2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing North Berwick on Friday, where should I play Thursday?

Hi folks!

I’m headed to Scotland for a few days over Thanksgiving. I have already booked a game at North Berwick on Friday, but can’t decide on where I want to play Thursday.

The leading contenders are Gullane (#1 or #2) or Kilspindie, but I’m open to any suggestions. I will be staying near Bruntsfield Links, but will have a car.

Thanks In advance!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen Golf Club.

Why isn't The Glen Golf Club mentioned more? I have honestly never heard of it until now. I looked it up and read some reviews etc and it seems like be a good course with top notch views. I was also looking for an extra course to play near North Berwick, and Gullane 1 has an event the day. I think I may add Glen Golf Club.

Glen Golf Club.

Why isn't The Glen Golf Club mentioned more? I have honestly never heard of it until now. I looked it up and read some reviews etc and it seems like be a good course with top notch views. I was also looking for an extra course to play near North Berwick, and Gullane 1 has an event the day. I think I may add Glen Golf Club.

We are definitely playing there - everything I read about it is great. Had to scratch North Berwick back in June, and really hadn't researched the other courses near it because we weren't staying down there, but in researching the area Glen Golf Club really stood out.

Gullane #2, Dunbar or Craigielaw would be my recommendation.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I thought the Glen was a really good course. Its not a true links, its set up mostly on rocky bluffs, but every hole has views out over the Firth, or back towards North Berwick. The hospitality was great, and the price was very affordable. Dunbar is a little further away, probably a little tougher, but again welcoming and fun.

I didn't mention, we played Gullane 2 and 3 as a 36 hole day. In a world of moderately high prices, I think it was 9 pounds to add a round on #3 after we played #2 in the morning. Both were fun, although the walk up and over the hill and back, twice, was a good challenge. I highly recommend the Old Clubhouse Restaurant in Gullane for an exceptional fish dinner (fish and chips).

(edit...added the stuff about Gullane)

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

I’ve seen a lot of people recommending Gullane #2 over #1 both here and on other forums - does anyone have any reasons why? Is it the scenery? Difficulty of the golf course? Price?

I’m currently debating between Glen Golf Club, Gullane #1/#2, and Kilspindie while refreshing the weather forecast every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

I’ve seen a lot of people recommending Gullane #2 over #1 both here and on other forums - does anyone have any reasons why? Is it the scenery? Difficulty of the golf course? Price?

I’m currently debating between Glen Golf Club, Gullane #1/#2, and Kilspindie while refreshing the weather forecast every 15 minutes or so.

All three courses at Gullane go up and over the same big hill, down towards the firth, and back up and over the hill heading towards the last few holes. There is very little difference in scenery, although #1 runs closer to the town, #3 is the furthest away. I've not played #1, so I can't compare difficulty, but I know that the cost for #1 is the highest of the group. Based on what I've read, from Allan Ferguson's book and others, is that #2 gives you essentially the same experience as #1, but at a substantially lower price, which leaves more money for a couple of pints after playing (and after you put the car keys away for the evening)

Since I can’t decide on where to play on Thursday, the new plan is to play two rounds!

I’ve booked a time at Gullane 2 for 8:30AM - the course said it would be pretty empty at that time, and I’m estimating it will take between 3h-3:30h to finish the round. That makes me finish at around 11:30 or noon, and then I’m going to grab some lunch and head to Kilspindie to get in as many holes as I can. A little shorter course seemed to make sense for the second round of the day.

Anyone ever tried Longniddry when in East Lothian? I'm curious about it due to its proximity to Edinburgh, but haven't really heard too much.

Its fine, but not in the same calibre as North Berwick, Gullane, Kilspindie etc. It actually feels quite parkland-ish. If you are coming over from America, its one that you could squeeze in to an available afternoon. Don't base your day around it however as its not really magic enough for that sort of trip.

As to the OP. The glen is a decent track but again not up there with North Berwick or Gullane. The club house is really good and you will get well taken care of. Green fees good value as well.

I played Gullane number 2 last weekend. Cracking day for it, no wind, sun was shining and temps were probably about 11 degrees. The course is good fun, but in those conditions when the rough is all down and no weather, it has no teeth. We banged in 14 birdies between the four of us and our handicaps are in the 6-9 range. I could see however that it would be a different beast when the wind is blowing and rough is up.

Anyone ever tried Longniddry when in East Lothian? I'm curious about it due to its proximity to Edinburgh, but haven't really heard too much.

Its fine, but not in the same calibre as North Berwick, Gullane, Kilspindie etc. It actually feels quite parkland-ish. If you are coming over from America, its one that you could squeeze in to an available afternoon. Don't base your day around it however as its not really magic enough for that sort of trip.

As to the OP. The glen is a decent track but again not up there with North Berwick or Gullane. The club house is really good and you will get well taken care of. Green fees good value as well.

I played Gullane number 2 last weekend. Cracking day for it, no wind, sun was shining and temps were probably about 11 degrees. The course is good fun, but in those conditions when the rough is all down and no weather, it has no teeth. We banged in 14 birdies between the four of us and our handicaps are in the 6-9 range. I could see however that it would be a different beast when the wind is blowing and rough is up.

LOL, lots of birdies sounds like a great time!

The day we played the Old Course conditions were pretty tame all the way around, only enhanced my enjoyment and score! Thicken up the areas off the fairway, add some wind and adverse weather and you could easily see a score much higher, but we weren't complaining. Still required hitting the rights spots, etc. (well, trying!).

Glen Golf Club.

The Glen is a great course its just that there are better courses in the area. I think if you could just place it somewhere else then it would get more of a look in but when you compare it to the West it just isn't in the same league.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Since I can’t decide on where to play on Thursday, the new plan is to play two rounds!

I’ve booked a time at Gullane 2 for 8:30AM - the course said it would be pretty empty at that time, and I’m estimating it will take between 3h-3:30h to finish the round. That makes me finish at around 11:30 or noon, and then I’m going to grab some lunch and head to Kilspindie to get in as many holes as I can. A little shorter course seemed to make sense for the second round of the day.

Enjoy Gullane, all 3 courses are great to play. You get a free bucket of balls before your round if you want so get there early. Haven't played Kilspindie yet but its on my list. Only heard good things about it.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Is a bit of a drive, but since you have come this far only about 2 hours 15 from North Berwick, but Turnberry is first class.

I played there on Sunday, course was in fantastic condition as always and as good a course as you will find anywhere.

Well worth the drive - the changes made to both courses really are very good

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for their insight!

I ended up playing Gullane 2 and Kilspindie on Thursday, North Berwick on Friday, and The Glen on Saturday.

A few of the best pictures I took:

https://imgur.com/a/ks1JEUT

Nice pics. Thoughts on The Glen, how did it stack compared to the others?

It was probably the most dramatic and scenic of the four courses I played, but probably would have been third on my rankings.

North Berwick > Kilspindie > The Glen > Gullane. I thought they were all fantastic tracks though, and would play any of them again if given the opportunity.

The soil of The Glen was clay, and the rain that had been hitting the Edinburgh area hit it the hardest, but all of the courses were in surprisingly good shape and very playable. One thing that really disappointed me was that the downhill par 3 13th was actually a blind shot from where the tees were set. I thought that was a pretty ridiculous decision - to have a blind shot on the most scenic shot on the course. We ended up just playing that hole from the red tees where you could actually see the target.

I ended up playing Gullane 2 and Kilspindie on Thursday, North Berwick on Friday, and The Glen on Saturday.

It was probably the most dramatic and scenic of the four courses I played, but probably would have been third on my rankings.

North Berwick > Kilspindie > The Glen > Gullane. I thought they were all fantastic tracks though, and would play any of them again if given the opportunity.

The soil of The Glen was clay, and the rain that had been hitting the Edinburgh area hit it the hardest, but all of the courses were in surprisingly good shape and very playable. One thing that really disappointed me was that the downhill par 3 13th was actually a blind shot from where the tees were set. I thought that was a pretty ridiculous decision - to have a blind shot on the most scenic shot on the course. We ended up just playing that hole from the red tees where you could actually see the target.

Thanks for the info! I think I may play it the day I get in if I am not too tired. Sounds like you had a solid time!

We played that 13th as a blind shot as well, all we could really see was a sliver of the right edge of the green. Still, blind par-3 holes aren't totally unheard of in the British Isles, look at #5 at Prestwick and #5 at Lahinch. I agree with your assessment, the Glen is a lovely course, although I might have put it pretty even with Gullane. We thought about Kilspindie, and ended up playing at Musselburgh with hickory-shafted clubs.

We played that 13th as a blind shot as well, all we could really see was a sliver of the right edge of the green. Still, blind par-3 holes aren't totally unheard of in the British Isles, look at #5 at Prestwick and #5 at Lahinch. I agree with your assessment, the Glen is a lovely course, although I might have put it pretty even with Gullane. We thought about Kilspindie, and ended up playing at Musselburgh with hickory-shafted clubs.

I have no problem with a blind par-3 hole, I just think in this specific case, it’s a waste of one of the best views on the property. There was also a blind tee shot on the next par 4 that I thought was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Winterfield Golf Club near Dunbar is a true links course and doesn't get a lot of love or attention, at least compared with most of the other links courses in the area. Probably would pass it by, but it just so happens it will be having a mixed pairs greensomes competition when we are in East Lothian. I'd seen they had one last year (and it seems clubs repeat those comps generally on the same weekends each year based on looking that stuff up the last couple of years) and emailed the pro shop and got an email saying "yes" they will have it again this year and "look forward to seeing you" SO my wife and I will play a little 18 hole comp on a Saturday. Very inexpensive way of playing the course (not an expensive course to play anyway), looks to have some great views and a perfect, fun little track for the two of us to fool around on for a day. Not on the club website officially for a couple of weeks but will be looking for that entry form! Love the hospitality over there.

Winterfield Golf Club near Dunbar is a true links course and doesn't get a lot of love or attention, at least compared with most of the other links courses in the area. Probably would pass it by, but it just so happens it will be having a mixed pairs greensomes competition when we are in East Lothian. I'd seen they had one last year (and it seems clubs repeat those comps generally on the same weekends each year based on looking that stuff up the last couple of years) and emailed the pro shop and got an email saying "yes" they will have it again this year and "look forward to seeing you" SO my wife and I will play a little 18 hole comp on a Saturday. Very inexpensive way of playing the course (not an expensive course to play anyway), looks to have some great views and a perfect, fun little track for the two of us to fool around on for a day. Not on the club website officially for a couple of weeks but will be looking for that entry form! Love the hospitality over there.

Not only that, you'll probably play with locals, and meet a few more before and after the round. Have a blast!