Bandon Dunes - First Timer Looking to Plan

LBRMGR

Team,

I'm looking into booking a foursome for Bandon in 2019. We're pretty open, as I know it's fairly late in the process.

Any general tips for when to book? I've obviously googled and looked at hi/low temps, avg rainfall, pricing, etc. but figured I'd come to the experts!

Realistically, how does mid-April or early May look in the grand scheme of planning? I don't need to go during the Summer, and I don't get cold easily, I'm just not looking to fly across country from NY to go when there will be the highest chances of downpours.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated from those who have been during early Spring. Thanks!

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather pattern had been changing on the western seaboard just like everywhere else.

The traditional best time to play has no guarantee.

Your best bet is to look for information on the annual forecast for the 2019, the aerify schedule of the golf courses, the difference in seasonal green fees. I know one of our golf group outing goes every March and /or Nov, before or after the sanding schedule at a off season rate for green fees.

Of course, everyone brings rain gear because chance of rain fall is part of being on the coast.

https://weatherspark.com/y/330/Average-Weather-in-Bandon-Oregon-United-States-Year-Round

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/Bandon+Dunes+Golf+Resort+1476229:5:US

Keep an eye out on the Pacific, depending on the season, the storm would come from either the South or the North.

super helpful! thanks so much.

Titleist ProV1x

It is really just what you value. It is basically a trade-off between rolling the dice with the weather vs. price of the golf/lodging. The best weather I have ever had was the week before Christmas. The worst was a 3 day deluge in March.

I am not really sure you can study weather patterns and pin point a 4 day window. That just seems impossible.

I think the best strategy, which is hard for most, is to be at the resort as long as possible and schedule 36 each day. Maximum flexibility.

End of March this year for me.

Mid April or early May! Thanks all!

Titleist ProV1x

so it sounds like if I wanted to go in 2019 anytime before June...

It sounds like May might be best? OR Feb?

Titleist ProV1x

so it sounds like if I wanted to go in 2019 anytime before June...

It sounds like May might be best? OR Feb?

February might already be full up unless they've had cancellations. It's a month you usually need to jump on about a year out to get desired tee times and lodging. May will likely have very good weather, just costs more.

Im headed out for my first Bandon trip this February 10-14. Im really excited. Fingers crossed we get some decent weather. We are going to play the Preserve on Sunday, our arrival day. BD/Trails on Monday, PD/OM on Tuesday, and PD/BD on Wednesday.

Lefty - don’t be a fool. Spend some time at the Punch Bowl — you won’t regret it. The most fun putt putt course on planet earth.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Im headed out for my first Bandon trip this February 10-14. Im really excited. Fingers crossed we get some decent weather. We are going to play the Preserve on Sunday, our arrival day. BD/Trails on Monday, PD/OM on Tuesday, and PD/BD on Wednesday.

Lefty - dont be a fool. Spend some time at the Punch Bowl you wont regret it. The most fun putt putt course on planet earth.

Yep, thats on the docket for Sunday after the Preserve.

Playing 2 rounds in a day in February sounds like a big ask (Sunrise 730/Sunset 530) but go for it. The Preserve is a brilliant alternative for a second round each day if you find 36 too hard. And Shortys and the Punchbowl are good fill-ins too but not quite as satisfying as the main courses.

We were there in late Jan/early Feb of this year- had no issues getting 35 in (and my dad is slow). But Shorty's, Punchbowl, and Preserve are all great options if you don't get your first tee time early enough.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

• 3 months later...

I just completed my first Bandon trip last Thursday. We golfed Sunday afternoon through Wednesday, so I thought I would add some of my thoughts while they are still fresh:

• We got moved from the Preserve to Old Mac on Sunday for our first round since the Preserve is closed this month. What a wonderful stroke of luck. As a northern golfer who hasn't been able to get out and play for 3-4 months, this is the perfect course to get your first swings on. It's wide open. It's fun. The views are amazing.
  • Bandon Trails is the shiznit. My god I love that course.
  • We used a group caddie for 4 of our 5 rounds. He, Bob Janus, was so much fun and very helpful. On our Monday round at Bandon Dunes, the wind and rain were in FULL effect (and honestly affect). His attitude and advice were priceless. "Well, we're 120 from the pin, hit a 180 shot."
  • The people at the resort are unbelievable.
  • We were able to golf until nearly 6 PM. If I was to reschedule this trip, I would go the last week in February to take advantage of the prices and to get a little more daylight.
  • Be prepared for the weather. I've been dreaming about playing at Bandon for over 5 years. 2 of the 4 from our group did not know as much about the course. I think they were a little shocked by the weather. I just smiled the whole time and realized I was getting the full Bandon experience. When people say have good rain gear, they mean Zero Restriction, or Sunice, or Gavin Green. I purchased some Zero Restriction off of eBay and it saved me. It would have been miserable to golf for 7-8 hours wet. Invest in your gear.

I can't wait to go back!

My course rankings:

1. Pac Dunes

2. Trails

3. Old Mac

4. Bandon Dunes

I just completed my first Bandon trip last Thursday. We golfed Sunday afternoon through Wednesday, so I thought I would add some of my thoughts while they are still fresh:

• We got moved from the Preserve to Old Mac on Sunday for our first round since the Preserve is closed this month. What a wonderful stroke of luck. As a northern golfer who hasn't been able to get out and play for 3-4 months, this is the perfect course to get your first swings on. It's wide open. It's fun. The views are amazing.
  • We used a group caddie for 4 of our 5 rounds. He, Bob Janus, was so much fun and very helpful. On our Monday round at Bandon Dunes, the wind and rain were in FULL effect (and honestly affect). His attitude and advice were priceless. "Well, we're 120 from the pin, hit a 180 shot."
  • We were able to golf until nearly 6 PM. If I was to reschedule this trip, I would go the last week in February to take advantage of the prices and to get a little more daylight.
  • Be prepared for the weather. I've been dreaming about playing at Bandon for over 5 years. 2 of the 4 from our group did not know as much about the course. I think they were a little shocked by the weather. I just smiled the whole time and realized I was getting the full Bandon experience. When people say have good rain gear, they mean Zero Restriction, or Sunice, or Gavin Green. I purchased some Zero Restriction off of eBay and it saved me. It would have been miserable to golf for 7-8 hours wet. Invest in your gear.

I can't wait to go back!

My course rankings:

1. Pac Dunes

2. Trails

3. Old Mac

4. Bandon Dunes

Nice report. Hope to see pictures soon if you took any. 2 questions:

What did you like about Bandon Trails?

Did those 2 people from your group who did not know much about the course still like the whole overall Bandon experience and would they come back?

I can't wait to go back!

My course rankings:

1. Pac Dunes

2. Trails

3. Old Mac

4. Bandon Dunes

Did those 2 people from your group who did not know much about the course still like the whole overall Bandon experience and would they come back?

I enjoyed the course so much. Every hole was very interesting and fun to play. The scale of the trees and the forest around the course was awe-inspiring.

I think they would go back. I think their idea of a golf vacation would be Arizona or something. I warned them that we could get weather. I loved the idea of going to a resort centered around golf as opposed to a resort with a golf course.

I can't wait to go back!

My course rankings:

1. Pac Dunes

2. Trails

3. Old Mac

4. Bandon Dunes

I enjoyed the course so much. Every hole was very interesting and fun to play. The scale of the trees and the forest around the course was awe-inspiring.

I think they would go back. I think their idea of a golf vacation would be Arizona or something. I warned them that we could get weather. I loved the idea of going to a resort centered around golf as opposed to a resort with a golf course.

I have also some golf buddies who have the same idea of resort with a golf course rather the resort centered around golf as the main deal.