2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland Veteran Tips, Advice, etc?

What would I not miss?

Do a distillery tour or two. But not Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich. Somewhere small like Blair Athol or Edradour. Recognizing that 90% of what you see in Scotland is owned by Diageo, work yourself into the road less traveled (even though that too, is owned by Diageo).

We are planning to do 2 or 3 distillery tours...Glenmornangie is basically the only one near Dornoch right? Interested why you don't recommend?

How about Speyside - we are staying 2 nights there and considering The Balvenie, MaCallan & Glenlivet - any thoughts on those 3?

I'm not a big scotch guy - its for my Dad...he's love to taste a bunch of different ones. We will probably stop in to almost all of them - but only do 2 tours

thanks

Glenmorangie is the equivalent of coming to the United States to visit the Coors brewery in Colorado, when there are hundreds of supercool microbreweries.

Around Dornoch, Balblair would be my choice over Glenmorangie.

Speyside, distilleries are as common as Starbucks in the US - one on every corner. Again, I’d seek out the ones you’ve never heard of instead of chasing the buses to Macallan.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you take your hat off when you go inside anywhere. It is somewhat offensive to Scots to wear your hat inside.

Read Tommy's Honor prior to going. Don't cop out and watch the movie!

I enjoyed the challenge of driving a standard on wrong side of road, but got an automatic in London this winter - much easier. We love exploring and going off beaten path.

Don't chase balls in gorse bushes. Spikes are huge.

Learn to play a knock down shot. Take two to three clubs more, take half swing and hold off release. Learn to love the ground game. At Cruden bay I hit a drive down middle that ended 40 yards from my starting line and spin was against wind. It was a draw that was pushed hard right. Wind was at least 40 mph sustained with gusts to 70. It was insane. The wind really blew when I was there. Old course was shut down for a day when I visited. Learn to hit the ball low even with the wind. It is fun though. I hit a 570 par 5 in 2 with a driver and wedge. Crazy.

Most yardage useful is front of green. Usually want to land it here. Greens are super firm and you get a lot more bounce then the air game played in states. Middle of green is never bad, even on some of huge greens. I took a lot wedge and hit a few times out of deep bunkers. I think good to have.

Use yardage book. Good to know bunker location off Tee. Many of fairway bunkers are a play out sideways.

Have a beer after round in clubhouse and talk to members. They will appreciate talking about the course, golf in general, restraunts and basically, everything. I found Scots to be very friendly and helpful.

If have time I really liked Edinburgh castle. Great views. Beautiful castle. Crown jewels of Scotland.

Things closed early on Sundays, even restraunts, if I remember correctly. Indian ones seemed to stay open.

Tough to play to your handicap in wind and playing course for first time. I like playing a course a few times because easier to score second time. But everyone to get to a new course.

Have a great time. It's a wonderful place. As soon as my kids are older, I plan on going to Scotland or Ireland every year. Golf at its purist.

• 3 weeks later...

Studying this sub-forum for the 1000th time - wheels up in 7 days!

My flight leaves around 8 PM on 15 June, 9 days away, I can't wait.

Spent last Saturday and Sunday with my oldest daughter at a clinic of Monte's and with all things golf all day for two days/lots of time together talking about the trip while we were there - all of a sudden I was ready to go!

Monday my phone rings and a beautiful Scottish voice from Crail just wants to let me know they were confirming moving our tee time later on the 23rd (had to make room for everyone to see puffins on the Isle of May, lol).

Today my phone rings and a beautiful Scottish voice from the company that manages the house we are in for a week in Dornoch just wants to check in and make sure I'd received the entry codes/answer any questions before we leave, etc.

Expecting to hear from one of our own Scottish wrxers we are hoping meet up with and play Moray Old - things are coming together!

We'll get up to Dornoch the night before Father's Day, and I can't think of a better Father's Day Sunday than the Cathedral, a great lunch and an afternoon 18 on Royal Dornoch.

These folks are just nothing but nice!

10 pm June 20th for me! :D

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

We'll get up to Dornoch the night before Father's Day, and I can't think of a better Father's Day Sunday than the Cathedral, a great lunch and an afternoon 18 on Royal Dornoch.

We'll have Father's Day at Prestwick, a late morning tee time. Then on with the coat and tie, a drink or two at the clubhouse, maybe dinner there. Its good to be within walking distance.

You could end YOUR Father's Day by sampling whisky at the bar in the Castle Hotel. One of the widest selections I remember seeing, especially for such a small town. Royal Dornoch is my favorite golf course in the world, among those I've played, and the town is delightful.

We'll have Father's Day at Prestwick, a late morning tee time. Then on with the coat and tie, a drink or two at the clubhouse, maybe dinner there. Its good to be within walking distance.

You could end YOUR Father's Day by sampling whisky at the bar in the Castle Hotel. One of the widest selections I remember seeing, especially for such a small town. Royal Dornoch is my favorite golf course in the world, among those I've played, and the town is delightful.

Sorry to derail, but is that Johnny Crowder in your avatar?

Spent last Saturday and Sunday with my oldest daughter at a clinic of Monte's and with all things golf all day for two days/lots of time together talking about the trip while we were there - all of a sudden I was ready to go!

Monday my phone rings and a beautiful Scottish voice from Crail just wants to let me know they were confirming moving our tee time later on the 23rd (had to make room for everyone to see puffins on the Isle of May, lol).

Today my phone rings and a beautiful Scottish voice from the company that manages the house we are in for a week in Dornoch just wants to check in and make sure I'd received the entry codes/answer any questions before we leave, etc.

Expecting to hear from one of our own Scottish wrxers we are hoping meet up with and play Moray Old - things are coming together!

Hope you have a great trip.

Moray Old is my favourite course here in Scotland.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

My daughter has identified the Castle Hotel bar as a must!

My daughter has identified the Castle Hotel bar as a must!

I’m partial to the Royal Golf Hotel bar; but the Castle is good too.

I highly recommend (at either place) giving the bartender £50 (or whatever you think is the right number) and asking him to put together a single malt tasting. I see so many guys freeze up in front of the selection and just choose Johnnie black. The barkeep will steer you into some amazing choices that you never would have made on your own.

Sorry to derail, but is that Johnny Crowder in your avatar?

That's actually me, taken about 10 years ago on a catamaran somewhere near the British Virgin Islands. That was the last vacation I've taken without my golf clubs, and I'm doing it again in 2019.

I'm partial to the Royal Golf Hotel bar; but the Castle is good too.

I highly recommend (at either place) giving the bartender £50 (or whatever you think is the right number) and asking him to put together a single malt tasting. I see so many guys freeze up in front of the selection and just choose Johnnie black. The barkeep will steer you into some amazing choices that you never would have made on your own.

A tasting is a great idea, if you have the time. I did this a little differently, I'd just talk to each bartender throughout our trip about what I had recently tried and liked, and what I liked about it. Then the bartender would suggest something new, letting me know how it differed from my previous favorite. Either way, you can learn a great deal about whisky, in additional to enjoying great golf.

Just back from my two weeks in the UK. A couple from the East Lothian coastline ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Just back from my two weeks in the UK. A couple from the East Lothian coastline ;)

nice, can't say I have ever played that hole in the pic.

Where in Texas are you?

Love these thread - find it fascinating on what folk think about here.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Wall at North Berwick?

Nice pics!

Good course and it has been pretty decent weather in the Lothians for the last 5 weeks or so with only a couple of days rain. Bit of a sea mist early mornings though and slightly cooler temps with the east wind but great golfing weather.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Writing from the north of Scotland having finished day 3 of 8. Castle Stuart day 1. Easy to see why it comes in top 50 in the world. Great course.

Royal Dornoch on day two, 36 holes. Supposed to be among the very best in the world. Much more “raw” than castle Stuart, the difference between linksland shaped over 400 years of play and land that has been a bit more contoured. As many folks have said, you have to play Dornoch to believe it.

Today, 36 at Brora. As raw and wild as Dornoch is, Brora is even moreso, right down to grazing sheep and cows we had to chase off the tee or out of our line. It doesn’t look like it should be a tough track, but James Braid knew how to use the ground and wind off the North Sea, and I shot my highest score of the trip thus far. The Highland hills tower on one side, and the ocean is on the other.

I saw the pictures of North Berwick and love that track. We’re headed there tomorrow for the rest of the week and playing 36 on NB, Muirfield, Gullane and Dunbar. NB is hard by the sea and beautiful. I have to say though, it has nothing on Dornoch or Brora in that regard - they play down on the beach and are breathtaking.

I’ve been lucky enough to come over here a few times. If it is your first trip. I think the St. Andrews/East Lothians combo is a good idea. Find a basecamp in each area if you can. Great courses. Don’t try to travel all over. Focus and soak it in, and soak in the local environment.

That said, this trip is my first time north. This area is much more rural and quiet- a bit back in time. Entirely different from the other “golf zones” and not in a bad way. We’re playing Skibo Castle (look it up) before we pull out and head south tomorrow, but I sure hope I’ll pass this way again someday. If you get two trips, think about whether a few days up here should be on your diary. You won’t regret it!

nice, can't say I have ever played that hole in the pic.

Where in Texas are you?

Love these thread - find it fascinating on what folk think about here.

Austin for my sins. 22c in London Friday, 37c in Austin today... yeay :russian_roulette:

The 2nd pic is the 10th at Renaissance Club, with Fidra island in the background. Cool hole, one of the three they built after their Murfield land swap. Wanted to see what the course like, I've now done so. Nice folks, awesome caddie, solid if unspectacular track, be a nice 2nd/3rd/4th course to be a member at, which I think is the case for a lot of the members.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

That said, this trip is my first time north. This area is much more rural and quiet- a bit back in time. Entirely different from the other “golf zones” and not in a bad way. We’re playing Skibo Castle (look it up) before we pull out and head south tomorrow, but I sure hope I’ll pass this way again someday. If you get two trips, think about whether a few days up here should be on your diary. You won’t regret it!

I’ve been a somewhat regular visitor to the highlands for 20 years. One of my sorrows is that with each visit, it becomes less wild. My brain knows that the economy of greater Inverness needs golf tourists to survive...but we’re all going to ruin a very special place.

Lucky you, and agreed. I can sum that concern in one image from Saturday. We were out front at Dornoch about to go to the tee when a helicopter swooped in and landed between 1 and 18 and deposited a group. I was chatting with a caddie or the starter, and they said that is happening more and more. Later in the day the chopper returned to gather them.

Still, it is pretty darn unspoiled up here. We were the only four souls on the course for our second time around Brora yesterday, and it was a lovely summer evening. Light breeze off the water, partly cloudy. The cattle saw fit to cross the second tee and make their way down to the beach, I am guessing for the salt on the rocks. For a boy from Wisconsin that is an odd sight - cows on the beach!

Austin for my sins. 22c in London Friday, 37c in Austin today... yeay :russian_roulette:

The 2nd pic is the 10th at Renaissance Club, with Fidra island in the background. Cool hole, one of the three they built after their Murfield land swap. Wanted to see what the course like, I've now done so. Nice folks, awesome caddie, solid if unspectacular track, be a nice 2nd/3rd/4th course to be a member at, which I think is the case for a lot of the members.

I am in Houston for 7 weeks this summer, going to be very different from my usual links and 18 degrees.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217