Breakthrough Golf Technology (CEO Barney Adams) Stability putter shafts

atursky

I still think this product is a new take on the old UST shaft which didn't change the world either.

Not really... same materials different goal. The UST FF putter shaft was meant to reduce "static / noisy" high frequency vibrations in the effort to better feel the ball on the putter face. Basically this just softens feel... I played them in several putters and these worked somewhat if you a traditional grip (not the fat grips of today).

The BGT shaft is about reducing torque and oscillation. I've been in contact with a few of the techs at BGT and they sent me a bunch of documentation there is not one mention of the word vibration or frequency in the materials. This shaft is about reducing face twist at impact.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m happy with my current putter and have been putting great this summer. I also don’t believe this shaft will have an actual effect on scores. But...

Just ordered a new putter just for the sake of getting this shaft installed with it. Curiosity got the best of me again. Sigh... I’m sure going to have fun trying it out though! :-)

I still think this product is a new take on the old UST shaft which didn't change the world either.

Not really... same materials different goal. The UST FF putter shaft was meant to reduce "static / noisy" high frequency vibrations in the effort to better feel the ball on the putter face. Basically this just softens feel... I played them in several putters and these worked somewhat if you a traditional grip (not the fat grips of today).

The BGT shaft is about reducing torque and oscillation. I've been in contact with a few of the techs at BGT and they sent me a bunch of documentation there is not one mention of the word vibration or frequency in the materials. This shaft is about reducing face twist at impact.

Thus the "new take".

This shaft is snake oil without public data.

Data might be hard to prove when it comes to putting, I don't know. But people have said it feels stable, and if they can make a putter feel more stable without having to add a bunch of weight to it, I think that's at least something.

Odyssey has their own take of a similar shaft that is not released yet, but they had six staffers put it in play last week at the Wyndham Championship.

I know some people who have been adding foam down the putter shaft to make it feel more stable, so I'm guessing this might have a similar effect. Me personally, I'm just really curious rather than optimistic. The best I can hope for is that it will have a feel I like, not necessarily that I'll be making more putts with it. Will see...

Data might be hard to prove when it comes to putting, I don't know. But people have said it feels stable, and if they can make a putter feel more stable without having to add a bunch of weight to it, I think that's at least something.

Odyssey has their own take of a similar shaft that is not released yet, but they had six staffers put it in play last week at the Wyndham Championship.

I know some people who have been adding foam down the putter shaft to make it feel more stable, so I'm guessing this might have a similar effect. Me personally, I'm just really curious rather than optimistic. The best I can hope for is that it will have a feel I like, not necessarily that I'll be making more putts with it. Will see...

Very interested in this Odyssey version

Anyone have any more details?

(thanks for the insight above - appreciated)

i tried one of these last week -- very impressed with the incredibly stable feel at impact. overall it feels very solid throughout the putting motion - i would honestly consider buying one if they were cheaper.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I have Emailed the company twice inquiring about an installer in my area and have received no response. A bit disappointing.

I took the bait and emailed the company. Very quick and detailed response to my questions. The customer service guy even gave me shipping info so I could send it to them to do it. Maybe it took a few weeks for them to get the "schtick" down since I emailed them 3 weeks after your post.

Titleist TS3
PING 410 3W
PING 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 4 Iron w/ Hazardous Smoke
PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-W $-Taper
PXG Milled GW
Vokey TVD 56K
Callaway MD4 64S

Ok. Just finished my testing with the boys from Cure putters in their quinntec putter lab. Interesting data. I rolled my putter with and without the shaft and unfortunately the shaft makes litter difference with face angle. Interesting the best (by far) putting I did was with their larger heavier putter with the shaft in. They also did independent testing using other putters. And found the lighter the putter the less the shaft worked. I will have raw data and a more comprehensive review within the next day or so. Just wanted to share the initial findings

Ok. Just finished my testing with the boys from Cure putters in their quinntec putter lab. Interesting data. I rolled my putter with and without the shaft and unfortunately the shaft makes litter difference with face angle. Interesting the best (by far) putting I did was with their larger heavier putter with the shaft in. They also did independent testing using other putters. And found the lighter the putter the less the shaft worked. I will have raw data and a more comprehensive review within the next day or so. Just wanted to share the initial findings

What range of putts where you testing over? A number of reviews mention how much more stable a putter feels over long range with this shaft (which would make sense...)

Thanks

What range of putts where you testing over? A number of reviews mention how much more stable a putter feels over long range with this shaft (which would make sense...)

Thanks

Great question. There are obviously flaws with any testing. We were testing 10 foot putts, as we were limited to that with the system set up. I know in speaking with the gentlemen at Cure (their founder is an engineer) thought the same thing. That that shaft would work best for A. Longer putts and B. Heavier putters. In the testing they did at closer range (inside 5 feet) there is almost no benefit. More coming

Just received my putter. Initial impressions: Build quality and installation into the putter head are excellent, you wouldn’t know this wasn’t build by a manufacturer.

Putting on the carpet you can’t really tell regarding performance. Feels good though, nothing crazy!

My only negative comment is regarding the grip. Obviously the butt end of the shaft is a lot thicker than normal and it’s can’t be easy to install a grip. I asked them to use the counter balanced SuperStroke grip I had on the putter before. The photos show that a) the butt end of the grip looks a little twisted, b) the counter core isn’t flush with the grip. This shouldn’t be too much of an issue but I’m really OCD on grip alignment.

Can we get some reviews/feedback on this shaft installed in a (quote/unquote) “normal” putter, ya know, something other than a Directed Force or a Cure? Throw it in a good old fashioned Newport 2 and let’s see what happens. Seriously, my curiosity is piqued.

Secondly, what would stop me from just sticking an X100 in a putter, or a 130X C-Taper and tipping it? I’m not trying to diminish the tech that may (or may not be) behind this but it seems like I would accomplish a lot of the same things.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Can we get some reviews/feedback on this shaft installed in a (quote/unquote) “normal” putter, ya know, something other than a Directed Force or a Cure? Throw it in a good old fashioned Newport 2 and let’s see what happens. Seriously, my curiosity is piqued.

Secondly, what would stop me from just sticking an X100 in a putter, or a 130X C-Taper and tipping it? I’m not trying to diminish the tech that may (or may not be) behind this but it seems like I would accomplish a lot of the same things.

i'm waiting on a few funds to clear and i'll be buying one and installing it in my scotty golo N5 -- will report back

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

i'm waiting on a few funds to clear and i'll be buying one and installing it in my scotty golo N5 -- will report back

You won’t be disappointed

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I have it in my MA/66 (Anser shape). Basically, off center hits stay on line better and you lose some of the harsh vibration. It doesn't help with distance on off-center hits though. Doesn't change the balance point really at all IMO. Still feels like it was with a steel shaft. Overall, I really like it. I need to change the grip though. I put a Bestgrips major leaguer on it to try but it's too small for me which is too bad. The feel is amazing and the shape is perfect but I need it just a little fatter, like midsized.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Had a customer come back in and tell us that on his golf tracking app his putts per round has gone down between 2 and 3 putts per round over the last 10 rounds with the new shaft, versus the 10 previous with the original putter, (2.39 i believe was the number). When you are already shooting in the 70s that is a nice reduction.

I'm still in love w this putter shaft. I've had a bad year striking the ball I got in a car accident end of May and injuries have prevented me from hitting the ball the way I usually do. That said my putting has been making up for it. I've never made more putts or felt more confident than I do since I got this shaft in my putter (Ping Tyne H). I just went on a 4 day golf trip w one of my closest friends we played 2-3 matches a day and toward the end of the trip he got so sick of watching me make everything that he went to grab my putter to get it away from me and he burned his hand it was so hot....

I have no data other than making more putts but I can tell you I definitely notice a difference I'd say this shaft is one of the best equipment decisions I made this year.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Got my first round with this shaft tomorrow (in a qualifier...)

Spent some time on the putting green with it this evening at my local course. They punched the greens a few weeks ago any they’re still not great but I could at least get club on ball and get some feedback.

The feel is different for sure. Not worse but not better, just different. Almost makes the putter feel “hollow”, difficult to describe. Can’t say I made more or less putts but the green was so bad difficult to say.

I know the course I’m playing tomorrow and they have good greens so it’ll be a good test. Looking forward to trying this out.

?

So, played my qualifier yesterday... and didn't qualify. Hit the ball OK but had a couple of bad holes where a bad shot tended to follow a bad shot. And landing an approach shot on a sprinkler head which ended OOB!

But for the putter and shaft combination. On the whole it was pretty good. Took 32 putts which is about average. Holed one from around 40 foot which was nice (also missed one from about 1 foot, complete brain fart there, nothing to do with the putter). Lag putting was good and it certainly felt like I could control the distance better and made a couple of nice 4 - 6 foot putts that at least had to be started outside the hole.

So far so good but it's very early stages.

check that - using the funds towards my other money-soaking hobby.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Asked the question to TXG yesterday and they said "a couple of weeks" before the review/data came out. Until then should be interesting as time goes on and the honeymoon phase wears off.

Oh for sure the honeymoon phase is a real thing, ha!

However there is a distinctive difference in feel which is real. If this help you hole more putts or keeps the ball on line longer we will see. From my impressions I think we may see an improvement in long range putting and distance control. Certainly that area of my game was better than normal yesterday and I think distance control has a lot to do with feel rather than alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updated data?

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I sent them an email yesterday regarding product info and Canadian dealers however they still have not responded. I'll definitely give them some additional time but it's not a great sign.

I never did receive an response to my email so it doesn't say much for their customer support. Too bad because it did sound like an interesting product. Hope others have a better experience when dealing with them.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

All of my responses have been very prompt and detailed.

Played a couple of rounds and can certainly feel a difference. The head feels more stable and controlled through impact. Need a couple more competitive rounds to put it under pressure. Had a 36 hole event this weekend but they done stupid hurricane came along... ?

Sounds like the people who have seen improvement with this shaft had a bad putter fit before...

Literally all I did was change the shaft...

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)