2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ingee Chun to replace Imbee Park at the UL International Crown

Stooch

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is a shock. I didn't think it was for real when I read the title. Had to check LPGA.com to see it for myself. Thanks for the bulletin Stooch.

I agree with legitimate, this is so strange.

It seems unusual for Inbee to do, since she came back to play saying she was mentally starting over, in terms of having already won everything. And then not one, but two players next in line decline?

Stunning development... I guess this by definition makes the Korea team less of a dreadnought maybe. Love In Gee, happy to get to see her play, but so confused...

My theory is that playing for the Korean IC team will be very pressure packed. After losing in 2016, and playing in front of the home fans, the atmosphere will be rather crazy. It may be crazier than your typical Ryder Cup. I'm not completely shocked that one or more players would say thanks, but no thanks.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Pardon the language but what the heck is this. Inbee "wants to give another golfer a chance"? And Hye Jin Choi and Jin Young Ko "both declined"??? To me, this all smells rather fishy.

According to the article, there is a KLPGA major that week. I would guess that both Hye Jin Choi and Jin Young Ko both felt a stronger pull to play that event instead of the UL. In Gee has spent more time on the LPGA tour and also has more non-Korea sponsors than the other two. Could just be a business decision.

Regardless of the why, I'm happy to see In Gee in. A good performance could give her a major confidence boost.

My theory is that playing for the Korean IC team will be very pressure packed. After losing in 2016, and playing in front of the home fans, the atmosphere will be rather crazy. It may be crazier than your typical Ryder Cup. I'm not completely shocked that one or more players would say thanks, but no thanks.

There is no other ways to put it, the Queen Bee just laid a big pile of crap on the crown.

And to add insult to injuries, both Hye Jin Choi and JYK quickly said no thanks. My theory is also that some Koreans secretly would rather not play in this thing. It will be like a zoo. Expectation and scrutiny on the players will be high. And in this volatile match play format, it is entirely possible that the Korean team not finishing top 3 (they nearly didn't make it out of group stage 4 years ago). All that BS is worth it for a Olympic medal, but for a 2 year old silver crown ?

This is a silly event to begin with. Good on her for passing on it, like she could for any other event, where no one would freak out. She doesn't owe anything to anyone, especially after the pre-Olympics nonsense.

Why doesn't the LPGA just have a proper match play event like the WGC? Is it too difficult to find a sponsor and GC airtime for a 5 day event?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

This is a silly event to begin with. Good on her for passing on it, like she could for any other event, where no one would freak out. She doesn't owe anything to anyone, especially after the pre-Olympics nonsense.

Why doesn't the LPGA just have a proper match play event like the WGC? Is it too difficult to find a sponsor and GC airtime for a 5 day event?

The Ryder Cup probably started out as a silly event. You cannot fast forward heritage and prestige. The IC is only 2 events old. But no doubt this diss by the #1 player is a set back to this infant stage event.

We watch these events because we feed off the passion of the players. Just Image if Rory or Patrick Reed start saying they will pass to "give opportunities to other players" , it will be the beginning of the end of the Ryder Cup.

There is no other ways to put it, the Queen Bee just laid a big pile of crap on the crown.

And to add insult to injuries, both Hye Jin Choi and JYK quickly said no thanks. My theory is also that some Koreans secretly would rather not play in this thing. It will be like a zoo. Expectation and scrutiny on the players will be high. And in this volatile match play format, it is entirely possible that the Korean team not finishing top 3 (they nearly didn't make it out of group stage 4 years ago). All that BS is worth it for a Olympic medal, but for a 2 year old silver crown ?

Who really wants to represent their country anymore anyway..It`s not that big of a deal,right? :rolleyes: Just like Coolio once said" If ya can`t take the heat, get yo a** out the kitchen"

I enjoyed the prior edition of this event and am looking forward to seeing this one, not the least because it's being played in Korea. I'd rather see a full on KLPGA vs LPGA event, but this is what we've got to work with. The team/country angle at least has the potential for a small bump in TV ratings.

Too bad the Lorena Ochoa event didn't stick as a match play.

This is disappointing from a fan/viewer perspective. I've felt like women's golf and the LPGA could benefit from a good competitive rivalry. I thought we would get Ariya vs. Lydia in '17 but both struggled for much of that season.

I'd love to see Inbee in matches against just about anyone. Lexi, Minjee, Nasa, Wie, Ariya, Anna, Ai Suzuki, etc. All could be outstanding matches and possibly create some rivalry.

I think Jin Young Ko is a little fatigued from the transition to the US, but I don't see how she declines. Hye Jin Choi would have been the lone current KLPGA participate. I don't see how she declines also. (This is the KLPGA 40th anniversary year, Is Inbee scheduled to play in the Major? Not the best idea to schedule this event the same week as a major, but at the time the LPGA may not have had another option)But maybe this works in Team Korea's favor. All the Attack Girls and Flying Dumbos potentially in attendance could put a lot of pressure on opposing teams.

Wow. I have my theories about Imbee, but I'll keep them to myself unless I turn out to be right.

Interesting theory. But just imagine what it will be like to go out and win , in her "condition". She will be in folklore ( if she is not already ) .

Pregnant?

That's what we're guessing. But just a guess.

The Ryder Cup probably started out as a silly event. You cannot fast forward heritage and prestige. The IC is only 2 events old. But no doubt this diss by the #1 player is a set back to this infant stage event.

We watch these events because we feed off the passion of the players. Just Image if Rory or Patrick Reed start saying they will pass to "give opportunities to other players" , it will be the beginning of the end of the Ryder Cup.

If my aunt had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

The Ryder Cup started in a far different time and place. Weiskopf passed on it back in the day and it survived. Someone could this time and it'd still keep on trucking, but that's enough of the whataboutery.

I'm sure if the US had more top players, they'd have just done a President's Cup equivalent and been done with it, but having the US get mullered year after year probably wouldn't help the event, so they bunged this thing together. As long as UL keeps bankrolling it, I'm sure it'll continue. Personally would still prefer a Top 64 matchplay tourney like the WGC.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If my aunt had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

The Ryder Cup started in a far different time and place. Weiskopf passed on it back in the day and it survived. Someone could this time and it'd still keep on trucking, but that's enough of the whataboutery.

I'm sure if the US had more top players, they'd have just done a President's Cup equivalent and been done with it, but having the US get mullered year after year probably wouldn't help the event, so they bunged this thing together. As long as UL keeps bankrolling it, I'm sure it'll continue. Personally would still prefer a Top 64 matchplay tourney like the WGC.

I agree totally, in regards to a WGC round robin type match play event, the single elimination event like the Lorane Ochoa, I don't find as compelling as you can lose your stars the first match with a bad 18. Maybe the stars still get eliminate early but 3 matches gives the fan some value no mater what happens to the stars after that.

I enjoyed the prior edition of this event and am looking forward to seeing this one, not the least because it's being played in Korea. I'd rather see a full on KLPGA vs LPGA event, but this is what we've got to work with. The team/country angle at least has the potential for a small bump in TV ratings.

Too bad the Lorena Ochoa event didn't stick as a match play.

I like this event too, and I hardly like anything. IMO it's like a Ryder Cup for the current millennium. Ryder Cup is cool but the premise (US-UK golf rivalry) is beyond outdated.

To me this seems correct. Except for In Gee, maybe none of them are all that into the event. That would be hard for me personally to take because from a viewer standpoint, that sudden death playoff between US-Korea back in '14 was sensational. I assumed the players enjoyed it just as much but maybe not. And now I sort of suspect that Inbee's decision was also made knowing that it would fall to In Gee. Would she have stepped aside if the spot landed on Hye Jin Choi, a non-LPGA member? Is my question to you.

Whatever their reasons, the Korean team suddenly got harder to root for. Now I hope the Thais kick everyone's butt. I still enjoy In Gee's smile as much as the next guy but as a golf fan I am annoyed that she has been gifted this spot.

It still seems strange to me. 4way's interpretation is compelling, but why would she? It seems like it would be the perfect sort of accomplishment for Inbee to add to her legend. Another notch in her belt. Also seems like she'd at least want to stick by So Yeon.

Feel like there's something going on that we just lack the info to understand.

So how would you pair up the new team? So Yeon + IK, and Sung Hyun + In Gee?

^As hinted above, it could be the Serena Williams reason ;)

F.T.

Wow. I have my theories about Imbee, but I'll keep them to myself unless I turn out to be right.

Interesting theory. But just imagine what it will be like to go out and win , in her "condition". She will be in folklore ( if she is not already ) .

Pregnant?

I was thinking this...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

This really isn't a statement about Ingee or Imbee, but maybe someone who follows the Korean tour can tell me. Is there a Monday qualifying type process for the Korean Major that's happening the same week? If there is I think it would b good idea for some of the LPGA pro's who are part of the Asian swing but their country or themselves didn't qualify for International crown go try and get into the event. Basically the player not in the International Crown would have a month off competitive golf right when it's crunch time for CME positioning.

I'm betting the LPGA would have stern words for any player who wanted to do this, Especially if they were Lydia or Brooke caliber trying to get in lol As a huge Brooke fan I would love to see this and IMO she owes nothing to the Commish, having refused to let Brooke even try to qualify for the Symetra tour at 17 through Q-school (when she was the #1 ranked Am in the world) but yet let the (American) Nelly Korda do this exact thing the following season.

Just my 2 cents on something that would add a little drama to the weekend for someone like me who doesn't have a dog in the International Crown fight lol

Maybe you all know what you are talking about, but I am taking Inbee at her word. If she says she's stepping aside because she wants to give another player a chance, then that's what I am going believe. She does not have a history of being dishonest.

Queen Bee does not want to play in the IC, for whatever her own reason. Period. The rest is just lip service.

InGee has played in both the IC and the Olympics. She had plenty of opportunities.

If her intention was truly to "give opportunity", then she would have privately communicated to HJC or JYK to make sure they would take her place. (HJC not being a LPGA member is not an issue, as many non members had played in the IC before)