I500 Questions and reviews...

russian7

So I had my 5i and 8i replaced due to weld failure at the toe. The replacement irons they sent are now showing weld defects again and my 6i and 7i are showing weld failures. The i500 were my first set Ping irons and I just can’t believe this is happening to a $1200 set of irons. Calling Ping back Mon. Pics below. Thinking about asking for a different set. I barely have 20 rounds on the set. So pissed!

Listen, not to be too fanboy-is, but I can see where tungsten gets welded in. It doesn't mean that it comes out of the iron. Now I know these are different, but seeing different shades of colour and a failing weld aren't necessarily the same.

I'm not going to minimise it; I'd be worried, but if they crack, you can get something else. I'd just keep playing them, and not get bothered to a great degree.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

so.... I have a set of these built to my specs ( modus 130X plus 3/4 inch length and D5) lead tape is whats currently getting them to D5 ( each head did have hotmelt when i opened them up)

Im in love with the short irons (7-pw) for sure... Retro specs so no offset and just a very good frame behind the ball.... only issue ive had is the long irons are a bit touchy off tight lies... I play alot of courses that are red clay based... so a tight lie is like thin layer of bermuda over concrete if its dry .. You have to really come in shallow and clip them perfectly to get a good strike.. as compared to a sharp edged blade im used to .. That being said i did hit 2 par 5s yesterday in 2 with the 4 and 6 irons so not at all complaining ..Just citing the differences . Good pal who is familiar with these in retro lofts suggested moving the ball back a 1/4 ball or so to help the issue . Im going to do that and bump them a degree strong in loft to try to minimize the bounce a touch .

Its funny .. I dont realy hit these any farther than the MB im coming from ( same shafts etc) but i do see retained distance on mishits , and i can flight them and move them anywhere i want to . i had added a gap wedge in because i thought the pw might not be easy to hit less than full shots with , but because the PW is so good i found myself not wanting to hit the gap....So i may add a 64 back in the bag to have a full shot 75 yard club .. we shall see .

anyway this set of irons has been the biggest pleasant surprise in a while for me . why did it take so long for someone to decide forgiveness didnt have to have 3 inches of offset ???

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Listen, not to be too fanboy-is, but I can see where tungsten gets welded in. It doesn't mean that it comes out of the iron. Now I know these are different, but seeing different shades of colour and a failing weld aren't necessarily the same.

I'm not going to minimise it; I'd be worried, but if they crack, you can get something else. I'd just keep playing them, and not get bothered to a great degree.

Here’s the thing. Those four clubs sound and feel different when struck than when I received them. After a few strikes mid round over a couple days I was wondering why the acoustics and feel were different and I noticed I was losing a few yards in the 8i (my most used club). That’s when I really noticed. It’s not just cosmetic...... Unfortunately, I just can’t let that fly. Trust me..... I really like the set and the rest of my bag is Ping G400. They’re all great...... except for these issues with the i500’s irons.

Here’s the thing. Those four clubs sound and feel different when struck than when I received them. After a few strikes mid round over a couple days I was wondering why the acoustics and feel were different and I noticed I was losing a few yards in the 8i (my most used club). That’s when I really noticed. It’s not just cosmetic...... Unfortunately, I just can’t let that fly. Trust me..... I really like the set and the rest of my bag is Ping G400. They’re all great...... except for these issues with the i500’s irons.

Yea. I’d be on the horn now to send those back. Clearly not a discolor between tungsten and steel. It may not be a crack yet. But looks like a flex at the weld. Which means the spring is sprung.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was really leaning towards these irons, but will look elsewhere due to these issues.

I wouldn’t go that far. It was posted earlier. And my rep told me that the known issues are from a certain batch ofheads. And ping is taking care of any of those. Not rare for any oem to have batch issues. So my comments weren’t meant to be negative. Just to say “ call them. You maybe due a new set “ .

That being said. Any other guys coming from a smaller iron to these ? I’d love to hear how you feel about turf interaction and what type turf you play from ( sand based , clay based , wet , dry , etc).

Practiced with mine today and still love the short irons. I’m fiddling with lie angles still on the 4-5 trying to get it just right ( have my own loft/lie machine ) .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was really leaning towards these irons, but will look elsewhere due to these issues.

I wouldn’t go that far. It was posted earlier. And my rep told me that the known issues are from a certain batch ofheads. And ping is taking care of any of those. Not rare for any oem to have batch issues. So my comments weren’t meant to be negative. Just to say “ call them. You maybe due a new set “ .

That being said. Any other guys coming from a smaller iron to these ? I’d love to hear how you feel about turf interaction and what type turf you play from ( sand based , clay based , wet , dry , etc).

Practiced with mine today and still love the short irons. I’m fiddling with lie angles still on the 4-5 trying to get it just right ( have my own loft/lie machine ) .

So that would mean Ping replaced my 5i and 8i that I already had Ping warranty with replacements from the faulty batch. My replacements have the same defect. That makes no sense. If they knew it was a “batch thing” why would I get replacements from the bad batch and not the “good” batch. This sounds a bit fishy......

So that would mean Ping replaced my 5i and 8i that I already had Ping warranty with replacements from the faulty batch. My replacements have the same defect. That makes no sense. If they knew it was a “batch thing” why would I get replacements from the bad batch and not the “good” batch. This sounds a bit fishy......

Wow. Sure. That’s makes sense. I did not know that. And am not affiliated with ping of course. Hmm. Pretty curious to see what happens with mine. I’m sure middling the short irons enough to cause issues if they are there to be had. Time will tell.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Here's the thing. Those four clubs sound and feel different when struck than when I received them. After a few strikes mid round over a couple days I was wondering why the acoustics and feel were different and I noticed I was losing a few yards in the 8i (my most used club). That's when I really noticed. It's not just cosmetic...... Unfortunately, I just can't let that fly. Trust me..... I really like the set and the rest of my bag is Ping G400. They're all great...... except for these issues with the i500's irons.

If they sound different, then ya, switch. They offered you that, so take it, I say.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I'm having a hard time seeing the 'failures' that you are trying to show in your photos. Can you see the weld line? Yes you can, but I don't think it's a 'failure'. I can see mine too, but the irons are just as yardage consistent as when new.

I've seen a few other sets in the wild and they all show the line, yet no one considers that a failure. Might just be me, but I think this is getting overblown and causing people to not consider these irons due to this perceived 'failure'.

If there is a crack felt, or visually shown beyond a weld line, then I retract my above comments.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I have seen three different sets of these fail. pretty disappointing by ping.

What do you mean fail?

welds on the face give and crack. sent back to ping, got replacement and then the same thing happened.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I'm having a hard time seeing the 'failures' that you are trying to show in your photos. Can you see the weld line? Yes you can, but I don't think it's a 'failure'. I can see mine too, but the irons are just as yardage consistent as when new.

I've seen a few other sets in the wild and they all show the line, yet no one considers that a failure. Might just be me, but I think this is getting overblown and causing people to not consider these irons due to this perceived 'failure'.

If there is a crack felt, or visually shown beyond a weld line, then I retract my above comments.

I will agree that most of what is reported is likely not any mechanical failure. But I'd certainly consider it a visual distraction and it's not particularly uniform and varies from iron to iron and really isn't something one expects from use. Exposed weld lines are really poor fit and finish in any modern consumer product, let alone a pricey golf club.

And before someone raises the point, no I don't equate this to the wear one might get from some of the dark finishes on irons that wear over time.

I'm confident that Ping will address it. They enjoy a lot of customer loyalty, but that can be easily lost.

My 6i actually has a small crack/ weld failure at the bottom of the club face. Yeah I wish it wasn’t so, but......

My 6i actually has a small crack/ weld failure at the bottom of the club face. Yeah I wish it wasn't so, but......

Shoot, sorry to hear that. Can you post a pic?

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

If Ping knows they had a problem with a batch of heads, why don’t they issue a recall? I’ve always been a Ping fan but waiting for failures to be turned in or making customers paranoid every time they hit a clanky shot doesn’t seem like the best way to address the issue (if Ping has acknowledged an issue).

This is exactly what I was thinking. My set shows discoloration along that same weld area but I have noticed no ill effects at all. Now that being said these might be the worst sounding irons I have ever hit, lol. They really have a bad clacking sound to them, IMO.

Ping is replacing the whole set now. Which I gladly appreciate, but when I asked if this has been a common issue the reply was "we've only had this happen one other time" lol! I didn't push the issue. Fingers crossed with this set on the way.

I will guess what that might really mean is that the CS person you spoke with has only taken one other call on the topic.

so.... I have a set of these built to my specs ( modus 130X plus 3/4 inch length and D5) lead tape is whats currently getting them to D5 ( each head did have hotmelt when i opened them up)

Im in love with the short irons (7-pw) for sure... Retro specs so no offset and just a very good frame behind the ball.... only issue ive had is the long irons are a bit touchy off tight lies... I play alot of courses that are red clay based... so a tight lie is like thin layer of bermuda over concrete if its dry .. You have to really come in shallow and clip them perfectly to get a good strike.. as compared to a sharp edged blade im used to .. That being said i did hit 2 par 5s yesterday in 2 with the 4 and 6 irons so not at all complaining ..Just citing the differences . Good pal who is familiar with these in retro lofts suggested moving the ball back a 1/4 ball or so to help the issue . Im going to do that and bump them a degree strong in loft to try to minimize the bounce a touch .

Its funny .. I dont realy hit these any farther than the MB im coming from ( same shafts etc) but i do see retained distance on mishits , and i can flight them and move them anywhere i want to . i had added a gap wedge in because i thought the pw might not be easy to hit less than full shots with , but because the PW is so good i found myself not wanting to hit the gap....So i may add a 64 back in the bag to have a full shot 75 yard club .. we shall see .

anyway this set of irons has been the biggest pleasant surprise in a while for me . why did it take so long for someone to decide forgiveness didnt have to have 3 inches of offset ???

That sounds about right, using lead tape to get them to D5. It also convinced me that the builder blew it with my set. I got them in Power Spec, +3/4”, DG105 and they came in at D7. I even sacrificed my first choice of the standard DG S300 to keep the weight down. They said that D7 was the best they could do!? I think they’re gonna go back for a little adjustment.

This is exactly what I was thinking. My set shows discoloration along that same weld area but I have noticed no ill effects at all. Now that being said these might be the worst sounding irons I have ever hit, lol. They really have a bad clacking sound to them, IMO.

hopefully, the next iteration of the 500, Ping will tame the sound a bit. The clanking sound we're hearing usually just means you mishit it a little bit (its worse with range balls) and believe me these irons will tell you loud and clear when you didnt get a solid strike. solid strikes with premium balls sound just as good as any club imo.

I despised the clank at first, but some good have came of this,.. it had caused me to slow down my range session and take every ball seriously.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

hopefully, the next iteration of the 500, Ping will tame the sound a bit. The clanking sound we're hearing usually just means you mishit it a little bit (its worse with range balls) and believe me these irons will tell you loud and clear when you didnt get a solid strike. solid strikes with premium balls sound just as good as any club imo.

I despised the clank at first, but some good have came of this,.. it had caused me to slow down my range session and take every ball seriously.

I love the clank. Coming from an mb it’s same same. Don’t know it was on purpose or accident. But this set really gives great feedback. Haven’t caught myself getting quick with them yet. Which is usually the issue with an iron that’s same across the face. You just start smashing away. ( ap2 716 for example ). Not with this set. Soft as anything out of the middle. Anywhere else and you’ll know it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My 6i actually has a small crack/ weld failure at the bottom of the club face. Yeah I wish it wasn't so, but......

Shoot, sorry to hear that. Can you post a pic?

Sorry they’re already on their way back to Ping

I love the clank. Coming from an mb it's same same. Don't know it was on purpose or accident. But this set really gives great feedback. Haven't caught myself getting quick with them yet. Which is usually the issue with an iron that's same across the face. You just start smashing away. ( ap2 716 for example ). Not with this set. Soft as anything out of the middle. Anywhere else and you'll know it.

I think you guys are both spot on now that I think about it. The worst of the sounds came from range sessions the last two weeks at a local mats only range with turd, old balls. Like some of the worst range balls you can imagine. And my last sesh I started getting a little loose with my swing coming very close to the hosel. Not a good sound at all. I plan on hitting the sweet spot over the next four days on a golf trip as long as the stupid hurricane does not destroy Myrtle beach before we get there.

About 20 rounds in...nada. sorry you guys are having issues, but mine look brand new still. Got them on day 1 of release.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto