Is pursuing a golf career worth it anymore?

jjharrs2

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been an assistant pro for 5 years and now transitioning in to director of instruction. IMO the problem with getting in to the golf business is that there is a lot of crappy jobs (low pay, long hours, working weekends and holidays) and very few great positions. Most courses have 2 or 3 assistants and only one head pro. Very hard to move up through the ranks in the golf industry. No one should ever get in to the golf business because they enjoy playing. Being in the golf business isn't about making money, it's about doing what you love. Most entry level assistants make anywhere from $24,000-$32,000 a year. There are very few positions that pay over $100,000 and there will be a lot of competition and politics when they do become available.

I'm going to snip these two posts a bit so this doesn't turn into a massive wall of text, but I think they each make a very good point that hasn't been raised yet.

I'm fortunate at my club. I rarely work over 40 hours and am encouraged(expected) to play and practice as much as possible to keep my game sharp. My job is often to play golf with members, and I run all of the hard goods and club fitting which is my true passion. I eventually will be fitting full time which can be lucrative.

We also never really do monday events so I can compete every week in section events.

I do know, however, that this is NOT the norm for most assistants in this business. I've landed at a club that has many perks that simply don't show up on that paycheck, and I love what I do which you can't put a price on.

Way back in my youth I was good enough to win local/state/regional amateur stuff, and to get half or three quarters of the way through the field at national amateur stuff (without ever sniffing actually winning anything, lol). Because of that I was able to get a few jobs as described above. Members and management both love being able to say "so and so got through to match play of the mid-am again this year, made a few more putts and he would've had a shot to play Augusta" or whatever. It's a selling point for the club. So they'll encourage you to play and practice as much as you need to, in addition to giving you the time off to travel for events. OTOH, if it's going to take you five tries to get through the PATs members and management aren't going to give you that time.

With so many properties becoming more "corporate" driven, the allure of the old-fashioned model of a Head Pro is quickly diminishing.

Yep. Look at a place like ClubCorp. If you go and work for them you'll go farther, make more (while working fewer hours), AND get to play more with an MBA than by passing your PAT. Working for a place like ClubCorp is not for everyone, but if you're okay with a corporate environment I'd go for an MBA as the best way to get into the industry. It also leads to a better fallback position if you don't end up liking it.....which makes it little easier to explain to your wife ;)

Not exactly in the industry, but worked food and beverage at one of the nicer private tracks in my area. Was there for 8 years, 2 years in High school and all of College and then some. I learned these things:

1. Don't work as a head chef; I was training to go to Le Cordon Bleu at the time. Saw the hours needed to make $55-$65K in a property that did HUGE F&B numbers each year; no thanks.

2. If you love playing, don't work as a pro or even as the GM for the property, you don't play nearly as much as you think.

3. If you MUST get into Golf, get into at a non-playing level (IE, not a starter, club pro, pro shop attendant, ETC). I think the ONLY route I would entertain going would be through an OEM doing something with Data or marketing, something of that nature.

Just like the love for cooking or being a chef left me after seeing what it was really like in a high-end kitchen, the same happens to people on fire about the game of golf that end up working at a country club. This is just my opinion obviously, take it for what it's worth.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I've been an assistant pro for 5 years and now transitioning in to director of instruction. IMO the problem with getting in to the golf business is that there is a lot of crappy jobs (low pay, long hours, working weekends and holidays) and very few great positions. Most courses have 2 or 3 assistants and only one head pro. Very hard to move up through the ranks in the golf industry. No one should ever get in to the golf business because they enjoy playing. Being in the golf business isn't about making money, it's about doing what you love. Most entry level assistants make anywhere from $24,000-$32,000 a year. There are very few positions that pay over $100,000 and there will be a lot of competition and politics when they do become available.

There’s at least 25 guys making $100,000k in the area I live and it’s likely closer to double that maybe more.

I see a ton of guys that are unmotivated. There should be at least one assistant/head pro, and generally more than one, at every course teaching 10+ lessons a week. You make your own opportunities. If anyone wants it, it’s there for the taking.

Recently getting back into golf after letting some dust collect on the clubs for two years. I'm 29 and have been playing pretty much my entire life. I'm currently in the middle of exploring a career change, and evaluating whether or not a career in golf is worth pursuing. I'm mainly thinking of the following options:

- Playing pro...obviously. (I know I've got a TON of work to even make it on the minis.) This is the ultimate dream, but I know, in reality, it probably won't happen.

- Teaching pro. I've given informal lessons, and I can't tell you how many swing tips friends have asked for in my life. I'm fairly proficient at analyzing swings and dissecting the problems. I used to work at a top 100 U.S course as basically a peon. One day our teaching pro came out and we were just watching people hit on the range. He asked me about three different swings and I told him about all of them. He basically said, "Yeah those are all correct. Now, I've gotta go teach that first person a lesson, and I'm going to teach him exactly what you just pointed out."

- Club Pro. I've worked a ton of customer service jobs, so I'm pretty proficient in that skill. I've also run my own business for 6+ years, so I get the business side of things.

- Equipment Rep. I'm not a huge fan of sales, but I'm sure there's some jobs in the equipment industry that doesn't involve cold calls and sales.

The main thing I'm wondering is when I look out 20-30 years from now, I really don't see golf being in a good place. I know that a ton of the money spent on golf is by people over 60, so when they die or get too old to play, what will take their place? Will people my age pick up the slack?

My wife and I are in a decent financial position. We have a few student loans, but that's about it. She is in a stable industry that won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Basically, I'd love to find a career that I can make around 50-60k in and be happy. We don't have a luxurious lifestyle, so with her income plus my 50-60k, we should be able to save up enough to retire before we are 80....hopefully... :stink:

I've got enough talent/resources to be able to pass the PAT and all the PGA certification stuff, but just wondering if it's really worth it if I'll be in a career crisis when I'm 55 years old. Any of you guys pondering these thoughts? I mean, maybe we can just hope Tiger wins majors until he's 60, then we'll be all good.

Do something you can get a retirement from, or at least be able to start investing, and that isn't at entry level in the golf business!....

10 years of my life was wasted in the "biz". I started in the shop and worked hard, was a PGA Member by 25, had a decent gig at a 45 hole Private facility, and a pretty packed Lesson schedule. The most I ever made in a year was around $45k. Here was the kicker for me: I woke up one Monday (my only day off most weeks) and had to play in a Ladies Inter-Club 40 miles away from the club in 40 degree windy conditions. I stopped by the Naval Recruiters office on the way back home that day, enlisted at 31 years old, and never looked back.

I now make 3 times what I made in the golf business thanks to my 6 years in. I also played more golf in the Navy then I ever did as a Pro and it set me up in an industry doing things I never imagined I would do. In my post-Naval career I'm now the nicest member at my Private club, I know those guys' pain.

The golf business is a succubus, I've never worked so many hours in my life for such little respect or compensation. There's other options out there if you want to play/teach/sell for a living.

No way you had a packed lesson schedule and only made $45k a year. 10 lessons a week for 50 weeks at $60 an hour (way below average) would be $30,000 in lesson income alone. 10 lessons a week is NOT packed. The assistant pros here teaching 10 lessons a week are making $75k and that's in one of the lowest paying sections in the country.

I would do 3-5 lessons per week at $50/lesson, club got 10%, usually averaged around $10-15k in lesson income. Summer's were slow in Central Florida and my base salary was $30k. I was a 1st Assistant and did more Tournament Management (MGA/LGA/Monday Tourney's) then I would of wanted to. I said "packed lesson schedule" because any free time I had was spent on the range giving lessons during season (4-5 months).

If your Assistants are making $75k, especially in Florida, then they are in the right spot, but that is far from the norm. Maybe check your figures, if you are a Head Pro/DOG chances are you've miscalculated how much your Assistant's actually make, like most of you old timers do. The fact of the matter is the golf business is not a viable option for the original poster's question if he want's to make ends meet.

There's at least 25 guys making $100,000k in the area I live and it's likely closer to double that maybe more.

I see a ton of guys that are unmotivated. There should be at least one assistant/head pro, and generally more than one, at every course teaching 10+ lessons a week. You make your own opportunities. If anyone wants it, it's there for the taking.

Can you name all the Pro's making over $100k in the Jacksonville, FL area? That area is where I'm from, grew up, and worked most of my Golf Professional career...I know almost all of those Pro's in the North Florida Section. This isn't 1995, there's maybe a handful making the figures you're suggesting.

There's at least 25 guys making $100,000k in the area I live and it's likely closer to double that maybe more.

I see a ton of guys that are unmotivated. There should be at least one assistant/head pro, and generally more than one, at every course teaching 10+ lessons a week. You make your own opportunities. If anyone wants it, it's there for the taking.

Can you name all the Pro's making over $100k in the Jacksonville, FL area? That area is where I'm from, grew up, and worked most of my Golf Professional career...I know almost all of those Pro's in the North Florida Section. This isn't 1995, there's maybe a handful making the figures you're suggesting.

I’d say you’re way out of touch if you think it’s only a handful. It’s where I’m from as well and have been in the North Florida Section for all but 18 months of my career. TPC has 5-6 alone (and I’m only counting golf staff), the pros at every member owned private club in town I can think of make $100k+ with maybe the except of one. Several of the muni head pros are making $100k or more when you include lesson income, their salaries are matters of public record. Then there’s teaching pros who are making that much or more. I could keep going if you want me to.

10 years of my life was wasted in the "biz". I started in the shop and worked hard, was a PGA Member by 25, had a decent gig at a 45 hole Private facility, and a pretty packed Lesson schedule. The most I ever made in a year was around $45k. Here was the kicker for me: I woke up one Monday (my only day off most weeks) and had to play in a Ladies Inter-Club 40 miles away from the club in 40 degree windy conditions. I stopped by the Naval Recruiters office on the way back home that day, enlisted at 31 years old, and never looked back.

I now make 3 times what I made in the golf business thanks to my 6 years in. I also played more golf in the Navy then I ever did as a Pro and it set me up in an industry doing things I never imagined I would do. In my post-Naval career I'm now the nicest member at my Private club, I know those guys' pain.

The golf business is a succubus, I've never worked so many hours in my life for such little respect or compensation. There's other options out there if you want to play/teach/sell for a living.

No way you had a packed lesson schedule and only made $45k a year. 10 lessons a week for 50 weeks at $60 an hour (way below average) would be $30,000 in lesson income alone. 10 lessons a week is NOT packed. The assistant pros here teaching 10 lessons a week are making $75k and that's in one of the lowest paying sections in the country.

I would do 3-5 lessons per week at $50/lesson, club got 10%, usually averaged around $10-15k in lesson income. Summer's were slow in Central Florida and my base salary was $30k. I was a 1st Assistant and did more Tournament Management (MGA/LGA/Monday Tourney's) then I would of wanted to. I said "packed lesson schedule" because any free time I had was spent on the range giving lessons during season (4-5 months).

If your Assistants are making $75k, especially in Florida, then they are in the right spot, but that is far from the norm. Maybe check your figures, if you are a Head Pro/DOG chances are you've miscalculated how much your Assistant's actually make, like most of you old timers do. The fact of the matter is the golf business is not a viable option for the original poster's question if he want's to make ends meet.

3-5 lessons a week isn’t packed. And out of season you could have easily done 10-20 a week. I’m not a head pro but know several assistants in this area making $75k or more personally. I’m not an old timer and am a good bit younger than you

3-5 lessons a week isn't packed. And out of season you could have easily done 10-20 a week. I'm not a head pro but know several assistants in this area making $75k or more personally. I'm not an old timer and am a good bit younger than you

You're obviously not in touch with what really goes down in normal operations as a Golf Pro. TPC staff makes an hourly wage, the pro's in the shop make maybe $25-30k tops. The PGA Tour Academy guys (out at TPC) are pulling in around $40-50k with the main teachers making a bit more. No one is making $100k though.

The DOG at Marsh Landing, The Plantation, even Pablo Creek aren't making $100k. Nobody owns a shop anymore which used to be the bread and butter for Club Pro's. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

3-5 lessons a week isn't packed. And out of season you could have easily done 10-20 a week. I'm not a head pro but know several assistants in this area making $75k or more personally. I'm not an old timer and am a good bit younger than you

You're obviously not in touch with what really goes down in normal operations as a Golf Pro. TPC staff makes an hourly wage, the pro's in the shop make maybe $25-30k tops. The PGA Tour Academy guys (out at TPC) are pulling in around $40-50k with the main teachers making a bit more. No one is making $100k though.

The DOG at Marsh Landing, The Plantation, even Pablo Creek aren't making $100k. Nobody owns a shop anymore which used to be the bread and butter for Club Pro's. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Haha you’re so wrong it’s laughable. I’m very in touch with what goes down. I make over $100k and have for years. I also teach many of the pros at many of the private courses in town. I also know what the teachers at TPC are making, the top teacher at TPC is pulling in 7 figures. The salary for the Deerwood job that got filled not too long ago was $120k ish. The other member owned courses in the area are all very similar. And doesn’t include any lesson revenue

You're right, I guess I'm out of touch. Good for you for making as much as you do/have, that was never a possibility during my days.

You're right, I guess I'm out of touch. Good for you for making as much as you do/have, that was never a possibility during my days.

You're in perfect touch. It's a crap profession where probably 10% have any stability and earning potential. I commend guys like iteachgolf for making an impact on the game in his area, but I think he'd agree the outlook for guys getting into the golf business isn't good, very tough business.....

You would be making a big mistake. One thing I've learned is to not take your hobby or passion and turn it into a business or work in it. I've done it twice, first in the golf industry and next in photography. I ended up despising both.

Make your income in a different profession and play golf on your free time and your vacation. It will keep you loving the game for the rest of your life.

Haha you're so wrong it's laughable. I'm very in touch with what goes down. I make over $100k and have for years. I also teach many of the pros at many of the private courses in town. I also know what the teachers at TPC are making, the top teacher at TPC is pulling in 7 figures. The salary for the Deerwood job that got filled not too long ago was $120k ish. The other member owned courses in the area are all very similar. And doesn't include any lesson revenue

I was a member at Deerwood for around 4 years back when Scott G was the head pro entire time I was there. I just looked him up and he left to see where he was at these days and he's now a medical sales territory manager. Looks like he left shortly after I moved back to AZ. I am in no way disputing the amount you say the job was filled for but I don't think he made anywhere near that much when I was there. I realize that was almost 8 years ago at this point as well. Still, my guess is that is at least double what he was making from memory so the market there has changed quite a bit.

Haha you're so wrong it's laughable. I'm very in touch with what goes down. I make over $100k and have for years. I also teach many of the pros at many of the private courses in town. I also know what the teachers at TPC are making, the top teacher at TPC is pulling in 7 figures. The salary for the Deerwood job that got filled not too long ago was $120k ish. The other member owned courses in the area are all very similar. And doesn't include any lesson revenue

I was a member at Deerwood for around 4 years back when Scott G was the head pro entire time I was there. I just looked him up and he left to see where he was at these days and he's now a medical sales territory manager. Looks like he left shortly after I moved back to AZ. I am in no way disputing the amount you say the job was filled for but I don't think he made anywhere near that much when I was there. I realize that was almost 8 years ago at this point as well. Still, my guess is that is at least double what he was making from memory so the market there has changed quite a bit.

Absolutely zero percent chance the head pro at Deerwood, even 8 years ago, made $60k or less. 14 years ago the head pro at Jax Beach muni got $65k a year salary as his first head pro job plus his lesson income which is pretty decent amount. Plenty of guys leave the business who made good money.

How much does the head pro take though at a CC

Nothing generally

Not my impression of how things work (however you are obviously the domain expert in this subject in your area)

At our club (private without sounding like a dick) Head pro gets a cut of all sales (pro shop and lesson) Club is owned by members so they have to publish the financials. At one point it looked like cart rentals and range were also owned buy the proshop but the club has since clawed that back. I know its not typical for a pro to own the shop in most cases but I think its fairly common for this to be the structure or pecking order if you will ... at least in my part of the world (Ontario Canada a crazy place that just gets golf half the time if were lucky)

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

How much does the head pro take though at a CC

Nothing generally

Not my impression of how things work (however you are obviously the domain expert in this subject in your area)

At our club (private without sounding like a dick) Head pro gets a cut of all sales (pro shop and lesson) Club is owned by members so they have to publish the financials. At one point it looked like cart rentals and range were also owned buy the proshop but the club has since clawed that back. I know its not typical for a pro to own the shop in most cases but I think its fairly common for this to be the structure or pecking order if you will ... at least in my part of the world (Ontario Canada a crazy place that just gets golf half the time if were lucky)

Head pros generally don’t take a cut of their assistants lessons. Not saying it never happens but it’s far more common that assistants get 100% of their lesson income then not. Allowing them 100% of their lessons is a reward for working long hours. There’s several Director of Instruction jobs that are available throughout the country that are paying $30k a year and instructor gets 100% of his lesson revenue.

What changed? Those averages are about the same excluding lesson income. Nobody said that the average is over $100k, though private average is around $90k a year, but it’s certianly attainable. I don’t strive to be average at anything I do, so I wouldn’t look at what the average guy makes. I’d look at what the top 20% make which is certainly over $100k

What changed? Those averages are about the same excluding lesson income. Nobody said that the average is over $100k, though private average is around $90k a year, but it's certianly attainable. I don't strive to be average at anything I do, so I wouldn't look at what the average guy makes. I'd look at what the top 20% make which is certainly over $100k

I think what a few people have posted (and what i believe) is that there are definitely guys who can make money in the golf industry, but as you say they are the top guys. You posted that there are 25 guys in the area you live making over 100K, that is excellent and good for them (not being sarcastic or anything i mean that genuinely). But there are probably 25 guys at your local marketing firm making that, and that's just one company. And these guys probably aren't in the top 15-20% of the marketing profession, especially considering Florida is a hotbed for golf so the golf pros there are probably better at their jobs comparably speaking to marketing guys

In Quebec for example, i would guess there are more people at my company alone making 100K then there are golf pros in the entire province making that much

This is not to be argumentative, just to put it into perspective. It's awesome for guys like you who have done well in the golf business, i just think an "average" to "above average" employee will make more in other fields than in golf.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You know honestly I think if you talk to anyone in any field, they'll tell you their field isn't worth it. Of the few fields that are considered trendy, by the time everyone agrees on that field, they become oversaturated. Point is, just do what you believe is your gift -- it's going to be a grind regardless.

Very interesting reading. To give a different perspective, after qualifying I was lucky enough to get work as a freelance instructor at the biggest golf facility (no course, just practice and teaching facilities) in South Africa for a couple of years. Under the Gary Player Golf Academy name, not a Mickey Mouse set-up. I did 15 lessons a day and that was below average, the established pros were regularly doing 20 half-hour lessons a day. A 'lesson' included clinics and scheduled Call for Help sessions (walking the range offering to help people and sell lessons). We had weekly training and educationals to stay up to date.

The Academy had employees calling to sell and arrange lessons and schedule your diary, we just pumped lessons. The more lessons, the better percentage of income you received. In my case as a freelancer the Academy took about 80% of the lesson income, leaving $7 (converted from our currency) per lesson for me before deductions. That was more than the junior guys got, only the top guys that had been there for years got a bigger cut. Usually 14 teaching pros on the staff. Lessons at the academy were much more expensive than most club pro lessons, a very few top clubs offered lessons that cost the same or more. This was just over 3 years ago. You worked your butt off for peanuts. I learned a great deal, met some great people, but it was not something I could do for very long and I was happy to get out of it.

The PGA of SA qualifies about 30 apprentices a year. If 10 of those stay in the industry for more than 2 years I'd be surprised. Not an easy way to make a living in this part of the world. As a club pro at a good club you can do OK, but those jobs are very scarce and hotly contested. No new courses here for years, you wait for someone to leave, die or retire and then jobs become available, like a really slow game of musical chairs.

What changed? Those averages are about the same excluding lesson income. Nobody said that the average is over $100k, though private average is around $90k a year, but it's certianly attainable. I don't strive to be average at anything I do, so I wouldn't look at what the average guy makes. I'd look at what the top 20% make which is certainly over $100k

I think what a few people have posted (and what i believe) is that there are definitely guys who can make money in the golf industry, but as you say they are the top guys. You posted that there are 25 guys in the area you live making over 100K, that is excellent and good for them (not being sarcastic or anything i mean that genuinely). But there are probably 25 guys at your local marketing firm making that, and that's just one company. And these guys probably aren't in the top 15-20% of the marketing profession, especially considering Florida is a hotbed for golf so the golf pros there are probably better at their jobs comparably speaking to marketing guys

In Quebec for example, i would guess there are more people at my company alone making 100K then there are golf pros in the entire province making that much

This is not to be argumentative, just to put it into perspective. It's awesome for guys like you who have done well in the golf business, i just think an "average" to "above average" employee will make more in other fields than in golf.

There’s plenty of jobs that make more money and have a higher percentage make over $100k. I’m just challenging the premise that you don’t get into the industry to make money and that nobody is successful. I’m not trying to say it’s the best industry to get into if you’re money driven, but you can also make more than your average CPA or engineer (the national average for a head pro is higher than the national average for both).

For instance the proponent group does a survey of its members. The average earnings for associate and full members is just under $150k a year. The PGA does a compensation survey annually and the average, top 20% and bottom 20% can all be found pretty easily. Like I’ve said, it is what you make of it. If you are driven and want to be the best at what you do there is plenty of money to be made. If it’s a job that you just show up to and do what you have to do then you won’t make much and won’t be very happy.

After reading all these salaries I teach is quoting it’s no wonder our head pro is a grumpy SOB ( I’m friends with him so I hear more than most ). They pay him nothing compared to this. Less than $40k a year. And he owns none of the shop. Got through All but final qualifying for the senior pga , missed playing the senior pga by 4 spots. And they wouldn’t even pay for his plane ride to Arizona. Members passed the hat ( on my request ) to pay for his ticket.

I think it matters a lot where you are . I’ve had experience with both ends of the spectrum too. Worked for club Corp during school and the hoops you have to jump through with those people was unreal. Somewhere in the middle would be best.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

^^^

$40k is an abysmal salary for an HP but not uncommon. Not sure the club should be expected to pay for his airfare for senior q school though. Their employee is basically trying to quit and leave them with a job opening. Good on your members though for supporting him.

Iteachgolf isn’t quoting anything that is untrue, but he is portraying the exception as the norm and the expectation. The PGA of America does this as well, and the sham golf schools like GC of America excel at it. They show you Bob Ford and the like and don’t mention the every day assistant pro that has to go tell Mr Gooderschmidt that he can’t wear jeans on the practice tee because his HP is too big of a p***y to do it or the $25k a year guy that passes his PAT and still has to go in the same evening and clean carts because the high school kid got mono at prom.

^^^

$40k is an abysmal salary for an HP but not uncommon. Not sure the club should be expected to pay for his airfare for senior q school though. Their employee is basically trying to quit and leave them with a job opening. Good on your members though for supporting him.

Iteachgolf isn’t quoting anything that is untrue, but he is portraying the exception as the norm and the expectation. The PGA of America does this as well, and the sham golf schools like GC of America excel at it. They show you Bob Ford and the like and don’t mention the every day assistant pro that has to go tell Mr Gooderschmidt that he can’t wear jeans on the practice tee because his HP is too big of a p***y to do it or the $25k a year guy that passes his PAT and still has to go in the same evening and clean carts because the high school kid got mono at prom.

I posted the averages. How is that the exception? The average assistant pro makes $45k a year. The average salary of director of golf, GM, and director of instruction is $100k+. The average head pro makes $70k. Those aren’t exceptions. Those are averages.