2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Patrick Reed golf.com Story - A Must Read

williamsnrb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent shipwreck a tweet. Two words. Amateur hour.

Days of Our Lives is on NBC at 1pm today for folks on golfwrx that are bored.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I'm sort of surprised that the takeaway of so many people here was that the article made Reed look bad or was some sort of attack piece. That was not my takeaway at all.

When I read the article, I did not think "wow this guy seems like a real jerk." Not at all. When I read it, I thought "wow this guy has been dealt some pretty hard and heavy stuff in his personal life but he battled through the turmoil to reach golf's highest mountain. Good for him."

I think the Patrick Reed story is a fascinating one. Yes, it's a sad and heartbreaking story. But it's also a story of tremendous courage, strength, determination and redemption.

I don't think shipnuck was out to get Patrick. I highly doubt that he is just so offended by some petty cheating and stealing stuff that he made it his mission to tear the guy down. His mission was to tell the Patrick Reed story.

On the golf course, Patrick is on a level far higher than any of us. But off the course, he is on the same level as all of us. We all have internal struggles and things going on in our personal lives. we all did dumb things when we were young and are trying to move on from them. The story highlights the fact that in this regard, the guys winning major championships are no different than the guys in our Sunday foursome. Patrick Reed is human. And frankly, a story about a guy who has overcome this stuff to achieve his dreams makes me more likely to root for him, not less.

Clearly, everyone will have their own takeaway, but that was mine. I wish more people could see the story through that lens and not through the lens of negativity.

I get that angle... i do. BUT its an angle that will only make sense to someone with a spotless past. Sheltered if you will.

From the angle of Reeds camp its certainly an attack piece. The narrative should never be about Shipnuck or Reeds parents on a day like that. But yet here we are , The narrative isnt how great he played. It isnt how many times he monday qualified to get status on tour. It isnt his ryder cup record. It isnt his spotless record as a husband and father. Its isnt anything positive. Its this ... His parents and their feelings .... BUT worse so its mostly about Shipnuck and his reporting on Reed. This piece has zero new news... and its timing is what makes it a 100% purposeful hit piece designed to propel Shipnucks status.

Respectfully disagree. I didn't know the back story on Reed until this article. Only thing I knew was his top 5 comment. There's a back story for every first time major winner, just happens that Patrick's is checkered with sadness and controversy but it is reality.

Reed didn't get to this point in life without significant support and expense from his parents. Seems like that all changed when Justine came into the picture. Like I said earlier, wouldn't be the first time that a woman drove a wedge between a man and his family. From the sounds of it, sounds like she drove the wedge deeper.

I'm sort of surprised that the takeaway of so many people here was that the article made Reed look bad or was some sort of attack piece. That was not my takeaway at all.

When I read the article, I did not think "wow this guy seems like a real jerk." Not at all. When I read it, I thought "wow this guy has been dealt some pretty hard and heavy stuff in his personal life but he battled through the turmoil to reach golf's highest mountain. Good for him."

I think the Patrick Reed story is a fascinating one. Yes, it's a sad and heartbreaking story. But it's also a story of tremendous courage, strength, determination and redemption.

I don't think shipnuck was out to get Patrick. I highly doubt that he is just so offended by some petty cheating and stealing stuff that he made it his mission to tear the guy down. His mission was to tell the Patrick Reed story.

On the golf course, Patrick is on a level far higher than any of us. But off the course, he is on the same level as all of us. We all have internal struggles and things going on in our personal lives. we all did dumb things when we were young and are trying to move on from them. The story highlights the fact that in this regard, the guys winning major championships are no different than the guys in our Sunday foursome. Patrick Reed is human. And frankly, a story about a guy who has overcome this stuff to achieve his dreams makes me more likely to root for him, not less.

Clearly, everyone will have their own takeaway, but that was mine. I wish more people could see the story through that lens and not through the lens of negativity.

I get that angle... i do. BUT its an angle that will only make sense to someone with a spotless past. Sheltered if you will.

From the angle of Reeds camp its certainly an attack piece. The narrative should never be about Shipnuck or Reeds parents on a day like that. But yet here we are , The narrative isnt how great he played. It isnt how many times he monday qualified to get status on tour. It isnt his ryder cup record. It isnt his spotless record as a husband and father. Its isnt anything positive. Its this ... His parents and their feelings .... BUT worse so its mostly about Shipnuck and his reporting on Reed. This piece has zero new news... and its timing is what makes it a 100% purposeful hit piece designed to propel Shipnucks status.

Respectfully disagree. I didn't know the back story on Reed until this article. Only thing I knew was his top 5 comment. There's a back story for every first time major winner, just happens that Patrick's is checkered with sadness and controversy but it is reality.

Reed didn't get to this point in life without significant support and expense from his parents. Seems like that all changed when Justine came into the picture. Like I said earlier, wouldn't be the first time that a woman drove a wedge between a man and his family. From the sounds of it, sounds like she drove the wedge deeper.

Lol. You know where I stand. I just can’t see her in Control at all. Makes no sense.

Sure. We all get masters winners stories. But I have two recent examples above of winners who has worse pasts than reed. And I don’t recall a hit piece being done the day of either winning a major. And it’s because of the politics. Shipnuck is being the bully here because it’s Reed and he can get away with it. If it were phil. And he showed up to his parent house while he was winning a major he’d see his head roll. And he knows it.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I couldn't care if he has sex with goats.

I couldn't agree more Bro, but no, there's a line and beastiality crosses it����

I mean, we gotta draw a line somewhere, right��??

Cheers��

RP

Need to know for sure. Are we talking a literal or figurative goat? The forums is full of goat humpers so clarification matters. :)

Acchhh.....ya f**k one little goat....

and I was responsible enough not to mention the goat by name

Did I mention, Patrick won the f-----g green jersey.

You know that based on your vast personal experience with the family? Unlikely! I would strongly suggest going back a page or two and read the offerings of Richard (forged4ever) and Madison (nikegal).

You believe this to be true because you were fed one side of a multi-tiered story. Rather than expand your horizons and consider, we don't know all the facts, you blame his wife who has obviously been a wonderful partner for his personal life and career! Again, he has been nothing short of a model citizen, husband and father since his disassociation with his parents.

It seems to me, you fell for Shipnuck's agenda! Congratulations!

Lol. You know where I stand. I just can’t see her in Control at all. Makes no sense.

Sure. We all get masters winners stories. But I have two recent examples above of winners who has worse pasts than reed. And I don’t recall a hit piece being done the day of either winning a major. And it’s because of the politics. Shipnuck is being the bully here because it’s Reed and he can get away with it. If it were phil. And he showed up to his parent house while he was winning a major he’d see his head roll. And he knows it.

Is Phil estranged from his parents and siblings? What other major winner is estranged from his family? That's sort of a big deal.

Lol. You know where I stand. I just can't see her in Control at all. Makes no sense.

Sure. We all get masters winners stories. But I have two recent examples above of winners who has worse pasts than reed. And I don't recall a hit piece being done the day of either winning a major. And it's because of the politics. Shipnuck is being the bully here because it's Reed and he can get away with it. If it were phil. And he showed up to his parent house while he was winning a major he'd see his head roll. And he knows it.

Is Phil estranged from his parents and siblings? What other major winner is estranged from his family? That's sort of a big deal.

There is plenty of dirt on Phil. Everyone is just more careful, and should be.

I loved the top 5 comment. Absolutely loved it. Loved that he won the WGC right after it. Loved that it makes people so mad. All this time we are led to believe that it's the players who are pampered and spleeny.

The truth is, it's not the players. It's the fans.

I loved the top 5 comment. Absolutely loved it. Loved that he won the WGC right after it. Loved that it makes people so mad. All this time we are led to believe that it's the players who are pampered and spleeny.

Yep. Reed's victory has churned up the stuff from the bottom that has settled under this creamy and fluffy protective layer for far too long.

Reed is anything but typical. Can't wait for what comes next.

Lol. You know where I stand. I just can't see her in Control at all. Makes no sense.

Sure. We all get masters winners stories. But I have two recent examples above of winners who has worse pasts than reed. And I don't recall a hit piece being done the day of either winning a major. And it's because of the politics. Shipnuck is being the bully here because it's Reed and he can get away with it. If it were phil. And he showed up to his parent house while he was winning a major he'd see his head roll. And he knows it.

maybe thats the disconnect ..... It isnt a big deal... Not compared to winning the masters or having a happy life. Thats my point about "sheltered".... some here cant fathom being estranged. If the reason is good enough you cant imagine NOT being estranged. At that point it isnt a big deal. Hes doing it correctly.. a clean cut .

and No Phil doesnt have the exact same issue.. but if we need a direct comparison , lets say they show up to his bookies house on masters sunday after he wins for an article... Fans would burn down the editors house...lol come on man.. you are not this dense. I say this as a Phil fan by the by.

what about DJ and the gun he bought that was used in the murder.... and the PGA wives club he entertained.... why wasnt that discussed at the us open presser ? i just see unequal treatment for Reed because he isnt connected .

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Angel Cabrera and Vijay Singh immediately jump to mind. Jason Day and Dustin Johnson didn't have a model family situation.

The piece itself was oddly timed. The "article explaining the article" is borderline bizarre. Except...

A tour player is claiming Shipnuck received a 6 month ban from Tour coverage for reporting a comment overheard in a locker room in Charlotte. The player who made the statement apparently told tour officials the comments were NOT made directly to Shipnuck AND Shipnuck never asked the player for permission to run with them.

I think we need to shift focus from the Masters winner to this "journalist," his employer, and the outlets that pick him up.

After all, "where there is smoke, there is fire."

Source?

The piece itself was oddly timed. The "article explaining the article" is borderline bizarre. Except...

A tour player is claiming Shipnuck received a 6 month ban from Tour coverage for reporting a comment overheard in a locker room in Charlotte. The player who made the statement apparently told tour officials the comments were NOT made directly to Shipnuck AND Shipnuck never asked the player for permission to run with them.

I think we need to shift focus from the Masters winner to this "journalist," his employer, and the outlets that pick him up.

Source?

same could be asked about any of the allegations against Reed... that was his point. No named georgia player has come forward... No augusta state story of his teamates not wanting to win has been substantiated.. in fact the opposite us shown since he still has that same coach.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Source?

same could be asked about any of the allegations against Reed... that was his point. No named georgia player has come forward... No augusta state story of his teamates not wanting to win has been substantiated.. in fact the opposite us shown since he still has that same coach.

And yet the story of Justine calling for tournament security to eject Reed's parents from an event simply for being there is unquestioned. Reed's interview responses (or lack thereof) are also a matter of record. So too are the social media appearances.

And of course former Georgia Assistant Men's Golf Coach Jason Payne has gone on the record to generally confirm the most contentious of all of the reporting (that being Shane Ryan, from whom I have distanced myself in this thread, in distinction to Alan Shipnuck).

Source?

Shipnuck cites his source for the Georgia allegations. "As Shane Ryan writes in his book Slaying The Tiger: ..."

Shipnuck never says that Reed cheated or stole or anything else. He says that he was accused of such things, and backs that up with a source.

This!

I am a big Reed fan ever since the Ryder Cup. Questioned his top 5 comment at the time, but could tell he was talented obviously. Was super pumped for him and lucky enough to be there, sitting next to a bunch of people rooting for him to fail.

I love the fact that Reed isn’t buddy buddy with the golden boys on tour that are right around his age. Not that I don’t like some of the young guns (Fowler), but I love Reed and how he isn’t playing on tour to make friends. He wants to beat your brains in.

I’m also a big Rory fan, but Reed owns real estate in the man’s head.

The drinking in college and all that stuff is way overblown. As many have said, we’ve all been there. The cheating accusations are obviously troubling given the integrity golf demands. But again, he was a stupid college kid at the time and if it’s true I’m sure looking back he regrets it. If his father was a total d bag growing up and hammering him if he didn’t perform, maybe that’s why he’s so driven to win and super competitive, to the point he’d cheat. Just a thought and not excusing it, but it’s a bit overblown.

Anyway, I don’t see a chance in hell we have a Willett like collapse following the win of his first major. Reed’s F U attitude will hopefully help him bag a few more.

This seems like something of a representative comment:

The cheating accusations are obviously troubling given the integrity golf demands. But again, he was a stupid college kid at the time and if it’s true I’m sure looking back he regrets it. If his father was a total d bag growing up and hammering him if he didn’t perform, maybe that’s why he’s so driven to win and super competitive, to the point he’d cheat. Just a thought and not excusing it, but it’s a bit overblown.

Anyway, I don’t see a chance in hell we have a Willett like collapse following the win of his first major. Reed’s F U attitude will hopefully help him bag a few more.

Let's break it down.

The cheating accusations are obviously troubling given the integrity golf demands.

I think that Shane Ryan and Alan Shipnuck would agree, and they have done little more than to suggest it is an issue, with questions (at a minimum) having been raised by people who were in close contact with Reed.

But again, he was a stupid college kid at the time and if it’s true I’m sure looking back he regrets it.

But again, it might help if Reed answered the relevant questions, instead of stiff-arming every reporter who asks about it.

If his father was a total d bag growing up and hammering him if he didn’t perform, maybe that’s why he’s so driven to win and super competitive, to the point he’d cheat.

Of all of the un-sourced, dubious accusations surrounding Patrick Reed, this one leads the pack. I'll entertain that notion when somebody states it on the record and a journalist has sufficient second-sourcing to print it, and when Patrick Reed will answer questions about it. All of which can be said favorably, about Alan Shipnuck's reporting with Reed's parents.

By the way, "the drinking in college stuff" for whatever it is worth (very little, I think, by almost all accounts) is one of the things that Reed confirms, willingly. Reed's position is that he absolutely was not kicked out of UGa for matters pertaining to the golf team, and he enlisted his former head coach there to back that up. (Because otherwise, without Reed's permission, I don't think FERPA would permit the coach to say anything.) Reed's position is that his stupid youthful drinking, not golf cheating or alleged theft, etc., is what got him kicked out of UGa.

The media has done stories about Singh, Day, Johnson and Cabrera.

Pretty ironic and sad (news worthy story) that a guy's family lives in Augusta, watching their son win on TV because they aren't welcome in person. So don't know why some of you are freaking out about this one from Shipnuck.

It’s all in the timing.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Source?

Shipnuck cites his source for the Georgia allegations. "As Shane Ryan writes in his book Slaying The Tiger: ..."

Shipnuck never says that Reed cheated or stole or anything else. He says that he was accused of such things, and backs that up with a source.

lol. So it’s ok to cite a non credible anonymous 4th party source now ? Please stop.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The media has done stories about Singh, Day, Johnson and Cabrera.

Pretty ironic and sad (news worthy story) that a guy's family lives in Augusta, watching their son win on TV because they aren't welcome in person. So don't know why some of you are freaking out about this one from Shipnuck.

It's all in the timing.

Exactly. Patrick Reed's family is not watching him win the Masters in December. Or August. They are watching him win it on April 8th. The story is about Patrick's family watching him win the Masters at home instead of in person. That is the story.

The story of Patrick's estrangement did not just break for the first time on Sunday. It was in the news years ago. That much was already out there. This now is a story about his family watching him win the Masters.

Source?

lol. So it's ok to cite a non credible anonymous 4th party source now ? Please stop.

There is nothing inaccurate about saying "Patrick Reed was accused of cheating in a book published by Shane Ryan."

That is a fact. There is a book written by a guy named Shane Ryan. And in that book, Patrick Reed is accused of cheating by some of his teammates. Everything about that statement is factual. The accusations may not be factual. But stating that Reed is accused in a book is. You can buy the book and read the part where Reed is accused. Shipnuck even inserted that passage in his article.

Again, Shipnuck never says "Patrick Reed cheated." If Shipnuck did, then yes, that would be inaccurate and irresponsible. But he did not. He only states that he was accused of such in a book written by someone else.

Source?

Shane Ryan can't "source" something he has no direct knowledge of other than some random "anonymous" story from college. Ryan didn't witness anything!

Edit to add; It's irresponsible of Shipnuck to use said "source" as his "source" for a hatchet piece on the newly minted Masters champion!

Source?

Exactly. I heard an interview yesterday with the coach. He thinks very highly of him, but he acknowledged, he needed direction. But at 19 or 20 years old, who doesn't?? But no one came forward. Not one. This whole thing trying to smack him in the face a couple hours after a major stinks like hell.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!