Bandon Dunes - Pick Your Composite Course

jackbauer

UPDATED TO INCLUDE SHEEP RANCH

I wish I were playing right now but it's raining. For Bandon aficionados, if you could teleport from course to course, which holes would you pick? My only rules for myself were (1) par of 71 or 72 (like each of the four courses) and (2) at least one hole from each course.

1. Sheep Ranch (5)
  2. Trails (3)
  3. Trails (5)
  4. Bandon (4)
  5. Bandon (4)
  6. Sheep Ranch (4)
  7. Sheep Ranch (3)
  8. Trails (4)
  9. Sheep Ranch (4)
  10. Pacific (3)
  11. Trails (4)
  12. Pacific (5)
  13. Pacific (4)
  14. Old Mac (4)
  15. Bandon (3)
  16. Bandon (4)
  17. Old Mac (5)
  18. Old Mac (4)

10 of the holes were easy choices (1, 3-6, 9-11, 13, and 16). Holes that are in my overall top 18 but excluded above include 3 at Bandon, 4 at Pacific, 11 at Pacific, 16 at Old Mac, 16 at Sheep Ranch, and 17 at Sheep Ranch.

Edited by jackbauer
  • Like 1

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

I made a list like this a few years ago, although I didn't set the overall par requirement, just went with my favorite holes.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1266572-hole-by-hole-bandon-favorite/

My selections change as on my original I didn't have any par 5's.

1: Bandon Trails (4) (Pacific a close second)

2: Pacific Dunes (4)

3: Bandon Trails (5) -Was Old Mac, but had to get a par 5

4: Bandon Dunes (4) (Pacific a close second)

5: Bandon Dunes (4) (Trails close behind)

6: Bandon Dunes (3)

7: Old Mac (4)

8: Bandon Trails (4)

9: Bandon Trails (5)-I prefer Pacific #9, but needed another par 5.

10: Pacific Dunes (3)

11: Pacific Dunes (3)

12: Bandon Dunes (3)

13: Pacific Dunes (4)

14: Bandon Trails (4)

15: Old Mac (5) -I originally had Bandon Trails but had to up the par.

16: Bandon Dunes (4)

17: Bandon Dunes (4)- Changed from Pacific Dunes to up the total par.

18: Pacific Dunes(5)- Again had to up the par. I slightly prefer Trails.

Agree with most of what has already been written.

As it is tough to take the courses in hole order, identify the greatest hits, and come in close to par, let's try another take:

Top 4 Par 3s

Bandon #12

Bandon #15

Pacific #11

Trails #17

Top 4 Par 5s

Pacific #18

Trails #3

Trails #9

OM #15

Top 10 Par 4s

Bandon #4

Bandon #5

Bandon #16

Pacific #4

Trails #1

TrailsTrails #17 #4 (or#15)

Trails #8

Trails #11

Trails #13

OM #3

I must admit, It was difficult to come up with four par 5s as most of the ones not listed are not that memorable (to me).

However, the cup runneth over on par 4s and par 3s (especially if you want to include the great holes from the Preserve (#3,4,5,9))

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

Fun topic for a winter day. Here's my list:

1) OM (4) - I've always felt #1 at Pacific and Trails are awkward and I never know what to hit off the tee. I like the wide open nature of #1 at OM and the fronting bunker is an interesting challenge.

2) Pacific (4) - This is a great tee shot no matter what the wind is. Try to fly the traps with a favorable wind or try to

3) OM (4) - This might be favorite tee shot on the property. The green is massive and I like to watch the ball roll after it lands from the higher vantage point in the fairway.

4) BD (4) - No brainer for me. #4 at Pacific is a great hole, but I like this one better

5) OM (3) - I like the green here a lot. There are so many pin positions and it is so easy to leave yourself in a spot where a 2 putt is impossible

6) Pacific (4) - I always hit driver here and it is always a tough a wedge in to the green. A good example of a short hole that is not always a birdie opportunity

7) Trails (4) - I had trouble deciding this one. I don't love any of the 7th holes. OM #7 is popular but I find it to be a bit one dimensional. Lay up to the right, try to hold a shallow green. Beautiful hole, but I don't love it.

8) Trails (4) - Another birdie hole that looks very tempting, but not as easy it looks.

9) Pacific (4) - I love the blind tee shot and both greens are interesting/challenging. If pressed, I prefer the lower, but would take this hole with either green.

10) Pacific (3) - From either tee, hitting into the ocean is great. The green has always seemed a bit basic for a Doak course, but maybe that is because the wind can be so tough.

11) Trails (4) - Probably by favorite approach shot at Trails. If you've hit a good tee shot, it's a fun challenge from the top of the hill with water to the right.

12) Pacific (5) - The rumpled fairway as always looks like Scotland to me. The fact that the ball is rolling so much on this hole has always made it interesting to me.

13) Pacific (4) - I've always like the look of #13 at Pacific more than #4, but I don't really know why. Probably because I usually play a cut.

14) Trails (4) - This hole terrifies me because the driver is in the air for so long, but I always go for it.

15) BD (3) - The fronting bunker is probably too deep for a resort, but it certainly succeeds in scaring people to the left.

16) BD (4) - The best hole on the property in my view. Still a hard decision because I love #16 at Trails and OM.

17) BD (4) - I never have the guts to hit the tee shot anywhere but left. The fall off all the way down the right side has a great look as well and seeing the Preserve is a bonus.

18) OM (4) - The punchbowl greens are always fun to me. I rarely see it have an impact on a shot, but I still like how they look.

Apparently I like the par 4s. I believe that comes out to a par 70, with only one par 5. I would have liked to add #16 at Trails, but I think BD is hard to beat on that number.

I did this with Edaw three trips prior, so I'm reposting my rankings from 2015 with changes noted.

1) Trails - I love the seaside grassy nature and relative friendliness of the tee shot, so this one stays

2) Pacific - This one stays put as well, if i can survive the first two holes at pacific (nerves/excitement), I feel good about myself. This hole take two precise shots IMO.

3) Old Mac - Same #ghosttree

4) Bandon (Pacific close) - Same, approach to 4 green is always climactic.

5) Bandon - I'm putting OM (sorry Trails) in this spot. A short super fun par-3 after a beast of a par-4 makes this hole especially good.

6) Bandon (Pacific close) - Swap these two, as pretty at Bandons 6th is, the approach on Pacific is exciting and satisfying if you pull it off

7) Old Mac - Same, awesome approach and rewarding views

8) Old Mac - Same, trying to gauge the yardage and release is a real challenge, not to mention putting from the wrong tier

9) Pacific - Now Trails, the risk reward on the approach is awesome, and the "blind" tee shot on Pacific has been too much of a sense of frustration over the years.

10) Pacific - Now OM, the approach to this crazy green is super fun, if not infuriating..........

11) Pacific - Duh, same.

12) Bandon - Same, but OM is creeping up the better I get to know it.

13) Pacific (Old Mac close) - Same

14) Old Mac (Trails close) - Now Pacific, hitting that green is easier than it looks, but that's not much help! The other two are still great. Add in 14 at Bandon, and maybe 14th is the best foursome? A new thread perhaps?

15) Bandon (Trails and OM close) - Same, okay, maybe the 15th across all four is the best?

16) Bandon - Same, no comparison

17) Bandon - Dunno what I was thinking, Pacific, and Trails are better. Put Pacific in the number 1 spot. But OM is still dead last, I hate that tee shot with a passion (someone tell me how to play it!!)

18) Trails - Such a nice way to finish, the approach with a beer on the patio in mind. Though maybe Pacific with the match on the line.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

14) Old Mac (Trails close) - Now Pacific, hitting that green is easier than it looks, but that's not much help! The other two are still great. Add in 14 at Bandon, and maybe 14th is the best foursome? A new thread perhaps?

Haha, 14 is DFL in my personal ranking. I knew immediately 3, 4, and 11 would be heavy hitters but 15 snuck up on me after thinking about it for a few minutes. I'd lean 3 and 15 because of the par 5s and ultimately 3 between those two.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

Did this recently with a few others in the Bandon 4 in the Top 100. I'm just copy/pasting it straight in here to avoid changing choices:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Bandon "Best" Composite 18 (Bolds are locks)

304 1: Old Mac - Par 4

162 2: Old Mac - Par 3

476 3: Pacific - Par 5

449 4: Pacific - Par 4

400 5: Bandon - Par 4

153 6: Bandon - Par 3

406 7: Trails - Par 4

299 8: Trails - Par 4

522 9: Trails - Par 5

339 10: Bandon - Par 4

429 11: Trails - Par 4

153 12: Bandon - Par 3

390 13: Pacific - Par 4

332 14: Bandon - Par 4

367 15: Trails - Par 4

345 16: Bandon - Par 4

375 17: Bandon - Par 4

426 18: Old Mac - Par 4

6327 YDS (Green tees) Par 71

If only I put this much thought into my work! And this is based off winter play, so if I'd played my 50+ rounds in the summer it might be different.

Collectively I could take #4 & #7 and have 8 of my holes right there. The collective 7s are sooooo good.

Conversely, #3 and #14 I could take 7 of those 8 and have trouble finding a spot for them on my local $25 muni... OK that's a bit of an exaggeration.

And yes I like Par 4s.

EDIT: This is from Nov-Feb play. I do wonder if playing in the summer would change my opinion on some. I am assuming yes. For instance I see a bunch of folks picking OM-3, but while walking to the top of the hill is one of my fave moments, the hole itself is always the same and not that interesting for me. End up in the collection area short of the bunker, 54* or PW pitch and run. I would say 4/5 times that happens.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Haha, 14 is DFL in my personal ranking. I knew immediately 3, 4, and 11 would be heavy hitters but 15 snuck up on me after thinking about it for a few minutes. I'd lean 3 and 15 because of the par 5s and ultimately 3 between those two.

I missed this earlier - funnily enough I'd have your fave and least fave as my two least favorite. Just goes to show how different people can see individual pieces of something we agree are collectively awesome.

As a group I find most of the par 5s at the resort the mehiest part of the courses. Shows the conventional wisdom of how difficult it is to have really compelling par 5s. Heck I could take 3 at Old Mac and 9 on Pac and have a no par 5, par 69, that's be just as much fun to play and challenging as what I selected.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

5 at Bandon used to be a lock. But after having my *ss handed to me round after round, year after year, having yet to make a single par, my ego has gotten the best of me.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

I think the group of #3 holes on all four courses (and even including the Preserve) is my choice for best foursome.

Depending on which course I'm playing, that one is my fave #3

Wow! Better than the #4s?

I'll stipulate to 3rd on Old Mac, but how the heck do you prefer the 3rd on Bandon or Pacific to their 4ths?

F.T.

I think the group of #3 holes on all four courses (and even including the Preserve) is my choice for best foursome.

I'll stipulate to 3rd on Old Mac, but how the heck do you prefer the 3rd on Bandon or Pacific to their 4ths?

Yeah, gotta go with the #4 holes. OM 4 is kinda mediocre, but the other three are all amazing.

I’m kinda torn for #16s as well. Bandon 16 is among the best in the world, Pacific is cool, OM is cool. Trails is the tough one.

Oh, I don't, for those two. I've been on record many times as stating that BD #4 is may favorite place/hole on the entire property, and PD #4 is not too far behind. But I have intensely ambivalent feelings about #4's on OM and Trails. Conversely, I really like the #3's on all four courses, so it's a whole-is-greater-than-the-sum thing.

YMMV

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Oh, I don't, for those two. I've been on record many times as stating that BD #4 is may favorite place/hole on the entire property, and PD #4 is not too far behind. But I have intensely ambivalent feelings about #4's on OM and Trails. Conversely, I really like the #3's on all four courses, so it's a whole-is-greater-than-the-sum thing.

YMMV

That's fair enough. I can take or leave OM-4, but Trails-4 is the first of the excellent mid length 4s IMHO, and as you say Bandon/Pac-4s speak for themselves :)

F.T.

YMMV

That's fair enough. I can take or leave OM-4, but Trails-4 is the first of the excellent mid length 4s IMHO, and as you say Bandon/Pac-4s speak for themselves :)

Gotta go with Duffer here, I love Trails 4th, how they effectively made a classic cape hole using the ridge instead of a water hazard.

Sorry Spud. This might be our first Bandon disagreement.

The good news is that we are all right... :)

It's been said a million times, but this is why Bandon is the best golf resort in the world. The fact that all four courses are amazing and so close in quality makes almost any opinion a good one. My favorite course there is BD, but if you told me your favorite was any of the others, I can see why a person would have that opinion. When someone tells me the Castle course is as good as the Old or they like Spyglass more than Pebble, I physically can't comprehend it. That's OK, anyone can think what they want. But any time I'm told an opinion on Bandon, I can always imagine why someone would have that perspective. It's a special place.

The good news is that we are all right... :)

It's been said a million times, but this is why Bandon is the best golf resort in the world. The fact that all four courses are amazing and so close in quality makes almost any opinion a good one. My favorite course there is BD, but if you told me your favorite was any of the others, I can see why a person would have that opinion. When someone tells me the Castle course is as good as the Old or they like Spyglass more than Pebble, I physically can't comprehend it. That's OK, anyone can think what they want. But any time I'm told an opinion on Bandon, I can always imagine why someone would have that perspective. It's a special place.

LOL! Ah man that is too funny - I would have used those two exact same examples.

Of course that means the new 5th course will need to be up to snuff, not that anyone doubts it won't be, and then there's be another 18 options for the composite course.

F.T.

Speaking of the 5th course, i wonder how they'll handle reservations before it's opened. They're taking reservations through all of 2020 already. When I reserved April 2020 I didn't bother to ask since it's not rumored to open until late 2020.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

It's amazing going back and trying to complete this exercise how much I remember from the trip I took in summer of 2014! I still remember most holes aside from the stretch from 10-13 on Old Mac (which we played in a July afternoon that was probably the windiest round of golf I've ever played). Here's my list. I went comparing the four 1st holes, 2nd holes, etc to each other and then did my favorite 5s, 4s, 3s as well for two lists:

Restricting to actual hole #s:

1. Trails. I like how the dunes frame the hole nicely. All four courses seem to start off with a relatively benign par 4.

2. Trails. Pacific would've been 2nd here but I really like this shot downhill through the dunes.

3. Old Mac. This was probably my least favorite of the four courses, but this shot was so fun. I think I drove the green on this one... and 3-putted for par.

4. Pacific. Eeked out bandon 4 just because it's so epic. Bandon 4 is amazing too.

5. Bandon Dunes. Really picturesque hole and very hard into the summer wind. I remember hitting hybrid into this hole.

6. Bandon Dunes. Love me the ocean.

7. Trails. This is the start of one of my favorite stretches in golf. Love how the trees start to frame the holes and the serenity here.

8. Old Mac: fun shot down to the biarritz green after getting way up on the hill towards the ocean on 7.

9. Trails. Similar reason to #7: felt so serene and quiet back here. Pacific would've been 2nd for me here.

10. Pacific. We played from the lower tee. An awesome hole towards the ocean.

11. Trails. Such a cool tee shot. Love how the hole turns towards the pond.

12. Bandon Dunes. Great tee shot towards the ocean. The bunker really changes this hole.

13. Pacific. It's just epic.

14. Bandon Dunes. This one was kinda tricky as I don't think I loved any of them. I don't hate Trails 14 as much as a lot of people, though.

15. Bandon Dunes. Another fun par 3 towards the ocean. Not sure how they've changed this since I played it.

16. Bandon Dunes. Don't think I've played any other hole like this. It's unique.

17. Pacific Dunes. Great par 3. Love how the gorse on the hill behind frames the green.

18. Old Mac. Gave this one to Old Mac but I wouldn't say I love any of the 18's.

I guess the par 3's and 4's stick out to me more. There's lots of great par 5's, though. Interesting what wins heads-up for me.

By Par:

3's:

Bandon 12

Pacific 10

Pacific 17

Trails 17

4s:

Bandon 4

Bandon 5

Bandon 16

Pacific 4

Pacific 9

Pacific 13

Trails 7

Trails 11

Old Mac 3

Old Mac 16

5's:

Pacific 18

Trails 3

Trails 9

Old Mac 15

So many good holes at Bandon, and still so memorable is really what I took away from this.

• 2 years later...

This is the most recent composite 18 thread i found in search. Sorry to revive such an older thread. I also noticed the lists above were before SR opened up, thought it would be interesting to see if any of your opinions have changed since SR opened. 

I just completed my first trip to Bandon a few weeks ago (what an amazing, special place!). A buddy of mine challenged me to come up with a dream 18 from bandon courses and this is what i came up with.

1. SR
  2. BD
  3. OM
  4. BD/PD
  5. BD/BT
  6. SR/OM
  7. OM/SR
  8. OM
  9. SR/PD
  10. OM/BD
  11. SR/OD
  12. OM/BD
  13. OM/PD
  14. BD/OM
  15. BD/OM
  16. OM/BD/SR
  17. BT
  18. BT/SR/OM

So many good holes. I lean towards the first one if split. But like the the second also. Hard to decide!! I also havent calculated to see what the par on this course would be. 

1. SR - Par 5

2. Pac - Par 4

3. OM - Par 4

4. BD - Par 4

5. BD - Par 4

6. BD - Par 3

7. OM - Par 4

8. OM - Par 3

9. BT - Par 5

10. Pac - Par 3

11. BT - Par 4

12. BD - Par 3

13. Pac - Par 4

14.  OM - Par 4

15. SR - Par 4

16. BD - Par 4

17. BD - Par 4

18. Pac - Par 5

Fun exercise, made me realize I love them all.  Only hole I struggled with was #8, no clear standout for me, picked a par 3 to make the routing even.

2 hours ago, R4haehl said:

The Fried Egg Podcast did an episode on this that I thought was a great listen. I have tried to do this in the past but just can't decide on a single hole for many of the options!

https://thefriedegg.com/fried-egg-podcast/dream-18-bandon-dunes/

Yeah, also my issue as you can see, above. 

#16 is the hardest choice for me. 

• Like 1

Here is mine:

1. Sheep Ranch (5) - Bandon, Pacific and Trails all have pretty weak opening holes. OM would second, but the view coming down to this out of the gate is an awesome intro to Bandon

2. Trails (3) - This one was tough, because when I think through all the second holes, I don't love many of them. OM would be second again

3. Trails (5) - This was down to Trails vs. PD, and it's a close one. However, I think, in a weird way, this hole really changes your perception of what Bandon, collectively, has to offer the first time you play it. Tree lined amazingness

4. Pacific (4) - This is arguably the best hole at the property. Bandon could give it a run, but I always suck on 4 at Bandon, so this wins out 

5. Bandon (4) - Love this hole, and don't think any other 5s compare 

6. Sheep Ranch (4) - This hold epitomizes SR and hard to beat 

7. OM (4) - View from green is awesome, and the halfway house is one of the best spots on the property

8. Trails (4) - Great short par 4

9. Trails (5) - Love it 

10. Pacific (3) - Need some more par 3s and this is a great hole 

11. Trails (4) - This is one of my favorite holes on property. Pacific is a close 2nd

12. Bandon (3) - Great hole

13. Pacific (4) - Challenging, often into the wind, but the infinity left edge is hard to beat 

14. Trails (4) - Don't care what anyone says. This is a fun hole

15. Pacific (5) - This was really hard to pick. Not a fan of any of these

16. Sheep Ranch (3) - Tough call with Bandon, but need another par 3

17. Sheep Ranch (4) - In some respects I think Bandon may be better, but this is a SR signature, and I can't play enough holes on cliff side

18. OM (4) - Somewhat of a battle of attrition. I can't stand Bandon, Trails is meh, SR is a par 4 masquerading as a par 5 and Pacific is just OK. I really like this green and it's fun to funnel the ball into this hole

I'm a bit intrigued when I look at it this way. My take aways:

- OM won out a couple times mainly due to attrition. It's my least favorite course and the holes all blend together for me

- I would have expected more holes from PD, cause it's my favorite course. After looking at this thought, maybe I'm not so sure...

- The beginning and ending of course are generally the weakest. My picks were somewhat out of necessity vs. excitement 

- 15 is the worst hole on the property?

- Surprised by the lack of Bandon holes. I guess they got edged out by others but would have expected more

- Surprised by number of SR. I think it's my fourth favorite course, but I guess its best are strong 

- Most holes were hard to pick highlighting how many good holes there are on the property

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really surprised by reading through this thread that nobody picked #6 on Pacific. Strategically, I think it’s the best hole on the entire property. I know it’s in lofty company, especially competing against 13 at Pac Dunes, but the 13th at Trails is also an excellent hole. It’s just so serene back there. And the best 15th hole in my opinion is on Trails. The bunker placement off the tee makes you think, and I love how the green complex is nestled in there between the dunes. Like many of you had said, this is a tough task, and reason why Bandon is the best golf resort in the world. Can’t wait to get back there in November. 

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7