2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Morning Drive...What Happened?

DRRicks

I do not watch a ton of morning drive, but on the occasional watch I feel they change too much too fast. It's almost a different show every 4 months or so.

Also, I feel they try to do too much or be too much, like, be funny but not too funny, also be diverse, but not too diverse, also bring perspective, but don't have crazy insight. Some of the hosts I'd rather not watch, I know they try hard, but it doesn't work or they get bad show notes. Been said before, but Tim Rosaforte with the "inside scoop"; "I tweeted Ricky about what socks he's wearing today". Matt Ginella giving a 400 word description of the sun at Torrey.

I listen to a lot of golf podcasts (ForePlay, No Laying Up, Shack House), and though those are a little, I'll say dumber, they address the hardcore golfer more. NLU just did a 2-part Brandel interview that was great, and FP always has a back and forth about stuff you would debate with your buddies, like if Bryson crazy or not.

I'm not always the biggest NLU fan. But when they get it right, they really get it right. That Brandel piece was outstanding. It opened up a side of Brandel nobody has ever seen before and explains a lot of why he does what he does and is s polarizing in the process. I listened to it twice!

The NLU pods are good when it’s just Soly (I think he’s the founder) and the guest. When it’s all of the guys the pods are a mess and full of humor attempts and inside jokes. For example that Brandel interview was great. Soly is really good at steering the conversation.

I do not watch a ton of morning drive, but on the occasional watch I feel they change too much too fast. It's almost a different show every 4 months or so.

Also, I feel they try to do too much or be too much, like, be funny but not too funny, also be diverse, but not too diverse, also bring perspective, but don't have crazy insight. Some of the hosts I'd rather not watch, I know they try hard, but it doesn't work or they get bad show notes. Been said before, but Tim Rosaforte with the "inside scoop"; "I tweeted Ricky about what socks he's wearing today". Matt Ginella giving a 400 word description of the sun at Torrey.

I listen to a lot of golf podcasts (ForePlay, No Laying Up, Shack House), and though those are a little, I'll say dumber, they address the hardcore golfer more. NLU just did a 2-part Brandel interview that was great, and FP always has a back and forth about stuff you would debate with your buddies, like if Bryson crazy or not.

I'm not always the biggest NLU fan. But when they get it right, they really get it right. That Brandel piece was outstanding. It opened up a side of Brandel nobody has ever seen before and explains a lot of why he does what he does and is s polarizing in the process. I listened to it twice!

The NLU pods are good when it's just Soly (I think he's the founder) and the guest. When it's all of the guys the pods are a mess and full of humor attempts and inside jokes. For example that Brandel interview was great. Soly is really good at steering the conversation.

You are exactly right. When Neil had the chance to interview Phil before The Match, the first question he asked Phil was about the motorcycle/leather jacket he wore on his Feherty interview. Phil was not amused. Leave the interviewing to Soly.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The NLU pods are good when it's just Soly (I think he's the founder) and the guest. When it's all of the guys the pods are a mess and full of humor attempts and inside jokes. For example that Brandel interview was great. Soly is really good at steering the conversation.

You are exactly right. When Neil had the chance to interview Phil before The Match, the first question he asked Phil was about the motorcycle/leather jacket he wore on his Feherty interview. Phil was not amused. Leave the interviewing to Soly.

That was DJ Pie, but yeah that was ridiculous. You have the opportunity to interview an all time great and you start it off by pretty much making fun of him.

That was DJ Pie, but yeah that was ridiculous. You have the opportunity to interview an all time great and you start it off by saying “now for the most during question, was the leather jacket in Feherty a conscious decision or a performance art piece?” Phil checked out before the interview even began.

Oh yeah, DJ Pie. Oops. That was DJ’s time to shine one-on-one and he kinda crapped all over himself.

The Brandel interviews were really good. Soly is becoming one of the best interviewers around.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

DJ Pie ? Is he kin to Pew-die-pie ?

Podcasts. I’m just not a fan. I hate ear buds And rarely can you listen to something without forcing others to listen. Why can’t it be written articles? I love to read. Hate to listen.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Podcasts. I’m just not a fan. I hate ear buds And rarely can you listen to something without forcing others to listen. Why can’t it be written articles? I love to read. Hate to listen.

You can play podcasts off of your computer without headphones

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Yes. But that’s what I’m saying. Not unless you’re totally alone. Who’s ever totally alone these days ? I can read without disturbing the room. But you can’t lsiten to a podcast without disturbing others without ear buds.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Drive is good for what is it...background noise when you are having your breakfast. It is never going to satisfy the hardcore golfer, but at least it is better than rerunning "The Squeeze" for the millionth time, or having a simulcast of Fairways of Life with Matt Adams.

Yes, the show definitely needs a revamp with Damon Hack needing to go far far away (say on-course commentary for the LPGA Tour), and Matt Ginella being put in a box and sent to Bandon Dunes (For the hundredth time, yes we know you named your boy after it, no its not cute anymore). But in the end, its a niche show for a niche audience so there is very little you can really do with it.

More crossover with other NBC programming perhaps, such as getting the Golden Girl Blair O'neil on the Today show or something (although Paige Spiranic would most likely be the more popular choice).

Podcasts. I'm just not a fan. I hate ear buds And rarely can you listen to something without forcing others to listen. Why can't it be written articles? I love to read. Hate to listen.

Yes. But that's what I'm saying. Not unless you're totally alone. Who's ever totally alone these days ? I can read without disturbing the room. But you can't lsiten to a podcast without disturbing others without ear buds.

definitely shared this opinion until i got some air pods. I was hesitant but they check a lot of boxes. give em a shot

i agree with a lot said above about NLU. they are refreshing for sure and i definitely admire what they have built. but, Tron and some of the other guys are just shock value/humor only and add little to the podcasts and twitter. I don't need a golf podcast unexpected F bomb drop in the first 60 seconds with my kids in the car. just my opinion.

Morning Drive is good for what is it...background noise when you are having your breakfast. It is never going to satisfy the hardcore golfer, but at least it is better than rerunning "The Squeeze" for the millionth time, or having a simulcast of Fairways of Life with Matt Adams.

Yes, the show definitely needs a revamp with Damon Hack needing to go far far away (say on-course commentary for the LPGA Tour), and Matt Ginella being put in a box and sent to Bandon Dunes (For the hundredth time, yes we know you named your boy after it, no its not cute anymore). But in the end, its a niche show for a niche audience so there is very little you can really do with it.

More crossover with other NBC programming perhaps, such as getting the Golden Girl Blair O'neil on the Today show or something (although Paige Spiranic would most likely be the more popular choice).

I agree. They need a complete overhaul quickly. Its old school and stale AF.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Caught quite a bit this morning - it was fine. 4 folks going at it at the same time a little much for me, but maybe Matty G will be on assignments soon (not that I mind him, just seemed like more of an awkward dynamic with 4 in the discussion vs. 3, for example) and Gary is probably still on vacation or holiday break???????

Hallmark movie season is over, me and Linus will be tuning in for 45 minute to an hour every morning before work! Should be a great 2019.

I have found and still find the show difficult to watch at best. I stopped watching it early last year, but decided to give it another try, no go for me. As others have said, maybe good background noise in the AM and every once in awhile, stop and view for a minute. I think my problem with the show continues to be all the yelling for attention. The Hack, really needs to go for me since I am not amused by hacker trying to act golf smart. Thank goodness Charlie is gone, didn't care for him either. The girls losers. I like Robert Damron, knowledgeable and experienced.

Maybe an improvement would be to reduce the size of the cast? Suggest having two hosts speaking intelligently about the game, quality interviews, and when the tour moves east, live on the range. Two hosts may not have to yell all the time, and lease never have the game ball gimmick, how stupid. Just my OP.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

But it's still the best golf show that's on in the morning.

It's the ONLY golf show on in the morning... Not great when you are simultaneously in first and last place...

I can't watch it anymore either. About the only time I watch is on Monday mornings to see who won the event on Sunday. It is pretty sad that the people on this forum are probably the 99%ers in the golf world and most of us can't stand the Golf Channel. If we aren't watching, who is?

I heavily watch the 4 majors and the Ryder Cup, partially watch the Players, Tour Championship, the Memorial and the AP invitational. Everything else is just highlights.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Who is the self important turd taking 4 minutes to explain what COR is? I sat through college lectures that were more intriguing.

You’re one up on me the. G & F. If you knew how boring they were you must have at least been awake. I couldn’t even manage that for some of them!

Lol. Have a 2 year old and we’re watching my mother in laws dog for a week. Sleep is nonexistent at the moment.

Apparently the turd is Matt Adams, heard his name in a few articles about equipment, just didn’t recognize his face. He went in to say that those of us who grew up in cold climates loved the ToC event because it showed us kapalua while it was snowing. I wonder if anyone told him that the event wasn’t at Kapalua when he was growing up? Anyway, it’s fine for background noise but we’ve switched over to train videos on youtube for a while.

Who is the self important turd taking 4 minutes to explain what COR is? I sat through college lectures that were more intriguing.

You’re one up on me the. G & F. If you knew how boring they were you must have at least been awake. I couldn’t even manage that for some of them!

Lol. Have a 2 year old and we’re watching my mother in laws dog for a week. Sleep is nonexistent at the moment.

Apparently the turd is Matt Adams, heard his name in a few articles about equipment, just didn’t recognize his face. He went in to say that those of us who grew up in cold climates loved the ToC event because it showed us kapalua while it was snowing. I wonder if anyone told him that the event wasn’t at Kapalua when he was growing up? Anyway, it’s fine for background noise but we’ve switched over to train videos on youtube for a while.

That’s too funny. I find my TV viewing preempted quite often now when the year old grandson comes over. Daniel Tiger (seems ironic and yet appropriate for this board) seems to be the program of choice!

Every other promo is feherty acting stupid. His shtick wears on me. Love him on the actual tournament broadcasts. I think he's getting overexposed on the channel, tho...plus im usually watching mlb, lol...

I think he should dial back what he calls "humor"...

It's like robin Williams. Mork and mindy is unwatchable cuz he was always over the top. Mrs. Doubtfire is awesome cuz he's being a bit serious. Just my opinion, of course...

Every other promo is feherty acting stupid. His shtick wears on me. Love him on the actual tournament broadcasts. I think he's getting overexposed on the channel, tho...plus im usually watching mlb, lol...

It's like robin Williams. Mork and mindy is unwatchable cuz he was always over the top. Mrs. Doubtfire is awesome cuz he's being a bit serious. Just my opinion, of course...

He’s cut out the silly stuff these days. He just interviews now.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

There are some ads promoting his touring type shows, i.e., you could probably book him for something or attend something already scheduled - and the silly stuff is what people expect when they go to one of his events.