2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Private course membership

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not closed Mondays but it is a late morning start at best due to maintenance. Also, during the summer, Monday (and Tues) are the days they hold outside charity tournaments. Also Mondays are when they give the staff a few extra tee times. And the bar/restaurant is closed Mondays.

So lot's of things can conspire to make it almost de facto closed to getting on if not de jure.

But looking at the tee sheet next Monday, it's wide open for member play.

If you can afford it a private club is a better overall experience in my opinion. Pace of play is much faster, service is great and amenities excellent. Plus I can go out on "iffy" weather days and get in a few quick holes. Everyone acts like one large family. When I play a public facility I often see a lack of respect for the course - bunkers not raked, divots and ball marks not fixed. Sad.

Getting ready to fill out the membership application of the club in my neighhorhood and came here to look for the last bit of advice or tips I could find.

I’m 35, getting in for 50% of the initiation ($6K vs $12K). I’m responsible for the other $6K when I turn 40, but $110/mo of my dues each month go to paying that off. If joining today I’d start paying in November when I turn 36 so I’d have 48 months @ $110/mo which comes out to $5,2580.00 which means I’d have to pay $720.00 of that $6K. Dues + F&B min will cost me $595/mo now and go up to $800+ when I turn 40 (assuming no price raises over the years). There are (2) 18 hole courses that are both ranked in the top 10 of the state for years, very nice practice facility, a massive clubhouse, pool, tennis, two dining rooms, multi-story locker rooms, etc. It is out close to the middle of nowhere and it is a golf development that I live in. If we move it will not likely be as convenient. It is that same reason I’m considering joining I literally live on one of the courses and it’s always empty.

My main reason for joining is solely to practice and play more. I do not see myself playing there on weekends, mainly during the week or late afternoons in the weekend. I have regular friends that I play with who will never joint a private course so I’ll likely still be paying to play at public courses to play with friends. This is a downside. It is possible I’d find groups to play with, but I’m very loyal to my best friends and would prefer to hang out with them on the weekends than others. As stated, I do not ever see them joining this or any other club.

So my positives are the location, the facilities, I love both courses (important), and as a side note it’s a club I grew up working at. My dad worked there, I worked there. I shined people’s shoes, cleaned toilets, worked as a bus boy on 4th of July, I dressed up in a tux and opened car doors with my dad on new year’s, etc. I have the inaugural champagne glasses of the club somewhere tucked away. I always dreamed of being a member there or having the means to do so. Now I can and it’s almost like an achievement thing, but now that I have worked my way into being well off enough to afford this I also realize that it’s a lot of money for what I’m using it for.

My negatives are I’m paying $600/mo minimum to be able to walk thru the door, use the practice facilities, play unlimited golf as long as I walk (it’s in the hills and not real walkable), get a locker and for my wife to use the pool. I can use the facilities a lot, but likely not much with friends on weekends. Guest fees are $110/round with cart per person. I don’t see my friends wanting to spend over $100/round even if it is a nicer course.

I figure I can play 2-4 times after work a week, practice most nights and my wife and I can easily do the $75/min for F&B. Living out in the sticks and having a bar and two different restaurants down the street is very appealing. Most times we go out and cannot drink more than one because of the drive home. We do not have kids, but are working on that and it would be an additional benefit as the membership includes my wife and kids.

I’ve already cut out $384/month out of my budget on leaky s*** and have not calculated money spent on “weekday golf” and practice fees at local ranges to further look at how much more I can justify this. Like I said, fully belonging to the fabric and hanging out with the members is not something I’m signing up for. It may end up being a side thing that is unexpected, but overall I’m not a country club guy or joining because I need friends.

In search of solid contact...

Getting ready to fill out the membership application of the club in my neighhorhood and came here to look for the last bit of advice or tips I could find.

I’m 35, getting in for 50% of the initiation ($6K vs $12K). I’m responsible for the other $6K when I turn 40, but $110/mo of my dues each month go to paying that off. If joining today I’d start paying in November when I turn 36 so I’d have 48 months @ $110/mo which comes out to $5,2580.00 which means I’d have to pay $720.00 of that $6K. Dues + F&B min will cost me $595/mo now and go up to $800+ when I turn 40 (assuming no price raises over the years). There are (2) 18 hole courses that are both ranked in the top 10 of the state for years, very nice practice facility, a massive clubhouse, pool, tennis, two dining rooms, multi-story locker rooms, etc. It is out close to the middle of nowhere and it is a golf development that I live in. If we move it will not likely be as convenient. It is that same reason I’m considering joining I literally live on one of the courses and it’s always empty.

My main reason for joining is solely to practice and play more. I do not see myself playing there on weekends, mainly during the week or late afternoons in the weekend. I have regular friends that I play with who will never joint a private course so I’ll likely still be paying to play at public courses to play with friends. This is a downside. It is possible I’d find groups to play with, but I’m very loyal to my best friends and would prefer to hang out with them on the weekends than others. As stated, I do not ever see them joining this or any other club.

So my positives are the location, the facilities, I love both courses (important), and as a side note it’s a club I grew up working at. My dad worked there, I worked there. I shined people’s shoes, cleaned toilets, worked as a bus boy on 4th of July, I dressed up in a tux and opened car doors with my dad on new year’s, etc. I have the inaugural champagne glasses of the club somewhere tucked away. I always dreamed of being a member there or having the means to do so. Now I can and it’s almost like an achievement thing, but now that I have worked my way into being well off enough to afford this I also realize that it’s a lot of money for what I’m using it for.

My negatives are I’m paying $600/mo minimum to be able to walk thru the door, use the practice facilities, play unlimited golf as long as I walk (it’s in the hills and not real walkable), get a locker and for my wife to use the pool. I can use the facilities a lot, but likely not much with friends on weekends. Guest fees are $110/round with cart per person. I don’t see my friends wanting to spend over $100/round even if it is a nicer course.

I figure I can play 2-4 times after work a week, practice most nights and my wife and I can easily do the $75/min for F&B. Living out in the sticks and having a bar and two different restaurants down the street is very appealing. Most times we go out and cannot drink more than one because of the drive home. We do not have kids, but are working on that and it would be an additional benefit as the membership includes my wife and kids.

I’ve already cut out $384/month out of my budget on leaky s*** and have not calculated money spent on “weekday golf” and practice fees at local ranges to further look at how much more I can justify this. Like I said, fully belonging to the fabric and hanging out with the members is not something I’m signing up for. It may end up being a side thing that is unexpected, but overall I’m not a country club guy or joining because I need friends.

Interesting. Enjoyed reading it.

The part that would concern me is the commitment. What if after 6 months of joining something happens where you can no longer afford the membership? I know you would prob lose your initial cash fee, but what is your further financial obligation?

Other than the above it sounds pretty good.

Sounds like a good deal for you. How long is your season? I'd be looking at similar (slightly lower) cost here, but for a max 7 month season it's pricey.

Im 35, getting in for 50% of the initiation ($6K vs $12K). Im responsible for the other $6K when I turn 40, but $110/mo of my dues each month go to paying that off. If joining today Id start paying in November when I turn 36 so Id have 48 months @ $110/mo which comes out to $5,2580.00 which means Id have to pay $720.00 of that $6K. Dues + F&B min will cost me $595/mo now and go up to $800+ when I turn 40 (assuming no price raises over the years). There are (2) 18 hole courses that are both ranked in the top 10 of the state for years, very nice practice facility, a massive clubhouse, pool, tennis, two dining rooms, multi-story locker rooms, etc. It is out close to the middle of nowhere and it is a golf development that I live in. If we move it will not likely be as convenient. It is that same reason Im considering joining I literally live on one of the courses and its always empty.

My main reason for joining is solely to practice and play more. I do not see myself playing there on weekends, mainly during the week or late afternoons in the weekend. I have regular friends that I play with who will never joint a private course so Ill likely still be paying to play at public courses to play with friends. This is a downside. It is possible Id find groups to play with, but Im very loyal to my best friends and would prefer to hang out with them on the weekends than others. As stated, I do not ever see them joining this or any other club.

So my positives are the location, the facilities, I love both courses (important), and as a side note its a club I grew up working at. My dad worked there, I worked there. I shined peoples shoes, cleaned toilets, worked as a bus boy on 4th of July, I dressed up in a tux and opened car doors with my dad on new years, etc. I have the inaugural champagne glasses of the club somewhere tucked away. I always dreamed of being a member there or having the means to do so. Now I can and its almost like an achievement thing, but now that I have worked my way into being well off enough to afford this I also realize that its a lot of money for what Im using it for.

My negatives are Im paying $600/mo minimum to be able to walk thru the door, use the practice facilities, play unlimited golf as long as I walk (its in the hills and not real walkable), get a locker and for my wife to use the pool. I can use the facilities a lot, but likely not much with friends on weekends. Guest fees are $110/round with cart per person. I dont see my friends wanting to spend over $100/round even if it is a nicer course.

Ive already cut out $384/month out of my budget on leaky s*** and have not calculated money spent on weekday golf and practice fees at local ranges to further look at how much more I can justify this. Like I said, fully belonging to the fabric and hanging out with the members is not something Im signing up for. It may end up being a side thing that is unexpected, but overall Im not a country club guy or joining because I need friends.

Interesting. Enjoyed reading it.

The part that would concern me is the commitment. What if after 6 months of joining something happens where you can no longer afford the membership? I know you would prob lose your initial cash fee, but what is your further financial obligation?

Other than the above it sounds pretty good.

It wouldn't be 6 months as my income is pretty much known a year in advance for what I do, but yes I understand. There is no fee to leave other than losing your upfront initiation money.

Sounds like a good deal for you. How long is your season? I'd be looking at similar (slightly lower) cost here, but for a max 7 month season it's pricey.

I'm in the St Louis area. Actual season runs from daylight savings in March till Thanksgiving and then depending on weather it extends or virtually ends. Daylight is a bigger determining factor for me than weather. We have enough days over 50 in winter to to play, just not enough daylight if you're not off work that day. I would plan on using the courses/facilities during the winter.

I'm in the St Louis area. Actual season runs from daylight savings in March till Thanksgiving and then depending on weather it extends or virtually ends. Daylight is a bigger determining factor for me than weather. We have enough days over 50 in winter to to play, just not enough daylight if you're not off work that day. I would plan on using the courses/facilities during the winter.

Everything sounded good until you said you would keep playing on weekends with your current group. Nothing wrong with that....but I think you'll quickly find yourself torn after you start meeting people at the club, play in club events, etc....which you should do to get the full value of a club.

Also....your bill will end up a lot higher than expected.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I hope you enjoy whatever place you chose in the end. I'm in the same area of New Jersey and my college practices at Merchantville, which only being 9 holes can turn some people away, even though I like it a whole lot. Whatever you choose, just remember to invite your fellow WXRs out for a round.

I'm one month into my membership at a private club. I've played 3 rounds and used the range. All three rounds I had no one in front of me and no one behind me. They were rounds that I played during the morning on a weekday as my work schedule allows me to have many weekdays off and I also work straight afternoons. The most groups I've seen at any time on the course was 4, including mine. The benefit of being able to play during the week in 3 hours with my busy work and family life is wonderful! I didn't join my club thinking I need to "play X amount of rounds to break even". It will never happen.

I also thought. My wife and I will pay $5,000+ dollars for 5 days in Disney without batting an eye. That's $1000+ a day! Paying $5,000 a year of golf, use of a pool and range. and includes $1500 of food and beverage, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. But most importantly, if you can't afford it, or the thought of "not getting my money worth" will bother you, don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one month into my membership at a private club. I've played 3 rounds and used the range. All three rounds I had no one in front of me and no one behind me. They were rounds that I played during the morning on a weekday as my work schedule allows me to have many weekdays off and I also work straight afternoons. The most groups I've seen at any time on the course was 4, including mine. The benefit of being able to play during the week in 3 hours with my busy work and family life is wonderful! I didn't join my club thinking I need to "play X amount of rounds to break even". It will never happen.

I also thought. My wife and I will pay $5,000+ dollars for 5 days in Disney without batting an eye. That's $1000+ a day! Paying $5,000 a year of golf, use of a pool and range. and includes $1500 of food and beverage, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. But most importantly, if you can't afford it, or the thought of "not getting my money worth" will bother you, don't do it.

Twice after work here in my first week and I'm having the same thoughts. No one around with (4) nines to choose from + very nice double sided range, putting and chipping green. Best part is its in my neighborhood.

Twice after work here in my first week and I'm having the same thoughts. No one around with (4) nines to choose from + very nice double sided range, putting and chipping green. Best part is its in my neighborhood.

St. Albans? If so probably worth it. I thought the back 9 on Lewis & Clark was fantastic. Not the easiest place to get to, so living there would be a huge factor I'd think. Best of luck!

I am also a little over a month into a new membership at a fully private club. I previously was at a semi-private for the last 3 years, and just got tired of a few of its shortcomings. My new club is only a 3-4 minute drive from my house. The deal they have running for new members now is great.

So far I am absolutely loving it. I've played about 10 rounds so far, and I think my longest round (walking 18) was about 3:40. I've also gotten around walking in as quick as 2:30. The drainage on the course is superior to my previous course, the conditions are far better. And all the amenities are fantastic. The food is great, the people have been nice. So far, no complaints.

I did however, let my first month's spending get a little "much". Nothing I couldn't handle, but not something I want to let happen every month.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I am also a little over a month into a new membership at a fully private club. I previously was at a semi-private for the last 3 years, and just got tired of a few of its shortcomings. My new club is only a 3-4 minute drive from my house. The deal they have running for new members now is great.

So far I am absolutely loving it. I've played about 10 rounds so far, and I think my longest round (walking 18) was about 3:40. I've also gotten around walking in as quick as 2:30. The drainage on the course is superior to my previous course, the conditions are far better. And all the amenities are fantastic. The food is great, the people have been nice. So far, no complaints.

I did however, let my first month's spending get a little "much". Nothing I couldn't handle, but not something I want to let happen every month.

Yeah my first month was also my family and friends first month so it was quite pricey as everyone was eager to try it out, and of course being family and friends you don't want them to have to pay for anything as they are guests. $$$ Just have to set limits and after the honeymoon period it's my brother I'll ask X number of times a month, my best buddy X number of times etc. etc. otherwise the guest fees and f/b adds up. Of course one of the great benefits is playing with other members and meeting new people.

About the weekend golf with friends: I play every Saturday with friends at a public course. We have the first tee time, so are off at first light and done in less than 4 hours, plus an hour for breakfast. Works out fine since my club is typically busy Saturday mornings. I, too, did not join a club for weekend golf, but I've used it a lot during the week, when time constraints would make public golf impossible. I haven't really broken into the groups or made friends; most of the members are older than me and I joined to get better, not for the social life. It would drive me nuts to live on a golf course and not join, maybe just consider it part of the mortgage payment.

• 3 weeks later...

A month in and i know my decision wasn't the wrong one. It's hard to call it the "right" decision since it's a good amount of money. Dues go up next month when I turn 36, BUT...... I talked with the club and I can switch my wife's name as the member (she's 31) and get an additional 4 years before we have higher dues and minimums. There are two, 18 hole courses and every single day I've headed out after work I was able to choose which 9 I wanted to play and have not been stuck behind one group. Two sided range, short game area, large putting green. I should've done this sooner. I have all the resources to really improve now.

One downside is being closed on Mondays, but I've noticed people still get out and walk the courses on Monday's so I'll probably end up doing that.