I500 Questions and reviews...

russian7

Update: As I indicated, I wanted to get to the repair center at the Phoenix Ping factory. I did that this morning.

I have seven i500s. I don't have any cracks, but four of the clubs have the outline at the toe. I took those four clubs in and asked what is going on. Ping employee took a look and told me that Ping will replace the entire set, that there was a weld problem with the early builds, and that the problem is now resolved. He told me that they have the correct parts in inventory, that the order will be expedited, and my new clubs will be available in two days - this Thursday.

That clears up my confusion. There is definitely a problem, in that these outlines are likely the beginning of an eventual weld crack - it is not a benign appearance thing or a failure just in the finish, as I have been wondering. Clearly Ping wants these clubs retired, as they didn't even ask me what I wanted - they just told me that they were going to replace them, period.

That's the bad news. If you have these outlines out at the toe you are likely to encounter a weld failure at some point. So you might want to get in touch with Ping or your dealer and come up with a plan to get this taken care of in a way that doesn't impact your golf activities. I am lucky. I am right here in Phoenix over the winter, so there is zero impact to my golf activities, and only a minor inconvenience driving to the factory.

The good news is that the problem is resolved. I pushed the Ping employee on this, asking three times, "are you *positive* that this problem is understood and is resolved?" "Yes." This is very different from what Andrew was told. I presume that the difference in what we were told is that, when Andrew was going through this, Ping had not resolved the problem and could not tell him that they had resolved it, so they could only tell him at that point that it would happen again.

Today, while I was at the repair center, a fellow came in with a problem with his golf bag that he thought wasn't right. I have to say that this bag looked to me like he had dragged it behind his car, grin. As I was leaving Ping was in the process of getting him a new bag, free of charge. I have been looking for a new golf bag, either a Ping, Sun Mountain or Titleist. I decided this morning that it will be a Ping.

I never checked my clubs to see if they had hot glue in them. I want the lightest club possible. I have 1/2" longer shafts, graphite. I asked Ping what the standard SW would be for a 1/2" long club and he said D1, but that at 1/2" long they can build them to C8. This is what I want. I have no idea how they do what they do re. SW, but I am happy that they can build them light, even in the longer length. No doubt this is due in part to graphite. The lighter the better, for me.

Thanks for this update! Now I can put these back on my testing rota! I've pretty much resolved not to buy a club from any manufacturer upon immmediate or pre-release. Something has to give with shorter product cycles. Seem like every industry now views early adopters as free beta-testers.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

No quality control issue. Much less so than any slotted TM iron. When they fail the head caves in. And I've hit both plenty. I500 with hotmelt is butter if you hit them middle.

Plus you don't have the 30 yard gap from 7/8 iron. Lol.

I'm sure every brand has had quality control issues except maybe for JDM equipment. It's just very unusual to hear this as PING has always been a leader when it comes to Quality but no more I guess. I know PING has let a lot of their R&D people go as some went to PXG, and look at TM's CEO now with Honma. Nothing surprises me anymore but I'm like you I have not had any issues with my P790 as you are completely satisfied with your i500's.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

How are you guys handling the transistion to the wedges? I currently use PM Grinds with 53° and 60° of loft. What would you recommend between I500 PW at 45° and the 53°? Is the U wedge any good or will it be too "hot" compared to the PM-Grind?

I play retro spec lofts with the PW at 47 and U at 52. They aren't hot at all; they actually don't go as far as my previous wedges (which is a good thing). They have more spin than I'm used to. I try to avoid hitting them full, especially if the green slopes up appreciably from front to back, because they can spin too much.

Pissed at the moment. Sent my i500’s to Ping (or so I thought) to have the lie angles changed. Turns out they are at some apartment in Phoenix. FedEx is going to try to recover them. Have been there since last Tuesday. Found out when I contacted Ping and they told me that they were not ready.

But, I still love the irons. Distance and gapping has been great. Sticks on the greens quite well for me.

Glad to hear so many people are enjoying these irons. I had to get a refund from Ping after two failed returns, but it sounds like others have had better experiences. Something tells me the next version is going to be filled with something akin to speedfoam to help support the face.

Did you take the refund and purchase something other than the i500s?

I won't lie, hearing the number of issues people are experiencing makes me super reluctant to purchase these irons

I did take the refund. I had bought a set of the Mizuno 919F while my issues with Ping were being worked out (wife wasn't too happy lol) That being said I am super satisfied with the 919's. Distance and forgiveness are the same as the i500, they are much more durable, alot less bounce in the 919's so the turf interaction is different though. After 20+ rounds they still look new and perform well for me. They are exactly what I would expect for the premium price. Keep in mind my experience is just one persons. Sounds like a lot of others have had good experiences with the i500's which is great to see.

I just today. ordered a set if the I500's. Then I found this post and am worried about what I might get.

Funny thing though... This time last year, I ordered a new set of Mizuno 900 Forged. When I hit them, the 5-6 and 7 went about the same distance. When I had them checked for loft, the 7i was 30*, the 6i was 29.5*, and the 5i was 28*. The stock specs were supposed to be 32*, 28*, 25*. The pro shop called the Mizuno rep and he told them to just bend them to where they needed to be. A bogus answer for something that came out of the factory so far out of spec, IMO. When we bent them, the bounce on the 5 and 6 basically disappeared and they played like Schnit. I got rid of them and went into the TEE EXi's for the rest of last year.

Back to the Ping I500's, I really hope they have resolved this issue. I ordered mine today, and I'll be ticked if I wasted another chunck of money on a so called quality manufacturer. Fingers crossed.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

Glad to hear so many people are enjoying these irons. I had to get a refund from Ping after two failed returns, but it sounds like others have had better experiences. Something tells me the next version is going to be filled with something akin to speedfoam to help support the face.

I won't lie, hearing the number of issues people are experiencing makes me super reluctant to purchase these irons

I did take the refund. I had bought a set of the Mizuno 919F while my issues with Ping were being worked out (wife wasn't too happy lol) That being said I am super satisfied with the 919's. Distance and forgiveness are the same as the i500, they are much more durable, alot less bounce in the 919's so the turf interaction is different though. After 20+ rounds they still look new and perform well for me. They are exactly what I would expect for the premium price. Keep in mind my experience is just one persons. Sounds like a lot of others have had good experiences with the i500's which is great to see.

I just today. ordered a set if the I500's. Then I found this post and am worried about what I might get.

Funny thing though... This time last year, I ordered a new set of Mizuno 900 Forged. When I hit them, the 5-6 and 7 went about the same distance. When I had them checked for loft, the 7i was 30*, the 6i was 29.5*, and the 5i was 28*. The stock specs were supposed to be 32*, 28*, 25*. The pro shop called the Mizuno rep and he told them to just bend them to where they needed to be. A bogus answer for something that came out of the factory so far out of spec, IMO. When we bent them, the bounce on the 5 and 6 basically disappeared and they played like Schnit. I got rid of them and went into the TEE EXi's for the rest of last year.

Back to the Ping I500's, I really hope they have resolved this issue. I ordered mine today, and I'll be ticked if I wasted another chunck of money on a so called quality manufacturer. Fingers crossed.

Funny you mention the Mizuno thing. My 919f were out of spec slightly in th GW and 7i. Had them bent back to my specs and no issues performance wise after. My I500 were slightly off too when I got them, just the 9i and 5i. Personally, I learned to have any new irons I buy have the loft and lies checked before I walk out the door with them. Not ideal but it gives me peace of mind and eliminates weird “Indian vs arrow” type results on the course. Good luck with the 500’s!

Does anyone here know how many SW points the i500 would go up by, if i filled the cavity with hotmelt ?? Im talking fill to the brim !

its a crazy thought, but im just curious. its not what im really going to do as it would probably effect the springiness and ball flight and possibly spin too. just curiosity.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I was thinking that but I also have some speed foam at home. Got a first early set of irons that are currently at Pings repair shop getting inspected from the faces. Thankfully I waited, either am injecting the new set with speedfoam or selling the brand new set of i500 when Ping finishes the inspection of my old set at the repair shop for inspection.

Does anyone here know how many SW points the i500 would go up by, if i filled the cavity with hotmelt ?? Im talking fill to the brim !

its a crazy thought, but im just curious. its not what im really going to do as it would probably effect the springiness and ball flight and possibly spin too. just curiosity.

What is this speedfoam youre speaking off ? i know its derived from taylormade, but i want to see this foam youre speaking off.

Funny you mention the Mizuno thing. My 919f were out of spec slightly in th GW and 7i. Had them bent back to my specs and no issues performance wise after. My I500 were slightly off too when I got them, just the 9i and 5i. Personally, I learned to have any new irons I buy have the loft and lies checked before I walk out the door with them. Not ideal but it gives me peace of mind and eliminates weird "Indian vs arrow" type results on the course. Good luck with the 500's!

I've learned my lesson and won't leave until the shop checks all the specs too.

Bad news on the I500 front. (for me anyway), I emailed Ping and told them I have found reviews of faces cracking. I asked if the issue was resolved, or if there is a product change coming that won't break. Here is their response: and I quote.... "We have had a extreme small amount of clubs that had this issue. We always inspect those clubs when they come back to Ping to see why the issue happened. For anything for a replacement for the model we are always working on new product but are product cycle runs 18 to 24 months before replacement of models." WOW. Not only was that the most Grammatically Incorrect wording and punctuation I have ever received from a professional company, they did not respond to whether the issue is resolved. I must assume it is Not resolved, and they will just deal with it as issues arise.

Doesn't surprise me.... I asked 3 times... email, phone and twitter. All 3 avoided and didn't provide a answer, actually asked twice on twitter and was responded with "what's your mailing address, we would like to mail you a little something." Will be interesting what this little something is for spending over $1000 on a set of irons and don't want to look at the faces after every swing.

The speed foam I have is the chemical two part foam that is used in other manufacturing companies heads, the mixing ratio I used is more dense and lighter. 1/4 teaspoon liquid form will fill a head.

Have you actually used it in the i500 heads yet ? or you planning on using it ?

Can it be removed after you fill it ?

Has anyone used the i500's as utility irons? I have a set of s55 irons (4-pw), and I'm on the market for a couple of clubs to go between my irons and my 3 wood. I was thinking about picking up the power lofted 3 iron. Are the long irons as forgiving as other driving irons?

In my opinion they are twice as forgiving as say TMB and a touch more forgiving than 790. I have a mini tour pal with One as his 3 iron. He absolutely murders this thing. Swapped to it from mizuno ( he’s s mizuno staffer ) and said he’d never swap back in driving iron. I believe it. I find them as easy to hit as a pitching wedge in the long irons. Stupid easy once the lie is dialed in.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Has anyone used the i500's as utility irons? I have a set of s55 irons (4-pw), and I'm on the market for a couple of clubs to go between my irons and my 3 wood. I was thinking about picking up the power lofted 3 iron. Are the long irons as forgiving as other driving irons?

In my opinion they are twice as forgiving as say TMB and a touch more forgiving than 790. I have a mini tour pal with One as his 3 iron. He absolutely murders this thing. Swapped to it from mizuno ( he's s mizuno staffer ) and said he'd never swap back in driving iron. I believe it. I find them as easy to hit as a pitching wedge in the long irons. Stupid easy once the lie is dialed in.

That's good to hear. I'm hitting my 3 wood about 260-270, but my 4 iron about 215. I was thinking about getting the 3 iron and a 4 iron from the i500 to sit between my s55 5 iron and my three wood. Are they high or low flying in the long irons?

In my opinion they are twice as forgiving as say TMB and a touch more forgiving than 790. I have a mini tour pal with One as his 3 iron. He absolutely murders this thing. Swapped to it from mizuno ( he's s mizuno staffer ) and said he'd never swap back in driving iron. I believe it. I find them as easy to hit as a pitching wedge in the long irons. Stupid easy once the lie is dialed in.

That's good to hear. I'm hitting my 3 wood about 260-270, but my 4 iron about 215. I was thinking about getting the 3 iron and a 4 iron from the i500 to sit between my s55 5 iron and my three wood. Are they high or low flying in the long irons?

Well. They will launch high of you want them high. But I also have zero issues flitting then down very low. I play modus 130x. For reference. Which does launch high flatten and go. Order them on the heavy side in my opinion so they get some hotmelt from the factory. The feel is much much better with hotmelt.

Mine are retro lofts. And I carry my 3 wood and 4 iron similar distance to you , in retro loft i500 on a flat calm day I play the 4 iron at 220 carry from a tee peg. No real need to jack the loft up is what I’m saying. The retro loft will give you some more launch if that’s what you want. You can always bend if they don’t suit. My set bent for lie angle easy.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have a regular lofted i500 3 iron to sit between my 3 wood and 4 iron. For me, it's about the same distance wise as a 5 wood, but lower trajectory. Considered going power spec like you're thinking, but I'm glad I went with the regular loft as it's plenty long and flies low. IMO it's not the easiest to get air under out of the fairway but has a really solid trajectory off the tee. I think the i500 4 iron would be two clubs longer than your s55 5 iron. Sweet club though, would definitely recommend.

Funny you mention the Mizuno thing. My 919f were out of spec slightly in th GW and 7i. Had them bent back to my specs and no issues performance wise after. My I500 were slightly off too when I got them, just the 9i and 5i. Personally, I learned to have any new irons I buy have the loft and lies checked before I walk out the door with them. Not ideal but it gives me peace of mind and eliminates weird "Indian vs arrow" type results on the course. Good luck with the 500's!

Been on my mind for days now, and I just couldn't shake the "what if". I'm in Western New York and we only get a couple of good months of golf weather. If... and it was only an If, the clubs had an issue, I would be loosing precious playing time. Not to mention, i'd be worried about it and checking my clubs after every swing.

So I canceled and made a switch. Went with the Srixon 585 Irons, Cleveland RTX 4 wedges and a Srixon U85 #4 Ute. Peace of mind and trusting my gut will hopefully work out.

I would never buy these irons again... Reason is the quality is so poor. I am glad that some of you don't have issues. I have sent more than one set in. Really good irons if they don't break. As other posters stated, there are other options that I can buy that will compete and feel better than these. This is a bust set for ping imo and probably won't make it passed the 410 intro if these problems keep happening.

I replaced a Ping Rapture Driving Iron with the 3 iron. I went power spec and +1/2”. I hit the 4 iron about 215-220. So I expected that this would go 245-250 before I ordered.

It goes right at 240-245 off the ground, 250-255 off the tee. Perfect distance for what I wanted it for. I needed to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. I hit it much better than the Rapture DI.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

I would never buy these irons again... Reason is the quality is so poor. I am glad that some of you don't have issues. I have sent more than one set in. Really good irons if they don't break. As other posters stated, there are other options that I can buy that will compete and feel better than these. This is a bust set for ping imo and probably won't make it passed the 410 intro if these problems keep happening.

There is something here that I don’t understand. About a month ago you posted the following, in #211 of this thread:

“Time will for those who bought. Cold range balls will be the test.”

Your post did not indicate that you had had problems at the time with this club. You are in Alberta. Presumably it has been cold there in the last month. And you indicate that you have now sent more than one set(!) in. Would you please provide some specifics as to what happened with your irons in the last month, and what Ping did in response.

I was told by Ping that the cracking problem was an early batch problem that has been resolved. When they saw my irons, which were very early builds, they replaced them and I have had zero problems, since, and I have been playing a ton of golf and hitting the range virtually every day. I am wondering why your experience, with clubs that have to have been of the same vintage as mine since I had mine replaced in the last month, is so different from mine and from what Ping told me.

I replaced a Ping Rapture Driving Iron with the 3 iron. I went power spec and +1/2". I hit the 4 iron about 215-220. So I expected that this would go 245-250 before I ordered.

It goes right at 240-245 off the ground, 250-255 off the tee. Perfect distance for what I wanted it for. I needed to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. I hit it much better than the Rapture DI.

Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping for by picking some up. I'm hitting my 3 wood about 260-270, and my 4 iron about 215. I don't want to drop a wedge so I'm thinking of replacing the 4 iron and getting a 3 iron. Hoping the 4 iron goes about 220 and the 3 iron about 240. The ping s55 5 iron is 27*. Maybe a retro lofted 4 iron and a regular lofted 3 iron?

What did u think of the 585's. Obviously you bought them, but what made up your mind?

They were my #2 choice when I was fitted. The Pings were a little longer and that allowed me to carry the 5 iron as my longest iron. I originally felt that would be a good thing to allow for an extra wedge if needed. With the Srixons, I had to add the U85 4 utility iron to get me to that 210 yardage. The Srixon and Ping iron were very similar in dispersion. My miss with the Ping fell off to the right, and my miss with the Srixon fell left.

With the Srixons, I had to go with the Modus Tour 120 shaft to get the feel and numbers the way I like them. With the Ping, I was in the stock DG105 shaft. There is 17 grams difference in weight between the two, and a little different launch angle. Possibly why they fall a bit shorter.

There is something here that I don’t understand. About a month ago you posted the following, in #211 of this thread:

“Time will for those who bought. Cold range balls will be the test.”

Your post did not indicate that you had had problems at the time with this club. You are in Alberta. Presumably it has been cold there in the last month. And you indicate that you have now sent more than one set(!) in. Would you please provide some specifics as to what happened with your irons in the last month, and what Ping did in response.

I was told by Ping that the cracking problem was an early batch problem that has been resolved. When they saw my irons, which were very early builds, they replaced them and I have had zero problems, since, and I have been playing a ton of golf and hitting the range virtually every day. I am wondering why your experience, with clubs that have to have been of the same vintage as mine since I had mine replaced in the last month, is so different from mine and from what Ping told me.

Prior posts in this thread stated that one set was sent in and replaced. Great. Waited a month to get them. Happy because I got a new set. Second set sent in for inspection and I have no idea what is happening. There was presumable cracks in a variety of irons that occurred prior to any cold weather. Ping will make this right as this is clearly a manufacturing issue. One iron in my set was not visibly 'broke' as you cannot see weld lines and in some the face had actual cracks where the paint was pushed up. If someone were to ask my thoughts I would reply

Perform great, however, I have not been graced with sets that are durable and my money would go elsewhere at this point.

If ping does replace the irons which I believe they will becaus they take care of people. I am less confident in them for sure. Hope that gives you some explanation Torbill

Any pics of your issues ?

You said some were damamged but not visibly. What made you send them in ? Crazy ball flight or ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

No pics

You know how you can see the outline of the welds, hope you can't! Well that's what happened and there was cracks on those outlines where the finish actually bubbled outwards. Although these aren't the best feeling irons, when these are bad they have a very distinguished sound. Loss of distance was present when comparing to a non cracked head.

I am not bashing ping. In fact I am happy that they do back there product. However, my confidence is very low in these irons at the present moment

Should I be concerned about this?

Nope, the finish will all blend together over time.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.