2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, or Royal Aberdeen?

smb4ua

My dad and I are going on our first golf trip across the pond next July, and it's going to be epic!

We'll be playing:

Royal Dornoch

Carnoustie

Kingsbarns

Old Course

Jubilee Course

North Berwick

Muirfield

Royal County Down

Then we're going to Saturday and Sunday of the Open at Royal Portrush.

I want to add another round in the Highlands, and I'd be interested to hear your opinions about adding Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, or Royal Aberdeen. CS has a terrific reputation but is more modern, and CB is known for its quirkiness and beauty. I've heard rave reviews about Royal Aberdeen as well.

This round would just be a bonus considering where else we're playing, but I still want to make the best decision. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad and I are going on our first golf trip across the pond next July, and it's going to be epic!

We'll be playing:

Royal Dornoch

Carnoustie

Kingsbarns

Old Course

Jubilee Course

North Berwick

Muirfield

Royal County Down

Then we're going to Saturday and Sunday of the Open at Royal Portrush.

I want to add another round in the Highlands, and I'd be interested to hear your opinions about adding Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, or Royal Aberdeen. CS has a terrific reputation but is more modern, and CB is known for its quirkiness and beauty. I've heard rave reviews about Royal Aberdeen as well.

This round would just be a bonus considering where else we're playing, but I still want to make the best decision. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The least of these is Cruden Bay. Castle Stuart and Royal Aberdeen are immeasurably better both in terms of layout and conditioning. Looking at the other courses you are planning to play I'm fairly confident that if you were to add Cruden Bay you would come to look back on it as the most disappointing. In contrast, both Castle Stuart and Royal Aberdeen would have every chance of showing at the top of your hit parade.

For me, though Royal Aberdeen may be the better and more traditional links, Castle Stuart has edged Royal Dornoch out of my #1 spot. It is always beautifully presented and the setting is magnificent. It's fine holiday golf: challenging but generous enough to be hugely enjoyable in whatever weather you encounter it. The bonuses at Castle Stuart are in the warmth of the welcome and the relaxed clubhouse atmosphere neither of which are likely to impress you at Balgownie.

What a great trip - I'm envious! Unfortunately, I've only played one of the three, Castle Stuart, so can't comment on CB or RA. My day on Castle Stuart was one of the most enjoyable I've ever had out on a golf course, though. Probably can't go too wrong with any of the three, but I feel confident if you go with CS you'll definitely enjoy it.

In looking at the list, you're on what I'd think of as the "golf tourist's tour". All fabulous golf courses, to be sure, but all played by many golf tourists. Which you are, and which I am when I get to Scotland. But why not add in a less famous course? Brora or Golspie, north of Dornoch. Boat of Garten, just off the A9 south of Inverness. Murcar, next to Royal Aberdeen, or Montrose, further south on the coast. On my last visit in June, I found that I enjoyed playing less well-known places like Glasgow Gailes and Dunbar just as much as I enjoyed playing Prestwick and North Berwick.

You'll definitely enjoy any of the courses you've looked at, but getting off of the "tourist trail" might give you a slightly different perspective.

Your descriptions of the three courses are pretty accurate. One thing I would like to add. Cruden Bay is the toughest walk of the three.With one particularly tough uphill slog. Then again, a few of the caddies at Cruden Bay were members in their late sixties and seventies. I carried my own bag on all the courses that I played (except for the Old Course) two years ago. And Cruden Bay was the only course that I requested a caddy. But none were available. So reserve them ahead of time.

I played Cruden Bay and Trump in August.

I would play Trump again in a heartbeat, I have no plans to return to Cruden. Staff in the clubhouse were great and it is super friendly with great views. The course layout simply didn't match and wouldn't make it into the Top 50 courses I have played.

In looking at the list, you're on what I'd think of as the "golf tourist's tour". All fabulous golf courses, to be sure, but all played by many golf tourists. Which you are, and which I am when I get to Scotland. But why not add in a less famous course? Brora or Golspie, north of Dornoch. Boat of Garten, just off the A9 south of Inverness. Murcar, next to Royal Aberdeen, or Montrose, further south on the coast. On my last visit in June, I found that I enjoyed playing less well-known places like Glasgow Gailes and Dunbar just as much as I enjoyed playing Prestwick and North Berwick.

You'll definitely enjoy any of the courses you've looked at, but getting off of the "tourist trail" might give you a slightly different perspective.

Sure and that trip in June was your nnth trip to Scotland? ;)

OP since you already have Kingsbarns in there for a modern links round, I'd pick from Aberdeen or Cruden Bay, on you way to/from Inverness.

You've got an awesome first trip across the pond there, you'll have a fantastic time!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

OP since you already have Kingsbarns in there for a modern links round, I'd pick from Aberdeen or Cruden Bay, on you way to/from Inverness.

You've got an awesome first trip across the pond there, you'll have a fantastic time!

I admit, it was my third visit, but on each of the previous visits we played only a couple of the really big-name courses, and a few of the lesser-known places. I think the variety is interesting, and the OP has plenty of really good (and well-known) courses already on the itinerary. And as I said, there's really no wrong choice, only different styles of good choices.

I admit, it was my third visit, but on each of the previous visits we played only a couple of the really big-name courses, and a few of the lesser-known places. I think the variety is interesting, and the OP has plenty of really good (and well-known) courses already on the itinerary. And as I said, there's really no wrong choice, only different styles of good choices.

Oh agreed. As long as someone doesn't play the courses at that hotel outside St. Andrews, there are no bad choices.

Depending on the day, I'm just more inclined to be pernickety about replies, when someone asks a question with explicit A/B/C options and people offer up X/Y/7 ;)

First trip? Why not go whole hog and - blow the bloody doors off - to paraphrase Charlie Croker.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm wondering a bit about your route planning. If you are playing first at Dornoch then basing yourself around St Andrews, the obvious intermediary step would take you first south to play Castle Stuart then back to the A9 and south again via Perth. The alternative, skipping Castle Stuart, and heading to Cruden Bay/Aberdeen adds time and distance and takes in a less scenic route.

If you do opt for RA try to find time to go immediately next door to Murcar which is my home club and a joy.

PS Trust me about Cruden Bay

I've considered Brora, and it may still be an option. The allure of knocking off another top 100, the 8th of the trip, is tough to ignore though. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Sounds like I'll stay away from Cruden Bay! Haha.

Cruden Bay - Fun course, some holes I love, some I hate. The hill up 9 will kill you unless you are fit. Some of the latest tweaks have been for the better. Course was not in good condition in September as they didn't use the sprinklers during the dry summer on the fairways. I enjoy my monthly rounds there.

Castle Stewart - Good modern links course, designed so you get round it and don't loose a ball unless you are really wild. Amazing views of the Moray Forth on some of the early holes. I have played it two times and after the last time decided it was not worth the money to play again for me.

Royal Aberdeen - By far the hardest of the three, in the best condition normally. 2 years ago, if you missed the fairway you lost the ball, now they have been thinning out the rough and it's been far more enjoyable but still hard to play. Wind normally plays down for one of the nines. Some great holes and the odd rubbish hole. It never plays identically day after day. Certainly makes you a better golfer. Here is an interesting read from Robert, he comes and goes posting things there - http://royalaberdeengolfclub.blogspot.com

Adding in Trump - Great Modern Links, condition was not as good as Real Aberdeen in June when I played, its longer then Royal Aberdeen but fairways are double the width so very playable. I have now played it twice and enjoy it each time.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Cruden Bay - Fun course, some holes I love, some I hate. The hill up 9 will kill you unless you are fit. Some of the latest tweaks have been for the better. Course was not in good condition in September as they didn't use the sprinklers during the dry summer on the fairways. I enjoy my monthly rounds there.

Castle Stewart - Good modern links course, designed so you get round it and don't loose a ball unless you are really wild. Amazing views of the Moray Forth on some of the early holes. I have played it two times and after the last time decided it was not worth the money to play again for me.

Royal Aberdeen - By far the hardest of the three, in the best condition normally. 2 years ago, if you missed the fairway you lost the ball, now they have been thinning out the rough and it's been far more enjoyable but still hard to play. Wind normally plays down for one of the nines. Some great holes and the odd rubbish hole. It never plays identically day after day. Certainly makes you a better golfer. Here is an interesting read from Robert, he comes and goes posting things there - http://royalaberdeen...ub.blogspot.com

Adding in Trump - Great Modern Links, condition was not as good as Real Aberdeen in June when I played, its longer then Royal Aberdeen but fairways are double the width so very playable. I have now played it twice and enjoy it each time.

From what I can see online it's only £10 that separates the RA and Castle Stuart green fees.

Skip Dornoch.

Play Trump and Castle Stuart.

Maybe try to squeeze Gleneagles in there.

giphy.gif

It's pretty clear from the list that the OP values banging off a group of ranked courses above having an authentic experience.

I'd rather those guys not make the drive north of Inverness and keep their luxury coaches parked at the Trump course.

"It's pretty clear from the list that the OP values banging off a group of ranked courses above having an authentic experience."

Planet Golf, Golf Monthly, Golf World, and Golf Digest all rank Dornoch higher than Trump, and it's an authentic experience.

Also, Castle Stuart is one hour from Dornoch, but two hours twenty minutes from Trump.

Skip Dornoch.

giphy.gif

It's pretty clear from the list that the OP values banging off a group of ranked courses above having an authentic experience.

I'd rather those guys not make the drive north of Inverness and keep their luxury coaches parked at the Trump course.

ah, i see ... hmm ... you want them to keep to the 'touristy' places and not crowd you ...

they're playing berwick, toc, rcd, carnoustie & dornoch ... are those courses not authentic? ... i'd wager a good sum most locals would say those places are authentic as it gets for a links/irish/scottish course ... they just happen to be the cream of the crop ...

Skip Dornoch.

giphy.gif

ah, i see ... hmm ... you want them to keep to the 'touristy' places and not crowd you ...

they're playing berwick, toc, rcd, carnoustie & dornoch ... are those courses not authentic? ... i'd wager a good sum most locals would say those places are authentic as it gets for a links/irish/scottish course ... they just happen to be the cream of the crop ...

They're all legit, wonderful links courses. Authentic experiences? Uh. I don't feel it.

St. Andrews - which I love - is the Disney World of golf. Disney World is the happiest place on Earth (actually, I think that's technically Disneyland but whatever). St. Andrews is the greatest golf resort in the world. It's wonderful. It's amazing. But it doesn't really reflect Scotland (IMHO). It's all tourists on a pilgrimage. Which is great fun, but is no more Scottish Golf than Frontierland is the American West.

Similarly, at Carnoustie, you'll find a few members, but no self respecting Scotsman will pay 200 quid for a visitor round.

Dornoch used to be an off the beaten path course that almost nobody "knew" about. As the rankings and raves continue, it's more and more difficult to get a real round in there and not a five hour slog between two groups of louts who blew in for the day, are marking it off their list, and will never be seen again. It's just one more experience being disney-fied in the golf landscape.

Planet Golf, Golf Monthly, Golf World, and Golf Digest all rank Dornoch higher than Trump, and it's an authentic experience.

True, and it's an outlier from the rest of the list (except Muirfield) in terms of "authentic experience". It's clear from the list that the OP would rather play "big names" than actually appreciate the experience of Scottish golf. Trump would be perfect for him. Castle Stuart also good.

True, and it's an outlier from the rest of the list (except Muirfield) in terms of "authentic experience". It's clear from the list that the OP would rather play "big names" than actually appreciate the experience of Scottish golf. Trump would be perfect for him. Castle Stuart also good.

So putting on a tie and jacket is an "authentic experience" of Scottish golf, but playing at North Berwick and Carnoustie are not?

F.T.

So putting on a tie and jacket is an "authentic experience" of Scottish golf, but playing at North Berwick and Carnoustie are not?

Interesting question. From my perspective, Muirfield also doesn't represent an "authentic" Scottish Golf experience. But it IS a unique and great experience in the game (in the same way that I view queuing up overnight for the Old Course).

North Berwick (IMHO) is borderline.

Carnoustie is a tourist trap.

Interesting question. From my perspective, Muirfield also doesn't represent an "authentic" Scottish Golf experience. But it IS a unique and great experience in the game (in the same way that I view queuing up overnight for the Old Course).

Ya see I cannot agree with that pejorative, if you apply it to Carnoustie, but not to Dornoch.

Scottish (Irish golf even more so) golf's top whatever courses have all gone that way haven't they? There's nothing inherently wrong in them wanting their piece of the pie.

That links turf is still firm and tight and all the shots are still there to be played. And if you're with a foursome of your mates, how much different is the round going to be? You can find all the 'authenticity' you want before and after your round.

Surely at this point the only thing stopping Dornoch from having the rounds played of the southerly courses is that drive. Add in Coul Links in a few years time and it'll be another golfing Pier 39/Times Square like the rest of them.

F.T.

Ya see I cannot agree with that pejorative, if you apply it to Carnoustie, but not to Dornoch.

Scottish (Irish golf even more so) golf's top whatever courses have all gone that way haven't they? There's nothing inherently wrong in them wanting their piece of the pie.

That links turf is still firm and tight and all the shots are still there to be played. And if you're with a foursome of your mates, how much different is the round going to be? You can find all the 'authenticity' you want before and after your round.

Surely at this point the only thing stopping Dornoch from having the rounds played of the southerly courses is that drive. Add in Coul Links in a few years time and it'll be another golfing Pier 39/Times Square like the rest of them.

That's fair.

From my perspective, Dornoch has been the last of the great courses to be molested by the hordes. Its distance from anywhere has been a moat that prevents so many people on the "bucket list" trip from making it all the way up there. The development of Castle Stuart made it a more workable destination (an overnight in Inverness is a simple coach ride away from both). And it's been slipping away ever since. This was the first year in almost 20 that I have not made it up there - I've been working myself deeper and deeper into the shoulder season to avoid the crowd, and I just ran out of time this year. Coul Links, if it happens, will be the end (and new beginning) of Dornoch. We'll get two unbelievably good courses, but lose one unbelievable experience.

Carnoustie is long gone - and I'm not sure it ever was. So close to St. Andrews and such a brute of a course; I'm not sure it was ever a local favorite.

Raynor, I'm sure you're an absolute pleasure to be around. There's a reason the courses are "big names".

Let me guess, you know somewhere better to dine than that restaurant everyone raves about. And you know a band way better than (insert popular artist here).

I asked for an opinion about 3 courses, not for smug, superior hubris.

Raynor, I'm sure you're an absolute pleasure to be around. There's a reason the courses are "big names".

Let me guess, you know somewhere better to dine than that restaurant everyone raves about. And you know a band way better than (insert popular artist here).

I asked for an opinion about 3 courses, not for smug, superior hubris.

Thanks!

I actually legitimately believe that, given the others on your itinerary, you’d have more fun at Trump than at Dornoch. And it would save you a lot of time in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Madness to suggest dropping Royal Dornoch from any itinerary of top golf courses in Scotland. It borders on calling for the men in white coats!

I agree with the majority that Royal Aberdeen is the one to play between those three courses. I liked Cruden Bay and I'm glad that I have played it but realistically would I rush back, the answer is no. Its fun and its quirky but it can be infuriating and annoying too, that said the condition was excellent, greens were fabulous. I'd play Murcar before I played Cruden again in all honesty.

Csstle Stuart is a strange one, wonderful location and scenery, the holes on the shore are phenomenal, stunning holes, amazing bunkering and great green sites plus complexes. Then you go up the hill on the back nine and for me the course just loses something, it was very "St Andrews Bay" like and felt like a different course to finish. Maybe its just me but I feel it punches a tad above its weight. Although please note that is just my opinion!

I'll throw in Moray Old since you are "in the area" its a tremendous track. Well worth looking into.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

There was nothing "Disney World" about St. Andrews when we were there, at least I'm struggling to find much in the way of a comparison. It doesn't reflect Scottish golf? Not understanding that, either. It's right in a bustling, university town and yes, has lots of tourists and I'm sure folks for whom that is "the" place they want to play from all sorts of places. But not reflect Scottish golf? It IS Scottish golf the minute you step on the first tee. It was us and our caddies out there on and experiencing THE GOLF COURSE which means everything it embodies from the layout to the history, you name it. I think you are dead wrong on that one. Is Brora more "Scottish golf" just because it is remote and the lot isn't full of tour buses? I saw a few tour buses at Dornoch every day, but getting on wasn't a problem at all and the two times in 5 days we played it the experience again was the golf course, it was far from crowded and what did I care who else played it that day - we had little or any interaction or concern about any other players on any course we played - again, seemed like just us out there.

I guess it depends on your concept of "experience", but judge the experience by your on course experience not who you'd prefer not have access or how busy you perceive the courses to be or how many tourists are playing. St. Andrews as a town was unique and the course is every much a part of the entire history of the town as the castle, cathedral, university and on and on. We were there during graduation, plenty of golf folks as well and walked along with an R&A Club comp on Sunday (that's pretty "Scottish golf") - so yes, a heck of a lot more going on than in Dornoch or Crail or Anstruther. I'm just not getting how it matters if you stand in line at 2 a.m. vs. getting a tee time in the lottery to have a more "authentic" experience. The course is what matters - to me anyway. Include the town in the experience and it's only more amazing.