Goal: +3 Next Summer

stunted

Krt22, good eye on the wrist set, didn't notice after many watches. One thing I think I noticed is on my downswing, it looks like my wrists get bowed and I make some compensating move to square the clubface. Maybe setting the wrists earlier could do away with that? Something looks off to me in the backswing, this could be it.

Is this what you mean with the hips?

Yea I actually meant to just post it on instagram to pretend I have a life, but figured what the heck. I'm travelling for a bit, having major skytrak withdrawal.

Nice move!

I would love to see what you shoot on a golf course right now. Golf courses have bad lies, uneven lies, wind, etc. To play golf at the level you want to play golf, you simply must PLAY golf. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

critique away

(

closer view)

relax your shoulders.

Feel like you are keeping you elbows together at the top of back swing, that right elbow is flying out behind you. Then, it's getting slightly trapped behind you on the down swing.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

obee - i played a few times since. 9 hole match with my brother, shot around 40 on a tough course. played a scramble tourney with some friends who aren't good and shot -13 using a lot of my balls (and some mulligans) -played well, would have shot a decent score. then played 18 on a 71 rated course, shot 85. was trying a new move - it was ugly. for me wind throws me off the most. not necessarily judging distance/direction, but my body wants to make subconscious adjustments during the swing.

bogeypro - do you mean the elbows seem ok at the top (they look far apart to me though), but the right elbow flies out on the downswing? i definitely now see the right elbow flying out and getting stuck though.

x2sPP9B.png

Dude, 85? What new move? One legged?

Around 40? Is that an actual score, or just a guess?

I played today , 6 birdies and 2 bogies for a 67 and I'm not very good at golf.

Perhaps it was 40 points.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Continuing from this thread http://www.golfwrx.c...y-ready-for-it/

Little bit about me - I'm close to a +3. Played golf all throughout my childhood and on the high school team, best I got to was an inconsistent 3.

The best you've been is a 3, and you're "pretty close to a +3"?

More power to ya, but I'd take action on this, if only because you're not being realistic. Going from a 3 to a +3 is probably 20 times harder than going from a 9 to a 3. It's not a linear progression.

How old are you, and are you going to post up your GHIN with T scores? And will you post video of your swing?

How about scratch first and then +3. +3 takes a lot of maintenance. Like play or practice 5x/week+ usually.

(even though I hit my long irons well) What club is this? It is just short of my 6iron ball speed but has half the spin........also - turn on the 50shot tracer if you gonna post up, infact better still, dump the export of the shot history

If I want to improve 6-8 strokes in a year, I'm not sure I want to listen to the guy who improved 2 strokes in 4 years.

Late to the party and I can't go through 6 pages to find out but firstly, snark like this doesn't help you.

But are you "close to a +3" ? Or a "3" ?

TIA

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

taking swing advice from random people on the internet is not a good way to get to +3. find an instructor and stick with them

But that would involve abandoning a Walter Mitttyesque online persona and fantasy world and actually facing up to facts.

I dropped from a 13 to a 5 with good quality instruction (from Driver to Putter and all the way in between) and structured practice sessions. That was based on playing about 35-40 rounds a year, almost entirely without warm ups prior to playing.

I can't even imagine getting to scratch from 5 without a load of actual playing and some very serious time spent on my short game and putting, as well as range time. I have played with really good golfers, and it's usually the short game and course management that stand out the most, not dry ball numbers off a mat.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

if there's not much else wrong with my swing, how do i get my right upper arm more perpendicular with the ground? yes i realize the rest of my game sucks atm, i would probably average five 3-putts a round. i still am firm of my belief that short game is still a band-aid for a bad long game, so i want to get good at the 80% that matters before focusing on the 20%. and i know analytics backs it up. i still have a ways to go for the long game, driver especially.

You're steep, w/ no unfold of right arm and body is off plane and extended to compensate, I would say there's plenty wrong and the mentality that short game is a "band aid" is even more off.

Thanks for taking a look. Not too sure what you mean though, clarification would be appreciated.

As for short game, I could be wrong. But the biggest thing separating us and the pros is the long game, so I believe that's the most important. Plus long game mistakes can really balloon scores, whereas it's limited with the short game. Focusing more on short game is like a football team wanting to focus more on field goals. Yea it's nice to have, but the winners score touchdowns.

You're steep, w/ no unfold of right arm and body is off plane and extended to compensate, I would say there's plenty wrong and the mentality that short game is a "band aid" is even more off.

Thanks for taking a look. Not too sure what you mean though, clarification would be appreciated.

As for short game, I could be wrong. But the biggest thing separating us and the pros is the long game, so I believe that's the most important. Plus long game mistakes can really balloon scores, whereas it's limited with the short game. Focusing more on short game is like a football team wanting to focus more on field goals. Yea it's nice to have, but the winners score touchdowns.

you could not be more wrong about the short game. Short game is the insurance policy. It's what keeps your round going when you miss a green or go for a par 5 in two to get up/down for a birdie. The pros actually don't worry as much about hitting fairways. Their short game is much better than amateurs.

To get to a +3, you will need to be a well rounded golfer. You also need to play alot of golf on a golf course.

As for your elbow, I'm saying that it flies out at the top and never gets back down in front of you. Practice hitting balls holding a small ball between your elbows. That will give you the feeling of keeping them together and pointed down.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I'm a ball striking advocate all the way but to dismiss short game like that is crazy.

For someone shooting 85s to think that one can play golf hitting every green leaving a reasonably short birdie putt every time is mentally retarded I'm golfing terms

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

I can relate to your swing because I see my uglier one in yours. There's 3 commonalities seen with all the sub 5 players I spent a round with. They have great rhythm/balance they have super solid short games and they get the shaft at or under plane consistently. That's about it, the style and equipment vary a lot.

You're down swing plane is too steep. Compare body angles (too upright), right arm angle (a lack of unfold) and shaft plane to Pro's in still photos. BP mentioned elbow "not in front". I would add arms are not enough in front of torso and they need to get there sooner. So you setup with shoulders off plane, and stay that way to compensate for it. You have a decent swing but you'll always be steep and it's going to screw your long game to hell. Everything I'm saying, I gleaned from (my experience and) listening to the teachers who chime in on this forum. You would do well for yourself, to read up and better yet pony up for their wisdom.

As to short game, I consider it half the game (it is on scorecard), so getting solid from 100 yards in is mandatory to be sub 5. I don't think much of stroke gains stats and comparing them to PGA pros and is at best delusional. If duffers played on their conditions, their shortcomings would see full light of day. So my advice, based on flawed experience of trying right game and get below 5 for past 3 years is:

Develop a killer short game first. Wedge and putter are the hero clubs. Short game progress, can go really fast in comparison to long game improvement. You'll need it to offset erratic swing change progress.

Stop hitting so many 7 irons and practice hitting at least a 3 club differential w/ 1 or 2 swings each and develop swing habits that allow for that.

Play more.

Address the rather sharp flaw you have and do use a pro to help you get it right. That's not going to get fixed in 6 weeks or even 6 months but without that fix you'll rely on exquisite timing to shoot great and likely hood of pulling/ pushing, going OTT, getting stuck and flipping will always be too high to hit a ton of fairways and greens. You'll do great for 6-9 holes but will always have blow ups without addressing such a fundamental flaw. You have a good floor to work from but your approach to improve on it is naive. You're young, it's forgivable. :)

There are many ways for an amateur to get to +3 territory. Every one of them includes a very good to phenomenal short game.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I'm trying to do the opposite!

I'm trending to a +2.7 and I'm trying to get it down to a 0 to make these club handicapped events a bit more bearable. :)

I have 3 young kids and an awesome wife. I certainly don't practice more than once a week. When I do practice, it's efficient. I don't really even practice to get better, I go with what feels good, what works at the time, and that's it. When I hit balls before a round, I hit a ton of wedges and short irons, and use whatever driver swing shows up that day. I putt about the same amount of time as I hit balls before each round or anytime I practice. No matter how I'm hitting the ball, I manage the hell out of all of my rounds when I'm trying to play well. It doesn't matter how well your hitting the ball, if you aren't hitting crisp wedges within 5 to 15 feet consistently, and short irons within 10-20 feet, and you aren't confident in the flat stick and rolling in putts, you will barely sniff scratch, much less +3.

With all of that being said, good luck. I know nothing about your game and you very well could be on your way.

LOL I’m going to have to keep an eye out for the sand baggers playing off scratch. This is the ultimate humble brag!

IF MORE GOLFERS FIGURED OUT HOW TO PLAY THE GAME AND DITCH THE EQUIPMENT OBSESSION, AS WELL AS OBSESSING OVER TECHNIQUE, BETTER GOLF CAN BE ACHIEVED.

??AMEN BROTHER??

I always get carried away when I read a great thought, post or quote and I say that it’s the best that I’ve ever read and Jesus, just on Obes’ stuff alone there must be 2-3 dozen, lmao ??, however your comment above is easily one of the 2-3 top thoughts on the game in this section.

There’s a reason that 96-98% of all golfers suck and I think that your thoughts summarized, oh, about 98%+ of those guys, lolol

Great stuff Blakester?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

TAKING SWING ADVICE FROM RANDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO GET TO +3. FIND A SWING INSTRUCTOR AND STICK WITH THEM.

THIS would be right beside Blake’s post!!

There ya have it~

Two posts, three sentences and if someone followed the advice given, while they may or may not get to +3, they would without a doubt in my mind Play the best golf of their life and closer to their potential.

As always, just my .03 worth?

Great stuff Pin?

Stay well,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

There are many ways for an amateur to get to +3 territory. Every one of them includes a very good to phenomenal short game.

5 3-putts a round isnt part of that equation either. Heck breaking 80 isnt possible with that sort of putting

Good luck in your quest. I think your goals are lofty, which is fine, but how you approach your goals says a lot about your determination. Looks like you posted this thread to get advice, but then haven't been using most of it....so in actuality, it seems you posted this not to actually get better, but to get a rise out of Golf WRX.

For myself, I've read through this thread and think this is the season I take note of:

Short Game > Long Game

and finally start playing Golf to the level I know I'm capable of.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Continuing from this thread http://www.golfwrx.c...y-ready-for-it/

Little bit about me - I'm close to a +3. Played golf all throughout my childhood and on the high school team, best I got to was an inconsistent 3.

The best you've been is a 3, and you're "pretty close to a +3"?

More power to ya, but I'd take action on this, if only because you're not being realistic. Going from a 3 to a +3 is probably 20 times harder than going from a 9 to a 3. It's not a linear progression.

How old are you, and are you going to post up your GHIN with T scores? And will you post video of your swing?

(even though I hit my long irons well) What club is this? It is just short of my 6iron ball speed but has half the spin........also - turn on the 50shot tracer if you gonna post up, infact better still, dump the export of the shot history

If I want to improve 6-8 strokes in a year, I'm not sure I want to listen to the guy who improved 2 strokes in 4 years.

Late to the party and I can't go through 6 pages to find out but firstly, snark like this doesn't help you.

But are you "close to a +3" ? Or a "3" ?

TIA

OK, I read the whole thread (at least your posts).

And saw the video. My best guesstimate, since you couldn't be bothered to answer, is you're pretty clearly not a +3, and if you think you'd 3-putt 5 times a round, you're not a 3 either.

Good luck in your quest. Mine's "scratch" but I don't think I'll quite get there.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X