MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Did we have a conversation recently about everyone's preferred rain jacket/brand? Was there a consensus?

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Did we have a conversation recently about everyone's preferred rain jacket/brand? Was there a consensus?

I just got a Proquip Aquastorm px1 rain jacket and pants a few weeks back. This weekend will be the true test.

If this fails, then I'm moving onto galvin green or kjus.

I don't know about the PX1, but I've got the PX5 and it's fantastic. It's my favorite rain jacket I've used. It feels like it has more stretch than other jackets I've used. It fits, and moves very well. I've typically hated swinging in rain jackets, but the PX5 is great. I wear it all the time even just in cooler weather, to keep the wind out.

I got a Zero Restriction Gore Tex on Amazon a couple years ago and am very satisfied.

Also investing in an OR Seattle Sombrero to keep in your car is a good idea in my opinion.

Siegel if you need something last minute, Lululemon has a good "rainy" that I recently purchased and tested on walks to the metro. Waterproof, but not as breathable as goretex. I was in the one on 14th street last night looking around and they had a couple of colors. Not golf specific, but you can wear it otherwise

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/mens-jackets-and-outerwear/Outpour-Shell-MD/_/prod9090672?color=35487

I think GG, Proquip and Kjus are definitely the top 3? I have had GG jackets and pants for the last few years. I love them. I've bought most of my stuff from golfposer on Black Friday deals and you can usually find good pricing especially if you are buying stuff that is a season old. The pants were expensive but I think this will be the 5th season I've had them and they are really comfortable - much better size options available than most other brands and I easily will wear them for cold or windy weather.

But I also have a Sun Mountain long sleeve waterproof jacket that I won at a club event though, its also very comfortable.

IMO high end waterproofs are sort of like drivers these days. Lots of companies make great ones, just find one that you think fits well.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

i’ve got a Zero Restriction suit with goretex that I bought years ago. Still performs great. Has the snap off half sleeves. It was their “packable waterproof” line I think. Fits easily in golf bag without causing too much extra bulk.

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

ZR jacket for me as well. Has survived a week in Ireland and a dozen rainy swim meets. FJ pants as well, but they don't breathe as well.

I'm a big GG fan, but they don't fit larger sizes as well.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I hate golf rain jackets. Despise. I've given up on trying to get one. I now just use the Clic/Umbrella and a waterproof vest. It does the trick for all but the heaviest rain or when it's 40 degrees and rainy, which I can accept. There are a few cases where I would want/need to play with no other options (like a golf trip, or Hive event), but those are few and far between.

I'm jelly enough about everyone's upcoming trip that I've been weather watching Pinehurst. Friday looks wet, but your weekend totals are pretty low. I'd be more worried about having some extra shoe and sock changes.

I hate golf rain jackets. Despise. I've given up on trying to get one. I now just use the Clic/Umbrella and a waterproof vest. It does the trick for all but the heaviest rain or when it's 40 degrees and rainy, which I can accept. There are a few cases where I would want/need to play with no other options (like a golf trip, or Hive event), but those are few and far between.

I'm jelly enough about everyone's upcoming trip that I've been weather watching Pinehurst. Friday looks wet, but your weekend totals are pretty low. I'd be more worried about having some extra shoe and sock changes.

I'm bringing about 5 pairs of shoes, ALL MY SOCKS, towels, rain gloves.

I'm just using my Marmot rain jacket. Not a golf specific one. I'll have rain pants but they're only going on if absolutely necessary.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm bringing about 5 pairs of shoes, ALL MY SOCKS, towels, rain gloves.

I'm just using my Marmot rain jacket. Not a golf specific one. I'll have rain pants but they're only going on if absolutely necessary.

i take the total opposite strategy. precip starts and rain jacket and pants are ON. can't get unwet*

*yes. i said "unwet" and not "dry"**

**and yes i understand that you do dry but it takes forever and is awful vs. just being dry

There's definitely a temperature range where rain is the worst-case scenario. Anything between 50-75* is too hot for rain pants/jacket, but too cold to get wet. Below 50 you can wear a rain suit comfortably. Above 75, especially when it's humid, it's not that bad to get a little precip on the skin.

I'd rather it be 45 and rainy than 60 and rainy. Fight me.

there's all these folks we know in town because of this craft show. it's a really crap day for it. Lots of travel and moving vehicles in and out of convention center.

Anyway. . .we had dinner reservations at this one place. They called us up and told us we were the ONLY reservations they had today. I guess they weren't planning on too many walk-ins. They were like, "you mind if we cancel so we can just not open?"

They would have stayed open, but you really want to eat at the place that stayed open so only YOU could come in at 7:15?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

there's all these folks we know in town because of this craft show. it's a really crap day for it. Lots of travel and moving vehicles in and out of convention center.

Anyway. . .we had dinner reservations at this one place. They called us up and told us we were the ONLY reservations they had today. I guess they weren't planning on too many walk-ins. They were like, "you mind if we cancel so we can just not open?"

They would have stayed open, but you really want to eat at the place that stayed open so only YOU could come in at 7:15?

No, you dont.

A hurricane hit the weekend of my bachelor party. When we asked the waitress at fogo de Chao for recommendations on where to go after dinner, she said "I dont know. As soon as you guys stop eating I'm going to go home and see if my house is flooded."

We all looked at each other and unhappily turned our cards red side up.

scene: tony romo playing in golf tournament.

man enters stage left. :"he's taking a spot from someone trying to make it."

man enters stage right : "he'll bring attention to the event and that's good for sponsors and golfers."

end scene

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Definitely not excited about the weather on Friday. It is the one day I'd really like to have no rain since we play #4. And that's the day I'm playing 36. Playing 36 in the rain could be miserable.

The bright side - will make for a very memorable trip and maybe some good stories. And more reasons to drink during the round.

Speaking of...need to go find a flask!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

You all are looking at prime temperatures for rain golf. I'd just gear up, not worry about the umbrella, and enjoy. One or more pairs of rain gloves will be a must. Those things are amazing. You could keep a grip on a golf club under water with those things on.

Check with the resort to see if they offer any drying services. At Bandon, you can just drop all your wet stuff at the main bag drop, and they'll dry it for you. The shoe dryers were clutch as well, but that's definitely a specialty item.

The courses there will drain well, too.

scene: tony romo playing in golf tournament.

man enters stage left. :"he's taking a spot from someone trying to make it."

man enters stage right : "he'll bring attention to the event and that's good for sponsors and golfers."

end scene

Serious question: Would the sponsors exemption have otherwise gone to someone who was trying to make it?

Nice snow day so far.

Threw away a bunch of $hit we don't need, and filled bags of stuff that can be donated. Got in some CSPPs. Exercised. Played with the kids a bunch. I think I'm gonna skip shoveling the snow, and just wait for nature to melt it for me.

I think a few supplies from golfworks may be delivered. I need to re-glue the FrankenTyne, and put a new PING tip on my Fubutta J to go against the XTorsion Copper in the G400 LST.

Nice snow day so far.

Threw away a bunch of $hit we don't need, and filled bags of stuff that can be donated. Got in some CSPPs. Exercised. Played with the kids a bunch. I think I'm gonna skip shoveling the snow, and just wait for nature to melt it for me.

I think a few supplies from golfworks may be delivered. I need to re-glue the FrankenTyne, and put a new PING tip on my Fubutta J to go against the XTorsion Copper in the G400 LST.

You could always order this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Black-Putter-Shaft-355-Fits-Scotty-Cameron-Models-/183292876566

Or, go full Franken and get some self-etching prime + flat black paint for the shaft

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I think I'm gonna skip shoveling the snow, and just wait for nature to melt it for me.

This is the decision now, brush the car off or hope that it all melts by the time I have to leave the house at 5a. I am guessing it melts bc its 35* now and is going to rain more latenight.

Went through a lot of old golf stuff today thats going to goodwill. Broke out the push cart, got the battery charged up and ended up finding the umbrella holder that I thought I had lost. Also have a new Clicgear rangefinder/valuables bag if anyone that has a Clic wants it next time we play. Cost is one beer.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

You all are looking at prime temperatures for rain golf. I'd just gear up, not worry about the umbrella, and enjoy. One or more pairs of rain gloves will be a must. Those things are amazing. You could keep a grip on a golf club under water with those things on.

Check with the resort to see if they offer any drying services. At Bandon, you can just drop all your wet stuff at the main bag drop, and they'll dry it for you. The shoe dryers were clutch as well, but that's definitely a specialty item.

The courses there will drain well, too.

Having a dry towel is always nice, too...and always the one thing people seem to be looking for when it’s wet. Helps keep hands dry, grips dry, carts dry.

Nice snow day so far.

Never understood federal snow days. You have to use a day of vacation right? You just get paid for work even if you don’t actually work?

Nice snow day so far.

Never understood federal snow days. You have to use a day of vacation right? You just get paid for work even if you don't actually work?

You take on the incredible risk of working for the federal government, you should get the reward.

Nice snow day so far.

Never understood federal snow days. You have to use a day of vacation right? You just get paid for work even if you don't actually work?

Isn't it just the opposite? You are given the day off (no vacation day needed) but usually end up working anyway?

by "you" I mean government employees. Not contractors.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Thankfully no ice up in Baltimore. I salted and shoveled, but the real MVP was all the closures. I'd kill to have empty downtown traffic every day.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX