2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Culling the herd - Still have too many clubs

So this past weekend I culled the herd a bit and took about 50 clubs I collected last year to the local thrift. After doing so, I can still outfit two foursomes, 6 with vintage, one with a modern set, and one hickory (me, of course). All of the clubs were acquired between fall of 2016 & fall of 2017 when the sickness really took hold. I had no idea I acquired so many clubs...

This year's experiment is to play only with vintage clubs, and to try to whittle the herd down by half again at the end of the season. My plan is to put the modern set into mothballs for my retirement years, which are still about 7-10 years away. That leaves 3 sets of vintage Wilson clubs to decide between. Keeping the Pings for my son, and the Hickories for my own fun. The rest of the various clubs and spare woods might just go into storage too.

It will be interesting to see if a favorite set emerges and what it looks like. I am going to try to be as impartial as possible, and quarantine any misbehaving clubs so they do not infect the others. Also looking for ideas on how to pass along the clubs I no longer want to someone who will use them. Maybe gifting them to a couple of golfing buddies would be a good idea. Some are so nice I hate to part with them. But eventually I will have to when we downsize, so I need to get busy.

League starts tomorrow, but not really. Still too much snow on the course, it will be cancelled. It's a new league for me, so showing up with 1960's clubs ought to be interesting. I'm only carrying 9 clubs in a vintage bag, pulled on a vintage cart. Might throw in a spare driver just in case someone wants to give it a whack.

This season is going to be fun! And Wisconsin Golfers: Anyone interested in a meet up again this year? Let me know!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Dcohenour.

I've followed a similar route and am also playing only vintage or hickory this year, almost all of my iron sets were ebay buys within the last 12 months, about 20 of them, and I'll be switching them around through the year. To go with these I've a mixed bag of woods, mostly laminates with a few persimmons thrown in.

Sure, some will play better than others but my golfing mantra is "it's not all about the score" and as long as I get enjoyment from playing them I'll continue.

Most of mine are by UK manufacturers so not readily recognised as classics but I fear that loads of these are being dumped now so I'm also doing my bit to keep the names alive.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Jiggered: Good on you! Last summer the best experience I had was showing a couple of kids and their dad what a 100 year old club looked like as we crossed paths on one of the tee boxes at the local par three.

I like your attitude to the game, and concur. One thing that would help the vintage game grow (I think) would be to emphasize the enjoyment that comes from playing traditional courses with the clubs they were designed for. Most of the modern courses (around here at least) are designed for the bomb & gouge game. I like playing the older courses that reward a lower trajectory, more accurate shot, and were designed in the first half of the 20th century. Having a few extra clubs in the bag for folks to try out might be a way to facilitate that.

For me, it's not just about saving money on equipment or doing nostalgia per se, but about fitting a course and a round to my skill level and enjoying the day with like minded friends. I think that's what we all got out of our outings in Wisconsin last year. Hopefully we'll be able to continue that and it will grow.

Well seems this club illness has also worked its way south into Chicago.

Doing some Spring cleaning in the apartment and I forced myself to total up the clubs. Seems I have 4 full sets of hickories and 3 sets of vintage clubs. Then I can add up another 10-12 odd clubs that I just couldn't live without at the time. Thankfully I had sold off the modern clubs before we moved into the city. If this trend of club acquisition virus continues it may be time to call in the CDC for help (or an "intervention").

My thought for this season (assuming it ever warms up for more than 2 days in a row) is to alternate rounds between hickory and vintage. Hopefully I can get up to Lawsonia in September and catch another few hickory events this summer.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Doing some Spring cleaning in the apartment and I forced myself to total up the clubs. Seems I have 4 full sets of hickories and 3 sets of vintage clubs. Then I can add up another 10-12 odd clubs that I just couldn't live without at the time. Thankfully I had sold off the modern clubs before we moved into the city. If this trend of club acquisition virus continues it may be time to call in the CDC for help (or an "intervention").

My thought for this season (assuming it ever warms up for more than 2 days in a row) is to alternate rounds between hickory and vintage. Hopefully I can get up to Lawsonia in September and catch another few hickory events this summer.

There was some talk last year of an outing in Northern Illinois. Would that interest you?

There was some talk last year of an outing in Northern Illinois. Would that interest you?

Northern Illinois would be great. Not a gutty guy so that cuts down the number of Wisconsin events for me although did play several years at Whistling Straits and played with the group at Erin Hills - what a hoot that was.

• 2 weeks later...

I've sold 399 clubs in the last three years, and am now down to my last 987 .... sickness ? what sickness ? :)

Knowing that you have precisely 987 clubs, that's a sickness. I have... one set and (ahem) a few spares

My problem is that my "spares" seem to birthing spares of their own...... every time I start culling I seem to find a few new clubs I don't recall how, when, why I have them.

Jiggered: Good on you! Last summer the best experience I had was showing a couple of kids and their dad what a 100 year old club looked like as we crossed paths on one of the tee boxes at the local par three.

I like your attitude to the game, and concur. One thing that would help the vintage game grow (I think) would be to emphasize the enjoyment that comes from playing traditional courses with the clubs they were designed for. Most of the modern courses (around here at least) are designed for the bomb & gouge game. I like playing the older courses that reward a lower trajectory, more accurate shot, and were designed in the first half of the 20th century. Having a few extra clubs in the bag for folks to try out might be a way to facilitate that.

For me, it's not just about saving money on equipment or doing nostalgia per se, but about fitting a course and a round to my skill level and enjoying the day with like minded friends. I think that's what we all got out of our outings in Wisconsin last year. Hopefully we'll be able to continue that and it will grow.

Agree with you about growing the vintage game. Around here there is absolutely no interest. The retirees just do their thing and state they could not hit blades 30 years ago. The Tourist golfers with their prim and proper and latest and greatest are horrified as to "how in the hell can you hit that ancient rusty stuff" or I also hear if you had a set of new insert name clubs you could really play. Folks around here just don't get it. And yes around here I have to pick my courses to play vintage equipment. I still do ok on just about any course with the vintage irons as long as I "cheat" and carry my modern driver 3 wood and gasp hybrid.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Agree with you about growing the vintage game. Around here there is absolutely no interest. The retirees just do their thing and state they could not hit blades 30 years ago. The Tourist golfers with their prim and proper and latest and greatest are horrified as to "how in the hell can you hit that ancient rusty stuff" or I also hear if you had a set of new insert name clubs you could really play. Folks around here just don't get it. And yes around here I have to pick my courses to play vintage equipment. I still do ok on just about any course with the vintage irons as long as I "cheat" and carry my modern driver 3 wood and gasp hybrid.

I guess I am technically cheating by carrying the Louisville Golf Smart Driver with the graphite shaft. I would like to carry a hybrid too, but am going to try my 4 wood for that purpose. There is this TaylorMade 19 degree teensy metal wood that works well out of the rough. I think it was a fore runner to the modern hybrid. That might sneak into the bag when I am not looking. Earlier this year I picked up an nylon Wilson bag and a pull cart to match from the early eighties. That's where my vintage set lives now. And If I can just finish the remodeling project I am neck deep into, maybe I can get out and play, now that the snow is finally melted....

Stu is correct about absolutely no interest in our neck of the woods. Have a few guys every now and then try it for the novelty of it, but, to really consider playing the vintage gear on a regular basis, no way!!!

They are all drinking the cool aid!!!

I recently brought 2 PB Citations that had been reshafted with Apex 5 shafts for the pros at the course to give a go with. They are still sitting idle.

"They are all drinking the cool aid!!!"

[Rant] I think I saw a post the other day about the so called game improvement clubs, etc, and people upgrading equipment every year. I have been golfing since the 1970's, and in all that time have never thought that I needed to upgrade equipment every year. In fact, I don't know anyone who thinks that way. So whomever they are aiming their Kool-aid at, it ain't me.

My foray into game improvement clubs, and the subsequent testing period, gave me enough data to know that you can't buy a swing and led me to the desire to cull them from the herd. Buying them was a mistake. I wish I had never spent the money. By way of contrast, buying discarded vintage clubs at the thrift store or swapping them with friends has been infinitely cheaper and more satisfying. Culling the non-performers from the herd is not nearly as painful, since one never knows what one's next trip to the thrift store will yield.

Going back in time is not for everyone, but I wonder sometimes how many more people would enjoy golf if the "bling factor" was taken out of it. And since the vast majority of equipment is made in China, who really benefits from the push to upgrade the bling? Personally I don't enjoy playing with people who must have the latest wiz-bang equipment. I'd rather get to know someone who isn't so focused on their equipment and fiddle-farting around with their swing, but those that like a little friendly competition and fellowship regardless of what each one of us is playing. I find that mostly with those who play vintage equipment, and who aren't so worried about scratching their new driver, and who like to swap clubs with me during a round. That's part of the fun if you ask me.

I've had clubs given to me and I've given clubs away. I've seen other guys give whole sets away just to help someone else enjoy quality older equipment. Anything that can be done to lower the cost of entry to the game is a good thing, imo. That includes lower greens fees. Culling the herd simply let's the equipment return to the thrift store, where hopefully it's sold again to someone else who has "the bug". The charity wins, the giver wins, and the future forum member wins. In the end, the game wins.

[End of Rant]

:to_become_senile:

Well said, Doug! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Stu is correct about absolutely no interest in our neck of the woods. Have a few guys every now and then try it for the novelty of it, but, to really consider playing the vintage gear on a regular basis, no way!!!

I recently brought 2 PB Citations that had been reshafted with Apex 5 shafts for the pros at the course to give a go with. They are still sitting idle.

Apex 5 that ain't a golf shaft that is rebar!! :taunt: I did have one fellow a few years back that would play vintage played a Citation Driver and Toney Penna irons. I remember when I met him I had the VIPs in the bag but a metal driver and 3 wood. He wanted to play and made the remark sorta dryly "well you are sorta vintage" I told him give me 20 minutes and I would be all vintage. Went back to the house and grabbed the FC 4000s with the Penna Driver and H&B 4 wood. They were already bagged up and ready to go in the walking bag. I returned and he said dryly "that's more like it" Turned out to be a nice fellow. Played walking vintage rounds with him for about a year or so then he moved back to his native Michigan for family reasons. Ran into a fellow from down your way about a year ago. He had a newer Ping walking bag but really had a mix of clubs no metals or moderns. Had a custom persimmon driver and a couple of hickory shafted clubs and a hickory shafted "Calamity Jane" style putter. He hit all of them pretty decent. He was a younger guy so I played from the rear tees with him. I think he shot 2 or 3 over. I think I shot about 85 or so. Yeah the rear tees for me anymore with persimmon and wet fairways had me hitting quite a few driver 4 wood 1 irons into par 4s and the 4 wood into a couple of Par 3s. But it was fun.

"They are all drinking the cool aid!!!"

[Rant] I think I saw a post the other day about the so called game improvement clubs, etc, and people upgrading equipment every year. I have been golfing since the 1970's, and in all that time have never thought that I needed to upgrade equipment every year. In fact, I don't know anyone who thinks that way. So whomever they are aiming their Kool-aid at, it ain't me.

My foray into game improvement clubs, and the subsequent testing period, gave me enough data to know that you can't buy a swing and led me to the desire to cull them from the herd. Buying them was a mistake. I wish I had never spent the money. By way of contrast, buying discarded vintage clubs at the thrift store or swapping them with friends has been infinitely cheaper and more satisfying. Culling the non-performers from the herd is not nearly as painful, since one never knows what one's next trip to the thrift store will yield.

Going back in time is not for everyone, but I wonder sometimes how many more people would enjoy golf if the "bling factor" was taken out of it. And since the vast majority of equipment is made in China, who really benefits from the push to upgrade the bling? Personally I don't enjoy playing with people who must have the latest wiz-bang equipment. I'd rather get to know someone who isn't so focused on their equipment and fiddle-farting around with their swing, but those that like a little friendly competition and fellowship regardless of what each one of us is playing. I find that mostly with those who play vintage equipment, and who aren't so worried about scratching their new driver, and who like to swap clubs with me during a round. That's part of the fun if you ask me.

I've had clubs given to me and I've given clubs away. I've seen other guys give whole sets away just to help someone else enjoy quality older equipment. Anything that can be done to lower the cost of entry to the game is a good thing, imo. That includes lower greens fees. Culling the herd simply let's the equipment return to the thrift store, where hopefully it's sold again to someone else who has "the bug". The charity wins, the giver wins, and the future forum member wins. In the end, the game wins.

[End of Rant]

:to_become_senile:

Sadly today the "bling" factor is a way of life and not just golf. I have never been a bling type person even when I was younger. We are in the end stages of Harley week this weekend and I look at some of the "blingy" bikes. My bikes had road scars and primer and were rode hard in all types of weather. Most of them are trailered down for bike week now. Shoot back in the day I rode a hardtailed Sportster from Charlotte NC to Sturgis SD one year for the big rally there. LOL I laugh at these guys with the fancy shiny 4 wheel drive diesel pick ups. Off road ha ha-- Saw one the other night go out of his way to miss a water puddle in the Wally World parking lot--- I laughed my butt off and my wife was with me and said "don't you do it" She knew as you guys darn well know me. I proceeded to run the mini Bulldog straight through it WFO! They looked shocked! My wife asked me "when are you going to grow up?" I told her NEVER. Went to the Home Depot one day and got some stuff and the kid helping load it was being real cautious. I told him I appreciated his respect and caution around my truck but there was nothing he could possibly do to hurt that truck. I further added this is a TRUCK not a show piece. I mean it is battered but mechanically sound with good brakes and tires even if they are mismatched (sorta like my golf bags). The kid grinned from ear to ear and said "I think this is a neat old truck" I tipped him $5.

For me in a nutshell I do my own thing and really could give two hoots less what someone else does or does not do. I love playing my old rusty antique golf clubs

Reading all this makes me smile. I really do love you guys.

I have given away clubs for years and will continue to for years.

We may not be "with it" but we don't really give a sh_t!

It does make me sad that we can't find more people willing to try playing vintage with. I know I tried for years down here to generate interest, even running ads on craigslist, all to no avail. They all have the "you have to own the best to be the best" attitude here.

At least that makes them fun to beat with the old stuff, :D

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

So this past weekend I culled the herd a bit and took about 50 clubs I collected last year to the local thrift. After doing so, I can still outfit two foursomes, 6 with vintage, one with a modern set, and one hickory (me, of course). All of the clubs were acquired between fall of 2016 & fall of 2017 when the sickness really took hold. I had no idea I acquired so many clubs...

This year's experiment is to play only with vintage clubs, and to try to whittle the herd down by half again at the end of the season. My plan is to put the modern set into mothballs for my retirement years, which are still about 7-10 years away. That leaves 3 sets of vintage Wilson clubs to decide between. Keeping the Pings for my son, and the Hickories for my own fun. The rest of the various clubs and spare woods might just go into storage too.

It will be interesting to see if a favorite set emerges and what it looks like. I am going to try to be as impartial as possible, and quarantine any misbehaving clubs so they do not infect the others. Also looking for ideas on how to pass along the clubs I no longer want to someone who will use them. Maybe gifting them to a couple of golfing buddies would be a good idea. Some are so nice I hate to part with them. But eventually I will have to when we downsize, so I need to get busy.

League starts tomorrow, but not really. Still too much snow on the course, it will be cancelled. It's a new league for me, so showing up with 1960's clubs ought to be interesting. I'm only carrying 9 clubs in a vintage bag, pulled on a vintage cart. Might throw in a spare driver just in case someone wants to give it a whack.

This season is going to be fun! And Wisconsin Golfers: Anyone interested in a meet up again this year? Let me know!

Love to get a group together for an outing........not supposed to snow again until June 3.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Apex 5 that ain't a golf shaft that is rebar!! :taunt: I did have one fellow a few years back that would play vintage played a Citation Driver and Toney Penna irons. I remember when I met him I had the VIPs in the bag but a metal driver and 3 wood. He wanted to play and made the remark sorta dryly "well you are sorta vintage" I told him give me 20 minutes and I would be all vintage. Went back to the house and grabbed the FC 4000s with the Penna Driver and H&B 4 wood. They were already bagged up and ready to go in the walking bag. I returned and he said dryly "that's more like it" Turned out to be a nice fellow. Played walking vintage rounds with him for about a year or so then he moved back to his native Michigan for family reasons. Ran into a fellow from down your way about a year ago. He had a newer Ping walking bag but really had a mix of clubs no metals or moderns. Had a custom persimmon driver and a couple of hickory shafted clubs and a hickory shafted "Calamity Jane" style putter. He hit all of them pretty decent. He was a younger guy so I played from the rear tees with him. I think he shot 2 or 3 over. I think I shot about 85 or so. Yeah the rear tees for me anymore with persimmon and wet fairways had me hitting quite a few driver 4 wood 1 irons into par 4s and the 4 wood into a couple of Par 3s. But it was fun.

I picked a set of Hogan GCD's at a GW in Virginia (business trip) that have the black chrome Apex 5 shafts. Re-bar is an accurate description. Don't know what I was thinking, but it was a set of a complete set 3-SW. Cost me more to ship them back home than I paid for them.....lesson learned.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Reading all this makes me smile. I really do love you guys.

I have given away clubs for years and will continue to for years.

We may not be "with it" but we don't really give a sh_t!

It does make me sad that we can't find more people willing to try playing vintage with. I know I tried for years down here to generate interest, even running ads on craigslist, all to no avail. They all have the "you have to own the best to be the best" attitude here.

At least that makes them fun to beat with the old stuff, :D

Makes my day when I spank their butts with the old rusty stuff

I think you need a certain mind set to appreciate older clubs.

I like old stuff, full stop. It has much more character and is usually much better made, you can see the craftsmanship in it.

I use old cutlery, an old beer glass, old tools, etc, etc, so when I came across vintage golf it was love at first sight.

One thing I think that prevents many from having a go is that the marketing for modern clubs, and that's all types of clubs from putters through to drivers, has made people think that they wouldn't be able to play with a vintage club that doesn't have the latest wonder features to help them out.

On another forum I made a quick list of some of the terminology being used by manufacturers in their 2018 driver offerings:

• Twist Face
  • Y Track
  • Hammerhead Slot
  • Jailbreak technology :o
  • Active Recoil Channel 2.0
  • Radial Speed Face 2.0
  • SureFit CG
  • Power Holes
  • Forged SP700 Ti Face
  • Geocoustic construction
  • 360 Aero
  • Green Means GO! Fast Fit Technology 3.0 :haha:
  • Power Wave Sole
  • HiBore Crown
  • Flex-Fin Technology

Folks these days are scared to try anything that's just a good, honest club, no matter how well it's been made.

It's a bit sad really.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

I like old stuff, full stop. It has much more character and is usually much better made, you can see the craftsmanship in it.

I use old cutlery, an old beer glass, old tools, etc, etc, so when I came across vintage golf it was love at first sight.

One thing I think that prevents many from having a go is that the marketing for modern clubs, and that's all types of clubs from putters through to drivers, has made people think that they wouldn't be able to play with a vintage club that doesn't have the latest wonder features to help them out.

On another forum I made a quick list of some of the terminology being used by manufacturers in their 2018 driver offerings:

• Twist Face
  • Y Track
  • Hammerhead Slot
  • Radial Speed Face 2.0
  • SureFit CG
  • Power Holes
  • Forged SP700 Ti Face
  • 360 Aero
  • Power Wave Sole
  • HiBore Crown
  • Flex-Fin Technology

Folks these days are scared to try anything that's just a good, honest club, no matter how well it's been made.

It's a bit sad really.

Make me wonder about starting my own driver company--- The Stu Golf company no frills fads or gimmicks just an honest club. Also supplied one roll of lead tape to make adjustments. Any grip or shaft you want. We will even paint it any color you want

• Twist Face
  • Y Track
  • Hammerhead Slot
  • Radial Speed Face 2.0
  • SureFit CG
  • Power Holes
  • Forged SP700 Ti Face
  • 360 Aero
  • Power Wave Sole
  • HiBore Crown
  • Flex-Fin Technology

It's a bit sad really.

Make me wonder about starting my own driver company--- The Stu Golf company no frills fads or gimmicks just an honest club. Also supplied one roll of lead tape to make adjustments. Any grip or shaft you want. We will even paint it any color you want

Sadly Stu, I don't know if it would work. The Fonz may have said it best:

"Bull makes the world go 'round"

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Yes, I suggest going the other direction. Find a lady crafter who can 'Bedazzle' and apply Glitter.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

We will even paint it any color you want

rattle can only

Absolutely but the best rattle can paint Krylon