with the "inside scoop"; "I tweeted Ricky about what socks he's wearing today". Matt Ginella giving a 400 word description of the sun at Torrey.

I listen to a lot of golf podcasts (ForePlay, No Laying Up, Shack House), and though those are a little, I'll say dumber, they address the hardcore golfer more. NLU just did a 2-part Brandel interview that was great, and FP always has a back and forth about stuff you would debate with your buddies, like if Bryson crazy or not.

I'm not always the biggest NLU fan. But when they get it right, they really get it right. That Brandel piece was outstanding. It opened up a side of Brandel nobody has ever seen before and explains a lot of why he does what he does and is s polarizing in the process. I listened to it twice!

Morning Drive is fine for what it is. It's a daily show about golf that I watch while I'm having a cup of coffee and browsing the internet before I have to head off to work. Charlie was a bit corny at times, but other than Damon I rather like most of the people on the show. Paige trips over her words more than the others but I have a soft spot for her since we're fairly close in age and grew up in the same general area.

Charlie did say on his last show that the next time he would be on the Golf Channel is for the Drive, Chip and Putt at Augusta.

I'm not always the biggest NLU fan. But when they get it right, they really get it right. That Brandel piece was outstanding. It opened up a side of Brandel nobody has ever seen before and explains a lot of why he does what he does and is s polarizing in the process. I listened to it twice!

It's like a Papa, Mama, baby bear thing.

FP is definitely for the bros, NLU is kinda for the bros but they also do "serious" stuff, Shack House is more the definite golf stuff.

If you’re going to do a daily show about golf, it would be a great idea to use knowledgeable, insightful people. TGC doesn’t do that. They have Hack...who blows, Ginella....that is arrogant, Paige...that gives opinions with ZERO insight, and Cara...that nobody can understand.

Gary is pretty good, although the NBC switch essentially turned him into feminine version of his former self. Add in a bunch of golf writers and former players that are already the only true content providers of the show and that’s it. Cut out the canned confrontations and deliver news Thursday-Monday.

+1,000,000,000 on the Kuselias comment. First, he didn't play golf so the natural passion for the game that we all share wasn't there. Second, he was happy to have a job after getting booted by the Mothership for his fling with Stephania Bell.

And I thought I recall seeing that Ms. Sonders very quietly dumped him last year.

I always thought there were some brains that went along with Holly - glad they kicked in!

Unfortunately a show just about golf "real" news every day wouldn't be a very long program and wouldn't draw much for advertisers.

Looks like it's on hiatus until the New Year so hope the staff gets well-deserved time with their families, maybe some golf and comes into 2019 all recharged! With you know who healthy-ish it will be a busy year on the golf front - me and the puppy (he's already suffering Damron withdrawal) will be ready for early morning golf talk in a couple weeks.

Will be cheering for your Huskies tonight!

^^^

An issue with MD is that the hosts often speak like everyone watching is not familiar with golf. This was pervasive in other programming also, when Kelly T was in the booth Faldo for tour events she would often ask Nick inane questions. “What do you mean by ‘low draw’ Nick? Explain for our viewers at home”.

I realize there is a place to expose the sport to entry level viewers but MD isn’t the audience for that. They would benefit by hosting segments that seasoned golf fans will like. Non golfers aren’t channel surfing at 7:00am and deciding to tune into a golf morning show all of the sudden. Viewers are searching MD out, there is no reason for the content described above by DRRicks.

Article said he was still going to be doing things for GC in 2019, was it wrong?

Confirmed by Gary Williams - Rymer will be on GC in some capacity in 2019.

https://twitter.com/garywilliamsGC/status/1074352612672225281

Good to hear. Sucks if it was a contract dispute. Wonder if the ratings are down. Any word on a replacement?

Hmmm

Hope that hmmm is for a 'good' reason. Best wishes RDD. Have a very Merry Christmas. Look forward to seeing you on MD next year. ;)

Really enjoy your input, self-deprecating humor and honest perspectives.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

I always thought there were some brains that went along with Holly - glad they kicked in!

Unfortunately a show just about golf "real" news every day wouldn't be a very long program and wouldn't draw much for advertisers.

Looks like it's on hiatus until the New Year so hope the staff gets well-deserved time with their families, maybe some golf and comes into 2019 all recharged! With you know who healthy-ish it will be a busy year on the golf front - me and the puppy (he's already suffering Damron withdrawal) will be ready for early morning golf talk in a couple weeks.

Will be cheering for your Huskies tonight!

Thank you Sir. Only 1 of 3 bowls with 2 conference champs playing each other. Fingers crossed...but bowl history hasn't been good in the Rod Carey era.

Robert needs to he given a promotion. He speaks openly and with a promotion maybe they can get him a clothing contract so he doesn't have to wear his Bayhill and Isleworth shirts ;)

Seriously though, he needs to be on the team.

Ditto, really enjoy his thoughts and insight. He does a good job on PGA Tour Live as well.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Article said he was still going to be doing things for GC in 2019, was it wrong?

Confirmed by Gary Williams - Rymer will be on GC in some capacity in 2019.

https://twitter.com/garywilliamsGC/status/1074352612672225281

Good to hear. Sucks if it was a contract dispute. Wonder if the ratings are down. Any word on a replacement?

Hmmm

Hope that hmmm is for a 'good' reason. Best wishes RDD. Have a very Merry Christmas. Look forward to seeing you on MD next year. ;)

Really enjoy your input, self-deprecating humor and honest perspectives.

Thanks. You’ll be seeing me

Robert needs to he given a promotion. He speaks openly and with a promotion maybe they can get him a clothing contract so he doesn't have to wear his Bayhill and Isleworth shirts ;)

Seriously though, he needs to be on the team.

Ditto, really enjoy his thoughts and insight. He does a good job on PGA Tour Live as well.

I never resonated with Charlie. I like the contributors (Ron Sirak, Geoff Shackelford, Jaime Diaz, Tim Rosaforte, etc), but none of the studio hosts have ever had any natural screen presence. All the banter seems as 'forced-friendly' as The Weather Channel. I can't watch it for more than 5 minutes. The only GC studio show that I watch with any regularity is "Live From...", which has evolved into something of pretty high quality.