Morning Drive...What Happened?

DRRicks

At least theyre not showing 3-4 hours of Jim McLeans X-Factor videos every single morning, which they did back in the good old days.

At its absolute worst MD is a giant step up from that.

The main issue, imho, is just that we have MD glut. Too much air time and not enough compelling topics. Sometimes its really entertaining. Sometimes its Dr whats his name or some random nutritionist telling me to drink more water and eat less sugar....just like every other health segment on every other morning show, golf or otherwise, on every other network for the last 50 years.

Cut the show to 90 or even 60 minutes Wednesday through Monday and there wouldnt be so much fluff

This just in Drink more Sugar and Eat less Water.

I never realized that several years ago when I enjoyed watching Morning Drive (before Ginella, Hack, etc...) that I actually hated it. Thanks for clearing that up.

lol. Way to take that as a All time literal thing. Sure it’s changed since inception. I thought we were talking recently. That was what 2012 or so ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Does anyone else find this a poor headline?

To me,it appears that Haas is the fatality. Maybe it’s just me. Of course after looking closer, at the small type is says released. But you don’t notice that initially.

I did find it off putting. Made it sound just like you said.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Quick..tune to Golf Channel. Yet Another Movie is playing!

Tonight would have been a good time to air some playing lessons with the pros or Golf Channel Academies.

It’s a new idea! They’re seeing if they can get everyone to change the channel.

I’ve been in business since 2002. And the one thing I’m completely sure about is that the customer is frequently off in left field . As in wrong!

I’m sure you’ve been very successful in that long and storied career then...

Lol. Yes. Point is the wives tale that the customer is alwasy right is just that. False. Some folks are unhappy no matter what you do. Those folks are always going to be a negative. Negative attitude and negative impact on the bottom line.

Folks who hate morning drive now have always hated it. And those folks should change the channel. Not trying to be harsh. But the attitude being displayed against a pretty nice guy who happens to be on the inside of the subject at hand is pretty telling . You don’t seen to like morning drive and I’m guessing never have.

That’s not what you said...”the customer is frequently in left field...as in wrong”. That’s a far cry from a few customers that are hard to satisfy.

Your guess is wrong. Go back to the first post or the title of the topic. Regardless, RDD came on here to defend his show, it wasn’t out of some sort of gratitude to the site that he’s popping in...so quit the moral outrage that I disagree with him. He’s just a guy.

So now you need an exact ratio? Lol

It’s you that seems to have the rage. I think you just riled up a nice guy with a less than tactful complaint.

I’m just saying that Damron seems like a super nice guy. If you end up in an argument with a suPer nice guy , then the issue is probably you.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Their speed golf attempt on the simulator this morning was hilariously bad.

It was supposed to be...

Well, then we’ve found the problem. If the goal is to create “bad” TV, then you’re succeeding. Question answered!

This smarty remark plus the above about Arnold in his grave likely is ignition point. Palmer saw 100s of episodes of current cast members and obviously still loved the show.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It’s you that seems to have the rage. I think you just riled up a nice guy with a less than tactful complaint.

I’m just saying that Damron seems like a super nice guy. If you end up in an argument with a suPer nice guy , then the issue is probably you.

Holy crap. You must be sensitive. I would be far from calling what we’ve had “an argument”. Also, in regards to Arnold, he founded the network...who else would you use as an example? Finally, how would you possibly know what programming he enjoyed or didn’t?

Holy crap. You must be sensitive. I would be far from calling what we’ve had “an argument”. Also, in regards to Arnold, he founded the network...who else would you use as an example? Finally, how would you possibly know what programming he enjoyed or didn’t?

lol. Come on . Use the same measuring on your words. How do you know ?

And yes. I am sensitive. Words hurt ?

Sarcasm x100 above if meter is broken.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Read the first 3 pages then skipped to the end, so apologies if this has been brought up already...

My biggest disappointment with Morning Drive, living in AZ, is when they repeat the second hour twice. Today, they had a 5 am segment that I caught the very end of, then the second hour ran at 6, 7 and 8 (AZ time) At the end of the first hour, Charlie Rymer was talking about his experience at the Champions tournament last weekend, but I didn't catch much of it. The conversation did not happen during the second hour. Unfortunately, it seems that this is happening more and more. Why do they re-air hour 2 twice and not re-air the first hour?

RDD -- like your insights on the program. It seems that you have become more comfortable in front of the camera. I have become a fan.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Read the first 3 pages then skipped to the end, so apologies if this has been brought up already...

My biggest disappointment with Morning Drive, living in AZ, is when they repeat the second hour twice. Today, they had a 5 am segment that I caught the very end of, then the second hour ran at 6, 7 and 8 (AZ time) At the end of the first hour, Charlie Rymer was talking about his experience at the Champions tournament last weekend, but I didn't catch much of it. The conversation did not happen during the second hour. Unfortunately, it seems that this is happening more and more. Why do they re-air hour 2 twice and not re-air the first hour?

RDD -- like your insights on the program. It seems that you have become more comfortable in front of the camera. I have become a fan.

Thanks!

I think the show turned to garbage when they brought the tall female foreigner on. She is very hard to understand when she speaks. My wife doesn’t like her and the large female presence. Paige is Ok and the blonde is ok. The rest need to go. They also have too many men on. Damron and Immelman need to go for sure. Ryhmer is too corny. Gary Williams looks like he is on drugs. Have never been a fan of Matt Adams.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I'm confused, where did Breed go?

He is on Sirius/XM PGA Network and it is just awful. Guy goes a mile a minute. Very hard to listen too. It is like he is on a constant caffeine high.

Breed said leaving the Golf Channel was 100% his choice and he just wanted to not have to travel every week and be around his family more. Still has his school at Ferry Point, still gives lessons, and will be starting his own online golf school in conjunction with Golf Digest. His Sirius XM show is much better. Breed is able to speak his mind now and I really enjoy his show.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The "Today Show" production is not great for me. Honestly I think that format and style was built for the stay at home mom in mind, and just doesn't translate to your average golfer. Maybe I'm wrong.

I actually liked it better with just EK, Gary, and Holly. Whether or not you like her body choices, Holly's tv personality was better than any of the ladies they have now. EK was a huge DB, but it actually made Gary more likable for the contrast haha.

Now they've got a bunch of mildly annoying people. There's nobody to really "hate" but there's nobody good either. Nobody you can focus on and the show is a mess cuz there's like 18 different people, none of whom are particularly strong.

And I say there's no one to "hate", but God I hate Paige lol.

The "Today Show" production is not great for me. Honestly I think that format and style was built for the stay at home mom in mind, and just doesn't translate to your average golfer. Maybe I'm wrong.

I actually liked it better with just EK, Gary, and Holly. Whether or not you like her body choices, Holly's tv personality was better than any of the ladies they have now. EK was a huge DB, but it actually made Gary more likable for the contrast haha.

Now they've got a bunch of mildly annoying people. There's nobody to really "hate" but there's nobody good either. Nobody you can focus on and the show is a mess cuz there's like 18 different people, none of whom are particularly strong.

I used to think the same way...now I hate Robert Damron! Haha!

Me too!

Me too!

There's a lot of amateur shrinks on here who can help with that self loathing RD!

I know he eventually sent Peter Kessler to golf television Siberia...

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

I'm confused, where did Breed go?

He is on Sirius/XM PGA Network and it is just awful. Guy goes a mile a minute. Very hard to listen too. It is like he is on a constant caffeine high.

Breed said leaving the Golf Channel was 100% his choice and he just wanted to not have to travel every week and be around his family more. Still has his school at Ferry Point, still gives lessons, and will be starting his own online golf school in conjunction with Golf Digest. His Sirius XM show is much better. Breed is able to speak his mind now and I really enjoy his show.

When was he not able to speak his mind? He is still a sponsors dream with regard to loyalty....his defense of Titleist golf balls vs. Golfspy/Kirkland should go down in history. It was off-putting to me (to be kind) but I get it, they pay his bills, he did go full on snake oil salesman trying to convince us that Titleist balls are good and pure and round, everything else is the "devils" ball and evil, and square and will ruin America.

I caught his radio show recently and he is still sponsored by Titleist....

Breed, for the most part, wasn’t too critical of players or the Tour before. Outside of Brandel, few at Golf Channel rock the boat. Breed is way more interesting to listen to now. He isn’t holding back.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Oh man, listening to Ginella talking this morning......talking about how growing the game needs more affordable courses. While almost all his segments on where to play feature the most prominent (ie, expensive) courses in the area.

+1. Ginella is the one thing on MD that does drive me nuts. Even one he does a more affordable trip option he always ends up along the lines "If you are going you might as well spend 3 times as much on the high end courses"

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I’d pay a few bucks for a PGA channel constantly showing practice/range sessions early in week, and what can’t be seen on Thurs-Sunday, when aired on national stations. They could even sprinkle in their own version of shows with pga teachers, and replays of old tournaments....

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1