Breakthrough Golf Technology (CEO Barney Adams) Stability putter shafts

atursky

Sounds like the people who have seen improvement with this shaft had a bad putter fit before...

Literally all I did was change the shaft...

Same. The difference in feel and directional stability is amazing. I'm sticking with mine for the long haul.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the people who have seen improvement with this shaft had a bad putter fit before...

Same. The difference in feel and directional stability is amazing. I'm sticking with mine for the long haul.

Agreed I had five birdies Saturday in the club championship with mine.

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Agreed I had five birdies Saturday in the club championship with mine.

That's all I'm saying, dudes. When people have massive performance leaps with the driver it usually (mostly) boils down to fit.

Putter is now in the same category.

I sent them an email yesterday regarding product info and Canadian dealers however they still have not responded. I'll definitely give them some additional time but it's not a great sign.

I never did receive an response to my email so it doesn't say much for their customer support. Too bad because it did sound like an interesting product. Hope others have a better experience when dealing with them.

Where in Canada are you? Both Modern Golf and TXG have these.

I sent them an email yesterday regarding product info and Canadian dealers however they still have not responded. I'll definitely give them some additional time but it's not a great sign.

I never did receive an response to my email so it doesn't say much for their customer support. Too bad because it did sound like an interesting product. Hope others have a better experience when dealing with them.

Where in Canada are you? Both Modern Golf and TXG have these.

I'm about an 18 hour drive to both locations. That's if I only stop for gas, water and sandwiges. That being said I'll be visiting my sister in December who lives nearby, will probably drop in to see if they can adapt one of my putter for one.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

Barney Adams does not impress me as a snake oil type - during the '90's, before Adams Golf made it big, I'd see him at a range hitting balls at Hank Haney's Ranch where his people did fittings. Nice guy, very factual. Talked with him a few times as he hit balls, doing testing.

I played a UST filtered shaft for several years - it gave you a more direct feel where you could really feel mishits. This is not the same goal as the BreakTrough Shafts.

If you have a large and/or heavy putter head, it makes sense that these shafts may help. You have the 70 yr old shaft on high MOI, heavy putters - instead of 300-320g heads, we now have 360-450g heads with a massive head spread out heel to toe and front to back. We're not in Anser Land any more, Toto. Those heads may need help from the shaft.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

My only negative comment is regarding the grip. Obviously the butt end of the shaft is a lot thicker than normal and it’s can’t be easy to install a grip. I asked them to use the counter balanced SuperStroke grip I had on the putter before. The photos show that a) the butt end of the grip looks a little twisted, b) the counter core isn’t flush with the grip. This shouldn’t be too much of an issue but I’m really OCD on grip alignment.

That doesn't look square anywhere along the grip, did they use a guide to put that one or just eyeball it? Seems a bit counter intuitive to have a shaft to minimize face rotation and twisting and have a wonky grip! But it looks great with the Odyssey.

Secondly, what would stop me from just sticking an X100 in a putter, or a 130X C-Taper and tipping it? I’m not trying to diminish the tech that may (or may not be) behind this but it seems like I would accomplish a lot of the same things.

I used a Wilson TPXVIII that had been tipped as far as possible (the Wilson has quite a long neck and ferrule) and it was great for long putts, but it was like a rock with short ones, there just wasn't any feedback.

Edit: Just noticed it's my Ninth Anniversary as a member of GolfWRX time to stick a willow in my 8802!

General consensus so far seems to be that it makes sense for the newer/heavier heads of some putters over 360 grams and the result is “stability”, BUT, only on longer putts (over 20 feet), and that on putts 10’ or under the difference really isn’t discernable.

So, serious question:

Why not work on your iron game to leave yourself putts that are closer? $200 seems like crazy money for a debatable performance increase on what I have to assume for most wrx’ers is a situation that happens 2x per round or less. For me personally, I don’t notice any instability in my putter unless I’m out well past 20’, and if I’m that far out, I had a crappy shot that left me there. More often than not I’m putting from well inside 20’.

I’ve never been one to tell people how they should spend their money, so f it’s sonething that one believes will help their game, then by all means, knock yourself out! Me, I’ll pass.

General consensus so far seems to be that it makes sense for the newer/heavier heads of some putters over 360 grams and the result is “stability”, BUT, only on longer putts (over 20 feet), and that on putts 10’ or under the difference really isn’t discernable.

So, serious question:

Why not work on your iron game to leave yourself putts that are closer? $200 seems like crazy money for a debatable performance increase on what I have to assume for most wrx’ers is a situation that happens 2x per round or less. For me personally, I don’t notice any instability in my putter unless I’m out well past 20’, and if I’m that far out, I had a crappy shot that left me there. More often than not I’m putting from well inside 20’.

I’ve never been one to tell people how they should spend their money, so f it’s sonething that one believes will help their game, then by all means, knock yourself out! Me, I’ll pass.

General consensus from whom?

Reading through this thread it seems like the people who have actually used it in their gamer have mostly all seen an improvement in performance or are putting better. I can completely understand the skepticism but I'd put this up there with the best equipment decisions I've made this year. Even better than the G400 MAX driver I've been abusing fairways with. I don't see playing w a putter wo this shaft in it I'd honestly feel like I was at a disadvantage. The people I know off the forum who are using it all feel the same way.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

So, serious question:

Why not work on your iron game to leave yourself putts that are closer? $200 seems like crazy money for a debatable performance increase on what I have to assume for most wrx'ers is a situation that happens 2x per round or less. For me personally, I don't notice any instability in my putter unless I'm out well past 20', and if I'm that far out, I had a crappy shot that left me there. More often than not I'm putting from well inside 20'.

Not sure what the average is today, but a few years back there weren't many (i.e none) tour players that averaged under 5% error with their irons. So from 150 yards they were averaging 22.5', 200 yards was 30 feet. So there's no amount of practice to stop you from getting longer putts. People are spending thousands on shafts for a few hundred RPMs (when they're strikes go up and down a few thousand RPMs), so a couple of hundred bucks for a putter shaft that might actually help isn't ridiculous.

The proof is in the pudding, but as heavier putters become more and more common, they'll get to the point where the shaft's more hindrance than help.

If this was really and truly a game changer Dechambeau would have had it in his putter a long time ago. He should be the benchmark for unconventional equipment in shafts, putters, irons, etc. If it works and is truly groundbreaking I'd gurantee he would be gaming it.

Long putts I could see it being possibly beneficial but nothing an extremely stiff graphite shaft cant do like Dechambeau uses.

If this was really and truly a game changer Dechambeau would have had it in his putter a long time ago. He should be the benchmark for unconventional equipment in shafts, putters, irons, etc. If it works and is truly groundbreaking I'd gurantee he would be gaming it.

Long putts I could see it being possibly beneficial but nothing an extremely stiff graphite shaft cant do like Dechambeau uses.

There is a difference between longitudal stiffness and torsional stiffness.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I'm not saying there isn't just clearly stating that if this shaft was an insane putter product that was revolutionary there would be tons more tour pros putting it into play with Dechambeu at the front of the line.

Something like this is right up his ally as he thinks about equipment totally different than anyone else and if it truly made a difference he would be using it.

Name one player in the top 50 OWGR or top 30 in the fedex cup that has one in play. We all know they would appreciate any help they or we could get on the greens if it actually makes a difference.

Amateurs really try to put way to much emphasis on shafts, equipment, etc. They expect a shaft like this to magically fix their putting stroke but only knows what the practice green looks like when they drive by it to go to the first tee box.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.

I'm not saying there isn't just clearly stating that if this shaft was an insane putter product that was revolutionary there would be tons more tour pros putting it into play with Dechambeu at the front of the line.

Something like this is right up his ally as he thinks about equipment totally different than anyone else and if it truly made a difference he would be using it.

Name one player in the top 50 OWGR or top 30 in the fedex cup that has one in play. We all know they would appreciate any help they or we could get on the greens if it actually makes a difference.

Amateurs really try to put way to much emphasis on shafts, equipment, etc. They expect a shaft like this to magically fix their putting stroke but only knows what the practice green looks like when they drive by it to go to the first tee box.

From what I've seen, golfers are a conservative group in terms of change and are sometimes slow to change. They probably think like you - it's a putter! How much torque is working here? Bryson probably thinks it's dialed in -- and besides, it's the playoffs! Playoffs? Who is going to change a putter shaft during the playoffs? I mean, Justin and Tiger change their putters, but the shaft? That's something to look at, if they do, after the RC.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

This is definitely true to some extent. Nothing including this shaft will fix a bad stroke. It's not magical or even close. A putt that would have missed by 6" won't suddenly go in. But it doesn't take much for a putt that burns the edge to instead hold its line and fall in. I've spent my life in the golf equipment industry and have no affiliation to this company. I belive its a great product and a definite improvement on standard putter shafts. I'd be surprised if the majority wouldn't agree if they got some real world experience with it. Before the BGT I was playing a DG X100 tipped 6+" in my putter. (the bottom step was just long enough for the hosel and maybe another inch.) So I've tried the really stiff shaft before. Couldn't use graphite because the head goes into the shaft. This is not the same thing.

I've also worked with numerous Tour Pros and they do not switch easily. Especially to something like this that has a different look to it. I'd be surprised if they didn't get some traction on Tour but that's VERY difficult for a smaller company no matter how good their product is without a MAJOR commitment and MAJOR dollars that are hard to ever recoup.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

This is definitely true to some extent. Nothing including this shaft will fix a bad stroke. It's not magical or even close. A putt that would have missed by 6" won't suddenly go in. But it doesn't take much for a putt that burns the edge to instead hold its line and fall in. I've spent my life in the golf equipment industry and have no affiliation to this company. I belive its a great product and a definite improvement on standard putter shafts. I'd be surprised if the majority wouldn't agree if they got some real world experience with it. Before the BGT I was playing a DG X100 tipped 6+" in my putter. (the bottom step was just long enough for the hosel and maybe another inch.) So I've tried the really stiff shaft before. Couldn't use graphite because the head goes into the shaft. This is not the same thing.

I've also worked with numerous Tour Pros and they do not switch easily. Especially to something like this that has a different look to it. I'd be surprised if they didn't get some traction on Tour but that's VERY difficult for a smaller company no matter how good their product is without a MAJOR commitment and MAJOR dollars that are hard to ever recoup.

I'd highly highly doubt this shaft would fix putts that burn the edge of the hole. That's speed and line. Something like this could only really make a difference on long putts. Putts outside of 30 feet are what less than 5%?

This shaft isnt going to magically increase those statistics at that distance. Inside 20-30 feet the torque on a shaft is minimal to none.

I'd highly highly doubt this shaft would fix putts that burn the edge of the hole. That's speed and line. Something like this could only really make a difference on long putts. Putts outside of 30 feet are what less than 5%?

This shaft isnt going to magically increase those statistics at that distance. Inside 20-30 feet the torque on a shaft is minimal to none.

I feel like it makes a difference on slight mishits. From any distance. They hold their line better. They go in the hole more. I've got close to 100 rounds in w the shaft.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I feel like it makes a difference on slight mishits. From any distance. They hold their line better. They go in the hole more. I've got close to 100 rounds in w the shaft.

If you mishit putts inside 15 feet consistantly or on a regular basis then again it's the stroke. A slightly stiffer shaft like the stability isnt going to fix it.

I'd almost guarantee you are making more putts based on being mentally more confident with that shaft thus making a better stroke and not backed by data facts. If it works for you and are confident with it then by all means use it but it shouldnt be said as scientific fact that the shaft is better because that's just simply not true.

It's all just an opinion like mine.

So, serious question:

This might be the most WRX this ever. David Hearn is leading the PGA TOUR in proximity to the hole. At 31.1 feet. Leading the PGA TOUR. 31.1 feet. And you are more often than not putting inside 20 feet?

So, serious question:

This might be the most WRX this ever. David Hearn is leading the PGA TOUR in proximity to the hole. At 31.1 feet. Leading the PGA TOUR. 31.1 feet. And you are more often than not putting inside 20 feet?

It's like when you catch a fish. It's always bigger when you talk about it to people who wasn't there.

In his case he really meant his chip shot is inside 20 because his 2nd shot into the par 4 missed the green.

If you mishit putts inside 15 feet consistantly or on a regular basis then again it's the stroke. A slightly stiffer shaft like the stability isnt going to fix it.

I'd almost guarantee you are making more putts based on being mentally more confident with that shaft thus making a better stroke and not backed by data facts. If it works for you and are confident with it then by all means use it but it shouldnt be said as scientific fact that the shaft is better because that's just simply not true.

It's all just an opinion like mine.

Nobody makes a perfect stroke everytime. Everyone miss hits putts. Even the best putters in the world. Just like everyone mishits shots. Golf is hard. Ive been as low as a +2.4 before a couple significant injuries the last few years so I can play and I can definitely putt. It's not just a "slightly stiffer shaft". The difference between my opinion and yours on this issue is I actually have significant experience with the product. A placebo effect won't last through 100 rounds.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Man I could truthfully careless. If it was that big of a deal the best putters in the world would have it in the bag plain and simple. If it actually helped make more putts and had the stats to prove it the tour guys would use it. They are about winning tournaments and making money and making more putts would do that.

It has been around awhile and probably longer for the guys in tour so they have had a significant amount of time to try it out.

If I recall Justin Rose tried it out but realized it actually didnt change anything for him so he ditched it for a more appealing shaft.

Man I could truthfully careless. If it was that big of a deal the best putters in the world would have it in the bag plain and simple. If it actually helped make more putts and had the stats to prove it the tour guys would use it. They are about winning tournaments and making money and making more putts would do that.

It has been around awhile and probably longer for the guys in tour so they have had a significant amount of time to try it out.

If I recall Justin Rose tried it out but realized it actually didnt change anything for him so he ditched it for a more appealing shaft.

The fact is its just not that simple to get traction for a new product on Tour no matter how good it is. Rules essentially prohibit reps from even talking to players about product unless the player expresses interest. I'd bet most of the Tour doesnt even know this shaft exists. We will see what happens with this shaft out on Tour with a little bit more time.

I always get a kick out of someone who has a very strong opinion about something they have little to no experience with.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

The fact is its just not that simple to get traction for a new product on Tour no matter how good it is. Rules essentially prohibit reps from even talking to players about product unless the player expresses interest. I'd bet most of the Tour doesnt even know this shaft exists. We will see what happens with this shaft out on Tour with a little bit more time.

I always get a kick out of someone who has a very strong opinion about something they have little to no experience with.

This isnt anything new. Odyssey has had a verison of it for awhile now. Even Sergio put it in play but it still didn't magically fix his putting either.

This isnt anything new. Odyssey has had a verison of it for awhile now. Even Sergio put it in play but it still didn't magically fix his putting either.

No sorry this shaft is quite different than the Odyssey shaft you are referencing.

And nobody is saying anything will magically fix anyone's anything. Nothing can fix Sergios putting.

I don't understand the hate for something you have never tried. I was completely skeptical of this shaft too. Until I tried it.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

For any of you who don't follow the TXG guys...

Interesting at the end when they mention using a Ctaper 130X flex shaft as a great putter shaft option....I might have to try that!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]