2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

WHS FAQs

Newby

If your group has guys posting high scores on a hole "once they cannot make birdie" they need to be told to post what they most likely would have made. Too many guys try to post their ESC maximum

ESC is going. For handicap purposes, net double bogey will be used for higher scores or 'pick ups'.

Still the same point is it not? If posting is allowed in four ball matches and your partner is in with par you cannot pick up and just say gimme a double. Of have to post most likely score for the hole if less than double.

Double will be the maximum score? That could really lower an erratic high handicappers handicap. The guy that makes a half dozen pars and a bunch of doubles and triples.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

A question from CONGU land for our US cousins.

If you calculated your handicap just on the ‘CONGU’ type scores, would it be different from what it is as per the USGA rules?

I realise that you don’t play many individual singles competitive rounds (and obviously pre registered attested scores don’t occur as there is no need to have them), but if you do and you have enough competitive singles rounds in your record to make it meaningful , would the average of the last 10 be different from the current average that includes social, team, matchplay scores as currently?

As I understand (or don't) CONGU the amount (or whether or not ?) you go up or down for a given round is at least somewhat dependent on everybody else's scores that day, no ?

If so, I don't see how there's any way for anybody to really know. :dntknw:

It is difficult for us to check by including these scores as we don’t play this way and do not have the data.

I assume that before a decision is made on which scores to accept when the WHS decides to become properly worldwide, such data would need to be gathered.

At the moment, if some US players do have enough competition rounds at least you could see if these scores vary more dramatically or not versus the rounds posted in formats deemed currently unacceptable by CONGU.

A problem here (CONGU & EGA) is that "you" don't have social, casual, whatever, rounds included. I assume that is the data you don't have.

A problem here (USA) is that the vast majority of golfers keeping a handicap have one based on MOSTLY casual (read NON-comp) rounds. My "best guess" would be that fewer than 20% (I confess it's just a "best guess") of USA golfers have more than 7 or 8 T/Comp rounds a year. Surely not enough to keep a handicap based on Comp Only scores.

Here in the USA, taking a player's scores into account you would probably see one of 2 things - either the player's "T" score are better because he/she plays more conservatively in comps and takes on lower percentage shots in casual rounds, OR that they mostly "fold" under the pressure of a "comp" round.

In any case, you said "Before a decision is made............." I don't follow the WHS much, if at all, other than what I read here on WRX and i realize the WHS isn't "official" for another year now but isn't the (basically) USA System, with some minor tweaks (e.g. 8 out of 20), more or less a done deal in the WHS ?

I often wonder how a minimum of three scores per year maintains a handicap of a player's potential (other than past potential)?

Don't need to tell you the USGA's purpose is to try to make a fair game. Does that mean a fair tournament game ? A fair "comp" (as Augster pointed out) ? A fair Sunday foursome ? USGA handicapping weights "T" scores more to deal (even more ?) with potential sandbagging.

Does the average player play better or worse in (real) tournaments ? I'd guess worse but I wouldn't even guess at the ratio.

There's little doubt CONGU golfers are a more formalized group, many playing mostly comps most the time while under the "eyesight (if you will)) of their club officers while the USGA golfers are a much less formal group.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

A question from CONGU land for our US cousins.

If you calculated your handicap just on the 'CONGU' type scores, would it be different from what it is as per the USGA rules?

I realise that you don't play many individual singles competitive rounds (and obviously pre registered attested scores don't occur as there is no need to have them), but if you do and you have enough competitive singles rounds in your record to make it meaningful , would the average of the last 10 be different from the current average that includes social, team, matchplay scores as currently?

As I understand (or don't) CONGU the amount (or whether or not ?) you go up or down for a given round is at least somewhat dependent on everybody else's scores that day, no ?

If so, I don't see how there's any way for anybody to really know. :dntknw:

It is difficult for us to check by including these scores as we don't play this way and do not have the data.

I assume that before a decision is made on which scores to accept when the WHS decides to become properly worldwide, such data would need to be gathered.

At the moment, if some US players do have enough competition rounds at least you could see if these scores vary more dramatically or not versus the rounds posted in formats deemed currently unacceptable by CONGU.

A problem here (CONGU & EGA) is that "you" don't have social, casual, whatever, rounds included. I assume that is the data you don't have.

A problem here (USA) is that the vast majority of golfers keeping a handicap have one based on MOSTLY casual (read NON-comp) rounds. My "best guess" would be that fewer than 20% (I confess it's just a "best guess") of USA golfers have more than 7 or 8 T/Comp rounds a year. Surely not enough to keep a handicap based on Comp Only scores.

Here in the USA, taking a player's scores into account you would probably see one of 2 things - either the player's "T" score are better because he/she plays more conservatively in comps and takes on lower percentage shots in casual rounds, OR that they mostly "fold" under the pressure of a "comp" round.

In any case, you said "Before a decision is made............." I don't follow the WHS much, if at all, other than what I read here on WRX and i realize the WHS isn't "official" for another year now but isn't the (basically) USA System, with some minor tweaks (e.g. 8 out of 20), more or less a done deal in the WHS ?

Do not confuse comp scores with T-scores. All T-scores are comp scores but not all comp scores are T-scores.

You are correct. I was not confused.

I was generalizing and more concerned with whether or not the WHS was still in relative "flux" about 8 out of 20, CR & slope, or was it still possible to become CONGU-ish.

Titleist Pro V1X

Still the same point is it not? If posting is allowed in four ball matches and your partner is in with par you cannot pick up and just say gimme a double. Of have to post most likely score for the hole if less than double.

Double will be the maximum score? That could really lower an erratic high handicappers handicap. The guy that makes a half dozen pars and a bunch of doubles and triples.

I don't think the way of handling 4ball and matchplay scores has been finalised yet. Golf Australia already has a process for handicap processing of 'Good' fourball competitions and I guess this will form the basis of the WHS process.

Incidentally, GA also have "Conforming Social Scores" with a formal process much like the CONGU and EGA requirements for supplementary scores.

• The player must have nominated prior to starting a round that it is to count for handicap purposes.

• The scoring format must be Stableford.

• The player must have a Marker throughout their round.

• The player must abide by the Rules of Golf.

I don't think the way of handling 4ball and matchplay scores has been finalised yet. Golf Australia already has a process for handicap processing of 'Good' fourball competitions and I guess this will form the basis of the WHS process.

Incidentally, GA also have "Conforming Social Scores" with a formal process much like the CONGU and EGA requirements for supplementary scores.

• The player must have nominated prior to starting a round that it is to count for handicap purposes. NOPE

• The scoring format must be Stableford. NEVER gonna happen

• The player must have a Marker throughout their round. Assuming a marker can be a fellow competitor, sure, why not ?

• The player must abide by the Rules of Golf. Ummmmm,,,,,,,,, OK :)

In my best RoadKing2003 imitation,,,,,,, for USA only of course,,,,,,,, :D

Titleist Pro V1X

• The player must have nominated prior to starting a round that it is to count for handicap purposes. NOPE

• The player must have a Marker throughout their round. Assuming a marker can be a fellow competitor, sure, why not ?

So under the leeway allowed for differing golfing cultures,

Will US players be able to post without declaring in advance?

Will they be able to post formats like skins (using max net double if they pick up)

Will they be able to play different formats simultaneously and still post?

I think the OP is trying to figure how similar hcps from differing cultures will really be under WHS.

It has been debated if "nomination" is same as telling FC that "btw I am posting this round" or something more formal.

Stableford does not have to be the actual format, only that the strokeplay score is converted to Stableford by the computer.

The marker is usually one of the FCs.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

So under the leeway allowed for differing golfing cultures,

Will US players be able to post without declaring in advance?

Will they be able to post formats like skins (using max net double if they pick up)

Will they be able to play different formats simultaneously and still post?

I think the OP is trying to figure how similar hcps from differing cultures will really be under WHS.

I really don't know. Just like the new Rules, other than reading about this stuff from the fine gentlemen here (NOT kidding BTW) on the Rules and Etiquette forums I really don't pay that much attention until it's imminent. I'm only now going to concentrate on the Rule changes for Jan 1.

A year from now is when I'll really catch up on the new handicapping rules.

I was just having some fun via RoadKing's previous comments (in other threads) on some USA golfing "habits". Then again, I DO agree with the "answers" I gave. It's already been commented on quite a bit but the golfing "culture" here in the USA is generally a LOT less formal than in Europe.

Then again, that's kinda sorta why the USA came to be the USA, no ? ;)

Titleist Pro V1X

Stableford does not have to be the actual format, only that the strokeplay score is converted to Stableford by the computer.

The marker is usually one of the FCs.

I was simply listing how the GA system is set out.

But stableford does have to be the playing format in GA and CONGU. But there is nor dramatic reason why it couldn't be normal strokeplay for the reason you give. In GB&I supplementaries are mostly used by high handicappers because the often don't play many competitions, so it does speed their game up if picking up when not scoring.

We won't have FCs, just 'players'. I suspect most US recreation golf is played with other players.

My only point in asking this question was to shed some light (and perhaps some data/facts) on the inevitable debate on the single and probably the most important issue that all the announcements on WHS have failed to address, and seemingly have deferred to some time in the future beyond 2020 for some reason, and that is which scores are eligible.

As I suspect there seems to be little availalable data to compare the effect on which scores should be eligible and therefore which would be the most desirable to achieve the desired result i.e. handicaps reflecting potential ability most accurately and, as far as possible, to eliminate manipulation (either up or down to avoid vanity ‘caps or sandbagging).

My guess is that sometime in 2021’ish there will be a pronouncement about this saying that ‘the evidence’ points towards their conclusion (whateverthe decision is) - I am fascinated to know how this evidence will be gathered, doesn’t seem available to me now.

NET double bogey will be the new “ESC Max”. So if a player has a course cap of 36, gets 2 strokes per hole, on a par 4, the most he can post for that hole is an 8. Currently it’s a 9. On a par 5 a 36 will still be posting a 9, but on a par 3, the most he’ll post is a 7.

So on the highest end, they’ll get a couple less shots. More significant if they blow up par 3’s really badly.

NET double bogey will be the new “ESC Max”. So if a player has a course cap of 36, gets 2 strokes per hole, on a par 4, the most he can post for that hole is an 8. Currently it’s a 9. On a par 5 a 36 will still be posting a 9, but on a par 3, the most he’ll post is a 7.

So on the highest end, they’ll get a couple less shots. More significant if they blow up par 3’s really badly.

Oh, net double. Makes more sense. Mostly eliminates the silly "gimme a 7" on par 3's.

I really liked the original ESC. A 7 cap could only take 7 doubles. A scratch none, etc.

Agreed. There's more to the differences than what type of scores are used. My handicap can go up or down 1 full stroke just by posting one score.

Assuming you are talking about your course handicap, not your handicap index, that can happen under any system. Right?

Nope, under the EGA and CONGU systems the maximum increase to a handicap per round is 0.1. Thus you need ten bad rounds to go up one stroke.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Agreed. There's more to the differences than what type of scores are used. My handicap can go up or down 1 full stroke just by posting one score.

Assuming you are talking about your course handicap, not your handicap index, that can happen under any system. Right?

Nope, under the EGA and CONGU systems the maximum increase to a handicap per round is 0.1. Thus you need ten bad rounds to go up one stroke.

But if you round to a whole number, a difference of 0.1 can change your on-course handicap by a full stroke.

From the CONGU Handicap Manual:

What is a ‘Buffer Zone’?

A player’s ‘Buffer Zone’ is a range of scores returned in competitions where the player’s handicap will not be changed. The buffer zone is different depending upon the player’s handicap category. A player returns a score within his Buffer Zone when his Nett Differential is within specified limits.

Handicap of player Buffer Zone(Nett Differential)

Category 1: Handicaps up to 5 0 to +1

Category 2: Handicaps 6 to 12 0 to +2

Category 3: Handicaps 13 to 20 0 to +3

Category 4: Handicaps 21 to 28 0 to +4

Category 5: Ladies Handicaps 29 to 36 0 to +5

I have returned a score outside buffer zone but my handicap has not changed. How is this possible?

Under some circumstances (when few nett scores in a competition are close to the Standard Scratch Score of the course or better) the Competition Scratch Score will be identified as 'Reductions Only'. Here, no increases of 0.1 may be applied to a handicap (although anyone returning a Nett Differential below zero will still have his handicap reduced!).

But if you round to a whole number, a difference of 0.1 can change your on-course handicap by a full stroke.

Of course at some point the course handicap changes one stroke. But when, depends on course slope (+CR and par in EGA).

Here is part of the "slope table" on my course from club tees for men (CR 71,7, slope 131, par 72):

HCP Course HC

7,6 - 8,4 9

8,5 - 9,3 10

9,4 - 10,1 11

10,2 - 11,0 12

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Handicap or index?

That's the point I'm trying to make. Posting one score in GHIN that increases your index one stroke would be pretty close to, if not, impossible. On the downside, you would have to post a score ten strokes lower than the average of your ten lowest which is highly unlikely.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Posting one score in GHIN that increases your index one stroke would be pretty close to, if not, impossible. On the downside, you would have to post a score ten strokes lower than the average of your ten lowest which is highly unlikely.

If you are 5 handicap your best 10 average 5 over the rating-yes that is roughly with slope calculations not included. So if you had a +7 coming off you last 20 and posted a -3 that day you would gain(lose?) a whole stroke from your index.

Edit-learn to read Shilgy! Geez man. It is probably impossible to GAIN a whole stroke-as you posted. I wrote about how you could LOWER your index. :(

Handicap or index?

I'm not familiar with the terms to know which one is which, over here we talk about handicaps and course handicaps and I mean the former, I've heard the term exact handicap used (say 8.7), from which the course (or playing) handicap is derived.

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Agreed(?) Increasing you index by a full stroke with just one round would be unusual but not impossible. Rounds of 0 to 10 give say, a 5 index. 11th best score, i.e. NOT in the 10 best right now could be, say 13. If the 0 differential drops out and the newly entered round is higher than 13, the 13 replaces the 0. Voila', more than a stroke higher.

0.0 through 10.0 are your 10 best. 0.0 is the OLDEST round in your 20. 11th best is 13. You shoot a 15 differential. 0.0 drops out, 13 gets in. 1.3 stroke increase.

Decreasing your index by a full stroke with just one round is also unusual but it's not done by posting a score 10 lower than the average of your best 10 - that IS your index. It would be 10 lower than the 10th best differential on your record before the newly played round that would lower your index a full stroke provided those 10, excepting for the 10th now getting knocked out, all stay in the last 20.

0.0 through 12.0 are your 10 best. All are fairly recent. You shoot another 0.0. The 12.0 drops out and the 0.0 gets in. 1.2 stroke drop.

Titleist Pro V1X

]If you are 5 handicap your best 10 average 5 over the rating-yes that is roughly with slope calculations not included. So if you had a +7 coming off you last 20 and posted a -3 that day you would gain(lose?) a whole stroke from your index.

Edit-learn to read Shilgy! Geez man. It is probably impossible to GAIN a whole stroke-as you posted. I wrote about how you could LOWER your index. :(

A 5 capper would shoot a -3 once in 20,111 rounds. That would be a net -8 it it's quite rare.

And the +7 coming off might not one of the ten lowest.

To all, in my post, I said "handicap" which to me means "course handicap". A handicap index is only a reference number to determine a player's handicap (aka course handicap). Nobody I know is interested in my handicap INDEX, just my "handicap".

Interesting. To me it would be the exact opposite.

So if you bumped into a guy in say, a restaurant, or anywhere other than just before you played a round, and you both started talking about golf and he asked you what your handicap was you'd give him your course handicap ?

I'd assume someone asking me such a thing, except on or around a golf course, would want to know my handicap index.

But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

]If you are 5 handicap your best 10 average 5 over the rating-yes that is roughly with slope calculations not included. So if you had a +7 coming off you last 20 and posted a -3 that day you would gain(lose?) a whole stroke from your index.

A 5 capper would shoot a -3 once in 20,111 rounds. That would be a net -8 it it's quite rare.

Then it's less rare. Just needs to be 10 apart.

Both you and NSX are using extremely erratic players. For instance my current index is 3.1 and the highest of the ten counting is 5.9. #'s 11, 12, 13 are all 6.8 and #14 is 6.9 while NSX in his illustration jumped quite a bit just to #11. Perhaps some players have a huge spread in their scores but I don't see it.

Edited to add. If, as the usga says, players will average about 3 strokes over their cap for all rounds and a player is a 5 it is better unlikely he averaged 5 for his best ten and #11 is 8 strokes above cap. That would be more likely to be his wrist score in last 20.

To all, in my post, I said "handicap" which to me means "course handicap". A handicap index is only a reference number to determine a player's handicap (aka course handicap). Nobody I know is interested in my handicap INDEX, just my "handicap".

Interesting. To me it would be the exact opposite.

So if you bumped into a guy in say, a restaurant, or anywhere other than just before you played a round, and you both started talking about golf and he asked you what your handicap was you'd give him your course handicap ?

I'd assume someone asking me such a thing, except on or around a golf course, would want to know my handicap index.

But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's the same for me, if someone asks what your handicap is, chances are it's in a casual conversation with someone who doesn't play golf and all they know about golf is that every golfer has a handicap (which is true over here) so it's the easy follow-up question to keep the conversation going. When another golfer asks about it, I'd find it odd to start explaining about which course and which set of tees.

Both you and NSX are using extremely erratic players. For instance my current index is 3.1 and the highest of the ten counting is 5.9. #'s 11, 12, 13 are all 6.8 and #14 is 6.9 while NSX in his illustration jumped quite a bit just to #11. Perhaps some players have a huge spread in their scores but I don't see it.

Edited to add. If, as the usga says, players will average about 3 strokes over their cap for all rounds and a player is a 5 it is better unlikely he averaged 5 for his best ten and #11 is 8 strokes above cap. That would be more likely to be his wrist score in last 20.

Big swings are possible, just not very common. I play with a group of 16 - 18 guys who play 8 - 20 times every month. I've never seen a one stroke index change after one round posted. Our indexes usually vary from month to month by .5 or so. Even over the course of a year the variance is usually 2 points or less.

I suppose you might see much larger swings for players who only play 5 - 10 times per year.

Big swings are possible, just not very common. I play with a group of 16 - 18 guys who play 8 - 20 times every month. I've never seen a one stroke index change after one round posted. Our indexes usually vary from month to month by .5 or so. Even over the course of a year the variance is usually 2 points or less.

I suppose you might see much larger swings for players who only play 5 - 10 times per year.

I have seen a few times a change of 0.5 or 0.6. As I recall that is the best I have been made aware of.

Agreed, not very common, but how often do you and your guys check your index ?

Revisions are only twice a month and if you're playing 8-20 rounds it's unlikely you would even notice if 1 round changed your 'cap a lot simply because you'd all have to check your "trend" if your app even has that. GHIN doesn't. I can see somebody checking their index (as I do) themselves, especially after a VERY good round just for kicks but the index doesn't change right away.

IIRC, what is now called "trend" becomes a part of the new WHS, yes ? i.e your 'cap changes after every round. Nobody's mentioned that very much at the moment. (Or am I mistaken ?)

Titleist Pro V1X