MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I watched about 30 minutes of Riv last night. What a fun tournament.

Saw Phil hit DOTD out of the rough, then follow it up with a shot through a piece of bark he couldn't move. He left himself this 12 foot downhill putt that guys were hitting 5 feet past the hole. He had an 80 yard shot almost from the side of 10.

Saw Uhlein lay up on 10 and hit one closer than ANYONE. Freddie Jacobsen with a sick squeezy sand smooch to about 4 feet from 60 yards. Saw DJ hit a tree with an approach and still make par. Saw a chip-in eagle. Some dreadful chips, and a bunch of short missed putts.

Spieth looked like trash when I was watching, but is in the lead as of now. Good event.

Yet people talk about P3. SMH.

(I think I may try to get 50% or more of my posts to be non subtle fabb trolls)

giphy.gif

I watched about 30 minutes of Riv last night. What a fun tournament.

Saw Phil hit DOTD out of the rough, then follow it up with a shot through a piece of bark he couldn't move. He left himself this 12 foot downhill putt that guys were hitting 5 feet past the hole. He had an 80 yard shot almost from the side of 10.

Saw Uhlein lay up on 10 and hit one closer than ANYONE. Freddie Jacobsen with a sick squeezy sand smooch to about 4 feet from 60 yards. Saw DJ hit a tree with an approach and still make par. Saw a chip-in eagle. Some dreadful chips, and a bunch of short missed putts.

Spieth looked like trash when I was watching, but is in the lead as of now. Good event.

Yet people talk about P3. SMH.

(I think I may try to get 50% or more of my posts to be non subtle fabb trolls)

giphy.gif

HA HAH!!!

giphy.gif

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Gotta give Fabb some Netflix props for pimping out Dark. Tried to watch just the first episode last night and got sucked into watching two.

Have Tuesday off too, 10/10 will binge the whole show this weekend.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Was Spieth's round smoke and mirrors yesterday? His stat line didn't indicate his scoring would be sustainable, and City said he looked less than stellar.

Gotta give Fabb some Netflix props for pimping out Dark. Tried to watch just the first episode last night and got sucked into watching two.

Have Tuesday off too, 10/10 will binge the whole show this weekend.

It's so good. And you won't have to wait forever for the second season, like I have since the first season dropped.

Media talk Friday :

Dark was cool. Got confusing at the end, but not so much so that one wouldn't like it.

I've heard that Russian Dolls is good and sort of has a "Groundhog Day" thing going. Similarly, "Happy Death Day 2U" just came out. The first one was a Groundhog's Day horror movie (like Edge of Tomorrow was a Groundhog's Day action movie). We're watching Russian Dolls this weekend.

Don't know if anyone saw a trailer for the new Danny Boyle movie. . .<something happens> and all memory of the Beatles and their songs are wiped from the earth (even their wiki page doesn't exist). Except for ONE GUY (a struggling musician) who ends up becoming a huge star because he's "writing" all these great songs. It looks pretty funny.

I mentioned recently we just picked up HBO again. Barry was amazing (one of my faves in a long time. Dark. Funny. Weird. Great supporting cast). Also, there was a show we watched back when we had HBO that is now through it's 3rd season : High Maintenance. It's about a guy who delivers pot in New York City (Brooklyn?) on his bicycle, but it's not like it's a big druggie show or something. It's more like a bunch of short stories about the daily lives of people. Tons of different, great actors. Some episodes, the dealer is barely in it. The music in it is always good.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I started watching Pure on...whatever channel its on. Its about a Mennoninte preacher trying to take on the mennonite mob. It sounds like a terrible premise but I've been surprised at how good its been. No actors you've ever heard of. The one lead actor for the first four episodes I thought it was one of the leads from Heroes - same glasses, sounds the same, looks the same - but they arent even related. It freaks me out even more now that I know they *arent* the same person.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I saw this linked from the home page.

https://golfweek.com/2019/02/14/lucy-li-tony-romo-blow-to-amateur-golf/

I feel a bit less up in arms about the issue than Shack appears to.

I think the bigger travesty in amateur golf is the ability to get one's status back. Amateur golf is full of ex professional golfers. I kind of wish it was made so that once you give up your am status, you're done. No coming back.

I saw this linked from the home page.

https://golfweek.com/2019/02/14/lucy-li-tony-romo-blow-to-amateur-golf/

I feel a bit less up in arms about the issue than Shack appears to.

I think the bigger travesty in amateur golf is the ability to get one's status back. Amateur golf is full of ex professional golfers. I kind of wish it was made so that once you give up your am status, you're done. No coming back.

I don’t agree. So you just don’t want the best players to be Ams? What’s the difference between playing four years in college and four years college and two years on mini tours once you’re 28?

I'm totally cool with "masters" amateurs (post-collegiate) taking money for personality-type functions. If Paige Spiranac wants to take a bunch of endorsement cash and stay an amateur, go ahead. It's money derived from her looks and personality, not golf ability. This is a newer age of advertisements and instragram influencers and online celebrity personalities. So Romo gets a break from me. No big deal. Li is an actual amateur and should probably have her status revoked. The endorsements she gets are directly related to her golfing ability.

I also have zero problem with ex-pros playing amateur events. What's the problem? They are amateur events. The best amateurs aren't ex-pros, they are the up and coming pros-to-be. The US Amateur was so dominated by young amateurs that they had to create an entire second championship to give the older amateurs a shot (the Mid-Am). If some guy that couldn't make it on the Web.com tour wants to play the US Mid-Am, that's fine by me.

Its a joke that every year at the US Am there are always guys who played on Tour for X amount of years, then...I dont know, they couldnt keep their card so they founded their own insurance agency. They sell insurance for a while and then get their "am status" back. If you were on the PGA Tour - you are not an amateur golfer and should never be eligible to be one again. I dont care if the fine print says you can be one.

Guys who made it to the tour - even if you couldnt make it on the tour - they had access to money/training/facilities etc that most ams cant dream of having. Just because you couldnt hack it and you "suck more" now then you did then - you want your status back? Too bad.

Goes against the "spirit" of the rule to me.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

BTW I'm absolutely a complete hypocrite on this issue. I won too much cash on a local am tour years ago that I lost my status - not a ton of money, mid four figures but it was enough. I wanted to play in the state mid-am and was deemed ineligible. Had to apply for my status back and agreed to not play in those events for an additional year - I had already not played for a year so it was two years total.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Its a joke that every year at the US Am there are always guys who played on Tour for X amount of years, then...I dont know, they couldnt keep their card so they founded their own insurance agency. They sell insurance for a while and then get their "am status" back. If you were on the PGA Tour - you are not an amateur golfer and should never be eligible to be one again. I dont care if the fine print says you can be one.

Guys who made it to the tour - even if you couldnt make it on the tour - they had access to money/training/facilities etc that most ams cant dream of having. Just because you couldnt hack it and you "suck more" now then you did then - you want your status back? Too bad.

Goes against the "spirit" of the rule to me.

i get that. but should

https://msga.org/2018-msga-player-of-the-year-awards-announced/

be ineligible because of

http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=6258

(and others like it)

??

To me he should clearly be eligiable. He's an am. And he's really really good. so be it.

I don't agree. So you just don't want the best players to be Ams? What's the difference between playing four years in college and four years college and two years on mini tours once you're 28?

I just think it's unfair that people can dedicate a part of their life to pursuing the game as a professional, and then get amateur status back. Spending two years on mini tours, working on the golf game for a living is enormous.

I like the idea that if you want to be an amateur golfer, you stay an amateur golfer. You don't get to go dabble, or even spend a significant amount of time as a professional, then just jump back into playing with true amateurs.

I think it's a weak argument to say that it's "unfair" because someone dedicated part of their life to golf. There's all sorts of disparity in opportunity to improve. If I had executive money, I could join one of the private courses nearby and it'd then be possible for me to practice a bit every single day. If I had trust fund money I could retire and go play all day. Jeff Knox is an amateur who has won the Georgia Mid-Am, but he's rich as eff and has a membership at Augusta. Is that more unfair than a guy who played on the web.com 5 years ago and now holds down a full time job? Maybe. That's how it goes though.

It's just another swing and miss from the USGA.

On one front they're banging down DC's door for winning 5 grand or whatever, playing some net tournament series, to take his amateur status away. On another, they're letting people who at some point willingly forfeited their amateur status to play the game professionally back into the field to play with people that never did so.

It's a joke. You hear stories about people winning big cash prizes for a hole-in-one, and the USGA coming after their am status. Let's say any of us won $50k for a hole-in-one. Every one of us is gonna take that $50k and whatever penalty time the USGA wants us to serve. What's the point? They're protecting the amateur game from some Joe Hack that made a hole-in-one, but not from former professional golfers.

They might as well just let PGA of America professionals play amateur golf as well, provided they stick to playing only in amateur events and not anything professional. Those guys spend less time on their games than most serious Ams do.

Winegardner, 28, grew up in the area and is a graduate of Coastal Carolina University. He had a brief stint as a professional before regaining his amateur status. Asked if he would pursue a similar schedule in 2019 to the one just completed, he replied, “If Dad gives me the time off I will.” Senior standout Tom Winegardner owns an automobile business and Charlie works for him.

I'm guessing Daddy will give junior the time off.

It's just another swing and miss from the USGA.

On one front they're banging down DC's door for winning 5 grand or whatever, playing some net tournament series, to take his amateur status away. On another, they're letting people who at some point willingly forfeited their amateur status to play the game professionally back into the field to play with people that never did so.

It's a joke. You hear stories about people winning big cash prizes for a hole-in-one, and the USGA coming after their am status. Let's say any of us won $50k for a hole-in-one. Every one of us is gonna take that $50k and whatever penalty time the USGA wants us to serve. What's the point? They're protecting the amateur game from some Joe Hack that made a hole-in-one, but not from former professional golfers.

They might as well just let PGA of America professionals play amateur golf as well, provided they stick to playing only in amateur events and not anything professional. Those guys spend less time on their games than most serious Ams do.

Now we're talking the same language. The USGA being totally haphazard about how they do things is ridiculous.

I think it'd be a good thing if PGA Professionals got to play amateur events. Give them a reason to get out and compete, rather than avoiding tournaments because they can't beat the playing pros.

Basically, the only people that I think should qualify as professional golfers are those that have played in a professional tournament and been eligible for prize money. And by "professional tournament", there probably aren't many I'd qualify like that. Basically just events that are put on by a small handful of tours like the PGA, Web, Champions, Euro, etc. I don't care if someone won $1000 on a local mini-tour then went out and won their state Mid-Am.

I was being tongue-in-cheek about letting PGA TEACHING Professionals play amateur events, because the USGA seems to have no problems with former PLAYING professionals jumping back into amateur golf.

There are whole series of events put on by the PGA for PGA of America members, Sully. Events for pros local sections, maybe regional events, and national level events.

Although those aren't without controversy, either. Omar Uresti has come under fire multiple times in recent years for getting to the PGA Championship through the PGA Professionals National Championship.

NLU asks their guests "When is the last time you paid to play golf?"

It would be obviously be impossible to implement but it's a decent rule of thumb for permanent loss of amateur status. If you've been able to go an extended time post-college without paying for your rounds, then you lose your eligibility permanently. Call it 6+ months or whatever.

I bought the most frivolous but excellent gadget this week. It's a specialized $40 ice cube tray that makes clear ice. Buying an expensive thing to make pretty looking ice is possibly even more privileged than the adult male whose dad is giving him the day off work to play an amateur golf tournament. Some kids will be going to bed hungry tonight while I'm sipping on a nice cocktail without cloudy ice disturbing my pleasure.

BTW I'm absolutely a complete hypocrite on this issue. I won too much cash on a local am tour years ago that I lost my status - not a ton of money, mid four figures but it was enough. I wanted to play in the state mid-am and was deemed ineligible. Had to apply for my status back and agreed to not play in those events for an additional year - I had already not played for a year so it was two years total.

You serious Clark?

That has got to be the stupidest thing ever. USGA needs to use some on sense.

Wait... I can't believe I just wrote that.

They sent you a letter?