Is pursuing a golf career worth it anymore?

jjharrs2

Those are all very different career paths with golf being the only common denominator. Despite all that, I feel like you must have a preference for one of them, but perhaps arrive back at the question "What am I thinking?" by giving it any real consideration. Having been in your position (albeit in a different field), I feel you have to select one where the outcome is one of two things:

1) You enjoy it enough to devote yourself to it 100 percent and make it your life, such that the drawbacks to it are mitigated by your personal level of satisfaction.

2) You make enough money to offset the lack of satisfaction from the parameters of the job.

Two quotes come to mind. The first is from Ellis Marsalis - "To become an artist, it requires a leap of faith. You throw yourself into it completely with no fallback plan, such that you have to succeed."

The other is from David Lee Roth - "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy off unhappiness."

My advice is, select the quote that has the most resonance for you (they are tied to the two suggestions I had) and go at it accordingly.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PGA Club Pro (more likely Asst. Golf Pro) Classroom time, internship, pass the PAT. That stuff take time and effort.

Your starting pay at decent facility - $25k plus part of the fee from the very few (initially) lessons you give. There are quite a few of these jobs available.

Is it worth it?

A) Yes, if you have a good personality, can help improve student's games, and like helping others.

B) Yes. If you're in line to receive a Million dollar inheritance.

I work at a large, upscale club with 8 assistant PGA certified pros. Several make a good living and several don't.

Like others have stated, if you love playing golf, don't get in the golf business....unless that inheritance is coming in soon.

8 assistant pros? What on earth for? They are all pga members, none are apprentices?

Nine actually. 54 hole private club. 900+ golf members. All but one are Class A PGA pros. Ladies league, mens league, senior men, junior league, 30-40 outings annually on Mondays. Hosts a PGA Champions event. It's a huge facility. We do leaderboards for every event. Two bay fitting center. It takes a lot of people to oversee all these things. And, they give a lot of lessons. We'll do over 400-500 rounds on a nice weekend day.

How many clubhouses and/or golf shops?

Get a RE broker's license in a high market value area. Set up shop. Join a country club. Play golf with "prospective clients" every single day. Write off your club dues and golf equipment (might not be completely legal) as business expenses. Sell 3-4 houses per year. Boom, you've got a 50-60k job in the golf business.

This is the best advice I've read in this thread. Spot on if you want to make steady income and play golf at the same tie.

PGA Club Pro (more likely Asst. Golf Pro) Classroom time, internship, pass the PAT. That stuff take time and effort.

Your starting pay at decent facility - $25k plus part of the fee from the very few (initially) lessons you give. There are quite a few of these jobs available.

Is it worth it?

A) Yes, if you have a good personality, can help improve student's games, and like helping others.

I work at a large, upscale club with 8 assistant PGA certified pros. Several make a good living and several don't.

Like others have stated, if you love playing golf, don't get in the golf business....unless that inheritance is coming in soon.

8 assistant pros? What on earth for? They are all pga members, none are apprentices?

Nine actually. 54 hole private club. 900+ golf members. All but one are Class A PGA pros. Ladies league, mens league, senior men, junior league, 30-40 outings annually on Mondays. Hosts a PGA Champions event. It's a huge facility. We do leaderboards for every event. Two bay fitting center. It takes a lot of people to oversee all these things. And, they give a lot of lessons. We'll do over 400-500 rounds on a nice weekend day.

One.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Depending on which segment of the industry you're looking at.

For sure, there are more competition in the golf industry because of the growth of the game from the 1980's. If you're looking at a shot to be on the professional tour, where would any job offer position to make over 7 figures doing a mediocre performance ?

If you're aiming at the servicing segment like running a golf course or golf course maintenance....... the job market is not expending and in some ways shrinking, so more competition these days. It's not like putting a couple of years ( in the turf management it's 4 years ) of education under the belt then land on a decent job automatically.

If you have the passion for the industry not simply looking for a pay check, you could make it work. Same as any other profession, good times and bad times if you love what you do and do what you love and do it well..... you will succeed in your own way.

My advice to my own kids was to find their passion in life and work towards that goal. Competition will always be there, and the line separating good from excellence is often times blurred; make that extra effort to cross that line and you will find success in anything you've determined to do well.

I look at "club pro's" (collectively as everyone who works in the pro shop and practice tee at any club/facility) in a very similar manner as I do a school teacher. The ones who do it as a "higher calling" and not for the money are usually happy and really good at it. If they take the job for money (either of these), you find bitter people who are going through the motions.

Two young guys at our club, probably both mid-20's, who are great at being "club pro's". They are personable, they love to interact with all members and guest and are quick with a tip and both are great with juniors. I suspect they will both either be great head pro's one day, or will realize the hour's don't equal the pay and find another career in 4-5 years.

For me, I love to be at the golf course, but I think having to work and not play would get old in a hurry.

As a graduate of the Golf Academy of America who is now a Finance officer for a fortune 30 company that has nothing to do with the golf industry, you really have to "want it" to make that career path work. You're also going to have to be ok with the fact that, unless you make it as a GM / Director of Golf at a large facility, you are likely never going to have a ton of income and will be working a lot of hours for what you do have.

For some perspective, 8 out of 10 guys I graduated with at GAoA are no longer in the industry (sales and insurance might be 75% of the new career choice) if that tells you anything.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

As a graduate of the Golf Academy of America who is now a Finance officer for a fortune 30 company that has nothing to do with the golf industry, you really have to "want it" to make that career path work. You're also going to have to be ok with the fact that, unless you make it as a GM / Director of Golf at a large facility, you are likely never going to have a ton of income and will be working a lot of hours for what you do have.

For some perspective, 8 out of 10 guys I graduated with at GAoA are no longer in the industry (sales and insurance might be 75% of the new career choice) if that tells you anything.

This is an important post. But it is also good to point out that probably 9 out of 10 guys are glad they pursued the golf career. Those times were probably great, and somewhere along the line connections probably got them their sales or insurance jobs. Did I stick with golf? Nope, but I'm sure happy I went down that path earlier in my life...

This is an important post. But it is also good to point out that probably 9 out of 10 guys are glad they pursued the golf career. Those times were probably great, and somewhere along the line connections probably got them their sales or insurance jobs. Did I stick with golf? Nope, but I'm sure happy I went down that path earlier in my life...

Ditto. Nice post.

I passed the P.A.T. last May at 59 years old (started playing golf at 39). I moved to Austin Tx from California 3 years ago, and thought, maybe it will be better here than Cali.....not!. I have many friends working as pros and all of them don't play golf anymore. The golf business is odd. Most people in it, make small money and rarely play golf. After 3 years at a resort country club, I put in my 2 week notice. I am also a coach at a university which I really enjoy, which will also allow me to finish the PGA program. So I will stay on the coaching side of it. Good luck in your decision!

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

Solid and fair response and I would fall in the 9 out of 10 response for sure as I would've continued to think about it had I not given it a try before going back and finishing my undergrad.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

After reading this thread i feel like I should quit my job in the golf business.... Been in it 34 years and love it. I dont play a lot, I enjoy teaching. It doesnt bother me that I play once a week....I really never got in it to play. I have been at the same course for 34 years. My dad always told me to pick a career path that I love. I think I made the correct decision.

Is it worth it?

One.

Prestonwood in Raleigh, NC?

After reading this thread i feel like I should quit my job in the golf business.... Been in it 34 years and love it. I dont play a lot, I enjoy teaching. It doesnt bother me that I play once a week....I really never got in it to play. I have been at the same course for 34 years. My dad always told me to pick a career path that I love. I think I made the correct decision.

No one else’s experience matters. Glad you love it, congrats on a great career. Also very thankful people like you are the ones that make a career out of it, thanks for making our game great.

10 years of my life was wasted in the "biz". I started in the shop and worked hard, was a PGA Member by 25, had a decent gig at a 45 hole Private facility, and a pretty packed Lesson schedule. The most I ever made in a year was around $45k. Here was the kicker for me: I woke up one Monday (my only day off most weeks) and had to play in a Ladies Inter-Club 40 miles away from the club in 40 degree windy conditions. I stopped by the Naval Recruiters office on the way back home that day, enlisted at 31 years old, and never looked back.

I now make 3 times what I made in the golf business thanks to my 6 years in. I also played more golf in the Navy then I ever did as a Pro and it set me up in an industry doing things I never imagined I would do. In my post-Naval career I'm now the nicest member at my Private club, I know those guys' pain.

The golf business is a succubus, I've never worked so many hours in my life for such little respect or compensation. There's other options out there if you want to play/teach/sell for a living.

The best way to get sick of golf is to work in it

Ran an off-course range/shop for 6 years and while I enjoyed 10% of the people who came in our facility the other 90% were absolute dicks

These kids going to the golf management schools are deluded, may as well get a liberal arts degree that at least qualifies you to manage a starbucks. You're not all getting big dollar club pro jobs once you graduate. You're all going to be Assistants working dawn to dusk for $14 an hour.

I saw a suggestion of building a top golf franchise... lol, 18 million to start. And owning a top golf is no closer to being in the golf industry than owning a bowling alley would be. They're the same business.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Hate to say it, but listen to the pessimists.

There are pretty much zero jobs in the golf industry that combine the following:

- Play a lot

- Work less than a 60 hour week

- Make more than $50k per year

- Keep your significant other happy

Frankly it's a minor miracle if you can find a job in the golf industry that combines two of those, and if you need to even think about practicing to pass your PAT there's zero chance you're good enough to play on even a crappy regional mini tour.

If you really love the game you're better off as a banker, lawyer, real estate agent, drywaller, ditch digger, or beer truck driver. It's a brutal industry, has been for decades, and is only going to get worse.

Sorry to be a downer about it.

Seconding this as I used to be in the business. Long hours, little pay, and no weekends off in season. You're expected every weekend in season, and have time for vacations off season. Sucked when all my friends were playing on the weekends or talking golf trips, and I had to work the Tuesday-Sunday. You might get a day or two here or there, but don't expect many.

Working in the industry turned my passion for the game into a job, and I started to hate it. Got out 7 years ago and couldn't be happier. If your passion is playing, then don't look at the teaching or club pro side. I know a lot of people who were in and got out, and couldn't be happier. And I know guys still in who wish they could get out (and tell me to wise up when I tell them I am thinking about getting back in).

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

10 years of my life was wasted in the "biz". I started in the shop and worked hard, was a PGA Member by 25, had a decent gig at a 45 hole Private facility, and a pretty packed Lesson schedule. The most I ever made in a year was around $45k. Here was the kicker for me: I woke up one Monday (my only day off most weeks) and had to play in a Ladies Inter-Club 40 miles away from the club in 40 degree windy conditions. I stopped by the Naval Recruiters office on the way back home that day, enlisted at 31 years old, and never looked back.

I now make 3 times what I made in the golf business thanks to my 6 years in. I also played more golf in the Navy then I ever did as a Pro and it set me up in an industry doing things I never imagined I would do. In my post-Naval career I'm now the nicest member at my Private club, I know those guys' pain.

The golf business is a succubus, I've never worked so many hours in my life for such little respect or compensation. There's other options out there if you want to play/teach/sell for a living.

No way you had a packed lesson schedule and only made $45k a year. 10 lessons a week for 50 weeks at $60 an hour (way below average) would be $30,000 in lesson income alone. 10 lessons a week is NOT packed. The assistant pros here teaching 10 lessons a week are making $75k and that’s in one of the lowest paying sections in the country.

As someone who used to work full time in a shop as a fitter and sales manager, I probably wouldn't advise it to most people. The best case scenario is to either get a job with an OEM as a rep but then you're gone all the time or to be in charge of a store but there are a ton of headaches working in any kind of retail and the fact that you get to talk about golf all day can only help so much. Either way, the money isn't that great but I have to say there are benefits. Staff deals were pretty easy to come by so you always had new clubs and some companies will give you products to try so that you can tell customers. it was fun for a while but not something I would do long-term.

Recently getting back into golf after letting some dust collect on the clubs for two years. I'm 29 and have been playing pretty much my entire life. I'm currently in the middle of exploring a career change, and evaluating whether or not a career in golf is worth pursuing. I'm mainly thinking of the following options:

- Playing pro...obviously. (I know I've got a TON of work to even make it on the minis.) This is the ultimate dream, but I know, in reality, it probably won't happen.

- Teaching pro. I've given informal lessons, and I can't tell you how many swing tips friends have asked for in my life. I'm fairly proficient at analyzing swings and dissecting the problems. I used to work at a top 100 U.S course as basically a peon. One day our teaching pro came out and we were just watching people hit on the range. He asked me about three different swings and I told him about all of them. He basically said, "Yeah those are all correct. Now, I've gotta go teach that first person a lesson, and I'm going to teach him exactly what you just pointed out."

- Club Pro. I've worked a ton of customer service jobs, so I'm pretty proficient in that skill. I've also run my own business for 6+ years, so I get the business side of things.

- Equipment Rep. I'm not a huge fan of sales, but I'm sure there's some jobs in the equipment industry that doesn't involve cold calls and sales.

The main thing I'm wondering is when I look out 20-30 years from now, I really don't see golf being in a good place. I know that a ton of the money spent on golf is by people over 60, so when they die or get too old to play, what will take their place? Will people my age pick up the slack?

My wife and I are in a decent financial position. We have a few student loans, but that's about it. She is in a stable industry that won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Basically, I'd love to find a career that I can make around 50-60k in and be happy. We don't have a luxurious lifestyle, so with her income plus my 50-60k, we should be able to save up enough to retire before we are 80....hopefully... :stink:

I've got enough talent/resources to be able to pass the PAT and all the PGA certification stuff, but just wondering if it's really worth it if I'll be in a career crisis when I'm 55 years old. Any of you guys pondering these thoughts? I mean, maybe we can just hope Tiger wins majors until he's 60, then we'll be all good.

I hear ya fully with your thoughts and I can say from my own personal experience that's it's never too late for a change, at anytime in life, it's all a mindset. Background, I come from a family of golfers and my grandfather was a PGA Professional and Tour player, back before there was a Tour like we know it today. In his time being a head pro was a lower end job, not like today where for the most part it's looked at as a top profession. I wanted to follow in his footsteps as he was the one who started me in the game. I was fortunate enough to land a caddy job in HS at a local club that I'm a member at today ironically. I played HS golf and was given a partial scholarship to play golf and attend the PGM Program at Mississippi State, At the time when I went to school there were only 2 schools throughout the country that had this program. I went for a year and left, didn't like Starkville and missed home. I was able to transfer my scholarship to a school back home and and walk on to the golf team. I had fun here and was able to play golf. At the time I still wanted to be a Club Professional and got hired at another course where I was able to re-enter the PGM program through the Golf Director of the facility where I worked. I moved up to assistant and passed my PAT, 2nd time taking it, and thought this was my future. I really enjoyed the work, especially the people you meet, you can form a ton of friendships and connections working in the golf business.

After graduation from college, I needed to finish my PGM Certification and I hit a wall. Tons of hours and little pay, this was back in the early 90's, I needed a change, so through connections I was able to land a spot with Pro Golf America, like Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore today, and spend many years there fitting and working the business retail side of the industry. Fast forward some years, wife, kids, and wanting another change, I decided to leave the golf profession and use my degree from school, engineering, and started down that road. I won't lie, that there are days I miss working in the business. The day to day of "Working a Normal job", can definitely get stale. With golf there were constant changes day to day. Sometimes I look back and wish that I had stayed my course and became a Professional but there are other days that I don't miss it. I think the biggest thing that I miss is the connections through golf that I made. Don't get me wrong, my golf game is better now that I'm not working in the business, playing more, but I don't get the latest and greatest at PUD or free.

If this is something that is driving you, assessing your current life status, maybe give it a try? I got out of the business in the early 2000's when I saw a downturn in the business, Pro Golf of America is no longer a player, but there are times I think I would've made a good Club Pro, like my grandfather. Best words I can give is it's never too late for a change. Hell, I'm planning to head to Law school once my youngest is off to college. I hope I've helped your thinking on whatever you intend to try. Good luck.

No way you had a packed lesson schedule and only made $45k a year. 10 lessons a week for 50 weeks at $60 an hour (way below average) would be $30,000 in lesson income alone. 10 lessons a week is NOT packed. The assistant pros here teaching 10 lessons a week are making $75k and that's in one of the lowest paying sections in the country.

How much does the head pro take though at a CC

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

As someone who is in digital marketing at a Fortune 100, I would totally leave my job to go work for a golf company in some digital marketing role. The biggest obstacle is getting a digital marketing job with a company when I'm out of state. Some companies are leery of hiring someone who would need to relocate.

BRB, checking the marketing job postings for every golf company I can think of...

No way you had a packed lesson schedule and only made $45k a year. 10 lessons a week for 50 weeks at $60 an hour (way below average) would be $30,000 in lesson income alone. 10 lessons a week is NOT packed. The assistant pros here teaching 10 lessons a week are making $75k and that's in one of the lowest paying sections in the country.

Normally 100%.

Depends where you land. I have friends who are salaried making no money and working 70+ hours/week. Their love for playing the game is gone due to no time to play.

I'm fortunate at my club. I rarely work over 40 hours and am encouraged(expected) to play and practice as much as possible to keep my game sharp. My job is often to play golf with members, and I run all of the hard goods and club fitting which is my true passion. I eventually will be fitting full time which can be lucrative.

We also never really do monday events so I can compete every week in section events.

I do know, however, that this is NOT the norm for most assistants in this business. I've landed at a club that has many perks that simply don't show up on that paycheck, and I love what I do which you can't put a price on.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

I spent 12 yrs in the industry all at the same place. Honestly, I would still be there if family & children weren't in the equation. I was paid well for being a 1st Asst/Golf Manager, but my duties were much more that the typical pro. I loved the long days, Saturdays, Sundays but once my first son was born, I knew my days were numbered. It opened a lot of doors for me for what I currently do (sales) but I am outside the business now. I did experience burnout before the end, and it did take me about two years to finally re-engage into the game (playing for fun & not score, customer golf, etc). With so many properties becoming more "corporate" driven, the allure of the old-fashioned model of a Head Pro is quickly diminishing. Personally, the golf business is a wonderful training ground for customer service, dedication to the job, people skills and overall business. I was fortunate to be a the right place/right time to land what I have now (better hours, way more $) but I do miss the industry from time to time.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5 (16.5) +1/2”

Ping G425 Max 7

Ping G430 #4h

Ping Blueprint-S 5-W

Vokey SM10 50f, 56d, 60d

TM Spider 3x

Nothing generally