2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, or Royal Aberdeen?

smb4ua

Madness to suggest dropping Royal Dornoch from any itinerary of top golf courses in Scotland. It borders on calling for the men in white coats!

I agree with the majority that Royal Aberdeen is the one to play between those three courses. I liked Cruden Bay and I'm glad that I have played it but realistically would I rush back, the answer is no. Its fun and its quirky but it can be infuriating and annoying too, that said the condition was excellent, greens were fabulous. I'd play Murcar before I played Cruden again in all honesty.

Csstle Stuart is a strange one, wonderful location and scenery, the holes on the shore are phenomenal, stunning holes, amazing bunkering and great green sites plus complexes. Then you go up the hill on the back nine and for me the course just loses something, it was very "St Andrews Bay" like and felt like a different course to finish. Maybe its just me but I feel it punches a tad above its weight. Although please note that is just my opinion!

I'll throw in Moray Old since you are "in the area" its a tremendous track. Well worth looking into.

I played at RA and Cruden in August and feel the same way about Cruden, although it was in the worst condition of the 11 rounds I played. Great views from the big dune but the course just did not live up to the hype. RA was a real surprise and I would definitely recommend and return. The greens and surrounds were outstanding.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geographically, all of the course are in the StA or North Berwick area, and they are all wonderful. Love North Berwick. The exception by geography is Dornoch. Far to the north, and you should not miss. Incredible. But not close to any of the rest. Unmentioned by anyone else is the Carnegie Club at Skibo Castle. I’ve played all the courses on the list except RCD. Skibo is a totally unique experience, and while it is 300 pounds you will come away thinking it is a great value. Trust me. And it is five minutes from Dornoch, so you don’t have to go out of your way. That allows you to drive straight across the highlands to/from StA too, a beautiful trip. If you can get a tee time, consider it. Others who have suggested Brora have a point too. Enjoy your trip. Wow!

Madness to suggest dropping Royal Dornoch from any itinerary of top golf courses in Scotland. It borders on calling for the men in white coats!

I agree with the majority that Royal Aberdeen is the one to play between those three courses. I liked Cruden Bay and I'm glad that I have played it but realistically would I rush back, the answer is no. Its fun and its quirky but it can be infuriating and annoying too, that said the condition was excellent, greens were fabulous. I'd play Murcar before I played Cruden again in all honesty.

Csstle Stuart is a strange one, wonderful location and scenery, the holes on the shore are phenomenal, stunning holes, amazing bunkering and great green sites plus complexes. Then you go up the hill on the back nine and for me the course just loses something, it was very "St Andrews Bay" like and felt like a different course to finish. Maybe its just me but I feel it punches a tad above its weight. Although please note that is just my opinion!

I'll throw in Moray Old since you are "in the area" its a tremendous track. Well worth looking into.

I played at RA and Cruden in August and feel the same way about Cruden, although it was in the worst condition of the 11 rounds I played. Great views from the big dune but the course just did not live up to the hype. RA was a real surprise and I would definitely recommend and return. The greens and surrounds were outstanding.

Why was Royal Aberdeen a surprise?

It's newly ranked in the Golf Digest list and unranked in the Golf Magazine list...so it can't be that good...

It's newly ranked in the Golf Digest list and unranked in the Golf Magazine list...so it can't be that good...

wow, my dad has enjoyed it for 63 years prior to the ranking...........

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

But Royal Aberdeen is that good.

Tom Watson described the front 9 at Royal Aberdeen as the finest stretch of holes he had seen and I guess he knows a wee bit about links golf

Tom Watson described the front 9 at Royal Aberdeen as the finest stretch of holes he had seen and I guess he knows a wee bit about links golf

I thought it was supposed to be us North Americans that didn't get subtlety and sarcasm? ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Just one reason why many will tell folks NOT to plan their trips around ticking off items in the course ranking lists, and why those who DO appear to take that approach get criticized at times.

The question was: "Why was Royal Aberdeen a surprise?"

My answer is more about how our perceptions are formed than in the quality of the course.

Royal Aberdeen is one of the great links of the world. No doubt. It compares favorably head-to-head with all but a tiny fraction of courses in the world.

But it has mostly been absent from the rankings over the years, so many golf tourists in their luxury coaches will pass it by as unworthy. Then when somebody does mistakenly play it when they meant to play Trump, they're "surprised" at how good it is. It was always great, but it hasn't been perceived to be.

Cruden Bay was the poster child of this for a long time. It was sort of out of the way and unheralded, and the people who played it were blown away by how "good" it was for an off the radar course. Now it's on the radar, and more people are surprised about how bad it is (compared to their lofty expectations). The course hasn't changed (much), but the goalposts of expectation have moved.

One thing about Royal Aberdeen, there is only X amount of visitors and that number is limited for the year.

Visitors only have certain tee times daily, far more than Muirfield but still very limited.

Its a very private club with only 350 full members, there is currently is no waiting list. It's a hard course and for many Aberdonians too hard.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

The question was: "Why was Royal Aberdeen a surprise?"

My answer is more about how our perceptions are formed than in the quality of the course.

Royal Aberdeen is one of the great links of the world. No doubt. It compares favorably head-to-head with all but a tiny fraction of courses in the world.

But it has mostly been absent from the rankings over the years, so many golf tourists in their luxury coaches will pass it by as unworthy. Then when somebody does mistakenly play it when they meant to play Trump, they're "surprised" at how good it is. It was always great, but it hasn't been perceived to be.

Cruden Bay was the poster child of this for a long time. It was sort of out of the way and unheralded, and the people who played it were blown away by how "good" it was for an off the radar course. Now it's on the radar, and more people are surprised about how bad it is (compared to their lofty expectations). The course hasn't changed (much), but the goalposts of expectation have moved.

actually played RA back around 1998 or so on my 2nd visit over ... before i was aware of any rankings of any kind ... keenly remember the first 3 holes ... parred that long par 3 with a 2-iron ... valid pt about perceptions, and CB ... it gets ragged pretty hard on here by many, but is a course i'd like to play ...

I said that RA was a surprise to me, I heard a lot of good things but it does not get the hype of many other links. I just really enjoyed it more than I expected, simple as that.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

One thing about Royal Aberdeen, there is only X amount of visitors and that number is limited for the year.

Visitors only have certain tee times daily, far more than Muirfield but still very limited.

Its a very private club with only 350 full members, there is currently is no waiting list. It's a hard course and for many Aberdonians too hard.

Aye, of the Aberdeen establishment, I tend to think that the folk who can play golf play Balgownie and the folk who can't play hang around at Deeside.

Aye, of the Aberdeen establishment, I tend to think that the folk who can play golf play Balgownie and the folk who can't play hang around at Deeside.

I was a member of both for years and now only Royal Aberdeen.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I am playing Cruden Bay on the morning of my wedding next July. I can't wait to get out there. We're staying in the Peterhead area for a few days before heading to St. Andrews, but this will probably be my only round of golf in that area. I would love to make it to Royal Aberdeen. Looks amazing!

dam, I am only in Scotland this year in May and August. RA was in some condition this year - http://royalaberdeengolfclub.blogspot.com/2018/06/

I get married down near Ayr in September and going to be playing Turnberry on the wedding day.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

My dad and I are going on our first golf trip across the pond next July, and it's going to be epic!

I want to add another round in the Highlands, and I'd be interested to hear your opinions about adding Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, or Royal Aberdeen. CS has a terrific reputation but is more modern, and CB is known for its quirkiness and beauty. I've heard rave reviews about Royal Aberdeen as well.

This round would just be a bonus considering where else we're playing, but I still want to make the best decision. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen or Castle Stuart. All are great courses that offer some All Scotland holes. My favourite by some distance is Cruden Bay because I generally prefer wilder, funkier golf. I think Castle Stuart, if we are only talking course design, is the best of the three with more thoughtfully placed hazards and space to allow for wind. There is one awful walk up to the 13th (the 12th too is quite uphill and part of the same general earth movement to create these holes), far worse anything at Cruden Bay and in fact a drinks machine provides free drinks halfway up the hill! Royal Aberdeen is also great, but in a more traditional manner and far narrower than Castle Stuart. That said, the maligned back nine is far better than reputation suggests.

If you want funk, play Cruden Bay. If you want a more relaxed round with room for error, play Castle Stuart. If you want to test your game, play Royal Aberdeen. In the end I would suggest choosing the option which best fits the already strained travel schedule.

Merry Christmas

My dad and I are going on our first golf trip across the pond next July, and it's going to be epic!

I want to add another round in the Highlands, and I'd be interested to hear your opinions about adding Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, or Royal Aberdeen. CS has a terrific reputation but is more modern, and CB is known for its quirkiness and beauty. I've heard rave reviews about Royal Aberdeen as well.

This round would just be a bonus considering where else we're playing, but I still want to make the best decision. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen or Castle Stuart. All are great courses that offer some All Scotland holes. My favourite by some distance is Cruden Bay because I generally prefer wilder, funkier golf. I think Castle Stuart, if we are only talking course design, is the best of the three wih more thoughtfully placed hazards and space to allow for wind. There is one awful walk up to the 13th (the 12th too is quite uphill and part of the same general earth movement to create these holes), far worse anything at Cruden Bay and in fact a drinks machine provides free drinks halfway up the hill! Royal Aberdeen is also great, but in a more traditional manner and far narrower than Castle Stuart. That said, the maligned back nine is far better than reputation suggests.

If you want funk, play Cruden Bay. If you want a more relaxed round with room for error, play Castle Stuart. If you want to test your game, play Royal Aberdeen. In the end I would suggest choosing the option which best fits the already strained travel schedule.

Merry Christmas

english sensibility at its finest ...