2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland Veteran Tips, Advice, etc?

I am two months away from an epic golf trip to Scotland with 7 other guys in which we will be playing Muirfield North Berwick Kingsbarns, Crail Balcomie, and hopefully the Old Course. We are also going to the Open at Carnoustie and Staying in ST. Andrews for the week except for two nights in North Berwick to begin the week.

I have never been to Scotland, (or europe for that matter) but I cannot imagine this trip being anything less than amazing.

I was wondering for those that have been, what are some tips, tricks, or advice you can share for such a trip? Can be anything from where to eat and drink or what to try and see outside of the golf. Also, any other experiences you enjoyed or travel tips.

Look forward to hearing your responses.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about your timings (which days where) but if in St Andrews on Sun you can walk the Old Course...or even have a picnic lunch if the weather is good. We are getting there on Sun, June 24 to do just that b4 playing New on Mon & Old on Tuesday.

As you come down 17 stop in the Jigger Inn...also play the Himalayas - can be done any day except when the St A Ladies putting club plays

Don't know anything about Carnoustie, but we are planning to stop by on out way out of St A (heading north to Dornoch)...just to take a look, go in the shop. Wonder how far in advance the grandstands and tents get setup?

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Not sure about your timings (which days where) but if in St Andrews on Sun you can walk the Old Course...or even have a picnic lunch if the weather is good. We are getting there on Sun, June 24 to do just that b4 playing New on Mon & Old on Tuesday.

As you come down 17 stop in the Jigger Inn...also play the Himalayas - can be done any day except when the St A Ladies putting club plays

Don't know anything about Carnoustie, but we are planning to stop by on out way out of St A (heading north to Dornoch)...just to take a look, go in the shop. Wonder how far in advance the grandstands and tents get setup?

Im sure all stands will be uo

By then.

Did you get an advanced time on old course? We are hoping to get on theogh daily ballot

Ill be there the week before you. We are playing St Andrews old and new, Muirfield, Kingsbarns, Glen Eagles, North Berwick (twice), Archerfield and maybe Crail.

This will be my second golf trip....just soak it all in, St. Andrews is a great little town. Edinburgh is a great city with some great pubs and great history.

The Open Championship is by far my favorite tournament to attend in person. I have been to the 2013 Open at Muirfield and the 2015 Open at St. Andrews. The best souveneir that I came back with was a "quiet please" marshal sign that I bought from one of the marshals for 10 pounds. This year I plan to go to the Scottish Open for an afternoon.

Have a great trip!

Good for you and I know you'll get a lot of good ideas in this thread!

Having said that, going there in 31 days and I've spent a lot of time on this sub forum just reading current and old threads which are absolutely loaded with ideas from folks who have been there. Awesome.

Got a nice mug for Christmas to inspire me and "pouring over" (get me? says Nick Faldo) Scotland info this morning while watching Tiger tear up Sawgrass, at least so far!

Im sure all stands will be uo

By then.

Did you get an advanced time on old course? We are hoping to get on theogh daily ballot

Yes, I got mine thru the advanced tee time lottery...we were already committed to doing our family trip to Scotland. So I applied and we built the trip around once I "won" the lottery

Good luck with the ballot!

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. St Andrews is a great town and a golfer's heaven.

We Scots are a bit dour (look it up) but that inclination tends to dissolve in alcohol.

By the way, we are Scots or Scottish, Scotch being a whisky - not whiskey,which comes from Ireland.) And while we're at it, remember Scotland is part of the UK or Great Britain. It is not part of England. Best check an atlas. In matters such as this, ignorance can provoke hostility

Most of us , I think, like American golfers because the generality who make it here can play a bit, and, love the game.

In Scotland, though you may not think so at first, we speak English, so you won't need a phrase book. (In Charleston SC, a nice American lady asked me if I was German, so I guess we must sound a bit guttural to American ears.)

The pound is weak so you'll find eating and drinking very affordable.

You don't say where you are in the US but, regardless, the countryside and the architecture will look very different to anything you've seen in the States.

When you are in the car remember - we drive on the left and you get hit from the right.

If your luggage allowance is restricted I'd favour waterproof over sunscreen and you won't go wrong if you think about layers of clothing. (You can probably, quite safely, leave the thermal underwear at home if only because it's pretty readily available here all year round.)

In St Andrews there's a nice driving range here

https://www.standrew...rn/golf-academy

If you can't get a tee time for the Old, the New is good and I really like the Jubilee.

Hope the weather is kind.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. St Andrews is a great town and a golfer's heaven.

We Scots are a bit dour (look it up) but that inclination tends to dissolve in alcohol.

By the way, we are Scots or Scottish, Scotch being a whisky - not whiskey,which comes from Ireland.) And while we're at it, remember Scotland is part of the UK or Great Britain. It is not part of England. Best check an atlas. In matters such as this, ignorance can provoke hostility

Most of us , I think, like American golfers because the generality who make it here can play a bit, and, love the game.

In Scotland, though you may not think so at first, we speak English, so you won't need a phrase book. (In Charleston SC, a nice American lady asked me if I was German, so I guess we must sound a bit guttural to American ears.)

You don't say where you are in the US but, regardless, the countryside and the architecture will look very different to anything you've seen in the States.

When you are in the car remember - we drive on the left and you get hit from the right.

If your luggage allowance is restricted I'd favour waterproof over sunscreen and you won't go wrong if you think about layers of clothing. (You can probably, quite safely, leave the thermal underwear at home if only because it's pretty readily available here all year round.)

If you can't get a tee time for the Old, the New is good and I really like the Jubilee.

this is a great reply I enjoyed it quite a bit! I am from Mississippi, currently live in Louisiana.

I have been seasoning my liver accordingly. Have drank some Glenkinchie today but have enjoyed Oban 14, Macallan 12, Monkey Shoulder, Glen Moray, Glenfiddich and Ardbeg 10 lately.

Where do you live in Scotland?

this is a great reply I enjoyed it quite a bit! I am from Mississippi, currently live in Louisiana.

I have been seasoning my liver accordingly. Have drank some Glenkinchie today but have enjoyed Oban 14, Macallan 12, Monkey Shoulder, Glen Moray, Glenfiddich and Ardbeg 10 lately.

I live in Aberdeen and this - http://murcarlinks.com/video/ is my home club. It's right next door to Royal Aberdeen, 7 or 8 miles south of Trump International and 20 miles away from Cruden Bay. We are 50 odd miles up the coast from Carnoustie.

Golf advice:

Take waterproof jacket, pants, shoes (2 pair), hat (important) and rain gloves. And then hope you don't need them.

Use your putter more than your lob wedge. If you can find a place, practice putts from tight fairways, 10, 20, even 50 yards. There's room to do this at the St Andrews practice facility.

If you do play the Old Course, take a caddie. If he's still working, Willie Stewart is a really good one.

There's generally little opportunity to get food and drink on most courses, take water and a bite to eat. Every morning I was in St Andrews, I'd walk through the town before breakfast. I'd go to Munch (South Street, just inside the old city gate) and get a bacon roll to eat on the course later on. Cup of coffee and a bacon roll was under 2 pounds when I was there in 2012.

Enjoy your golf, whether the rain falls or not, whether you play well or not, just soak it all in. And play at an efficient pace!!

Non-golf

In St Andrews, I had good meals all over, but really enjoyed the dining room at the Russell Hotel, reserve the "Locker Room" if you can, its perfect for 8. For Indian food, try Jahangir, in South Street.

Of course you should visit the Jigger Inn at the Old Course Hotel, and the Dunvegan, where all American golfers go. But you should go further and have a drink (or 12) in a more "locals" setting. I liked the Whey Pat (just outside the old city gate on South Street), and the Cross Keys.in Market Street, but there are lots more to explore.

For whisky, talk to your barman. If you like something, tell him, and ask for something ......(similar, more peat, different barrels, whatever). Many barmen are extremely knowledgeable.

Be sure to walk to the east end of the town, past the ruined cathedral, and visit Old Tom Morris' grave.

I live in Aberdeen and this - http://murcarlinks.com/video/ is my home club. It's right next door to Royal Aberdeen, 7 or 8 miles south of Trump International and 20 miles away from Cruden Bay. We are 50 odd miles up the coast from Carnoustie.

I played Murcar last year, what a great track! I especially liked the 3rd, tee shot at Serpentine and the approach at the 15. A course I would be happy to play any day!

I played Murcar last year, what a great track! I especially liked the 3rd, tee shot at Serpentine and the approach at the 15. A course I would be happy to play any day!

It's a course I'm lucky enough to play almost every day, and , every day it's different. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Brand new GolfWRX member here.

I’ve been reading the threads on Scotland golf trips & would like some advice. Want to play the Old Course so will be traveling to/focusing on East Scotland; will be a twosome, me plus a long time golf buddy. Based on the advice I’ve read here & at some of the links, I’ve made some preliminary notes (below). Would appreciate any advice on these notes plus anything special we should consider as a twosome.

Scotland Golf Trip Planning:

1. When: Summer 2019 (June-Aug); avoid the Tattoo

2. Where: Cluster of courses around Edinburgh/St. Andrews

* Courses:

* St. Andrews Old Course (lodging in St. Andrews)

* St. Andrews New Course (lodging in St. Andrews)

* Carnoustie (lodging in St. Andrews)

* Kingsbarns (lodging in St. Andrews)

* Gleneagles (on transfer day?)

* Muirfield (lodging near Muirfield/N Berwick)

* North Berwick (lodging near Muirfield/N Berwick)

* Gullane #1 (lodging near Muirfield/N Berwick)

* Archerfield (Fidra) ?

3. How Long: 10-12 days including travel

4. Non-Golf Activities:

* Visit St. Andrews

* Food & Drink: The Jigger, Jahangir, Russell Hotel, Dunvegan, Whey Pat, Cross Keys,

* Whiskey tasting in Forgans

* Lunch @ Muirfield

* Dunvegan or Whey Pat for a pint of Guinness

* Golf Museum behind the R&A clubhouse

* Fish and chips from the Tail End

* Eden Mill gin distillery

5. Other Suggestions:

* Must bring Handicap card

* Don’t play on day of arrival

* Schedule a non-golf day in middle of trip (travel/sight seeing day?)

* Use caddies @ The Old Course

* Play second round scramble one day?

* Take lots of balls

* Leave your 60 degree wedge @ home

* Clothes: Bring rain gear, two pair of golf shoes, rain/cold golf gloves,

* Plan for international stuff: plug adapters, cell service, currency conversion app, etc.

@Hoot55 - I like it! Good list. It's been a few years ago now, but 6 of us pretty much did a reverse of your planned trip, started in East Lothian and then to Fife:

http://www.golfwrx.c...trip-reviewinfo

And c'mon you don't go to Scotland to drink Guinness ;) You go for the hard stuff or if you are going to drink pints, you really need to try and tuck into a real ale.

DaveP should own shares in Greene King with all the Whey Pat recommends :taunt: I always like to counter with Central Bar, which has an excellent selection of real ale, not just GK specific ones. CAMRA site with St. Andrews info here: https://www.kingdomo...e.camra.org.uk/

If you're flying in/out of EDI, you should spend one night in town to have a look around and drink.

Personally I'd pass on Gleneagles and just play an extra round in St. Andrews/East Lothian or take a day to putter about away from the course.

If you want to go modern, Renaissance Club is another option alongside Archerfield, I'm there in a couple weeks so can report back. And Goswick Golf Club is just an hour from North Berwick if you were looking for a top notch course in that area.

In regards to Muirfield, are you planning on eating two green fees, have another twosome to join you, going to see if they can accomodate you some other way?

As a twosome you'll have a lot of flexibility. For example, the first and last day of our group of 6 trip, there were just two of us and we did an impromptu Prestwick round, which woulda been trickier otherwise.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've been reading the threads on Scotland golf trips & would like some advice. Want to play the Old Course so will be traveling to/focusing on East Scotland; will be a twosome, me plus a long time golf buddy. Based on the advice I've read here & at some of the links, I've made some preliminary notes (below). Would appreciate any advice on these notes plus anything special we should consider as a twosome.

* Courses:

* Archerfield (Fidra) ?

4. Non-Golf Activities:

* Visit St. Andrews

* Food & Drink: The Jigger, Jahangir, Russell Hotel, Dunvegan, Whey Pat, Cross Keys,

* Lunch @ Muirfield

5. Other Suggestions:

* Don't play on day of arrival

* Take lots of balls

* Plan for international stuff: plug adapters, cell service, currency conversion app, etc.

Sounds like a solid foundations for a great trip. I'll add only three little things.

You need to schedule Muirfield something like 16 months in advance, and you can check online for availability. Unfortunately, you can't apply for advance reservations on the Old Course until later this summer, and to confine your application there to a few dates surrounding your Muirfield plans will decrease your chances of success. Of course you can always apply through the Daily Ballot when you're in St Andrews, or even show up on the first tee and hope for the best. I'm simply saying that if you choose to play Muirfield, you'll decrease, but definitely not eliminate, the chances of getting on the Old Course.

Most places will serve Guinness, but I recommend that you try some of the good Scottish ales. One reason I liked the Whey Pat was its good selection, including a number of cask ales served through a hand-pumped beer engine. And after reading duffer's comment, I liked the Central Bar as well. When I was there in 2011 and 2012, their selection wasn't as good as the Whey Pat, but things continue to change. We DO agree, be sure to try locally made ales, rather than imports like Guiness, and please don't ask for an "ice cold Coors Light".

The Anstruther Fish Bar has been awarded the title of Best Fish and Chips in Scotland for a few years. Anstruther would be kind of on your route if you were to play at Lundin, Leven, or Elie along the south coast of Fife.

Rather than a scramble, you might consider alternate shot for an afternoon round. I'm pretty sure that is the standard format for play in the afternoons at Muirfield.

@Hoot55 - I like it! Good list. It's been a few years ago now, but 6 of us pretty much did a reverse of your planned trip, started in East Lothian and then to Fife:

[cut]

In regards to Muirfield, are you planning on eating two green fees, have another twosome to join you, going to see if they can accomodate you some other way?

As a twosome you'll have a lot of flexibility. For example, the first and last day of our group of 6 trip, there were just two of us and we did an impromptu Prestwick round, which woulda been trickier otherwise.

Thx Duffer & DaveP. I failed to mention that we will likely use a golf trip packager because my buddy prefers first class travel. Combining that with our joint desire to guarantee an Old Course time, means we’d have a hard time arranging it ourselves I’m guessing. Would that also help with getting on Muirfield? Comments?

Also, I had the thought that when playing Muirfield, Berwick, etc. we might be better off staying in Edinburgh; looks like 45-60 min drive from there to those three courses. This would give us lots more non-golf options in the evening. Thoughts?

Duffer - Noticed your tag line is “Canadian in Texas”, which is very interesting because, I’m from Canadian, Texas.

I've been reading the threads on Scotland golf trips & would like some advice. Want to play the Old Course so will be traveling to/focusing on East Scotland; will be a twosome, me plus a long time golf buddy. Based on the advice I've read here & at some of the links, I've made some preliminary notes (below). Would appreciate any advice on these notes plus anything special we should consider as a twosome.

* Courses:

* Archerfield (Fidra) ?

4. Non-Golf Activities:

* Visit St. Andrews

* Lunch @ Muirfield

5. Other Suggestions:

* Don't play on day of arrival

* Take lots of balls

You might like to think a bit carefully about how Gleneagles fits in to your schedule. It's 50 miles west of St Andrews through Dundee and Perth and you will be getting further away from N Berwick all the time. Then from Gleneagles to N Berwick you have 80 miles encompassing the Edinburgh city bypass which is a pain and then on to the A1 which is no interstate.If that's how you envisage your moving day I should warn you that it's very far from my idea of a fun day out.

[cut]

Thx Duffer & DaveP. I failed to mention that we will likely use a golf trip packager because my buddy prefers first class travel. Combining that with our joint desire to guarantee an Old Course time, means we’d have a hard time arranging it ourselves I’m guessing. Would that also help with getting on Muirfield? Comments?

Also, I had the thought that when playing Muirfield, Berwick, etc. we might be better off staying in Edinburgh; looks like 45-60 min drive from there to those three courses. This would give us lots more non-golf options in the evening. Thoughts?

Duffer - Noticed your tag line is “Canadian in Texas”, which is very interesting because, I’m from Canadian, Texas. ��

You've pretty much planned the trip it looks like, so not sure where the course organizer really fits in - tee times and hotels are easy to arrange. Otherwise, just get in touch with an organizer and let them guide you and earn the big bucks.

Having said that I have three words for you - Allan McAllister Ferguson.

Dave is correct, if you are going to get on St. Andrews via the lottery you won't know until October if you get selected and you'd limit your options asking for specific, limited days, but maybe you just take the risk and figure on standing in line whatever day you want to play. Never played there, never been, but going - don't know that Muirfield is that big of a deal to be dictating other options, but it sure could be and that's great.

We let the Old Course results dictate our starting and ending dates for the trip, started arranging lodging in October (still had to make a change about 6 weeks ago that was no big problem) and other courses here and there. Just hasn't been a huge issue and really hasn't taken up a lot of time. Other than airline seats, not sure what "first class" means once you touch down.

Ditto on the alternate shot, don't even know if a course would let you play a scramble, but I'm sure they would let you know if you asked whether it would be allowed.

We let the Old Course results dictate our starting and ending dates for the trip, started arranging lodging in October (still had to make a change about 6 weeks ago that was no big problem) and other courses here and there. Just hasn't been a huge issue and really hasn't taken up a lot of time. Other than airline seats, not sure what "first class" means once you touch down.

I've read a few of the golf planner websites. Many will arrange a vehicle and driver, so you don't have to handle that on your own. Many will book you in rather nice hotels, like the Old Course Hotel, while I enjoyed a (much less posh) B&B in St Andrews. Some will actually have a local representative, a fixer, who can help the group if something unusual happens in-country. All that is what I believe the packagers refer to as "first class." You can certainly book your own hotel, but the local fixer, the car and driver, I think those might be a little difficult to arrange if you do all your own booking.

[cut]

Duffer - Noticed your tag line is “Canadian in Texas”, which is very interesting because, I’m from Canadian, Texas. ��

And before Texas, I actually lived in NorCal... spooooooky ;-)

Personally, I'd just stay out near the courses. It's never just an nn minutes journey out of a city, even a small one like Edi. And also I like to mix in small village inn/pub stays with the bigger fancier/full service city centre hotels, but that's just me. Unless you really want loads more dinner options or want to head to a gig/theatre, 3 something nights in the country you'd be fine after golf.

I'm also an ardent DIYer, so I'd have to leave any package/tour operator comments to others. They run the gamut and definitely just calling themselves 'first class' or whatever doesn't mean the service will match. Definitely want to look far and wide, if you decide to go that route.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

quote'Hoot55'

,,, I had the thought that when playing Muirfield, Berwick, etc. we might be better off staying in Edinburgh; looks like 45-60 min drive from there to those three courses. This would give us lots more non-golf options in the evening. Thoughts?

I'll suggest the Seaholm House B&B in North Berwick. It is walking distance to North Berwick West Links and to many good restaurants. It's just a few minutes drive to Muirfield. The breakfasts served at Seaholm are great and it is very reasonably priced. This is the view out the front door.

13001320684_fc889387d1_c.jpg

Bass Rock, Firth of Forth view from front door of Seaholm B&B, North Berwick Scotland1010408

I've read a few of the golf planner websites. Many will arrange a vehicle and driver, so you don't have to handle that on your own. Many will book you in rather nice hotels, like the Old Course Hotel, while I enjoyed a (much less posh) B&B in St Andrews. Some will actually have a local representative, a fixer, who can help the group if something unusual happens in-country. All that is what I believe the packagers refer to as "first class." You can certainly book your own hotel, but the local fixer, the car and driver, I think those might be a little difficult to arrange if you do all your own booking.

This is the way our foursome went for our trip in August. We had spoken to the same guy for a few years in a row at the DC golf expo and really liked him. Pricewise it was cheaper than I thought too, we're not paying a premium or anything. My guess is that he has a deal with the hotel or courses - or both - but I checked the prices alongside his quote and it was almost the same. Plus he has a local guy that lives/works in St Andrews and deals with all the stuff on the ground - including entering us in the daily ballot.

Anyway, its worked for us so far.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

About ten years ago, I went on a "once in a lifetime" trip to Scotland. I've been back almost twice a year ever since.

In my opinion, the big "miss" of most golf tourist experiences is that they treat the country like it's one enormous Country Club - traveling in a luxury coach from rota course to rota course, feeling very worldly if they make the trek to Dornoch (look ma, a non rota course!), and drinking every night in the equivalent of the members' bar. That's a super fun trip. Especially with a cool group of guys. But it misses a big chunk of what's possible.

What would I not miss?

Do a distillery tour or two. But not Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich. Somewhere small like Blair Athol or Edradour. Recognizing that 90% of what you see in Scotland is owned by Diageo, work yourself into the road less traveled (even though that too, is owned by Diageo).

Go to Gleneagles and don't play golf. Shoot skeet instead. Tons of fun. It's a good break from the day-to-day of golf. If you have anybody who appreciates excellent food, dinner at Andrew Fairlie (in the resort) is really really good (and with the weakness of the pound, not that expensive any more).

Play a round of golf at a local golf club. It's Scotland, so it should be a links course. But get off the rota and onto a place like Murcar or Fraserburgh.

Either way, you'll have a fun trip...but off the beaten path is a richer experience than working your way around like every other guy in a Galvin Green suit.

About ten years ago, I went on a "once in a lifetime" trip to Scotland. I've been back almost twice a year ever since.

In my opinion, the big "miss" of most golf tourist experiences is that they treat the country like it's one enormous Country Club - traveling in a luxury coach from rota course to rota course, feeling very worldly if they make the trek to Dornoch (look ma, a non rota course!), and drinking every night in the equivalent of the members' bar. That's a super fun trip. Especially with a cool group of guys. But it misses a big chunk of what's possible.

What would I not miss?

Do a distillery tour or two. But not Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich. Somewhere small like Blair Athol or Edradour. Recognizing that 90% of what you see in Scotland is owned by Diageo, work yourself into the road less traveled (even though that too, is owned by Diageo).

Go to Gleneagles and don't play golf. Shoot skeet instead. Tons of fun. It's a good break from the day-to-day of golf. If you have anybody who appreciates excellent food, dinner at Andrew Fairlie (in the resort) is really really good (and with the weakness of the pound, not that expensive any more).

Play a round of golf at a local golf club. It's Scotland, so it should be a links course. But get off the rota and onto a place like Murcar or Fraserburgh.

Either way, you'll have a fun trip...but off the beaten path is a richer experience than working your way around like every other guy in a Galvin Green suit.

Big cheers for Murcar and Fraserburgh and if you can spare the time to get to Galloway, Southerness is fabulous - https://southernessgolfclub.com/

^Or swim across to Silloth on Solway :)

F.T.

I was over there about a year ago and got lucky in the Ballot process for St. Andrews, hopefully it all works out for you. I enjoyed the actual golf part more at North Berwick - The West Links, (can't beat the history at St. Andrews). The views were amazing and course was a ton of fun to play even with the 30+ MPH wind. As someone else mentioned above, bring rain gear and hope not to use it and keep the ball on the ground as much as you can. Enjoy it!

bring rain gear and hope not to use it

With the pound south of $1.40, if you don’t already own high quality waterproofs...don’t bring it, buy it in Scotland.

Another pro tip: bring two pairs of golf shoes. Especially if you’re walking 36+ a day. I use a pair of Ecco spikeless as my second pair because you can also wear them off the course.

What would I not miss?

We are planning to do 2 or 3 distillery tours...Glenmornangie is basically the only one near Dornoch right? Interested why you don't recommend?

How about Speyside - we are staying 2 nights there and considering The Balvenie, MaCallan & Glenlivet - any thoughts on those 3?

I'm not a big scotch guy - its for my Dad...he's love to taste a bunch of different ones. We will probably stop in to almost all of them - but only do 2 tours

thanks

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Thanks very much for your comments thusfar on my tentative Scotland trip itinerary (See Post #14 above). Based on your comments & a bit of research, it seems possible to self-plan the whole trip AND guarantee tee times on both St. Andrews Old + Muirfield, as described below.

1. Enter St. Andrews Old Course Private Tee Times ballot in late August 2018 for summer 2019 tee times. Wait until mid-September 2018 to see if I get a private tee time.

2. If successful with #1, schedule tee times @ New Course, Carnoustie & Kingsbarns plus lodging in St. Andrews.

3. If successful with #1, schedule Muirfield tee times through Greywalls Hotel (to avoid paying 4 tee times for 2 golfers); also schedule N. Berwick & Gulane through Greywalls package if it’s the best deal.

4. Schedule other courses as desired.

5. Schedule airlines & in-country transportation.

Unfortunately, it looks like if I’m not successful with #1, the only way to guarantee tee times @ both locations is to use a golf packager.

Would appreciate any comments.