I500 Questions and reviews...

russian7

Lol. I’m picturing a turkey holding a headless shaft doing the crazy turkey gobble in s fit of fury !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I agree, too. Which is why I posted my recent comment about how well these irons perform. Some of the criticisms I am reading are things that apply to any club I’ve ever played and some of them just seem off-base relative to my personal experience.

I don’t find any problem with the finish. Wipe them down and they look like new again. Has there ever been a club that didn’t get scratches on the sole or get shined up in the hitting area or get chatter marks from banging around in the bag? I play these clubs, I don’t mount them over the fireplace mantel and admire them.

I don’t find any significant dispersion, or inconsistency in distance or spin, on good hits. Or that they make strange noises. Or that they feel harsh and not soft. These are not game improvement clubs. You have to hit them reasonably well, and if you don’t they are going to tell you so. (And yet they are actually much more forgiving than any true blade that I ever remember playing.) Maybe this is part of the problem, maybe some higher handicappers are thinking that this is a game improvement club because it is somewhat forgiving. It is not a game improvement club. Ping is not marketing this as a game improvement club. Anybody who is asking themselves questions like, “is this club more or less forgiving than xxx?” should probably not even be considering this club. Bad contact is going to be noticed more on this club than, say, the G400, and there is going to be a greater loss of distance and direction.

If club faces are routinely getting cracked it is an issue, no question. That has not happened to me and if and when it does I will take it up with Ping and get it resolved. Ping doesn’t want cracked clubfaces and they have always have taken good care of me when I have cracked a face or had other problems. (Well, almost. There was that one time when I broke a shaft by performing a modified Tommy Bolt move, and they asked me what had happened, and I just smiled and told them that golf is a very difficult game at times. They charged me $40 on that one. That’s the only time that Ping has ever charge me a nickel for any club problem.)

I will say it again. I have played many clubs over the years. This is the best looking, best performing iron I have ever had, and it isn’t even close. If you are a good player and hate the look of offset, thick top lines, large heads, thick soles, weird slots and appendages, etc. yet want something that is easier to hit than a true muscle back blade you should go hit this club and see what you think. If you are losing some distance and spin due to age, as I have been, there is even more reason to go hit them, because they will make you feel a little younger.

Very good post. Especially the forgiveness part. They do require a good strike. These are not the GI 790. They don’t have the crazy gapping issues the 790s etc have. Hit them on the toe and they will clank. Center strike is soft. And I’m coming from Miura.

I have to agree with this I found that Center shots are good and long and you can work the ball but miss hits are like most of the other clubs out there you get penalized for it and that's where that harder feel comes into play

Today after work I got to use my full set on the course (minus the 6 iron which is in for repairs) with the correct DG120 shaft for the first time.

The reason that I changed to these irons was that I basically hit low fliers out of the fairway with my old irons and I wanted irons that flew higher, spun more and actually had some stopping power.

These little critters delivered and then some! Well hit shots feel awesome and drop and stop. One groove low flies a little low but spins hard and still stops. More than that is nasty.

An example is a short par 4 with an elevated green. The pin was on the back tier which slopes away from you. This green is notoriously hard and difficult to hold when the pin is at the back. I hit a PW in and expected to run through. My old PW would never have held that green when landing on the top tier, but to my surprise I found the ball 6 inches from my pitch mark and 3 feet from the pin. Every iron that I landed on a green stopped much quicker than I am accustomed to. This fixes one of my 3 big weaknesses and I have half fixed my putting. Now I have to sort out my scatter-gun driving.

Update on my irons: Ping were fantastic and replaced them entirely late September due to a small crack on the 5i face. Just like a previous member said; there was a bad batch and they remedied it fast for me. Still very much liking them but the sound is not so good with the hard range balls. On the course and off real grass is nice. Recently played a couple rounds in Shenzhen and the caddies there were intrigued by them.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Glad to hear so many people are enjoying these irons. I had to get a refund from Ping after two failed returns, but it sounds like others have had better experiences. Something tells me the next version is going to be filled with something akin to speedfoam to help support the face.

Did you take the refund and purchase something other than the i500s?

I won't lie, hearing the number of issues people are experiencing makes me super reluctant to purchase these irons

I've put about 10 rounds on my i500's and so far don't see any problems with the face of the club, I guess I don't swing as hard as you guys. Weld failure is a very different issue from what most are reporting, Ping had some issues with their i25 irons peeling, but they made right on anyone that had the issue. I am not going to worry about some cosmetic issues on a club face that I use to hit out of sand, rocks and whatever other surface my ball lands on, so I still think they are great irons.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Glad to hear so many people are enjoying these irons. I had to get a refund from Ping after two failed returns, but it sounds like others have had better experiences. Something tells me the next version is going to be filled with something akin to speedfoam to help support the face.

I won't lie, hearing the number of issues people are experiencing makes me super reluctant to purchase these irons

Man I abuse mine. I practice daily and my home range tee is a mix of sandy red clay and some Bermuda. I do not. Do not do not wash the club face between shots. I may wipe it on my work pants , and I may scrub it with the toe of my spike. But that’s it. And mine don’t show anything crazy. Maybe if I cleaned them I’d see it ? Lol.

Tools not jewels. And as for the failures. Has to be isolated. I’ve probably Hit 400 or more 8 irons I practice so far and I’m flying it 160-172 depending on shape and wind. With retro lofts. If they were fragile I’d see something by now.

I’ll be the first to post pics of a ball going through the head if it happens.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Man I abuse mine. I practice daily and my home range tee is a mix of sandy red clay and some Bermuda. I do not. Do not do not wash the club face between shots. I may wipe it on my work pants , and I may scrub it with the toe of my spike. But that’s it. And mine don’t show anything crazy. Maybe if I cleaned them I’d see it ? Lol.

Tools not jewels. And as for the failures. Has to be isolated. I’ve probably Hit 400 or more 8 irons I practice so far and I’m flying it 160-172 depending on shape and wind. With retro lofts. If they were fragile I’d see something by now.

I'm glad to hear that the irons are treating you well. I am really close to purchasing a set but I want to see how the issues pan out with others.

I do respectfully disagree with your assertion that the issues are isolated. According to some of the other commenters, many people have been having weld issues and the like with them.

However, and as you said, irons are made to take a beating and I certainly don't mind normal wear and tear showing up on my irons. But it does make me nervous to know that they may be a potentially bad batch of i500s on the market place right now, because I don't want to have to go through with some other people went through with exchanging/returning them.

The season is short enough here in New England, and I'll be damned if I shorten it even more by having to return a set of clubs.

I'm glad to hear that the irons are treating you well. I am really close to purchasing a set but I want to see how the issues pan out with others.

I do respectfully disagree with your assertion that the issues are isolated. According to some of the other commenters, many people have been having weld issues and the like with them.

However, and as you said, irons are made to take a beating and I certainly don't mind normal wear and tear showing up on my irons. But it does make me nervous to know that they may be a potentially bad batch of i500s on the market place right now, because I don't want to have to go through with some other people went through with exchanging/returning them.

The season is short enough here in New England, and I'll be damned if I shorten it even more by having to return a set of clubs.

And I certainly understand that perspective. I have a year round season. So it’s not as big an issue as yours for sure.

I do think that some of the gripes on the finish though scream of the buy it and try it crowd. The ones who want to put 15 rounds on a club in a month to test. Then be able to sell if they don’t like them as “nearly new”. Ping historically probably could be done this way. It’s never been an option with a forged iron unless you used headcovers and polish between shots. They gain chatter the first 5 steps you take with them in the bag.

To that point. I have very little sympathy for the resale crowd.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And I certainly understand that perspective. I have a year round season. So it’s not as big an issue as yours for sure.

I do think that some of the gripes on the finish though scream of the buy it and try it crowd. The ones who want to put 15 rounds on a club in a month to test. Then be able to sell if they don’t like them as “nearly new”. Ping historically probably could be done this way. It’s never been an option with a forged iron unless you used headcovers and polish between shots. They gain chatter the first 5 steps you take with them in the bag.

To that point. I have very little sympathy for the resale crowd.

I fully agree with you regarding the finish of the irons. With the exception of unnecessary dings that I heard people are experiencing with their mizuno's, you certainly have to expect some common wear and tear on the finish after you use them even just once.

What part of the country are you in the you have a year-round season? I spent 4 years in Arizona Ben still missing to this day because of the year-round season. The winters in New England have grown really tiring for me especially because of the harsh Winters we've had.

Mine aren't showing any weld issues. Only problem has been Ping sending them in the wrong shaft and then apparently using Pritt to glue in the correct shafts. Other than that they have performed really well.

I like this guy

Thats the proper way to b****

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I think that you are reacting to what I consider, at least at this point, to unsubstantiated buzz about all of the “weld failures” that have supposedly been reported.

There have been numerous pictures of faint lines at the weld. My irons show some of this. This is NOT a weld failure, and there is no affect on performance. Frankly, it the case of my clubs I would never have even noticed it had I not seen the posted photos.

I commented on this, either earlier in this thread or in another thread. In reply, a poster posted a picture of what looked like a crack at the weld line. That crack could also have been a crack in the finish, and not a weld failure. A plated finish like this is hard, which means that it is almost certainly brittle, which means that it is possible to have a fatigue crack or finish separation where there is flexure. And there is flexure at the weld line, for sure. I asked the poster if this was an actual weld crack, and there was never a reply. I do not accept that this was a weld failure until there is some confirmation. And, even if it was, how many have there been, actually?

So, I am aware of no actual evidence that there are weld failures happening; or if there are, that they are anything but isolated. If anybody here believes otherwise, please post your evidence so that we can all see it and ask questions. When something like this gets going people buzz, and the buzz spreads, and then people start looking at normal things in abnormal ways, start imagining that half of their set is defective and not hitting right, and what not. At some point people need to stop buzzing and start looking at the actual evidence and facts.

As to your concern about buying these clubs I really don’t think that you have a big worry, insofar as being without clubs during a short season - an understandable concern. If you do have separation of the finish at the weld, it won’t affect performance and you will be able to wait to get the club replaced until the end of the season (actually, I am pretty sure that you could send a picture to Ping and they would replace it with no loss of use on your part). If you do experience a weld faillure it will NOT be general to all of your clubs and you can get a failed club replaced by Ping. Ping will stand behind their product and will have you a new club in short order, and your game will likely not suffer. Any club that you will ever buy from any manufacturer can fail. I will assert that you will probably never find a compnay better than Ping at taking care of its problems.

Knowing what I know, were I in your boots I would think about this club from a performance and appearance standpoint. This club will fly farther and higher than any blade-style iron you have ever played, or I miss my guess - new club designs are normally more about hype than actual performance improvements, as we all know, but this one is higher and longer by any measure, it is *not* hype. I you want the performance in a club that visually sets up like a blade and you are a good player, then this could be the club for you. If you are looking for a game improvement club I would look elsewhere. I would not make a decision on the basis of the problems that some players have reported.

I'm still really liking my i500s but I don't understand Ping's PR regarding the club and its foibles. I asked two of their reps (one who is their long-time LPGA Tour rep) and another tenured Customer Service guy whether the clubs have any kind of hot melt or goo in the cavity of this club. Both of them said, "nope, they're hollow...nothing in there". Today, I finally got a CS rep to admit that they use some goo to fine tune the swing-weighting. I (we) already knew this but can't understand the smokescreen from them. They also pretend to have no idea whatsoever about the wear issues with the HydroPearl 2.0, as if they haven't received a single complaint or comment about it. Also, though they've taken care of everyone with the cracked face welds, I suspect that it's a little more than a "bad batch of heads". I have no reason to believe that Ping will do anything differently than they always have, and that is to provide fantastic customer support and stand behind these issues, but this stuff concerns me. Why can't they just be honest about it? Legal issues? Ping didn't become, by far, the most trusted OEM by behaving this way.

They’ve heard about the Hydropearl finish plenty of times trust me. Well, at least one other time ? I hate that finish. They have nice curb appeal new on the shelf I suppose. Sold my i210’s last week solely because of it, and before I get flamed I could care less about routine wear and tear, bag chatter etc. In MY opinion this isn’t that and I’ve owned just a few sets in my lifetime. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I did take the refund. I had bought a set of the Mizuno 919F while my issues with Ping were being worked out (wife wasn’t too happy lol) That being said I am super satisfied with the 919’s. Distance and forgiveness are the same as the i500, they are much more durable, alot less bounce in the 919’s so the turf interaction is different though. After 20+ rounds they still look new and perform well for me. They are exactly what I would expect for the premium price. Keep in mind my experience is just one persons. Sounds like a lot of others have had good experiences with the i500’s which is great to see.

Agree totally. Tools not jewels. When I bought them I was planning on keeping them for a long time. They really fit what I was looking for. I don’t like changing irons once I get them dialed in.

From a forum post on here............That looks like a weld breakdown to me

post-497602-0-05995200-1539357506.jpeg

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Hold on a minute.

This is the same picture that was shown earlier, in reply to a post that I made. At that time I asked the poster if he knew if this was a crack in the weld or a crack in the finish. There was no reply.

Now you have posted the same picture and stated that it looks like a cracked weld to you. How can you, or me, or anybody else tell from a picture that it is a crack in the weld and not a crack in the finish? Rather than speculate, wouldn't it be better if the owner of this club told us what he thinks the failure was, and what Ping said about it? Perhaps this has already been stated, and I have missed it. If it has been stated, could somebody please provide a link to an actual statement by the owner? Certainly this is a problem and the club has to be replaced, but the issue may be cosmetic as opposed to performance - very different things.

I remember when people started reporting issues and showing pictures of the sort of outline that has appeared on some of my irons. I seem to recall that one person said that half of his set was failing and not hitting right - that’s crazy, half of my set shows visible outlines and there is absolutely no affect on performance. Another person - or maybe it was the same person - got a refund from Ping. There was a lot of buzzing and speculation and people adding their two cents worth, and pretty soon the sky was falling. Well, I am not buying this. Maybe the sky is falling and maybe it isn’t, but one thing that I know for certain is that we can’t keep posting the same picture of the same crack in the same club and declaring it to be evidence of a general weld crack epidemic.

Hold on a minute.

This is the same picture that was shown earlier, in reply to a post that I made. At that time I asked the poster if he knew if this was a crack in the weld or a crack in the finish. There was no reply.

Now you have posted the same picture and stated that it looks like a cracked weld to you. How can you, or me, or anybody else tell from a picture that it is a crack in the weld and not a crack in the finish? Rather than speculate, wouldn't it be better if the owner of this club told us what he thinks the failure was, and what Ping said about it? Perhaps this has already been stated, and I have missed it. If it has been stated, could somebody please provide a link to an actual statement by the owner? Certainly this is a problem and the club has to be replaced, but the issue may be cosmetic as opposed to performance - very different things.

I remember when people started reporting issues and showing pictures of the sort of outline that has appeared on some of my irons. I seem to recall that one person said that half of his set was failing and not hitting right - that’s crazy, half of my set shows visible outlines and there is absolutely no affect on performance. Another person - or maybe it was the same person - got a refund from Ping. There was a lot of buzzing and speculation and people adding their two cents worth, and pretty soon the sky was falling. Well, I am not buying this. Maybe the sky is falling and maybe it isn’t, but one thing that I know for certain is that we can’t keep posting the same picture of the same crack in the same club and declaring it to be evidence of a general weld crack epidemic.

Preach brother torbill.

Methinks they doth protest too much.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

Hold on a minute.

Lolololol!!! Wow!! You are one tolerant guy. I Just dropped in on this thread for the first time. Glad I did. I Didn’t even know this was an issue.

I can tell you one thing. If my irons looked that picture I don’t give a rats a** if it’s a weld failure or a cosmetic issue or some combination of both. They are going back to Ping and I’m getting different clubs and I’m talking about it to anyone who will listen.

Your contention that it truly matters if it’s a weld failure or a cosmetic issue and it needs to be proven one way or another to not cause some sort of unjustified panic doesn’t fly with me. Whatever the heck it is, it’s 100% unacceptable. If it’s happening with any sort of regularity at all it is a big problem that should be talked about.

It Reminds me of the constant Taylormade face cave ins on all those obscenely stupid designs with the face slots. It took months for people to believe it was a real problem occurring very frequently and some still don’t completely believe it. Over and over and over again they failed. EVERY SINGLE SET of used face slot TM clubs I’ve EVER seen in any golf shop for sale has at least a few of the face edges bent. Hideous engineering failure. Disastrous for high swing speed guys.

I hope for Pings sake this was just a “bad batch”, but it’s certainly worth watching to see if there’s an actual recurring problem with these.

Everyone wants the springy hot faces and more distance. This is what happens. I’m Glad my Hogan’s have a nice solid non flexing Titanium face welded to a forged steel frame. Not an issue for me.