2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Never seen so much plumb bobbing on three foot putts.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I was on the Hive web site. I see a April event scheduled for Whiskey Creek. I may be interested. Haven't played much the last two years due to injury but this is 5 minutes from my house.

If I can swing this, no pun intended, what is the process? I have a USGA handicap. I don't have a snowballs chance in hell playing anywhere close to it right now.

Thanks in advance.

Well, get in touch with Eagle, FAbb, or baddomes and give them your email. Then wait for an email in regards to the TRU event, and sign up.

Just checking dates and it looks like a similar schedule for me this year. I’m 50/50 on the Vernal, in for TRU and the ICC, out for June and July, back in for the rest of the year, barring a complete meltdown at work in November.

Fun times ahead, y’all.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

I was on the Hive web site. I see a April event scheduled for Whiskey Creek. I may be interested. Haven't played much the last two years due to injury but this is 5 minutes from my house.

If I can swing this, no pun intended, what is the process? I have a USGA handicap. I don't have a snowballs chance in hell playing anywhere close to it right now.

Thanks in advance.

You're not in the Hive, or on the mailing list, right?

We've had so much new interest over the last year that I can't keep track of everything, but I thought we had an "auxiliary" list that we sent to people who are not official members that informed them. Anyway, if you're not a member, you're allowed to play in 2 events before having to join. The application will probably go out the week after Vernal, so about that time, make sure you're in touch with someone. Fabb is TD for that this year.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

BTW -- another strong week for RealSneek in the pool. He's been nailing it and if JT had FOUR PUTTED a little less, he might have won this week, too.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

BTW -- another strong week for RealSneek in the pool. He's been nailing it and if JT had FOUR PUTTED a little less, he might have won this week, too.

It's hard to complain about earning nearly 800k points in the pool. But damn if I wasn't pretty confident most of yesterday that JT was going to give me back to back W's.

Me and the roommate went out for a friend's birthday last night. I turned the TV off just after JT hit the green on 13. About a half hour later I checked my phone and saw he had 4-putt 13 and then 3-putt 14 for good measure. WTF JT?

I thought for a minute yesterday Leishman had a chance to back into this. But he went bogey bogey down the finish to flush that away. Still another good finish, I think I pushed into 8th in my pool. Which means nothing this early in the year but I guess its better than not being that high. There was a chance on Friday though that DJ, Xander and Bubba would all miss the cut - which was about half our pool. Not *that* would have been a great finish. As it was only 4 people took JT and 3 had Leishman so its a decent week overall.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I don't know. It seems like the whole golf universe was actively rooting against JB Holmes. He really is maddening to watch. The announcers brought it up yesterday, but a lot of his pre-shot stuff he could be doing while his playing partners are hitting. Instead he waits until they hit and then goes through the whole thing.

I don't know. It seems like the whole golf universe was actively rooting against JB Holmes. He really is maddening to watch. The announcers brought it up yesterday, but a lot of his pre-shot stuff he could be doing while his playing partners are hitting. Instead he waits until they hit and then goes through the whole thing.

It seems like he won't even take a club out of the bag until they have both hit.

Or, he won't start reading his putt until they're completely done. Like he just stands there "checked out' until it's his turn.

And, then, his pre-shot routine still seems to be about 60 seconds, maybe longer on putts.

It's so bad.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

JB Holmes surely isn’t completely disconnected from social media. How is he computing all this negative feedback this morning. My guess is he’s really thinking “these nerds can all go pound sand. Each shot on Sunday has hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line and I’m going to take my damned time.” If that’s true, then screw him!

Thats my real issue with him. For the most part, I dont care about his pre shot routine. Its just that he just doesnt start his PSR until its his turn. They showed him a few times on the greens yesterday where he and his caddie were standing off to the side just standing there doing nothing. Then when it was his turn, he broke out his book and started to get into it.

Morning Drive absolutely ripped the tour this morning for not doing anything about it in the bigger picture. JB wasnt even put on the clock yesterday even though the group was more than two holes behind at least twice on the back nine. MD brought up a good point this morning though. Maybe we should all be routing for JB Holmes to be in the last couple groups every week - it might be the only thing that forces the tour to do anything about it. I'll pass on that.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Thanks in advance.

You're not in the Hive, or on the mailing list, right?

We've had so much new interest over the last year that I can't keep track of everything, but I thought we had an "auxiliary" list that we sent to people who are not official members that informed them. Anyway, if you're not a member, you're allowed to play in 2 events before having to join. The application will probably go out the week after Vernal, so about that time, make sure you're in touch with someone. Fabb is TD for that this year.

I am not a member. I don't have a problem having to join. Just not sure if or how much I will be able to play this year.

Will do. Thanks.

Thats my real issue with him. For the most part, I dont care about his pre shot routine. Its just that he just doesnt start his PSR until its his turn. They showed him a few times on the greens yesterday where he and his caddie were standing off to the side just standing there doing nothing. Then when it was his turn, he broke out his book and started to get into it.

Morning Drive absolutely ripped the tour this morning for not doing anything about it in the bigger picture. JB wasnt even put on the clock yesterday even though the group was more than two holes behind at least twice on the back nine. MD brought up a good point this morning though. Maybe we should all be routing for JB Holmes to be in the last couple groups every week - it might be the only thing that forces the tour to do anything about it. I'll pass on that.

I can't recall the announcers ever calling someone out like they did JB yesterday. They talk when people are on the clock, but they never outright say things like "he should have been getting ready". I got a good chuckle.

I'm not sure if JB is slow, or he just slows down when under pressure. I think the latter, but I can't exactly tell because the only time he's on TV is when he's under pressure.

There was that shot where he was in a bunker and drilled it into the face? After he took relief and after he took a drop - I think he took three minutes from that point to hit a 125 yard shot. He took seven practice swings. Christ man, get on with it.

He always says "well, I havent been penalized and I'm playing for a lot of money" - sort of his stock answer. No argument I guess, he hasnt been penalized. But *every* guy out there is playing for the same money and wants to win. Not just you.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Maybe interesting only to me in OAD:

How many highly owned players posted the same 72 hole number: Finau, Woods, Cantlay, Bubba, X, BDC.

18/29 in HBD's pool

14/23 in another OAD I'm in

6/6 in my smaller dinner pool

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Y'all want a pretty good putting drill. I'd kind of forgotten about it, but I was doing some putting yesterday and I'd run through my other drills. . .the "pull back" drill. I was reminded that it's a really good drill.

The "pull back" game is this : you putt. If you miss, you pull the putt back one putter length and try to sink. You will never have a putt under 3 feet (the length of your putter). If you have a 25 inch, or 48 inch putter, maybe just pull it back 3 feet.

I put down the balls in a few different locations for a hole. . .anywhere between 20 and 40 feet (don't do them all from the same spot). For 4 balls, I make each hole par 10. That wold be 2 2-putts and 2 3-putts. And, that's a tough par. Yesterday, I started 8, 9 and played 7 holes for a 72. Took a couple of 12's and maybe even a 13.

If you're playing 3 balls per hole, 8 is probably a good par (2 3's and 1 2).

Very good drill because

1) You're definitely trying to sink the first one.

2) If you DON'T sink the first one, you're trying to keep it close

3) You're working on a lot of putts in the 4-8 foot range, a VERY key range for scoring.

4) It's a "scored" putting drill so the putts are, in a sense, "meaningful".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Never seen so many missed 4 footers. Crazy

it's very funny when someone, say Justin Thomas, is standing over a 3 footer, they have the "worm camera" on it. You can clearly see the 3 dots on the back of that fresh Scotty, and he totally misses the hole. Or same for Spieth.

If the putters are going to get a boost when they're dropping, they gotta take the downside, too.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i think WHY JB does what he does is interesting.

it is absolutely intentional that he doesn't start figuring out how shot until it's his turn right? I'm making the assumption he's not just a clueless weekend warrior donk. agree?

My guess is that he's doing like an active mental engagement thing? wait wait wait wait wait ENGAGE PSR HIT SHOT DISENGAGE wait wait wait wait. like he has a process and he doesn't want his process interrupted by anyone else's timing (which would be ironic). he also could just be playing slow to piss everyone off. trying to find a small edge.

he wouldn't get an invite to play with me

In my old apartment I did that drill a lot City. I had a parquet floor where each tile was 9 inches, and I'd put on the carpet right where it met the wood floor so I could see the distances. I'd do 6 tiles (3 feet) then increments of 2 tiles, so 3 feet, 4.5 feet, 6 feet, 7.5 feet, 9 feet. Unless I'm reading your post wrong though, I did it the opposite way you do it. I started at 3 feet, and if I made it I moved back. Every make I moved back one position, and every miss I moved closer.

I should set that up and do it again. Lately I've just been hitting 4-5 footers a lot. I recently made a drastic putting change and moved from the "Justin Rose" claw (two fingers from right hand on top) to the "Fleetwood" claw (no fingers on top). I also removed the pinstripe from the top of the sully spider. No great reason for that, but felt like I was trying too hard to line it up exactly.

Never seen so many missed 4 footers. Crazy

it's very funny when someone, say Justin Thomas, is standing over a 3 footer, they have the "worm camera" on it. You can clearly see the 3 dots on the back of that fresh Scotty, and he totally misses the hole. Or same for Spieth.

If the putters are going to get a boost when they're dropping, they gotta take the downside, too.

spieth. EIGHT ONE yesterday. so i'm in a big one and done along with ours. i'm texting with a buddy of mine and he LOLs at spieth's round and follows it up with "he'll still be top five owned at the masters right!!". To me picking him is completely insane. So we made a bet. If Spieth is in the top 5 he gets to make my one and done selection at the barbasol. If he's not in the top-5 most picked i get to make his OAD selection at the barbasol. i like the bet. only problem is that my friend is someone you should never ever bet against. he's just smarter than me. and basically everyone else.

HBD are we doing the opposite field events? puerto rico, barbasol, etc. or no?

i think WHY JB does what he does is interesting.

it is absolutely intentional that he doesn't start figuring out how shot until it's his turn right? I'm making the assumption he's not just a clueless weekend warrior donk. agree?

My guess is that he's doing like an active mental engagement thing? wait wait wait wait wait ENGAGE PSR HIT SHOT DISENGAGE wait wait wait wait. like he has a process and he doesn't want his process interrupted by anyone else's timing (which would be ironic). he also could just be playing slow to piss everyone off. trying to find a small edge.

he wouldn't get an invite to play with me

Yeah, I kind of assume he doesn't want to start his "processing" until he can fully commit to it. But, you combine that along with the fact that his processing seems extra long, it's a two-fer.

It feels like (from the outside) that he's just not a confident thinker. He's a confident golfer. But, as a thinker, it feels like he's going, "ok, 181, 7 iron. But, is the wind a little stronger than I thought? Is it a little down hill? Can I not miss long?" practice swing, "we're sure it's a 7 iron right?" practice swing. "yeah, commit to the 7 iron". practice swing, "what's the target again? TV tower?" Practice swing.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

In my old apartment I did that drill a lot City. I had a parquet floor where each tile was 9 inches, and I'd put on the carpet right where it met the wood floor so I could see the distances. I'd do 6 tiles (3 feet) then increments of 2 tiles, so 3 feet, 4.5 feet, 6 feet, 7.5 feet, 9 feet. Unless I'm reading your post wrong though, I did it the opposite way you do it. I started at 3 feet, and if I made it I moved back. Every make I moved back one position, and every miss I moved closer.

I should set that up and do it again. Lately I've just been hitting 4-5 footers a lot. I recently made a drastic putting change and moved from the "Justin Rose" claw (two fingers from right hand on top) to the "Fleetwood" claw (no fingers on top). I also removed the pinstripe from the top of the sully spider. No great reason for that, but felt like I was trying too hard to line it up exactly.

That's not what I mean.

Make it easy : you have one ball. 25 foot putt.

You miss it 1 foot long. You PULL IT BACK A PUTTER LENGTH ON THAT LINE and try to make -- what is now -- a four footer.

You roll that 2 feet past. Now, you pull it back on that line a putter length. You have a 5 footer. You sink it. You just made a 3 with that ball.

I might have written the original so it sounded like you pull it back from where you hit the original putt.

It's clear if you already knew what I was talking about. LOL.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Now I see.

My drill is better.

What's the end goal? To be putting from the driveway?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green