2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Best state for golf

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should have been a poll. I have lived in many states and NC definately wins...although I could see Arizona. NC does have hot summers, but only about a month of 95+ degree days and a lot in the lower 90's, which is hot, but very bearable. On the flip side...the winters are really only a month long and we always get a couple of weekends a month in the 50's and 60's even in January, February, and March. I would have to imagine that the summers in Arizona are pretty unbearable.

Cost is the other issue. I currently pay less at a great private course per round then I payed are crappy public courses in NJ, and other states in the northeast. Speaking of the northeast...it should not even be considered in here since the winter season is so long and rough...no golf for months unless you are nuts.

SC is also great for golf with Myrtle, Hilton Head, and the entire cost of the state. Myrtle in SC and Southern Pines/Pinehurst in NC are the best conditioned and designed courses for the public of anywhere in the nation. There truly is not much better to offer in the way of a golf vacation.

To my fellow Utah golf Wesslett. Dude no SL valley course has scenic views. Maybe Bonnie and those mountains. Get out of the valley to Mtn Dell, Park City Muni, Homestead, Soldier Hallow, Wasatch. Also dont sleep on two of my favorite course north of the valley - Valley View and Bountiful Ridge. I think Utah has some great course and when you consider the rates for Utah golf it is even better. Typical round is 30-50 with cart.

Question all depends on how you define best right? Number of public courses, weather, cost.....

After growing up in San Diego then moving to Arizona :rolleyes: I can say from personal experiance that So-Cal has the best golf weather. Arizona is too freakin hot for three months unless your tee time is before 6:00am. But there are allot more places to play here for a decent price.

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

Any state that you can not play for 3 months of the year should be out...if its far too hot or cold...ir should not even be considered. Honestly, that is why I live in NC. The winters are less than a month and the summers are hot, but far from unplayable. It is just a great climate for life year-round.

Cali wins hands down, in my opinion. Northern Cali, that is. SF Bay Area and surrounding region to be even more specific. Variety of terrain and scenery, lots of both public and CC courses, great weather that you can play year round (a little chilly first thing in the morning in winter but warms up nicely). Also, home of 17 mile drive (and all the courses in there - you may have heard of them), San Juan Oaks, Pasatiempo, etc....need I say more? These ones make up the 'surroundign region' I talked about but can reach all of them within 1.5 hrs of San Jose.

I lived there, then NY (yuck, an "off season"? What is THAT?) and now in Houston.

Houston is great that you can play year round but this time of year, holy crow, is it ever hot and humid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So they have better weather in winter than Cali but that is about it.

However, I have to say the ball rolls forever here! Not always a good thing but I NEVER had this kind of roll anywhere before and I have played in 18 different states! Fairways and greens just bake out here. Makes me feel like a long hitter, which is nice for the ego.....I get more distance here than I do in Phoenix and I used to think THAT was long. Granted, in Phoenix, it is more carry and here it is more roll.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

• 6 months later...

I've never played in other states because there are over 100 golf courses within a 15 mile radius in the Palm Springs area where I live.

Most of the courses are in great condition with spectacular views and I can play year round in shorts.

If you include the great tracks in the San Diego, Los Angeles and Bay area I'm confident California is tough to beat.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

I've seen a lot of posts for California, and Southern California. Have been there dozens of times on business but only once to play golf. The concern I have with this area is the cost, which to me is a big part of the equation "best state for golf". For people in Southern California, what are you paying on a weekend in the San Diego and Los Angeles suburbs, for an above-average-quality course?

I would say AZ, but I must emphatically agree with those who say States you can't play year-round in don't count. It gets too hot to be bearable in AZ? Ok, yeah it gets hot, but come on.

OK, let's put it this way. In Michigan, Ontario(where I'm from and we have the same weather), and wherever, once the weather gets cold, you're not playing golf. It has been consistently between 0-10* F since December here. But there was a week where the temparatures almost reached 60* a couple of days. Guess what? We didn't play golf.

In AZ, if it's hot, you're choosing not to play golf. You *can* tee it up if you so choose. I like taking a break as much as anyone, but not because I have no choice to play.

I've seen a lot of posts for California, and Southern California. Have been there dozens of times on business but only once to play golf. The concern I have with this area is the cost, which to me is a big part of the equation "best state for golf". For people in Southern California, what are you paying on a weekend in the San Diego and Los Angeles suburbs, for an above-average-quality course?

You make a valid point and the OP did include cost as a factor. In season (Winter) rates in the Palm Springs area are at least triple the price of summer rates. The "above average" courses in my area are $100+ during the winter time but are well under $50 during the summer. This does limit which tracks I choose to play during the winter but I'm all over them in the summer time.

I'm sure that some states offer more bang for the buck but I would imagine that Florida, New York, Arizona, North Carolina all have similarly priced "above average" courses. Those who have played in many states could help with the cost question.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

In Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina, you can play the above average courses weekdays for $25 to $40 incl cart, and on weekends, $40 to $65. Depending on how good you are about using the internet and taking advantage of specials. When I say "above average", I am excluding both the top 10 percent of courses, as well as the dog tracks. There is some seasonal variation in rates as well but often the specials are more influenced by the specific weekend weather forecast, then by the time of year. The areas near and in the big cities such as Atlanta, also tend to be at the higher end of the scale listed above, while you can go maybe 30 to 50 miles out and be at the lower end.

A good example is Chateau Elan, about a 45 minute drive from downtown Atlanta - about 25 minutes from my house. A fairly well known winery and resort with large high priced homes inside a gated community. They have two 18 hole semi private courses that have had internet coupons all last year for $35 weekdays and $50 weekends including cart and range balls.

Great Topic, probably no definite winner a poll would have been cool.

That said my vote goes to North Carolina for all the reasons stated previously. You have a Top 5 course in the US that you can play, you have great public courses at reasonable prices, you have the beach, you have the mountains and everything in between. Climate is great year round, a bit chilly in January at times.

California I think would have to be 2nd place. It has all the above things as well....but it's too far away :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Great Topic, probably no definite winner a poll would have been cool.

That said my vote goes to North Carolina for all the reasons stated previously. You have a Top 5 course in the US that you can play, you have great public courses at reasonable prices, you have the beach, you have the mountains and everything in between. Climate is great year round, a bit chilly in January at times.

Definately can get cold in the winter here, but I played golf in 70* weather on Jan 1 a couple years in a row. You will get at least a week of 60-70* weather every month in the winter, every single year.

• 4 weeks later...

Massachusetts. Well, let's say New England and its collection of states. Don't call me crazy. Here's why.

Sure, we could lock ourselves up once November comes knocking. No, no. If it's above 30 and not too windy, you can bet we'll be out there - the W-F-Su crew, using driving range tees because of the solid ground.

While this is partly in jest, I truly feel like New Englanders have a different appreciation for the game. Once trees are blooming in early May, it is as though we are rewarded for our patience and there's no stopping us.

Mass has some beautiful, traditional courses, though. Check 'em. In May.

I think that if you want the truly best golf experience. I'd vote either Alabama or Georgia. I've played all over, but in the deep south you've got bermuda greens, Champions, Tif, bent, etc. All because the weather can support it all. Also the crowds are generally very reasonable. There are also plenty of courses of every caliber, the kind where you go to play for as cheap as possible up to the ultimate in private courses. I guess if I had to choose one, I'd have to say if you took out the RTJ Trail (IMO the best golf value in the nation) and Augusta National, which are both states premier courses. I'd have to say the rest goes to Georgia, so I'll say thats my favorite state!

Titleist 910 9.5 Tour AD DI 7x
TM 07 Burner TP 14.5 Redboard 70x
TM 07 Burner TP 17.5 Blueboard 70x
Titleist AP2 KBS Tour X
Cleveland 52, 58 DG Spinner
Scotty

TN

AZ is too expensive in the winter, the courses get REALLY packed, and IMO, there isnt a lot of diversity unless youre paying $100+ per round.

Johnson City, TN (and the tri-cities area) was voted 2nd in the nation for places to live and play golf. Great courses, close to NC courses, cheap yet great golf

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options