Early Extension. Can’t beat this

00bolt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s another one face on. Well sorta. Best I could get inside the store.

I’m no expert. But I think this view is a lot worse. Something about my hip rotation and sway just doesn’t look right.

You have no loading during the transition and borderline casting. I'd see a good instructor and get that fixed before worrying about EE.

I know the word lag is a dirty word around here but there's no getting around it. Just about every pro has it and plenty of it.

[media=]

[/media]

I’m no expert. But I think this view is a lot worse. Something about my hip rotation and sway just doesn’t look right.

You have no loading during the transition and borderline casting. I'd see a good instructor and get that fixed before worrying about EE.

I know the word lag is a dirty word around here but there's no getting around it. Just about every pro has it and plenty of it.

Lag is fine...but how would he create lag when the top speed of his swing is half-way down to the ball?

[media=]

[/media]

Lag is fine...but how would he create lag when the top speed of his swing is half-way down to the ball?

Lag in my opinion is just loading up and releasing at an aiming point like snapping a whip. The first process is learning to load up. The second is learning your aiming point which can vary from player to player but usually it's in front of the ball unless you're playing an explosion bunker shot. Mcilroy says he aims a foot in front of the ball.

Loading up is important. Just about every pro maintains or increases the angle of the shaft and the lead forearm during the transition. Not everyone can load up like Sergio or Champ but you don't want to be casting from the top either.

Just watched this video and it’s darn near exactly what swing coach told me last lesson I took. And if you watch my pre shot routine swing in my last video. I consciously try and do this. I try and add lag and I’m thinking about keeping right wrist bend throughout the swing. However. I think I swing too hard and fast with my arms? In the downswing I think I’m trying to do everything in sequence by pressure to lead side and rotating hips. But my arms outrace everything? And then the only way to make ball contact is to basically get handsy? Does that make sense. Not sure if that’s anywhere close to what you guys are saying. But that is something that I think may be happening.

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

[media=]

[/media]

Lag in my opinion is just loading up and releasing at an aiming point like snapping a whip. The first process is learning to load up. The second is learning your aiming point which can vary from player to player but usually it's in front of the ball unless you're playing an explosion bunker shot. Mcilroy says he aims a foot in front of the ball.

Loading up is important. Just about every pro maintains or increases the angle of the shaft and the lead forearm during the transition. Not everyone can load up like Sergio or Champ but you don't want to be casting from the top either.

This may sound nuts...so I'm ready for "incoming"...but I try to think that the ball is coming at me like a baseball pitch. That gets me...in my mind, to "step in" to the shot. Upon doing this I saw my PW go from 125 to 140 because I'm not thinking of hitting a motionless object which promotes full turn.

OK...flame me now! LOL!

[media=]

[/media]

This may sound nuts...so I'm ready for "incoming"...but I try to think that the ball is coming at me like a baseball pitch. That thought promotes "stepping into" the shot vs. "ball focus". The results are wildly different . My PW sailed at least 10 more yards and the sound of turf interaction was like a "thump". Call me crazy!

Monte's IG post nails it. Also if you notice when Monte says "they can move out and in" ... you should be noticing how his chest responds to this move ... when he says "in" in ref to his butt the chest naturally starts pointing upwards towards the horizon or higher, when he references his butt being "out" his chest naturally wants to "look"/point down. Your chest probably needs to feel like it's pointing towards the ground at some point that you think is between the ball and your toes.

A common pitfall with the "out" is the misinterpretation aka what you have which is you curve the ever loving bejesus out of your spine instead of a correct rotation.

If you tried to rotate correctly with your chest feeling down and your butt "out" "behind" you DURING THE DOWNSWING, you would have to hurt yourself to EE, which I don't suggest.

[media=]

[/media]

This may sound nuts...so I'm ready for "incoming"...but I try to think that the ball is coming at me like a baseball pitch. That thought promotes "stepping into" the shot vs. "ball focus". The results are wildly different . My PW sailed at least 10 more yards and the sound of turf interaction was like a "thump". Call me crazy!

Whatever intentions work for you then they are correct. I read somewhere Hogan said he felt the the clubhead was at its fastest speed 3 foot past impact but we're getting off topic here.

[media=]

[/media]

Obviously not a busy day at work today. Ran back up there and took a couple more swings REALLY trying to incorporate what Monte and others have said about my setup, hips and right leg straightening. What do you guys think? For me I can say visually I see a difference. Feel wise...it sure feels weird.

You keep your left shoulder "pinned" to your chin way too long in transition - turns into an upper body lunge - you head is moving about half it's width ahead of where it was at setup - viola the cast - your losing arm speed from this too - causing your way left finish.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

That makes sense. I really think some of these issues are due to me swinging the arms at the ball too hard and fast. I basically swing at the ball like you would in baseball. I think I need to try and keep them more passive and let them follow along for the ride and not think swing arms at all?

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Just watched this video and it’s darn near exactly what swing coach told me last lesson I took. And if you watch my pre shot routine swing in my last video. I consciously try and do this. I try and add lag and I’m thinking about keeping right wrist bend throughout the swing. However. I think I swing too hard and fast with my arms? In the downswing I think I’m trying to do everything in sequence by pressure to lead side and rotating hips. But my arms outrace everything? And then the only way to make ball contact is to basically get handsy? Does that make sense. Not sure if that’s anywhere close to what you guys are saying. But that is something that I think may be happening.

No, your arms don’t outrace, them swinging too hard and too fast is a non issue and you wrists can’t work correctly, your hips are working incorrectly in both the backswing and downswing because you’re limiting range of motion at address.

You have too much anterior pelvic tilt at address and right hip is working away from the target instead of toward it.

Every mistake being discussed is either non existent or a result of this.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Googled anterior pelvic tilt and I understand what’s happening. But seems like I have that just in my natural everyday posture. Not even related to golf, I have a little of this. Looks like I need to do some exercises and try and fix this

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Monte and GLK have given you some good advice here. EE can definitely beat.

I'd like to add that you need to increase and maintain your left side bend in transition for much longer. You basically have zero of this now, so you have no time to square the clubface or separate the hips and shoulder turn. As it stands now, you start opening from the top immediately and then you absolutely must EE/Stall to get back to the ball. I like to feel like I'm pushing down and forward along the target line with my left lat for a moment while my arms slot/sync and my hips push back/rotate.

So just to make sure we are clear and I’m completely understanding. Basically my belt buckle needs to raise up higher?

In my address I know my shirt is falling over my belt buckle a little so it’s hard to completely see. But I don’t see that I’m THAAAAT far off. Is the adjustment that I need pretty minor?

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

So just to make sure we are clear and I’m completely understanding. Basically my belt buckle needs to raise up higher?

In my address I know my shirt is falling over my belt buckle a little so it’s hard to completely see. But I don’t see that I’m THAAAAT far off. Is the adjustment that I need pretty minor?

He has a little too much and you have significantly more than he does. You are WAY off and even more off at the top of the swing. It’s not higher in space, it’s pointing higher.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

No. I’m not trying to convince myself of anything. I’m just trying to fully understand so I know how to work on it.

Thanks Monte. Those help a lot. Hogan looks darn near standing up compared to me.

For me to stand even in normal posture without anterior tilt I have to really flex and put effort into tilting my pelvic forward and it’s a bit of a strain to hold it there in place. Is that normal? I’m assuming everyone isn’t like this and I just have really weak hip flexors or something

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

It’s not weak hip flexors, it’s a bad habit and your body isn’t used to being in that position. It actually takes more strength and flexibility to do what you’re doing at address and backswing.

Look at my two pictures. Look at Hogan and Nicklaus. Look at you and Champ.

Adam Scott looks a bit like champ too.

Champ and Scott are in between my before and after.

Nicklaus and Hogan look like the after.

You look exactly like the before.

Draw a straight line where the belt buckle is pointed and you will see it.

Also look at face on stills of guys like Tiger, Justin Rose, etc. Basically anyone not named Montgomery or a hip restrictor like Koepka. You will see their right hip work toward the target in the backswing. Here are three of Rose at address P3 md P4. Then compare to you.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

For me to stand even in normal posture without anterior tilt I have to really flex and put effort into tilting my pelvic forward and it’s a bit of a strain to hold it there in place. Is that normal? I’m assuming everyone isn’t like this and I just have really weak hip flexors or something

Check yourself in the mirror. Set up like you have been, and then feel like you're rounding your lower back and/while slightly tucking your tailbone in/under you. You'll feel the rounding/tucking action through engaging your stomach muscles. (You should also note that if you revert back to your s-curve posture, it takes no stomach muscle engagement to lock out your hips in that bad position.)

No. I’m not trying to convince myself of anything. I’m just trying to fully understand so I know how to work on it.

Thanks Monte. Those help a lot. Hogan looks darn near standing up compared to me.

Yes, I used to have pretty bad anterior pelvic tilt (not just in golf, but my posture in general) and it's not something that will just change now that you know how to go into posterior tilt. I still have to really focus on my posture as I sit at a computer all day for work. There's a ton of information available on YouTube and other sites on the subject and things you can do to address it. Might be worth a visit with a physical therapist to get evaluated and get some suggested activities (likely a combination of stretching and strengthening some areas). Even just doing pelvic tilts (going form anterior to posterior and holding) for 3 sets of 10-12 reps a day would help. If that's too difficult, do pelvic floors (same idea but laying on your back and engaging your core to flatten your lower back against the ground).

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Look how scrunched your pants are in front of hip sockets. Look how there is not of that in others photos, including Champ’s

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I’ll come back and read all this later. Wife has been running errands. Looks like a lot of good info. Thanks guys. Really appreciate it all!

Btw. Immediately I do see the crunched up pants. Pretty clear indicator there.

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Okay. That last post you made Monte with me and hogan is a big eye opener. My pelvic line goes almost to the ball. I’m definitely going to try and work on this. Just don’t think it’s quite as easy as just doing it. Gonna be some work for me. But I’m up for the challenge.

As for the previous post with Rose face on view. I took some screen shots of my face on in the same positions. The camera angle is slightly off. But other than the pelvic tilt, what’s the biggest issue here?

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Go re-read monte's post and look at rose's hips in relation to that line drawn. As you pivot back, the right hip should move away from that line and towards the target as it rotates up and back. Your hips cannot rotate correctly because of how you setup. Halfway back you actually go over that line, meaning you are swaying back instead of pivoting correctly, again because of how you setup. You are treating them as two faults when in reality one is caused by the other. So ignoring the setup to be fixed later while you try work on the other issues, isn't going to be fruitful at all. If you know the root of the problem, fix it vs trying to alleviate the symptoms that arise from it.

If you drew a line on tigers hip while he was at address, you would have seen that his hips move away from his line and towards the target.

Scroll through to 7 minutes.