Is Anyone Else Sick and Tired of Performance Golf Shirts?

> @"Matt J" said:

> Funny how many cultural idiosyncrasies come into play when this topic comes up.... how much do you sweat? Does it bother you for your shirt to visibly be wet? Do you stink? Do you change immediately into another shirt?

>

> When I got "back" into golf a few years ago I bought a bunch of performance poly shirts. I've come to believe that is an oxymoron. But, I'm probably biased as I worked in the outdoor adventure industry for most of my adult life and we all wear poly products in case the temperature drops and you get wet. I simply can't stand the smell of it anymore. Freeze it, boil it, soak it in vinegar, blah blah blah, I just quit wearing it.

>

> Bonus of cotton is when it holds water against your skin and the wind blows it's pure ecstasy.

Completely agree. I only wear wicking synthetics if I absolutely have to (Mountaineering at high altitude is an example, cycling but/down passes) because of the ability to not absorb moisture. I have noticed some of my friends are starting to realize this as well. I live in a dry climate at altitude and breathable cotton is definitely preferable for me. Wool is even better, but can be a little costly.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

> @BiggErn said:

> > @StackMan1 said:

> > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

>

> Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> @StackMan1 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> >

> > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

>

> Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

>

>

I’m sure

> @BiggErn said:

> > @StackMan1 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> > >

> > > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

> >

> > Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> >

> >

>

> I’m sure

Yes, I am VERY sure. Come to SC in August and sleep in a house with no air conditioning and you too will be sure!!

> @StackMan1 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> > > >

> > > > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

> > >

> > > Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I’m sure

>

> Yes, I am VERY sure. Come to SC in August and sleep in a house with no air conditioning and you too will be sure!!

Been there done that. Also played golf in SC for over 20 years and ruined many polos after wearing them 1 time before the new materials took over.

• Like 1

> @BiggErn said:

> > @StackMan1 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

> > > >

> > > > Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I’m sure

> >

> > Yes, I am VERY sure. Come to SC in August and sleep in a house with no air conditioning and you too will be sure!!

>

> Been there done that. Also played golf in SC for over 20 years and ruined many polos after wearing them 1 time before the new materials took over.

Shirts ruined after one round? Glad performance fabric works for you.

> @StackMan1 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

> > > > >

> > > > > Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I’m sure

> > >

> > > Yes, I am VERY sure. Come to SC in August and sleep in a house with no air conditioning and you too will be sure!!

> >

> > Been there done that. Also played golf in SC for over 20 years and ruined many polos after wearing them 1 time before the new materials took over.

>

> Shirts ruined after one round? Glad performance fabric works for you.

Yep. Sweat stains on a collar would ruin it after one use. That as well as not enjoying being excessively wet for 4 hours.

• Like 1

> @BiggErn said:

> > @StackMan1 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > > > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m sure

> > > >

> > > > Yes, I am VERY sure. Come to SC in August and sleep in a house with no air conditioning and you too will be sure!!

> > >

> > > Been there done that. Also played golf in SC for over 20 years and ruined many polos after wearing them 1 time before the new materials took over.

> >

> > Shirts ruined after one round? Glad performance fabric works for you.

>

> Yep. Sweat stains on a collar would ruin it after one use. That as well as not enjoying being excessively wet for 4 hours.

OK, serious question and I’m not trying to be a smart***. If you sweat that much, do you have performance fabric pants/shorts?

All you folks disagreeing need to realize that there are vastly different climates and bodies out here. I have never been been one to produce heavy amounts of sweat. I used to play competitive tennis in humid midwestern summers and not once did I ever soak a shirt. The most I'd ever have is relatively small dark wet spots. Most of my teammates would be changing multiple shirts that you could literally wring out on to the courts. I also used to race bikes and I've never liked the feel of tech cycling jerseys. For my casual and training rides where I wasn't required to wear my race jerseys, I was almost always wearing cotton t-shirts.

Now that I live in dry, arid Colorado and golf is a much less strenuous sport than tennis, cotton is perfectly fine for me, too. It just feels better against my skin. My golf shirts are probably split 50/50 between cotton and tech, and while I'm not strongly "anti-tech" I often reach for my cotton shirts. I will say that the tech shirts move and stretch more easily with the swing, which is a nice trait in their favor.

> @StackMan1 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > > > > > > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Do you keep your bedroom at 90 degrees and 85% humidity?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Wouldn’t matter if I did. Cotton would still be more comfortable. We didn’t have AC in our house when I was a kid, so I know what sleeping in 90 degrees and 85% humidity feels like.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’m sure

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes, I am VERY sure. Come to SC in August and sleep in a house with no air conditioning and you too will be sure!!

> > > >

> > > > Been there done that. Also played golf in SC for over 20 years and ruined many polos after wearing them 1 time before the new materials took over.

> > >

> > > Shirts ruined after one round? Glad performance fabric works for you.

> >

> > Yep. Sweat stains on a collar would ruin it after one use. That as well as not enjoying being excessively wet for 4 hours.

>

> OK, serious question and I’m not trying to be a smart***. If you sweat that much, do you have performance fabric pants/shorts?

When it’s 90 degrees outside and 90% humidity pretty much everyone sweats that much. If not seek medical attention. But to answer your question yes. With the exception of in the winter everything I wear is pretty much moisture wicking. I don’t wear cotton boxer briefs anymore as the performance stuff is miles better. I avoid 100% cotton T shirts nowadays.

> @dubbelbogey said:

> All you folks disagreeing need to realize that there are vastly different climates and bodies out here. I have never been been one to produce heavy amounts of sweat. I used to play competitive tennis in humid midwestern summers and not once did I ever soak a shirt. The most I'd ever have is relatively small dark wet spots. Most of my teammates would be changing multiple shirts that you could literally wring out on to the courts. I also used to race bikes and I've never liked the feel of tech cycling jerseys. For my casual and training rides where I wasn't required to wear my race jerseys, I was almost always wearing cotton t-shirts.

>

> Now that I live in dry, arid Colorado and golf is a much less strenuous sport than tennis, cotton is perfectly fine for me, too. It just feels better against my skin. My golf shirts are probably split 50/50 between cotton and tech, and while I'm not strongly "anti-tech" I often reach for my cotton shirts. I will say that the tech shirts move and stretch more easily with the swing, which is a nice trait in their favor.

>

>

>

>

I agree with you 100%. I don’t sweat profusely and cotton just feels better against my skin. Even though I have tech golf shirts, it feels like I’m wearing a plastic trash bag. I will however give credit where credit is due. I don’t know if Duluth Trading Buck Naked underwear qualifies as performance fabric (it’s more of a mesh), but that is some seriously good stuff right there.

> @StackMan1 said:

> OK, serious question and I’m not trying to be a smart***. If you sweat that much, do you have performance fabric pants/shorts?

I'm not him but I want to answer.

Right now, sitting at my desk at work in an office, I am wearing some under armour boxers, some poly, wicking slacks and an off-brand performance fabric polo shirt I bought in a pro-shop from a private club. No undershirt today as the second button on it comes high enough up to cover my chest fro. Everything with the exception of my socks is some kind of performance fabric. It wasn't a conscious decision to do that this morning it just happened that way. I have gradually shifted my shirts away from pique knit shirts that fade and stretch and the collars do crazy stuff to the under armour type stuff. It doesn't tend to stain, holds its color and doesn't stretch out or shrink.

The best pair of shorts from a comfort standpoint I have are some dockers that supposedly have some coconut fiber woven into them. They have a slick, performance fabric feel to them.

Try you some "Pair of Thieves" boxers from target. Under Armour did have a performance cotton fabric too. It had a more traditional cotton feel to it but has proven to be color fast as well. It does tend to stain easier though from my experience.

> @StackMan1 said:

> If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

There are several brands that use poly for bed sheets. Sheex is the first one that comes to mind. I have a set and they’re unbelievably comfortable. You should give them a try next time you’re in the market for a new set.

> @Llortamaisey said:

> > @StackMan1 said:

> > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

>

> There are several brands that use poly for bed sheets. Sheex is the first one that comes to mind. I have a set and they’re unbelievably comfortable. You should give them a try next time you’re in the market for a new set.

I’ve had sheets containing poly and I find them to be hot and “clingy”. Never tried Sheex, but I’ll take your word for it. For me, nothing sleeps better than a high thread count cotton.

• Like 1

when I lived in the tropics all we could find at first was 50/50 cotton poly sheets. Horrible. I'd sweat an outline of myself each night like a crime scene. If I did get salt stains on a collar which I don't, that would be a "golf only" shirt from then on. I wish more U.S. public courses had decent locker rooms like Scotland. It's nice to settle up bets and hoist a few after showering and freshening clothes.

Looks like I too am in the minority agreeing with the OP. I'm not all the way to full 100% cotton but it has to be a blend for me with no less than 50/50. The 100% polyester shirts are awful for me. I have no idea how y'all can wear them.

I won't buy anything anymore unless it has at least some cotton in it. While the performance fabrics - aka polyester - have some advantages - they don't wrinkle, the can wick moisture, they have give/stretch, etc. BUT they make me sweat, they're scratchy to my skin, and if they don't have stretch they are way more restricting than cotton. I really dislike wearing them. I have a closet full of them I don't wear.

Some shirts that work for me include the [Ping Sensorcool Cotton shirts](https://ping.com/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/polos/karsten-iii "Ping Sensorcool Cotton shirts"). These are basically 50/50 cotton/poly with a bit of stretch in them. Wash 'em and hang 'em up and no wrinkles, I don't sweat as much, pretty comfortable too.

Some of the Travis Matthew shirts are great too. You gotta check each one though since the amount of cotton varies. I have [this one](https://www.travismathew.com/shop/tops/polos/withington-yellow-polo.html "this one") in white, not yellow and the 60/40 cotton mix is the about right for me.

I also like the [uA Charged Cotton](https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/men-s-charged-cotton-scramble-polo/pcid1281003?cid=PS%7cUS%7cBR%7cggl%7call%7cGoogle-US-All-DSA%7call%7call%7call%7cbroad%7cdg%7cTZ74B91L39G58&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImOOBlO7I4QIVQ7bACh0S2g5TEAAYASAAEgKd4PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds "UA Charged Cotton") shirts too. These are basically 60/40 cotton blends.

There are some 100% poly shirts I have that aren't awful but they are exceptionally thin shirts.

• Like 1

Moisture wicking is BS marketing. It just means the plastic bag shirts don’t absorb anything and the sweat runs to your cotton underwear. Or if you are wearing polyester panties it runs to your socks.

To each their own, the polyester looks good but I hate it. I apparently don’t sweat like the rest of you, or carry a water bottle every where I go, that’s another rant. Mercerized cotton for me.

• Like 1

> @StackMan1 said:

> > @Llortamaisey said:

> > > @StackMan1 said:

> > > If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff? Or are the majority of the people on this planet who are in agreement that cotton sheets are cooler and more comfortable, just confused?

> >

> > There are several brands that use poly for bed sheets. Sheex is the first one that comes to mind. I have a set and they’re unbelievably comfortable. You should give them a try next time you’re in the market for a new set.

>

> I’ve had sheets containing poly and I find them to be hot and “clingy”. Never tried Sheex, but I’ll take your word for it. For me, nothing sleeps better than a high thread count cotton.

You literally one page ago said "If performance fabric is so great, why don’t they make bed sheets out of the stuff?", and now claim that you have owned sheets that had performance material. You then go on to state that you have never used the brands recommended for said sheets, but that "nothing" sleeps better than your cotton sheets. If you've never tried something, how can you possibly know that it's inferior to what you know and love. Is it an inability to be objective, or do you generally just really enjoy arguing?

Golf rounds where I'm going to sweat, I have to wear a fake fabric. My preference is cotton blends...a little stretch, but the softness of cotton. Love Linksoul's blends, the PM seaside wash is great, too.

I hate golf clothes that look like workout clothes. SUPER bright colors on shiny fabric...doesn't even look good at the gym.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

I totally get where the op is coming from. I hate the weird feel and smell of a lot of the synthetics and they tend to irritate my skin, but there is really no other choice when it’s 90 plus degrees and humid. Some of the higher end products feel and smell better. It’s a trade off, but cotton is horrible when you are sweating.