How many of you carry 5 wedges?

rxk9fan

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

What changed my game was actually going from 4-5 specialty wedges down to 2.  I now have a 56 f grind and 60d grind and then go to my set pw at 49 degrees.  This has dramatically simplified my game four a couple reasons.  For starters, I can spend more time getting better with 2 wedges I have vs 4-5 all with various grinds.  Learning how to hit shots with those clubs gave me confidence I could step up to the ball and execute without overthinking.  

15 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Talking about the number of wedges carried, is IMO not the best informed subject.  Maybe the better question is: Who carries 4 or 5 Wedges, and actually practices and scores with them?

I appreciate the feedback, and I’ve heard these things said before. Respectfully, though, I’m not looking for a philosophical discussion on how many wedges we all should be carrying. That’s been hashed out many times over on this site, and there’s a multitude of different opinions. Some of these things have already been said in this thread

For those who do/can make it work for them, I want to know what they’re using and why, that’s all. 

And, for what it’s worth, having a place to practice 60-90 yard pitch shots off a variety of real turf lies into an actual green with a hole cut is one of the  more rare/inaccessible amenities, even for the avid golfer. I’d need to sneak on to my local muni and hit shots between groups (without getting caught) to be able to do it where I live. And if I had a place to affordably do it, I’d make time to do it at least several times a week, if not everyday!

Edited by Poor Mans Ty Webb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm retired and have a chipping green and grocery store just a few minutes away!  Ran out of sugar today so made a 2 hour trip to get a couple groceries and practice with my 52, 56, and three 58 lob wedges!

Nobody else was around so I did some long chips over the cart path!

The 58/TS is the club I grab for washed out bunkers.

The 58/8Z works great on sticky clay soil grass lies.

I was experimenting with the 58/12 CB today from a variety of lies.

I hit the three balls across the chipping green.  Then play Par 3 golf going the other way back to my clubs.  The chipping green has a very pronounced tilt so balls will slowly trickle down to the fringe.

Doing this has markedly improved my reads of long putts.  I have a much better intuition of how the putt will travel over twenty or thirty feet.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Thanks 1

I'm a proponent of playing what works for your game.

With that said, I currently play 5 wedges and don't think I'd want to change it.  I'm playing a 45/50/54/58/62 with the top of my bag being a driver, 3w, 3h, 4h (or 4i depending), strong 6i which basically covers all my distances needed at the top end.  I don't see having a 5i would help me any since my 6i is essentially a 5.5 (2* strong) and my 7i is essentially a 6.75 iron (1* strong), I can cover my yardages from 250 to 150 pretty easily with my current set up.  So with that said, what would help me the best with that extra club, and I feel its my 62*.  It essentially  only comes out when I'm in dire straights around the green or if I need to hit something really high into a green from 75ish yards, but I firmly believe it allows me to hit shots that a lot of golfers cannot around the green.  I don't know if it has net "saved" me strokes, since it comes out when i'm in trouble, but I guarantee I've hit more "amazing" shots with it than I ever could have with a 58* in the same position, and my bad shots with it would have been bad with any club given the circumstances.  

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Just now, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Can I ask about the differences in bounce/grind between your 54-58-62? Thanks. 

Sure!

The 45 and 50 are just i525 wedges, so nothing crazy (even though I'm probably going to update the 50 to a Vokey or the new Ping wedge), then the 54 is a standard S grind Vokey, mostly used for full shots or just square faced chips/pitches, then the 58 and 62 are M grinds that I do any type of "feel shot" with.  I do "Tiger step" the 54/58/62 with Project X LZs, while the 45 and 50 are just standard LZ shafts.

If the pictures of the new Ping wedges are all available retail, I'll probably change the 58 to the H grind (from the pictures) and then do the 62 in the lowest bounce option (used to be the T grind but not sure anymore).  

• Thanks 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Anyone ever change things up depending on the course you play?  Most of the time, I have 4 wedges:  46* PW (zx7),  Cleveland CBX zipcore 50, 54, 58.  But there have been times when a different course  that day would be better played by adding a Mizuno low bounce 60 in addition, for 5 wedges.  I'll drop my utility 4 for that.    Or, I've added a Cleveland chipper, again dropping the 4.

I've noticed it's not just which course I play, but also time of year.  Early spring/ late fall, things are hard and fast, I may change up the lower end for that as well. 

5 minutes ago, Froghair said:

Anyone ever change things up depending on the course you play?  Most of the time, I have 4 wedges:  46* PW (zx7),  Cleveland CBX zipcore 50, 54, 58.  But there have been times when a different course  that day would be better played by adding a Mizuno low bounce 60 in addition, for 5 wedges.  I'll drop my utility 4 for that.    Or, I've added a Cleveland chipper, again dropping the 4.

I've noticed it's not just which course I play, but also time of year.  Early spring/ late fall, things are hard and fast, I may change up the lower end for that as well. 

I’m ostensibly not planning to swap wedges in and out of the bag, but I could, I can, and I do (usually when carrying 12 or fewer, a wedge and/or a mid iron is what gets dropped). Even when they’re all in the same bag, I often let turf conditions dictate which one I use around the green, which is why I think I’d want two different bounce/grind options in the lofted ‘lob’ wedges, if going to this setup. Seasons definitely make a difference (no reason to use a LBLW in the Northern Springtime), but heck, different turf conditions at different courses in the same area during the season is definitely a thing. A muni’s “firm and fast” isn’t the same as some private club’s “firm and fast.”

• Like 2

@Poor Mans Ty Webb Thank you for the page!  Here's my first question (and apologies if you already answered it):

I'm assuming you are looking at something along the lines of 46-50-54-58-62, correct?  If so, what are the basic percentage breakdowns of the "jobs" (full swing, partial swing, pitch shots, bunker shots) that you will ask each of them to do?  For instance, my 52° does approximately the following: 50% full shots, 39% partial shots, 10% pitch shots, & 1% bunker shots (lol).  Once I've tracked a decent number of rounds and I know these basic numbers, I can start to determine which characteristics I want each wedge to have.  In this case, my 52° (and my 48°) both are setup with the same shaft as my irons and a grind that is most forgiving for full & partial shots (think "S" grind, basically).  These basic % numbers are going to be determined the course conditions you most often play, how long you are relative to your normal set of tees played, your delivery of the club into the ball (how much shaft lean you typically have), and a few other factors.  

Can you give us the basic %'s of usage for your wedges, including your intent for your 60°+? 

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

Can you give us the basic %'s of usage for your wedges, including your intent for your 60°+? 

Heck yes.  Currently:

46 (X7 7 iron shaft):  Probably 85-90% full shots.  10-15% partials.  Maybe 1% around the green.  This is my set PW.  It's a 10 iron, basically.

50 (X7 8 iron shaft):  Full shots, maybe 50-60%.  Partial shots (3/4, 1/2 swings), probably 30-35%.  Bunker and green side play is less than 10, maybe less than 5%.

54 (S400 shaft): Full shots, maybe 10-15%, partials, probably 40-50%, green side & bunkers, probably 35-40%.  This wedge also gets the call much more than the other two.

58 (S400 shaft):  Full shots, maybe 5%.  Partials, maybe 25-30% (never more than 1/2 swings, though).  Bunker and green side play is 60-70%.  Most, if not all usage is inside 50 yards.

So in the new set, the benefit (that I see) in going to 5 wedges is adding a different 58 that can better compliment the 54, and get more run than my current 58.  I'd like the new 58 to be used maybe 15% for full shots, 40-50% for partials (3/4 and 1/2 swings), and 35-40% for green side and bunkers.  Bounce would be similar between the 54 and 58, but hoping for a bit more relief with the 58 to give it some versatility that the 54 does not have around the greens.  Most green side decisions would still likely come down to 54 vs. 58, unless the turf/sand is really firm, then the 62 enters the equation.

The 62 would simply replace what the current 58 is doing, and would probably be used less, overall, than the new 58.  The LBLW usually sees most of its work inside 50 yards, under firm conditions.  Hardpan bunkers, tight fairway pitches, touch flop shots, that sort of thing.  Really, what I want is a more versatile 58, but I also don't want to lose a LBLW for the times when it's effective.

46, 50, and 54 don't really change at all.

I think what I want is my 50 and 54 to be closer to full soled, with Tiger-stepped X100 shafts (I play X100s normally, tried the spinner with the X7 in the 50, and found I didn't agree with the stiffness feel on partial swings).  The 58 and 62 would have S400s, with the 58 retaining higher relative bounce (but with some heel/sole relief) and then the 62 as the LBLW.  In Vokey terms, basically an S grind in the 50 and 54, a D/V grind in the 58, and an M/L grind in the 62.  Again, as I play 13 clubs currently, I'm not kicking anything else out to add a 5th wedge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Heck yes.  Currently:

46 (X7 7 iron shaft):  Probably 85-90% full shots.  10-15% partials.  Maybe 1% around the green.  This is my set PW.  It's a 10 iron, basically.

50 (X7 8 iron shaft):  Full shots, maybe 50-60%.  Partial shots (3/4, 1/2 swings), probably 30-35%.  Bunker and green side play is less than 10, maybe less than 5%.

54 (S400 shaft): Full shots, maybe 10-15%, partials, probably 40-50%, green side & bunkers, probably 35-40%.  This wedge also gets the call much more than the other two.

58 (S400 shaft):  Full shots, maybe 5%.  Partials, maybe 25-30% (never more than 1/2 swings, though).  Bunker and green side play is 60-70%.  Most, if not all usage is inside 50 yards.

So in the new set, the benefit (that I see) in going to 5 wedges is adding a different 58 that can better compliment the 54, and get more run than my current 58.  I'd like the new 58 to be used maybe 15% for full shots, 40-50% for partials (3/4 and 1/2 swings), and 35-40% for green side and bunkers.  Bounce would be similar between the 54 and 58, but hoping for a bit more relief with the 58 to give it some versatility that the 54 does not have around the greens.  Most green side decisions would still likely come down to 54 vs. 58, unless the turf/sand is really firm, then the 62 enters the equation.

The 62 would simply replace what the current 58 is doing, and would probably be used less, overall, than the new 58.  The LBLW usually sees most of its work inside 50 yards, under firm conditions.  Hardpan bunkers, tight fairway pitches, touch flop shots, that sort of thing.  Really, what I want is a more versatile 58, but I also don't want to lose a LBLW for the times when it's effective.

46, 50, and 54 don't really change at all.

I think what I want is my 50 and 54 to be closer to full soled, with Tiger-stepped X100 shafts (I play X100s normally, tried the spinner with the X7 in the 50, and found I didn't agree with the stiffness feel on partial swings).  The 58 and 62 would have S400s, with the 58 retaining higher relative bounce (but with some heel/sole relief) and then the 62 as the LBLW.  In Vokey terms, basically an S grind in the 50 and 54, a D/V grind in the 58, and an M/L grind in the 62.  Again, as I play 13 clubs currently, I'm not kicking anything else out to add a 5th wedge.

Beautifully done, thank you!  You are 95% of the way to your destination.  Last question(s) then: The VAST majority of the players on tour use their highest lofted wedge as their primary greenside bunker club.  Are you more comfortable opening a club (or lowering the handle if that is how you alter loft for your short game shots) for bunker shots, or opening a club up/lowering the handle for tight lies/hardpan pitch shots?  Basically, do you want to setup your highest lofted wedge as your "sand wedge" and your 58° as your "pitching wedge" or vice versa?  There isn't a right or wrong answer, it's just a matter of what is most comfortable to you and most effective given the normal conditions that you play.  

Also, if your does get a ton of work around the green, I might consider a s400 in it, but at that point we really are picking nits.

• Thanks 1

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

There isn't a right or wrong answer, it's just a matter of what is most comfortable to you and most effective given the normal conditions that you play. 

Great question.  I'm comfortable enough with playing an open face out of both bunkers and off of firm turf.  My green side bunker play could always be better, but I usually don't struggle with confidence in getting out, and I'm not afraid to play different shots, so I don't feel like I need an "automatic" or high lofted bunker club.  My current set up has the 54 as my typical sand club and the 58 as more of a pitching club.

I think that would probably carry into the new set, where I'm likely to use the 58 out of a green side bunker more often assuming the bunker conditions are decent, and reserve the 62 for truly firm surfaces.  If I'm taking a 62 out of a bunker, I'm probably not planning on taking the club square or taking much sand, if any at all, probably because there isn't much sand to begin with.  I also feel like I'd want a bit more stability with the 58 because I'm more likely to take square-faced full and partial swings with the 58 versus the 62.

I think I ended up inverting your question - I want to be able to open both of them up, but in terms of which I'd want to be more comfortable with hitting square, that's the 58, all day.  I'd rather hit an open 62 than a square 62, and I'd want a 58 that I can do both with, (in average-to-softer conditions, which are probably more typical), ideally, in my Appalachian clay soil.

Thanks again for the questions and feedback.  Would just like to add, these questions are awesome for just about anyone, regardless of how many wedges you're thinking about using!!!

• Like 1

I’m still running 44-49-54-59-64 … 140-127-111-96-80 are the current yardages 

i hit so many wedges that carrying another longer club makes zero sense

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 11/15/2023 at 1:12 PM, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Rather than starting a new thread, I’m hoping to revive this one to get insight from 5 wedge players, specifically those who run a 5th past 60* (basically, two lob wedges).

In my quest to push down into mid single digits, I simply need to start hitting more greens and more consistently close from 100 and in (and putting better!). I play a 13 club bag with Dr, 5w, 4i at the top and can comfortably get my way around courses under 6800, so I’m not missing anything there. I play quite often at closer to 6-6400 yards (with my playing partners), and my average approach distance in these rounds is very frequently less than a full 50* wedge, with several approaches around or inside 50-100 yards per round. I have 4 wedges, currently - 46, 50, 54, 58, and I’m thinking about adding a 62.

My current confidence with the 58 is dicey beyond maybe 50-60 yards, although I do use it fairly confidently inside 50 yards, depending on the situation. I’m in decent shape taking 3/4 swings with my higher bounce, fuller soled 50 and 54, which I play out to around 90-105 at 3/4 swings. But 60-90 is a messy zone, and 3/4 swings with a lower bounce lob wedge demand a level of precision (on soft to medium turf) that I can only deliver on inconsistently. I’m also working on adding a sort of 2/3 swing, but it needs refining this winter.

I’m interested in replacing my current 58 with a lower bounce/more relief 62. I’d use this in all current applications that I use my 58 - firm bunkers, tight lies, and high lobs inside 50 yards - narrow usage, but certainly not a one trick pony. This would free me up to play a relatively higher bounce/fuller soled 58, which I feel like would give me more margin for error on swings between 1/2 and 3/4 speed. In theory, I could always continue to practice the 2/3 to 3/4 swing with the 62, as well, and maybe have that shot more comfortably in the arsenal down the road. I’m very intrigued by developing the option to play different trajectories in at similar yardages, and feel like another tool at the bottom gives me more options. 

One of the conventional wisdoms is a higher bounce SW and a lower bounce LW, but when you add a 5th (beyond 60*), what does that do for the bounce/grind makeup of your two wedges beyond 58*? Do you play two lower bounce wedges? One high, one low? Any masochists that play two low bounce lob wedges?? And how frequently are you making longer (60+yard) pitches with both of these lob wedges?

I don’t really think I’d be much worse with a similar 62 vs. my current 58, but I feel like I could be much stronger with a 58 that’s more like my current 54. I just don’t want to totally give up a low bounce/high relief option…I’m thinking about something like a 50S, 54S, 58D or V, and 62M or L. 

Sort of paging @Dan Drake (looks like I’m out on the ‘Bag is Set’ Challenge), but all insights would be appreciated. 

I currently play 4 wedges: 47, 52, 58, 62.  The 58 is high bounce (Vokey D) and the 62 is low bounce (Vokey 60T bent to 62).  The higher bounce in the 58 really makes it versatile and forgiving, both around the green and for full shots from fairway or rough.  The low bounce 62 is a bit of a one trick pony, but when conditions are firm, it's a really good trick. Courses are soft now, so I'm thinking of taking it out of the bag for the winter since I'm not using it much. 

• Thanks 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I know a 6-foot-5 former college basketball player who carries five wedges.

He hits his PW about 150 yards, and needs the four shorter ones so he has options from the 90- to 140-yard range.

He has 3i - 5i gap at long end so he more options close-in.

Edited by ChipNRun
sp.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I currently have:

PW (46)
GW (50)
SW (54)
LW (58)

I just ordered the new T150's 5-PW, and since the PW is 44°, I'll likely need a new GW or bend my current one stronger.  I'm guessing 48 degrees will be needed to gap properly.  From there I may bend my SW to 53 so that my new setup may be:

PW (44)
GW (48)
SW (53)
LW (58)

It looks like other comparable players irons like the Mizuno 243 will be increasing their lofts in the PW (46 to 44) and 9 iron (41 to 40) as well, so could be a trend for others to follow.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Great question.  I'm comfortable enough with playing an open face out of both bunkers and off of firm turf.  My green side bunker play could always be better, but I usually don't struggle with confidence in getting out, and I'm not afraid to play different shots, so I don't feel like I need an "automatic" or high lofted bunker club.  My current set up has the 54 as my typical sand club and the 58 as more of a pitching club.

I think that would probably carry into the new set, where I'm likely to use the 58 out of a green side bunker more often assuming the bunker conditions are decent, and reserve the 62 for truly firm surfaces.  If I'm taking a 62 out of a bunker, I'm probably not planning on taking the club square or taking much sand, if any at all, probably because there isn't much sand to begin with.  I also feel like I'd want a bit more stability with the 58 because I'm more likely to take square-faced full and partial swings with the 58 versus the 62.

I think I ended up inverting your question - I want to be able to open both of them up, but in terms of which I'd want to be more comfortable with hitting square, that's the 58, all day.  I'd rather hit an open 62 than a square 62, and I'd want a 58 that I can do both with, (in average-to-softer conditions, which are probably more typical), ideally, in my Appalachian clay soil.

Thanks again for the questions and feedback.  Would just like to add, these questions are awesome for just about anyone, regardless of how many wedges you're thinking about using!!!

This is perfect and thank you for sharing.  I've found that these questions allow the (honest & informed) golfer to get to the solution themselves, which of course increases commitment and comfort, two things we need a ton of in the game of golf!  I guess it is sort of the Socratic method of bag setup.  

And thank you for the kind words.  Maybe one day I should write down the whole "flow" of questions in a decision tree of sorts to give folks a chance to speed up their journey towards the "right" set of sticks.  

And FWIW, I'm neck deep in the 5 wedge decision making process right now, especially with a new set of irons on the way from Callaway early next year!

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG