2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Golf Talk Tuesday : Impending storm aside, hopefully we're rounding the corner towards spring, with golf season just around the corner. What are you going to be focusing on early in the season, to get your game going?

More consistent iron play. And maybe going somewhere for a dynamic lie fitting for my irons and wedges. It's been too long since I've done that and sometimes I feel like I'm fighting my own natural swing to get a consistent start line with those clubs.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Golf Talk Tuesday : Impending storm aside, hopefully we're rounding the corner towards spring, with golf season just around the corner. What are you going to be focusing on early in the season, to get your game going?

My snide remark about Club Champion aside, I am going to get fit for a driver this Spring.

And actually buy what the fitter recommends.

And not BST it two weeks later. <- Not sure I've ever done all three of those things.

I'll be out of town for 2.5 weeks the end of March, may do it right before then and be able to order something while I'm gone.

I have gotten to the point where I am too consistent off the tee to be hitting so many relative shorties. Just hitting it too flat and with too much spin. I think step 1 was getting a really good consistent driver swing. Step 2 is stopping trying to fit myself by just buying a bunch of stuff and hoping it works out.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

My snide remark about Club Champion aside, I am going to get fit for a driver this Spring.

And actually buy what the fitter recommends.

And not BST it two weeks later. <- Not sure I've ever done all three of those things.

I'll be out of town for 2.5 weeks the end of March, may do it right before then and be able to order something while I'm gone.

I have gotten to the point where I am too consistent off the tee to be hitting so many relative shorties. Just hitting it too flat and with too much spin. I think step 1 was getting a really good consistent driver swing. Step 2 is stopping trying to fit myself by just buying a bunch of stuff and hoping it works out.

They just opened a fairfax store so you don't have to drive up to the Rockville store.

GTT: Continue working on the fitness and the rest will follow.

I really think my fitness is worth 3 or 4 shots a round at this point. Knee is hurting less after golf these days. Keeping at it.

Had some EPPCSPC's with ahoop yesterday. Man that place was soaked. we played "Pick the puddle" on the range with the last 30 or so balls. ahoop was smoking his irons.

They must have recently picked the range because there were 200 buried range balls in front of the stalls. They use an old school tractor to pick the range at EPP, so these golf balls were really hammered into the ground. In another 1,300 years archaeologists will rediscover them.

Wind was almost dead right-to-left, and it made for some comical short irons. Starting PW's 20 yards right of the puddle we're aiming for.

I also made a cake for the first time yesterday.

Woke up and was still in bed looking through the instagram feed and came across one of those videos where they fast-forward cook/bake something in one minute. it looked good. "Ok, I guess I'm going to do that today". Roommate was pleasantly surprised when she got home from work.

Got a chance to sneak out today to enjoy some “good enough” golf weather. Had to choose between a longer drive to Burke Lake to spend some time on the range or a short drive to Pinecrest to play some soggy, goose poopy golf. Chose soggy goose poopy golf and generally glad I did. Course was empty with the exception of some “foot golfers.” Ended up hitting a few balls per hole, didn’t really keep track of score, and just hit different shots. Range may have been more productive, but it’s just more fun to get out and hoof it around.

Hey everyone,

New to the thread and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm relatively new to the Baltimore area and have been looking for a league/playing partners/tournaments.. came across the hive and was signed up for ground hog day but too bad the weather couldn't cooperate. Looking forward to hopefully playing in a few of those events later this year. Anyways, if anyone else has tomorrow off and is looking to play, let me know.

any of you guys planning to play early morning this Sunday? looking at +50% chance rain but hack I might push myself with +50 F

the truth: we're completely harmless. and welcoming. so, you don't have to worry about meeting internet golf randos... it's a fear we all had at one point, and we've all overcome it. no one's ended up dead in a ditch. well, not yet, anyway.

Except for City. He likely already has a plan to take you down.

Well, I can't do it telepathically.

But, since this is my habit, I feel like I would be better prepared for battle than any of them if we happened to have a not so merry meeting.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I also made a cake for the first time yesterday.

Woke up and was still in bed looking through the instagram feed and came across one of those videos where they fast-forward cook/bake something in one minute. it looked good. "Ok, I guess I'm going to do that today". Roommate was pleasantly surprised when she got home from work.

Sounds like something I would do after buying myself a nice driver :D

Got to 17 and had 195 in. HIt a 4 iron to 40 feet, then dropped a ball pulled out the 7 wood and hit one pin high about 22 feet.

7 wood? Do tell...must have missed this going into the bag. Or did Sull give it to you? I had a G30 7 Wood a few years back and people made fun of me constantly for it. Sold it back to Global Golf as I couldn't take the harassment.

Borrowed it from Sully. It's rocket-ball-zier.

Thought I might toss it in as a hybrid replacement.

I like the spacing of 1-4-7 at the top of the bag, but there might be a larger-than-desired gap between the 4 iron and the 7 wood. I think it's a little longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing Obee's bag this weekend. He rocks a lot of hybrids at the top. I keep toying with that idea, then I'll have a round where I rip off a bunch of sweet 4-irons. But, I have learned to trust getting a hybrid in the air a little more than a long iron lately.

I have a 20.5º hybrid which is quite a bit longer than my 21º 4 iron. And the 20.5º goes the same distance as the 24º hybrid I borrowed from Kent.

The extra length, or maybe weight profile, on some of these hybrids really makes them hard to gauge going just by loft.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTT: Driver, driver, driver. Last fall's swing changes have taken nicely with the irons, from what I can see from recent range trips. Still have no effing clue what I am doing when you put a driver in my hands*

* he said for the 8th consecutive year.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

GTT : Not much, really. I'd be kidding myself if I thought I was gonna improve one iota without putting more time in.

The rubber is really gonna meet the road in regards to maintaining fitness when regular golf becomes a thing. That's probably the top thing I'll need to keep on top of. It's going to be important to keep my discipline strong, when faced with good weather and more things pulling at the schedule strings.

I'd like to get a pre-season check lesson. Just check setup stuff, and maybe get one thing I can work for consistency and/or when things get out of whack.

One of the best things I can do for my game is to carry my mental approach from late last season into this one.

So I dont always keep up with current Matt Every news or the happenings on the web tour - but allegedly this was him during the final round of the latest web event, in the 16th fairway?

Grabbed a chair off the tee box. Not sure if this is real but it seems like it.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I'm looking forward to seeing Obee's bag this weekend. He rocks a lot of hybrids at the top. I keep toying with that idea

Same. I went to a 5h last year and actually have toyed with a 6h too, although every now and then I'll hit the 6i so good that I give up on that idea. Another problem I've had is finding one that isnt huge looking - all the ones that get down into that range of club always seem to be massive and "gameimprovementy". The Epic 3h / M3 5h are both much smaller, which I like.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He was behind JB Holmes?

The recent re-visiting of the guy I almost got in a fight with, I sat in a fairway in a passive-aggressive manner.

And, then it got aggressive-aggressive.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Put me in the "doesn't give two shiggles about what's in Obee's bag" camp.

It doesn't matter if he would beat me like a drum. What is best for his game likely has zero to do with what's best for mine. So, he plays a lot of hybrids. He probably hits the ball low.

What are you searching for, City? In one paragraph you're talking about having a 7w in what would often be a hybrid or long iron slot. In the next paragraph you're talking about toying with having more hybrids at the top. All from somebody who has historically belly ached about hybrids, and that I would argue is the best long iron player of anybody in the the club.

giphy.gif

Put me in the "doesn't give two shiggles about what's in Obee's bag" camp.

It doesn't matter if he would beat me like a drum. What is best for his game likely has zero to do with what's best for mine. So, he plays a lot of hybrids. He probably hits the ball low.

What are you searching for, City? In one paragraph you're talking about having a 7w in what would often be a hybrid or long iron slot. In the next paragraph you're talking about toying with having more hybrids at the top. All from somebody who has historically belly ached about hybrids, and that I would argue is the best long iron player of anybody in the the club.

I'm talking about probably going 1-4-7w at the top, and then maybe looking at a hybrid for the 4 iron slot.

Or even 5 iron slot.

I'm interested in seeing what Obee's bag looks like at the top because there are few people I know outside of oldies who rock more than 1 hybrid, and just want to see what his traj and gapping looks like and how it meshes with his mid irons. Btw, well before I played with you guys, I used to game these Callaway 3/4 hybrids that were shorter and I used them instead of 4/5 irons. I went driver, 4W, 3 hybrid titleist (rescue mid), 3 hybrid (cally), 4 hybrid (cally).

That 7 wood might actually be more like a 215 club, and I haven't hit it crooked yet. I've elevated it over the trees on O9 from close proximity. But like I said, that leaves a gap. I think it might be a great club for H-1, but Sunday, I tried hitting it from the back of the tee box on O-8 and hit it over the green.

I love getting lectured by FABB when I'm thinking about toying with clubs I generally hit well.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

A few years ago, my top end was D/4/7/4h/5h/6i. I might go back to that. Not sure why I ditched the 5h except ego. Then when I only had 4h, it mentally bugged me that it was a different type of club from anything else, so I put the 4i back in. But absolutely no way I hit 4i better than I hit the 4h.

5h is kind of like a 7w in that it's hard to find used clubs that aren't light or senior flex. I'd at least like a regular.

GTT - for me it will be interesting to see if my increased play/practice during the winter will translate into lower scores. I just recently changed my grip a bit to a strong grip. I was pretty neutral before. I think it's helped my swing path a bit and has helped curb my early-over-extension. I'm trying to keep the club way more inside and also I'm trying to drop my hands down and be a bit more "relaxed" (think: less tension) when I start my downswing. And keep my right elbow in. I know I grab it way too early to start my downswing, but I think I'm doing a bit better dropping it into the slot and relieving some of the tension in my swing. I'm also attempting to keep my left wrist flatter in the backswing, which has also helped.

It's all a work in progress. I'm really looking forward to playing some postable golf down in NC this coming weekend.

Domes was nice enough to offer up some of this cake to his fellow dorm-mate and it was absolutely f'n delicious. Ate piece one last night and going to eat piece two after the gym tonight.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Is "cake" all we get? What are we dealing with here? Cheesecake? Layer cake? How many layers? What type of frosting? Did you add any fruit in there? Chocolate? Vanilla? Funfetti? Fondant (NO)? Did you use a piper to add any nice flourishes? Don't leave me hanging here.

I've had it for at least a year, but I just recently opened up Kenji's Food Lab and have a few things I need to try. I bought a whole chicken for some reason today because I saw in it there. Not his book, but I also just made his sous vide pulled pork for the 2nd time. 24 hours in the sous vide, 90 minutes in the oven. My roommate is out of town, so I basically have to eat 8 pounds of pork by myself this week.

It was this one. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt82ryxo9va/ It's really annoying to try to follow a recipe on one of those videos. if you miss the .25 seconds the measurement is up on the screen you have to rewatch the entire thing.

Didn't do the triangle peanut butter cups on the top, because I am a man who calls the shots on my own cakes.

Sull I saw your latest pork photos and again, it looked delicious. How would you compare the sous vide pulled pork vs a 6-8 hour crock pot pulled pork?

Had dinner at St. Anselm on Friday and they were serving a toddy-type drink at the bar that they were using a sous vide to keep warm. 4 glass bottles in a water bath with the sous vide set at 150.

That does look tasty.

Hard to say since I haven't made pulled pork in the crock pot in the last few months. Taste wise, I can't recall. Though texture wise, I'm able to keep it in tact in the sous vide and then get it in the oven to brown. You get some tasty browned edge pieces. In the crock pot, it always fell apart when I was taking it out.

Mostly, it's easier for me to sous vide it, even though it takes more hours. It's less clean up, and the difference in time really isn't that big a deal. 6-8 hours in the crock pot means you are making dinner in the morning, or during work hours. 18-24 hours in the sous vide means you can do it the night before when you have some free time. Even working at home, it's much easier for me to make it on a weekday now.

More importantly, who made that Excel spreadsheet? It's beautiful.

Yours truely! The ocd that my wife has drilled into my head over the last ten years. A bit over kill, but hey, it is what it is.

Fabb, played Mid Pines last year, just wanted a little lite break that afternoon. We also only had 12 spots open for MP,

What's the lineup for the Pinehurst crew this weekend? Any kind of game running through the trip?

Buttery Cut is putting something together. Not sure what, and I'm not sure if everyone is game.

I have a $50 match straight up against Obee on #4 on Friday morning. That's a lot for me for a match, but I'm looking to get some blood flowing early.

On #2 on Saturday, it looks like it's going to be me and Buttery vs. Obee and Von Oberhausen in a SCRATCH MATCH. I'm looking forward to this.

Friday afternoon on the cradle is me, Obee, endlesswinterco and Fort. Obee has a standing offer out to anyone who can beat his score on the cradle. Cocktail of their choice, on him.

I'm playing with Johnny T at Tobacco Road and as far as I can remember, I've never played with him, so I'm looking forward to that.

Getting in single rounds with DT, Top.H, Eagle. One "official" round with endless and the Friday Foolaround (i'm low key looking forward to the Friday foolaround as much as anything. Cradle, Thistle, then an earlier appearance at the bar, maybe some good tobacco (and I mean that literally. . .pipe and/or cigar)).

I have multiples with both ober's, buttery, one with Siegel. I think I'm getting in none with C.Free, CJ, aiyyer, OCGolfRick. Not sure if we'll have a little "flex" in some of the pairings.

The forecasts have been crazy. Not much rain. Then you check a day later, and it's 100%. Then you check a day later and it's 50%. Can't say I'm PSYCHED about playing in the rain, but that's more of like the accumulation of what the last year has been, where tournaments have been rained out, Bethpage was partially rained out, just another rain day in a year of it.

I was actually having a pity party on the way to yoga after checking the forecasts (and I mean a pity party off a baseline of "GOING ON A GOLF TRIP", so a Privileged Pity Party), then I started thinking about everyone rolling into Pinehurst, and getting beers, and hitting putts, and getting in the car at 5AM with fort like

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and the yoga teacher was like, "think of all the wonderful things you have to be grateful for" and I was like,

giphy.gif

I'm getting very psyched.

Nice. I've got the same 4 PH courses (2,4,8,9) booked for my trip in April. Looking forward to the reviews!

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Hey boys. Got big news. I'll be back in picture soon.

like Maryland wasn't wet enough already.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green